Casablanca Ceiling Fans / Circuit Boards / Bunch of crap!

The motor on my expensive Casablanca Fan is only 2 yrs old. The circuit board is blown and I have to wait 60 days to get a new one, because everyone says they are back ordered from the factory. I think that means there are alot of blown circuit boards out there. The cost of the circuit board is running from $69. - $85., I did find one guy that wanted $125., I asked him why so much. He says they're in high demand. What a bunch of crap. I am probably going to go out and buy a new ( cheap ) fan, that will last a lot longer.

Ma
Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Ve
      11th of May, 2016

At this juncture I'm a very angry, dissatisfied customer. The light on the fan in question quit working, so I looked up and went through the "procedure" for "fixing" the "dip switch" problem as stated in your trouble-shooting guide as the first step. When that didn't correct the problem I called you directly, and after "being put through the useless process of checking the dip switch setting" again by your person on the phone, I ordered (for $50 bucks) a new receiver module. Which I installed, again with no change in the "no light" situation. The second time I called, I was supposed to receive an e-mail with a schematic and a case number, but that information never came. So I called yet a third time and was told to take the fan to a "Casablanca Service Center."

Unfortunately, the only one available is more than 50 miles from my home, so I proceeded on my own to troubleshoot the problem. None of the available wiring diagrams for this fan show a part you list as a NO BYPASS ASSEMBLY. But after I removed it and obtained the part number, I found it in your parts list. Nowhere in any of your trouble-shooting information do you make reference to this part or it's function, but the Internet sure does. With several dozen "how to" videos showing your customers how to remove it so that the 100 watt lamp actually operates at 100 watts, instead of 40 just watts.

Now, I understand that this little goody is a government-mandated addition, but it is a MISREPRESENTATION OF YOUR PRODUCT to state that it has a 100 watt light. We have struggled for all the years we have had this fan, with the fact that it didn't give off enough light to light the room where the fan is located. The fan it replaced had a 100 watt incandescent light which was the primary illumination in the room in which it is installed. We even went to the trouble of buying another 100 watt halogen bulb to see if the supplied bulb was the problem. Although I should, I am not going to get my lawyer to sue you, but suffice it to say you are a disgrace as a company for not making it very clear in your product description that the light does not, in point of fact, give 100 watts of illumination. Furthermore, to call a CURRENT LIMITER, a NO BYPASS ASSEMBLY is simply prima facie evidence that you are trying to hide from your customers, the fact that you have been mandated by the government to reduce the lamp's output by the installation of this part. And finally, it's really an abuse of your customers, like me, when you don't even have your technical support people offer this part as a potential solution to the problem of the light not working, when you can readily deduce from the negative comments on the Internet that it’s a problem part! We put Casablanca fans in our home when we built it 30 years ago. The fan in question is a replacement for one of those fans, which lasted for more than twenty years. I can only conclude that now that you are owned by Hunter, things have changed and the quality and integrity of Casablanca Fans has been compromised by their ownership. One thing is certain, we will be looking to your competitors when the time comes to replace any of the other ceiling fans in our home.

• Ju
      4th of Oct, 2015

Try replacing a bulb in the dome that is as hard as well to come off. I was told to push up and turn clockwise but that was a useless suggestion. If you can't screw off the dome then what ? Just I'll have to remove the fan and replace it with a Hunter fan. I will never buy another POS Casablanca fan ever again.

• Er
      6th of Aug, 2014

We have nine Casablanca fans bought over 15 years. The older ones just keep on working. Our problem is with the newer fans. Our 19th Century fan in the bedroom lasted 3 years before dying. We had it repaired by an authorized Casablanca repairman who replaced the circuit board and then issued the W-85 to match the circuit board. Several hundred dollar job. One year later the W-85 no longer controls the fan - don't know if it is the circuit board or the wall controller. Not sure I want to go the repair route. Perhaps convert to remote control unit? Agree with others that documentation for disassembling of the fan is lacking.
    Hunter buying Casablanca is kind of like Howard Miller buying up the older clock makers - which now don't produce the fine time pieces that are reliable.

• Dn
      19th of Jul, 2014

We just bought a used Casablanca Panama II fan. We installed it according to the instruction manual and cant seem to run the fan without the light on. If we turn the power on the light comes on. If we touch the light button the light dims and brightens but never goes off. The only way to turn off the light is to turn off the fan too. How can we fix this problem. Why is this happening?

