Butterfly Download Network / No response, no refund!

I'm e-mailing to complain about butterfly download network (movie downloads). First, they have set up a "consumer report" webpage which recommends themselves over any other movie download service; I naturally decided to trust that recommendation and signed up with them. I have since been able to find out that this page was, at the very least, associated with the download service. Then, their service is not at all easy to use. There are errors on the webpages which make it hard to find out how to proceed. When I e-mailed them for help, they e-mailed back quickly with a standard set of instructions on how to successfully get started. When I became able to sign in to start downloading, the majority of the downloads they offered were accompanied by red or orange bands (indicating poor quality) or were in foreign languages--there were few good choices of movies or TV programs. I therefore e-mailed them to ask for a refund of my membership fee, which is part of their promise--to refund the full fee within the first 60 days. All of a sudden, I can't get a response from any of the 3 e-mail addresses I have. Also, nowhere on their website is an address, phone number, or other contact info (which should have been my first clue about them!) Anyway, I repeated my e-mails, and got a response from one of them--exactly the same info about using the download service! Nothing about my refund. All I've got left is to lodge complaints, hoping other people will not be taken in by these guys.

Thank you for the forum to post this complaint.

Va

Comments

Ke
  23rd of Nov, 2006

Thanks Buddy I had my Credit card out and was ready to give them money but then I said "This is to good to be true" And I read this. Thanks

Ba
  28th of Nov, 2006

To late for me I just found this page day after signing up with them, its riddled with corrupt files its impossible to download any file. also tried to get my money back, with no luck can anything be done to get this site barred?
Thanks

Ja
  4th of Dec, 2006

Also, too late for me. I doubt that I will be able to get my money back. I saw the recommendations on this site and wonder if they were put up by the owner of Butterfly!! Company should be investigated.

5th of Dec, 2006

I saw the "consumers choice" award, that from this site I see they awarded themselves. I took a look at the site and knew I would find this type of info on the company. The older I get the more skeptical I become. Thanks for the warning and the $40 you saved me.

Charlie

6th of Dec, 2006

Also too late for me; I really suckered for the fake recommendation at http://www.consumer-guides.to/moviedownloadreviews1/a.htm
Had I followed it for a few days, I'd become suspicious. I wonder if MasterCard would cancel? Thanks for the heads up; sure wish I'd investigated before banging in my card number. I'm also just clueless about what it is I bought; does LimeWire have anything to do with Butterfly? It seems to have a mind of its own. Live and learn (hopefully).

Da
  6th of Dec, 2006

I wish I had come here first. I have been trying to check out Butterfly Networks and "ConsumerGuides.to" for the last hour. PC World did not address Butterfly specifically, but warned of crummy file sharing sites offering "unlimited" downloads. Their list of movies just released to theatres this week was my first tip off! Thanks for saving me $40.

6th of Dec, 2006

Upon complaining, I was given url www.clickbank.com/cs/cs-inquiry.cgi and, thankfully I saved the page with the clickbank order number, and ALTHOUGH I haven't yet seen the credit on my charge card, it appears I'll be refunded. Of course, it could all be an elaborate sham.

Da
  12th of Dec, 2006

Stay away from butterfly network. It is definitely a sham. Ive just blown my money on them.

Ju
  15th of Dec, 2006

This this the biggest scam ever. I hate butterfly network. Stay the hell away from those jerks.

21st of Dec, 2006

I totally agree. Butterfly Download Network (BDN) is definitely a scam. The web site http://all-free-movie-downloads.com/ is the one the sucked me in and I was dumb enough to hand out my $40.

The BDN site, or at least the front of it, does have a very professional look. It makes you believe that it has all the movies, music and other goodies for download for forty bucks, for a lifetime. And it makes you believe the site owns them, legally.

Then I did the stupidest thing: I signed up. I then check the site out with the username and password they sent me. After I logged on, I found out the rest of the site (the back) is not very professionally done. Also the members page starts with "Welcome to the world of P2P ...". Peer To Peer? I started to get suspicious. (Remember the old Napster?)

Then I start checking out the links on the site, after all, dumb me did pay for it. They're all external links to sites to download files, usually movies or music, from untrusted/underground sources. BTW, you can just go to those pages without logging on to the butterfly download network ... I felt cheated.

I start looking at what's in those external sites. I discovered that some of the items offered are just released, like Eragon. I also discover some sites offers a download of Microsoft Office! From those two items alone, I concluded that most (I cannot say all) of contents those sites/links provided in the member's page in BDN cannot even be legal!

