Mayan Palace Resort / I want everyone to know about this scam!

I was also a VICTIM of the Mayan Timshare SCAM!! Here is my story, very similar...

I would like to take a minute of your time to tell you about a business that is using fraudulent information and illegal sales practices to steal thousands of dollars from unsuspecting citizens, who are now victims of fraud. My story is just like hundreds of others that are documented throughout the internet; a victim of a timeshare company who is only interested in money and power. It started off as a planned trip to Mexico with my girlfriend, through an RCI exchange. We arrived at the Mayan Palace in Nuevo Vallarta on August 27, 2006. During check-in we were asked if we wanted to upgrade to the Grand Mayan in exchange for attending a 90 minute timeshare presentation. We accepted and went the next day at 8am. The 90 minute presentation turned into a six hour sales pitch marathon.

Don't get me wrong, the Grand Mayan Resort is beautiful and breath taking. But the tactics they use to get you into a contract and keep you in that contract are illegal:

- I was told after signing the agreement that I was "locked in" and the contract could not be canceled. I trusted in what I was told by Vicente (my salesman) even though I had doubts about what I had done after the transaction. If I had known about the 5 day "cooling-off" period I would have done research while still in Mexico to verify what I was told in the presentation regarding value of the timeshare and rental prices, which are not even close to being accurate. After discovering this information I would have canceled my contract.

A female named Priscilla guided me through the paperwork process. She had me initial next to each paragraph in the new member verification statement after she read it aloud. Nothing in this document talks about the five (5) day cooling-off period. The only document that does mention this was skipped over and not explained at all. Priscilla merely told me to sign the bottom of the page and then quickly put the document into my binder. Vicente came over and reminded me that I could not cancel the contract now that it was complete. Later, Vicente told me he threw in an extra vacation week for me next year. I asked Vicente how he did that and he said he added it in the paperwork and the management didn't catch it. I later found out there was no mention of any extra week in any of my paperwork, nor did customer service know anything about it when I called them after returning home.

- Vicente told me that a one-week rental of a 2-bedroom unit was renting for $2,500. Vicente wrote this and many other figures on a laminated piece of paper showing how I could pay off the money I spend to buy into Mayan Resorts in nine (9) years and anything after that would be total profit. None of this information that Vicente wrote down or talked about was put into my paperwork. I did research on the figures that Vicente gave me after my vacation was over. I found the figures he gave me were NOWHERE CLOSE to what is accurate. Timeshare User Group is renting the same units for $500, and Ebay lists them for $650. I even found timeshare RESALE on Redweek.com for $3,000. Just the maintenance fee alone is $785 per week you own, which makes this deal a total loss. To make the deal work, Vicente gave me a $20,000 credit if I would give my fair weeks back to Mayan Palace. Nowhere in my contract does it make any mention of this account. RCI has bonus weeks offered to my Mayan Palace that are less cost than my maintenance fees. During my research I found that these are developer weeks, which Mayan Palace rents out at my cost.

- Vicente assured me that the resale of my timeshare would increase greatly, especially with the new resorts being built. He told me that prices would increase in January , and would continue to increase at 15% a year. As I recently reported, I found a Mayan timeshare resale listed at $3,000 on Redweek.com and a 2-bedroom unit on Ebay sold for $6,500.

- Vicente did not tell me, nor is it mentioned in my paperwork, that once I became a Grand Mayan member, I could not trade into Mayan Palace or Grand Mayan resorts through RCI as I previously did. Mayan Resorts has placed restrictions on current owners, preventing them from exchanging, even I uses weeks from another timeshare.

- I was told that I would receive a golf package with my purchase, which entitled me to 20% off. Vicente listed off the names of the cities they currently have resorts in, but failed to mention that Mazatlan does not have a golf course.

- I purchased red weeks, but it excludes Christmas, New Years, Easter, and Holy Week, which I was told of. I was never advised that the resort in Mazatlan excludes the months of February and March.