17th of Sep, 2013

I've owned a Casablanca Ceiling Fan (model# 49G73H) for approximately 2 ½ years and I’ve had no issue until (you guessed it) now. The remote will not power-up the fan or the lights. I went through the trouble of removing the fan. You have to understand that the ceiling is north of 15’ and getting up there was laborious. Enough of my whining; I removed the fan thinking (hoping) that the issue was electrical. To my surprise, the electrical system was fine. I could not believe that a Casablanca fan would be faulty. The reason why I purchased a Casablanca fan to begin with was due to Casablanca’s’ good reputation. That’s until I saw this complaint board. I will try to repair it myself but if I fail, I will be purchasing a “Home Depot” brand.

• Mi
      15th of Jan, 2013

My 19th Century Casablanca's inteli-touch switch had a slow death... the fan switch would be intermittent... then finally it would no longer step the motor speed... lights work fine... I called Casa and was told a $120 repair kit was available... I said I think all I need is the wall switch... they said they no longer make them... That tells me the China parts were funky... I called the FanMan and was told it was the PC board... the guy swore by that... so I coughed up a hundred bucks and just got it in mail... zero instructions... so I’m looking for an assembly drawing of my model... I found one on Casa's sight, but it was for the RF model (with antennae)... I've got the step motor antique bought in 2008... Since I’ve got just less than 5 years… maybe I’m lucky… this fan is in the master bedroom and my wife uses it heavily... anybody know an URL for R&R the PC Board?
    Cheers, JEff

• Pl
      10th of Oct, 2011

Nice try,

Any company that claims to put out a "world class" fan and claims to be the first to make a microprocessor control of the fan and lights using the w32 inteli touch ought to at a minimum put out electronics that don't repeatedly fail and ultimately cost the consumer more money in repairs than the original expensive cost .

In the end this pretty fan is a useless piece of junk, since it cannot reliably be controlled.

Probably a class action suit is needed here.

• Fi
      21st of Apr, 2011

I have been a service tec. for casablaca fans for over 26 years. These fans are the best fans you can buy.there are millions sold and very little need fixing. I handle the hole east coast, from ct. ny. to fl. and all over the world. If you dont get the propere service call me I will make sure your very happy with the fan. my web. site is www.fixmycasablacafan.com

• Wr
      19th of Feb, 2011

I just had a two year old Casablanca fan repaired at a service center for a customer. Cost her over $200 plus my labor costs.. Ridiculous for an expensive ceiling fan!!! They replaced the receiver that only carries a 90-day warranty along with the motor which was just fine before the service co. got a hold of it.

• Mo
      28th of Jan, 2011

Beware of major companies that operate out of suites. Once a good name in dsintegration. The 80's junk bond era isn't over, companies are still being purchased to be dismanteled & run into ths ground . Companies like Casablanca proves that.

• Mo
      28th of Jan, 2011

COMPANY IN DISINTEGRATION!!!, Don't order from this company if you need a light fixture to go along with the fan. Casablanca is still using their 2010 catalog to order from. The problem with ordering out of their 2010 cataloge, is many of the items there within are no longer in production.
    Most Casablanca retailers stock a minimal amount of Casablanka products & have to order your purchase from Casablanca once you make the purchase." especially companies that operate through the internet".
    Casablanca is so disorganized, here we are at the end of jan. 2011 & their customer service told me they won't have the 2011 cataloge available untill the end of Feb., or into March
    So here I am haveing ordered a fan & a light fixture to only find out the next day the light fixture is no longer available & where I'm mounting the fan needs a light also. So what do I do, wait untill Feb Or Martch to find out what light fixtures are adaptable to my fan or take the fan back & start my search for a fan & light fixture all over again.

• Ko
      23rd of Jan, 2011

IF YOU'RE EVEN CONTEMPLATING BUYING A CASABLANCA, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND SKIP IT. THEIR PRODUCTS FAIL NOTORIOUSLY AND PARTS ARE SUPER EXPENSIVE, NOT TO MENTION THE AGGRAVATION. IF THERE ARE ANY LAWYERS IN THIS POST, PERHAPS THERE IS ENOUGH FOR A CLASS ACTION.

• El
      17th of Jan, 2011

The house I purchased has Casablanca fans with the W-32 Controller. It is true that the owner's manual cautions to switch off the power at the breaker box when replacing a bulb in the light attachment. In real life these things can be forgotten. Why is it even necessary ? Electronic protection circuitry is widely used and inexpensive. A family member replaced a bulb and that blew the electronics card. Casablanca want $160+ for a new one. I'll pass on that and buy a fan that is designed for life on planet earth.

