Escape To Paradise / Fraud

1 IL, United States Review updated:

Former Marine Sgt. Viet Nam vet & wife (both suffering from cancer), scammed by local timeshare sales company.

A Newport Beach, Ca. Timeshare re-sale company called
Paradise Escapes, aka Escape To Paradise (Owners, Melinda & John Hofferbert)
3848 Campus Drive. Suite 217 – 218
Newport Beach, Ca. 92660
Phone [protected] or [protected] or FAX [protected]
Website WWW.ParadiseEscapes.Net at Sales@ParadiseEscapes.Net has added yet another customer complaint to their shady sales resume’.

It seems their standard sales pitch is that they call a timeshare owner with the ruse of having a buyer that is interested in buying their timeshare. They then pressure the owner with the prospect of having a ready, willing and able buyer, and convince the owner that their timeshare is worth much more than it actually is and solicit an up front fee of $399.00 and up. By inflating the actual worth of the timeshare, Escape To Paradise believes they do not have to worry about paying back the upfront fee (of $399 and up) because this clause in their Sales Agreement (Escape To Paradise will refund my fee if you find a buyer within 20% of my asking price with proof of sale from resort) would not have to be honored because no sane buyer would ever pay anywhere near 20% of the inflated list price.

With the inflated recommended selling price (in this case, the recommended sales price by the agent, Brittany Lowe was $20, 000 to $25, 000). Ms. Lowe knew that the timeshare would never sell for any where near that price and really did not care if it ever sold; all she wanted was the $399.00 up front.

There have been other complaints, all similar in nature, about this shady company.

Comments

• Vi
      27th of Feb, 2009

i am also trying to speak to anyone at escape to Paradise. I have been unable to reach them by telephone andor fax for 1 year.

• Kr
      23rd of Mar, 2009

I'm very unhappy with this compan. Not only do I get a different story each time I call to check on things but no one seems to know what's going on. I recently lsited my timeshare to be rented and or sold. I was told 3wks ago that they had a renter for me and that I should be recieving a check in theamount of $1400 for the wk they were going to rent. Well here it is 3wks later still no check in my hands and today they tell me that there never was a check and that I would not be getting one. Come to find out some one stayed in my timeshare during my designated week according to my timeshare people but Escape to Paradise claims no one was there.
    If anyone would like to join me in possibly going after Escape to Paradise in a legal fashion please feel free to contact me @ kristin32544@yahoo.com. Maybe if enough of us can get together we can fight this company to get back our original fees that they charged us.
    Kristin L.

• Lo
      26th of Mar, 2009

eat my balls

• Re
      27th of Apr, 2009

I have to respectfully disagree. Initially when I signed up with them I didn't get any offers. Three months into it though I lowered my asking price and that did the trick. Two weeks after lowering my price I was able to get it sold. I advise those of you that are not presently satisfied with their service to reevaluate your asking price to make sure it is competitive with other resales. If you price it for a "buyers" market like I did you too can get a sale. Sure I wish I got more money but the big picture is I no longer have to pay the annual fees for the rest of my life and am out from under the 16% finance rate I was paying so all in all I am happy and think I came out ahead. Melinda was always very sweet and professional.

S. Tate
    Pompano Beach, FL

• Ju
      19th of May, 2009

I was scammed the same way. Sebastian Newman called me daily to get me to let him sell my timeshare. Very nice guy...

I finally paid $199.00 for the gifts to the interested parties that were looking at my timeshare and have not heard from them since. No calls returned.

Just have to write it off as to another scam! Despicable!

Julie
    julie@fleurdelisrealestate.com
    Louisville, Ky

• Cr
      25th of Jan, 2010

The guy from Pompano Beach is a friend of John Hofferbert. Paying to list your timeshare with this company is stupid. If you give them money for any reason, you're stupid.

Total scam. It's set up like a scam. It smells like a scam, because it is. If you're lucky enough to
    be doing your research before getting suckered out of $500, good for you. Forget doing any type of business with them.

Consider yourself lucky you took the time to do your homework. You probably should have done that before you let the timeshare salesperson con you into buying it in the first place.

If you want to sell your timeshare, put it on Ebay. Price it rockbottom and it will be gone by the end of the day.

John Hofferbert is a ###.

• Di
      26th of May, 2010

This is true, these guys are pure scam artists, how do I know? I worked in their office, it only took a couple days until I realized what they were actually doing to people. They straight out lie to people over the phone, telling them they are in a showroom
    (which is their dinky sales office filled with balloons (which they claim have buyers on the weekends) As I was training my job was to listen in on Melinda's sales pitches, one where she was taking a senior lady on a fixed income, promising her that her property would sell! That was it for me-

I don't understand how they can still be in business they are crooks!!!

• Cr
      29th of Aug, 2010

my husband and I fell for the same load of crap, cost us $599.00 in 07 to lease our timeshare in Vegas.Good ole John and David Stewart the sales manager who conned us some day will have someone con them also...Then they'll know how it feels... Shame on them for making a living this way. Just goes to show that not everyone has a conscious...I'm grateful that's all the thieves took me for.

• De