- Two months after I got back from Mexico I called to see what the status of my timeshare was that I traded-in to be able to buy into the Grand Mayan. I was told that Mayan Resorts canceled the trade, so I was still responsible for that timeshare as well.

This scam is very well thought out. Mayan Resorts have you initial paperwork to assure that you were not deceive or misled in any way. Which is true at the time, so people initial it. After completing the contract and doing research, it is obvious after the fact that it is a trap.

There is no doubt that the Mayan Resorts are very beautiful. I had a wonderful stay there and would have recommended the resorts to anyone. However, due to the illegal sales practices and the fraudulent information I was a victim of, I want everyone to know about this SCAM, so no one else has to suffer.

Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Wa
      17th of Aug, 2018

Read this free report, 13 Shocking Secrets The Timeshare Industry Does Not Want You To know.

I used to work at the Mayan Palace in Cancun.

Best of luck

22nd of Sep, 2016

Does anyone have the Houston office phone number or any. Or any number would help. My mom and aunt owned a timeshare together but my aunt recently passed away and my mom needs to find out what to do.

15th of Mar, 2016

I also had a horrible experience with them. I've purchased my timeshare 3 years ago, and it's been impossible to get out. I was pressured to sign a contract, and i was also scammed, they never did what they promised. We must do whatever it's in our hands to put finish to those thieves!!!
    I was looking for some information about this resort and all their scam tactics, and i've found these articles that have a lot of info
    about them, take a look!

15th of Mar, 2016

about them, take a look:

• Al
      8th of Dec, 2015

The best advice is NEVER buying a timeshare anywhere. It is a scam and the so-called timeshare you buy is sold over and over again to other people. It is very difficult to sell your timeshare now and renting isn't in the deal. It will cost you more to buy a timeshare and maintenance fee than to rent a hotel room or a full ownership of a condo. Don't do it. There is good information about this company: http://www.timesharescam.com/blog/201-how-to-cancel-mayan-palace-timeshare-contract/

• Al
      18th of Sep, 2015

This company is one of the most fraudulent developers ins the timeshare industry. The only thing you can do is cancel your timeshare contract. I recommend you to visit http://www.timesharescam.com/blog/200-vidanta-vacations-timeshare-complaints-and-reviews/, there is good information about these fraudulent companies.

• Di
      22nd of Dec, 2014

yes, a scam. it is truly despicable that trusting people are told a butt-load of lies, initial and acknowledge through signatures they are being scammed and then dutifully hand over the money. we paid the preferred program to rent out our unit over 2 years ago. what a shock...no takers!!! unfortunately, this is a "too good to be true" situation and many fall for it. it very sad that people are lured into this.

• Vi
      17th of Oct, 2013

We were also scammed with a Mayan Palace Timeshare. They claim they don't misrepresent themselves. Yet the promises and the drinks ease you into signing. Once you've done that, you are screwed. Through all the other initials on your contract, you realize you initialled, that they don't misrepresent themselves. Now you are up the creek. We had 2 timeshares they claimed that Alliance marketing would sell for us in 3 months max. We would recoup the money we paid at the Grand Luxxe and would net out ahead of the game. Well 15 months later, I am out $30k and I still have the original timeshares. I have also not heard a word from Alliance marketing in several months. Plus I found out they are a marketing group, thus not legally allowed to sell. I have had to take a 2nd mortgage out on my house. All the answers I have seen from the Mayan on various websites show they are not at all interested in helping out. Do they not have a concious? you should read this article about Mayan Palace:

• Br
      8th of May, 2013

Mayan Palace sales tactics are hardcore and they will tell you anything you want to hear to get you into the contract and keep you in contract with them. Most of the Mayan Palace Timeshare Scam being committed by the Sales representative is that they don’t let their buyers know they have a 5 days cooling period if they wish to cancel; instead, they repeatedly tell they buyers once the contract is being sign there is no cancellation period. I recommend you all to read this article about the Mayan Palace Timeshare scams:

• Ko
      16th of Aug, 2011

Do you know how long does it takes profeco to respond? I have sent my documentation and I'm waiting for their reply.

