Child Protective Services, Arlington, VANothing but bad experiences with CPS

This review was posted by
a verified customer
Verified customer

I, also have had nothing but bad experiences with CPS.

On April 3, 2005, my daughter Sabrina was born to me. She weighed 7 lb. 4 oz. We were released from the hospital on April 5, 2005. On April 8, 2005, I took Sabrina to the pediatrician for a regular post-birth follow-up. She had lost weight (from 7lb. 4oz. to 6lb. 12oz.) so the pediatrician recommended supplementation with formula (I was nursing) and a follow-up visit several days later. I saw the pediatrician three more times after that initial visit. Although Sabrina’s weight only dropped to 6 lb. 10 oz., she did not exhibit a sustained weight gain. As a result, on that third visit, the doctor who saw Sabrina and me indicated that Sabrina’s weight loss and lack of sustained weight gain was more significant than I had been led to believe and he instructed me to admit Sabrina to the hospital.

So, on April 16, 2005, Sabrina and I were admitted to Virginia Hospital Center. Sabrina was admitted with a failure to thrive diagnosis. After increasing the amount of formula used to supplement my breast feeding, Sabrina gained weight. On April 19, I was visited by a social worker from the Arlington County Child Protective Services. On April 20, myself and my live-in companion, Kit Slitor, were compelled to sign a “Safety Plan” presented to us by the Arlington County CPS social worker. We were informed a refusal to sign would prevent the baby from being discharged. The following day, Sabrina and I were released from the hospital. On the date of release, Sabrina weighed 7 lb. 5 oz.

On April 22, the social worker and one or more home nurses visited our home. The social worker returned the next day, Saturday, April 23; however, we refused her entry, stating we wanted a “time out” while we retained legal counsel (a letter to that effect was handed to the social worker). Over the weekend they sought, and by Monday morning they retained, an attorney who immediately attempted to contact the social worker. (Another attorney who is a friend had attempted to contact the social worker over the weekend.) Notwithstanding the fact that counsel managed to speak to the social worker sometime late Monday morning, the social worker went forward with a request for an Emergency Removal Order which was granted. The Order was executed that day, April 25, and Sabrina was placed in foster care. At the time of removal, Sabrina weighed 8 lb. 1 oz., a 12 oz. gain from April 21 the day on which Sabrina was released from the hospital.

On May 2, the Court made a finding of abuse and neglect and ordered psychological evaluations for both myself and my husband. Those evaluations, which were performed by individuals hired by the County, occurred over the course of the next two weeks. Following those evaluations, a Foster Care Service Plan was developed by the County. The Plan’s stated goal was “return home” and it imposed several obligations on us parents, all of which we complied with. On July 5, the Foster Care Service Plan was presented to the Court and accepted.

Although visits were occurring between Sabrina and us, they did not occur on a set, regular schedule. The visits that did take place, took place at the County offices and were only approximately one hour in duration and usually no more than twice a week, although some weeks there was only one visit. By early September, for all intents and purposes, the visits had ceased, because Sabrina had exhibited increasing signs of distress. At a follow-up hearing on October 25, the Court ordered that a home visit occur. That visit occurred three days later, on October 28, after which both sides submitted to the Court memoranda summarizing the visit. On November 14, the Court issued a letter ordering that visits continue to occur in the our home. One such additional visit occurred, on November 23, approximately a month after the previous in-home visit. Those two visits are the only visits I had been able to participate in since late August/early September. My husband, whom the County wanted to evaluate as the potential primary caretaker since I had been ruled out by the County as such, did have several short visits on his own in October and one in December. (Kit Slitor and I got married in October.)

At a follow-up hearing in late November, the Court ordered both sides to submit a plan for facilitating the goal of return home, which both sides did. In mid-December, the Court informed both sides that it had accepted the plan submitted on behalf of myself and my husband, which contemplated regular, frequent visits with increasing duration accompanied by instruction from a qualified home-based services provider. The Court ordered that all visitation cease until the new reunification process could begin with the new service providers. The Court also ordered that we be financially responsible for the services to be provided.