• Dr
      31st of Dec, 2010

Yet another failure. I have now had another failure of the Inteli Touch control system. That makes two failures in this one fan. I am now on the hunt for parts. What a bunch of crap this control system is.

17th of Dec, 2010

I have 5 Casablanca fans, all with XLP motors: an older Cathay I just love, a Bel Aire and a Bel Air Halo, a nifty looking Verrazano in the LR and a functional Brescia? in kitchen. I have not had any problems with any of them in 3+years, but I would advise anyone who lives in the boonies like we do - Northern California - not to buy them because dealers go out of business around here and electricians don't know how to do them (we installed most of them ourselves) so the service issue would be a real problem - no "service centers" for 200 miles around so " who you gonna call? " I have had two Intelli touch W-32 wall controlls die on me, but it was my fault - I tried installing a second controller (different wall) for the same fan and botched it up. The Bel Airs can be noisy at lower speeds, maybe because the blades are oversize for the rooms I've installed them in but when you crank them up - they're quiet and heavenly! Not sure what I would install if I were buying today...

• Ke
      6th of Jan, 2017

@NorCal1 Hi, I have an older Cathay that I brought...to Northern California...and tried to install it. I got a noise from the fan but nothing else so began my trek in trying to figure out how to fix it. I am thinking of trying a new receiver kit and/or a new W-32 wall controller...any advice? [protected]@yahoo.com

• Ju
      21st of Aug, 2010

I have two Casablanca Fans the first one, a Bresia, I bought in 2004 and it has been perfect (hope it lasts). The second a Stealth I bought four months ago. It makes strange sounds like ting-ting or klop just a few times a day, I seems to make the sounds on the low speeds. It is making them more and more. A repair guy came out under warranty and couldn't find anything (I wasn't particularly impressed with him). I've called Casablanca again and a manager was supposed to call me back in 24 to 48 hours but after fours days I haven't heard from them. I've taken the heat shields off because it sounds like it's hitting them, I've never heard it if I take both off but I still hear it with one off. One problem with trouble shooting the fan is that they have now documentation, no parts list or break out diagrams. Also it's hard to try and figure anything out when I can't get near the motor with big blades spinning. Does anyone know is there a site that explains fixes or at least has suggestions on what to do. Casablanca's repair web site basically said it's probably a loose wire or nut. I'm very unhappy with the product.

• Fr
      17th of Aug, 2010

I have 4 Casablanca fans and have had to replace the circuit boards in each one. This is a very poor product. I have recently heard that Casablanca is back ordered on boards until September while they had promised their dealers the boards in July. In the meantime, Casablanca is charging $140 for a board. I can't imagine a worse way to treat customers. I will likely replace all my fans as I'm tired of dealing with the poor quality of Casablanca fans.

• Tr
      14th of Aug, 2010

I have a Casablanca fan also. The Intellitouch control works intermittently. I hav to press the fan then the light to get the light to come on and sometimes it doesn't come on; sometimes it flickers. My electrician called Casablanca and they said that it is the circuit board and is a common issue. Since the company are well aware of this problem they should have some sort of recall for that purpose. It is a rip off to continue to sell products with known problems and not care to stand behind the product. I wonder if any of this is an official consumer protection violation and a lawsuit could be filed. Maybe that would make Casablanca pay attention and fix defective products.

• Fl
      17th of Jun, 2010

Drummer 99, have you tried to call Casablanca about the issue? They would let you know that the Intellitouch fans cannot be used with a dimmer switch due to how the fans are controlled.

• Dr
      5th of Jun, 2010

In my last house I had 4 fans. One was a Casablanca. It is the only one that ever had problems.

Now I have a custom house and I put 10 fans in. 4 are Casablanca and the rest are other brands. I have had issues with 3 of the 4 Casablanca fans. I have had one issue with a Hunter fan but it was minor. One of the Casablanca fans cost almost a thousand dollars. We almost never use it, (as in about 10 times since installed just to show the room off). When it was about 18 months old the dimmer quit working. The light is on or off only. The two I have the most problems with have the Intellitouch controls. THEY SUCK!

I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER PIECE OF GARBAGE FROM CASABLANCA.

Buy Minkair. Never an issue with any of those fans. Better balanced, quieter, always work correctly. No failures what so ever. Less costly than the Casablanca crab.