• Ti
      5th of Aug, 2011

my problem is the use fees we were quoted are entirely wrong. I was quoted 585. user fee for 2 bed unit at mayan Palace and 1050 for the Grand mayan. Now whe i tried to book it is 1250. for the Mayan Palace and 1400 for the Grand Mayan. no where near the 585. quoted. Im going to contact Mexican authorities as stated in a few posts up.

• Vi
      1st of Feb, 2011

Dear "YM",
    We are truly committed to customer satisfaction. Our members and our guests are our highest priority and we work hard day and night to make sure your vacations in Mexico are amazing each and every time.
    For that reason, we urge you to contact us at [protected]@grupovidanta.com or by telephone at: 1-800-292-9446. Give us the opportunity to assist you properly and allow us to help you make the most out of the benefits acquired with your membership with us. We would very much like to know who you are to provide you personalized assistance.
    We take every case very seriously and we will not rest until we have exhausted every reasonable means available to us to deliver the satisfaction we promise.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Sincerely,
    Karen Rose
    Customer Support Representative.

• La
      2nd of Nov, 2010

JESSER89

Can you please tell me how or what rental company you use. I am thinking of going with Global Marketing Connections. What is the average amount you receive back from the rental company? I am not sure yet if this is all a scam.. but if I can find a few people who love it and are making some money..I wont feel as worried as i do now.

18th of Oct, 2010

If you dont want a timeshare or cant affort a timeshare DONT buy it... sales people are crooks EVERYWHERE...
    I've had a Timeshare with Mayan since 2006 and LOVE it I go 4 times a year, I have no problems renting it out.. and I up graded last year to the bliss.. I've never heard of any of the sales people being charged with murder.. maybe poor business practice

And rule of thumb... READ WHAT YOU'RE SIGNING.. I DID.. I'VE HAD NO PROBLEMS..

**and to the tool who was wishing cancer and other ailments upon people... karma is a [censored]..

10th of Nov, 2008

This hotel chain hasn't improved in scams or health. We went there and were badgered for an hour to do the extra freebies for just a timeshare talk. I was pissed off at that but I had such bad food poisoning from this hotel an ambulance had to come and I had to stay overnight in the hospital it was so bad. I was on medication for two weeks after the hospital.

THEY SCAM AND THEY POISON. BAD FORM ALL AROUND!

30th of Jul, 2008

First of all, you will never get $2500 a week for rental properties.
    I know, since I believed this went I bought this timeshare. I practically give the unit away each year for the Maintenance Fee.
    The Next biggest SCAM is the timeshare Resellers ! I shelled out $600 to three companies offering to sell my timeshare (total $1800). This is another great scam that I was a victim. The only thing you can do is try to rent it at a minimum you can live with or dump it for any price you could get.

7th of Jul, 2008

Just got back from Cancun and bought here. Wasn't sure if we want to cancel. Seems like we have passed the 5 day cancellation period. Anyone happy? Any advice?

• Ed
      5th of Jul, 2008

Dear All:

Definitely Mayan resorts are a group of thieves, there are hundreds of cases of swindles.
    Why don´t You all try to sue the company with the local authority in Mexico? In Mexico there are a public department called PROFECO it works like a customer rights support office.

Is time that We ask for Our rights, is no fare that We work hard in order to have some money and come these kind of bad people to take off Our money.

I ´m sending the PROFECO web page link: www.profeco.gob.mx/

• Am
      5th of Jun, 2008

WOW! At least I am not alone.

I was reading on http://www.mexicantimesharefraud.com/CancellationLetter.htm
    that a woman was able to back out of her contract after the 5 day period. I am going to give it a try.

Alos on http://www.mescam.com/index.htm, there is great info about starting a web site against the Mayan Group that may lead to payment. I want to start one so if anyone is interested, post a message back.

• Ci
      28th of Jun, 2017

@Amanda yes if you work within the 5 days period it really works - best done via e-mail - see this website
    www.mescam.com

• Er
      31st of Mar, 2008

Please disregard my previous comment as my complaint has been resolved with Mayan Palace.