Starting in January, that plan was implemented and the reunification process got underway. Initially, the service providers familiarized themselves with Sabrina and Sabrina with them. They then slowly and carefully reintroduced us to Sabrina in an effort to properly restart the attachment process. The visits occurred on a set schedule (3 days a week) in our home and, as time went on, the duration of the visits steadily increased. During these visits, we received parenting instruction and once a week they participated in a parent-infant therapy session. The amount of instruction provided by the home-based workers decreased as time went on.

This process continued until approximately June 15, by which time we were spending more than 20 hours a week with Sabrina and even had had two supervised overnight visits with Sabrina. Notably, throughout this process, Sabrina did not exhibit any of the distress she previously exhibited which had led the County to essentially terminate visits. However, on June 15, the Court accepted the County’s proposed change in goal, put forth in March, from “return home” to“adoption”. This occurred notwithstanding the Court’s acknowledgment that significant progress had been made in the reunification process and that we had maintained consistent contact with Sabrina.

A hearing on the County’s petition for termination of parental rights was scheduled for September 20, 21, and 22. However, on September 20, the parties agreed to the entry of an involuntary termination order. They also agreed upon continued visitation, albeit on a truncated scale (We then saw Sabrina only every other week for three hours which primarily is the result of the foster parents having moved to North Carolina), pending an appeal of both the change of goal and the termination to the Circuit Court for Arlington County. That appeal got underway in December 2006 and is scheduled to continue at least through April 24, 2007.

In addition to the judicial action, the County issued, on June 20, 2005, an administrative finding against us of physical neglect and failure to thrive, assigning the highest possible level to its finding. As a result of this finding, we were subject to having their names appear on the Virginia Department of Social Services Child Abuse/Neglect Central Registry for a period of 18 years.

Upon a request for an appeal, a local conference was held on November 30, 2005. The presiding official was the Deputy Director of Social Services for Arlington County. On December 6, 2005, the Deputy Director issued her decision which was to uphold the initial finding. We appealed this decision and, on June 21, 2006, that appeal was heard by a hearing officer designated by the Commissioner of the Virginia Department of Social Services. On September 1, 2006, the hearing officer issued his decision.

In short, the hearing officer determined that the Agency (i.e., the County) failed to prove by a preponderance of the evidence its contention that Sabrina met the criteria for a finding of physical neglect-failure to thrive and, accordingly, reversed the decision. As a result, we are no longer subject to appearing on the Child Abuse/Neglect Central Registry.

Despite having been exonerated in the administrative proceeding, on June 1st, 2007, Judge James Almand of the Fourth Circuit Court of Arlington County ruled to uphold the lower court’s ruling to terminate our parental rights and to deny the petitions for custody filed by Sabrina’s maternal grandmother Louise Hey.

Nancy Hey
Christopher Slitor

Nothing but bad experiences with CPS


  • Ta
    tammy lowrey Nov 26, 2017
    This comment was posted by
    a verified customer
    Verified customer

    I am so sorry to hear this has happened to you. I know and understand how hard it can be to have your child taken without due process and evidence. The judicial court forms opinions on there own set of rules based on cps workers that put words in their own perspective instead of the true facts. They will intimidate you play games and not communicate with u. I feel your pain.

    -1 Votes
  • Nancy Hey Feb 22, 2012
    This comment was posted by
    a verified customer
    Verified customer

    Many people are so disappointed in Congressman Jim Moran, for failing to do anything to stop the corruption of Child Protective Services in his district. This has certainly cost him many votes in his next election.


    0 Votes
  • Nancy Hey Mar 10, 2011
    This comment was posted by
    a verified customer
    Verified customer

    Thank you, CoNnEr(^_^)sPiKe !


    0 Votes
  • Co
    CoNnEr(^_^)sPiKe Mar 09, 2011

    wow what can i say
    may GOd bless yah

    0 Votes

Post your comment

    By clicking Submit you are agreeing to the Complaints Board’s Terms and Conditions


    Unhappy consumers gather online at and have already logged thousands of complaints.
    If you see dozens of complaints about a certain company on ComplaintsBoard, walk away.
    One of the largest consumer sites online. Posting here your concerns means good exposure for your issues.
    A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices.
    ComplaintsBoard is a good source for product and company gripes from especially dissatisfied people.
    You'll definitely get some directions on how customer service can best solve your problem.
    Do a little research on the seller. Visit consumer complaint websites like ComplaintsBoard.