So I decided to cut my losses. I would rather loss a lousy forty bucks than to have the cops come after me for copyright violation. I did find this in Yahoo! Someone claims to successfully get a refund from BDN.

I just submitted my claim so hopefully the person who posted the reply is right. Regardless, I should have done more research before committing.

There are many more sites like BDN and even more "reviews" to recommend those sites. They all promise unlimited downloads for like $40 for a life time. As they say, if it is too good to be true, it is. Don't be an idiot like me. Stay Away!

22nd of Dec, 2006

Update: The refund process does work! You'll need to locate the e-mail that they sent you and click on the Customer Service link. (I have an e-mail from them saying that they'll refund it.)

In the drop down select "I would like to return the product" and in details just tell them you're not satisfied.

I do not know how long you can have from singing up before you cannot have it refunded anymore, but for those of you sign up recently, it is worth a try. (I've read from different places saying 30/60 days, but in my case it is more like 1 day).

Hope this is useful to all of you that want that $40 back.

De
  24th of Feb, 2007

I agree with all of the complaints about the Butterfly download network, and I only wish I had done more research. I just tried it on Feb 8, but I fell for the fake recommendation site. I, too, could not get anything to work. I have a mac and the limewire they offer is not for the version of OS that I have, Tiger. Also, I fell for the special pro package, which was all .exe files (which only work for PCs). When I complained to customer service, I did not get anywhere. I got two replies which gave me a generic faq. They had not read my letter at all. PLUS, when I hit "reply" to THEIR letter, it gave me "affiliates"@butterflydownloadnetwork.com which sends a letter that says not to write them. I didn't write them, customer service is set to reply to that other site. I wrote two strong letters demanding my money back and got NO REPLY. They are an utter scam. The movies I tried to download were going to take two t0 five days! This is with high speed access! I have sent for my refund through the click payment people-the website that I got for my receipt did not give me any way to get a refund. I have also complained to the payment company, that they should drop Butterfly from their list of clients as they are a ripoff and they will be handling a lot of requests for refunds if they keep handling Butterfly and people wise up.

Ma
  19th of Mar, 2007

Wow! Thank you for all those who have posted their stories.

I was hyped and about to get out the credit card and give butterfly a whirl!

WHOO! GOOD LOOKING OUT GUYS!

I'm glad I always check for reviews on the internet before taking the plunge!

Been there and done that!

Jo
  25th of Mar, 2007

I might be naive, but as soon as someone asks for money (without a demo option or free tour) I'm very suspicious.

Thanks for warning!!!

De
  25th of Mar, 2007

You guys saved me $40.00. I was ready to pluck down my credit card number and thought, I wonder if I can find anything out there about the Butterfly network before I buy in. The first few pages I found were all positive about it and then I found this page. I thought it sounded to good to be true and apparently it is.

I guess I'll just stick with 360 Share for downloading my music and Block Buster online for my movies.

Thanks for the tip.

31st of Mar, 2007

Lucky for me I realized it was a con when I asked for a refund and the e-mail I sent came back. Contacted my bank and stopped payment as I was wary, looks like Ive been one of the lucky ones.

1st of Apr, 2007

The butterfly network is a joke.The Downloads for software are free wares you can get many places on the internet. The links are to public sites you can access for free with a little googling. The 40$ they charge also does nothing to make your downloads of music or movies legitimate, they're still illegal downloads your paying for.Your basically paying for nothing you couldn't get for free anywhere else. All they've done is compiled a list of free stuff and put it all in one place. Stay away from them and tell your friends to do the same, that place sucks.

Va
  9th of Apr, 2007

Thanks for the advice. They almost lured me in with the glowing phony reviews. Good thing I decided to check it out first.

If you really want to watch movies for free and are not adverse to a little research and an illegal activity, check out BitTorrent file sharing where you actually can get free movies others have uploaded onto the net.

Once you decide which BitTorrent software you want to go with (there are several and they are free), try out The Pirate Bay.org. You will also have to download various media players like Xvid or DivX but they are also free.

Good Luck!

16th of Apr, 2007

Just found the "letter" and dumped my money. I will stop payment on the debit card tomorrow. These people need to be arrested.

Ga
  19th of Apr, 2007

Thank you so much. As a single mum you have just saved me money that i really cant afford to lose. I thought it was to good to be true!!