logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (1 mins ago)
CheapOAir
Dirty dealing, lying and fraud
2. (1 mins ago)

Posted: 2012-11-23 by    Timinct

Dehumidifier recall

Sears
Connecticut
I just got the post card in the mail today 11/23/12 about the dehumidifier recall. I have two of them that are recalled. After searching here on the Internet I found the details of the recall. It looks like I should get $100 plus a $25 gift card for each one. Then I went to Sears web site to see a similar model that sells for $260.
So the recall says to immediately stop using the affected units. Now to get a replacement I have to spend $135 out of my pocket for each to replace them. Also to get rid of the old one it will have to have the refrigerant removed which cost money.
I don't understand how Sears thinks this is acceptable. I paid over $200 each when I bought them new and now they do a recall cause they are known to cause fires and they don't do a direct replacement??? This is totally unacceptable!!!
Comments United States Appliances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

23rd of Nov, 2012 by   notgonna 0 Votes
Totally sucks.
 27th of Nov, 2012 by   Timinct 0 Votes
I didn't ask for a "better and newer" model. Sears is recalling them. They should either fix or replace. Why should I have to spend more money to have the same working item??? So what if it is new. I didn't ask for an upgrade!!! Learn to read!

Bottom line is that if your going to recall a faulty item then you either fix or replace it.
 29th of Nov, 2012 by   SearsCare -1 Votes
Timinct,
I am Liz and I am a member of the Sears Social Media Support Team. I saw your post today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. I understand it can be to receive a post card regarding a recall for your dehumidifiers. In addition, I can see how irritating it can be to spend additional money to have them replaced. We would like to have one of our dedicated case managers speak with you on this issue. At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so you don’t have to be upset by this any longer. In the email, please provide a contact number and the phone number the dehumidifier was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. In addition, please include your Screen name (Timinct) in the email for reference to your issue. Again, we’re sorry for any trouble we have caused and we hope to talk to you soon.
Social Media Media Support
 1st of Dec, 2012 by   donna tor 0 Votes
I also have a dehumidifier which was recalled. I too followed the directions on the recall flyer to get credit towards a new one. Then I thought to myself Why should I have to pay more money to replace a item that has put me and my family in danger for the past 9 years. I called the recall center back and was told they have no power to replace the unit but if you go to your local Sears store they can decide to replace it . So off I went to my local Sears where I have always shopped for any major home products. The associates were not at all helpful and were actually very rude. After becoming totally frustrated from the run around I decided to check online to see if others were feeling the same way. I knew there had to others who also felt this recall is very unfair. I can't even remember all the appliances and products I've purchased from Sears over the years. All I know is I'm closing my account and taking my business elsewhere. I am also planning to return the defected unit back to the store and let them deal with getting rid of it. I also am very concerned about a mold problem developing in my home which I will hold Sears and LG responsible for.
 20th of Dec, 2012 by   Timinct 0 Votes
To Liz R.,
I followed your directions and still have yet to hear from someone at Sears Cares. I was told a case manager would contact me when available. Maybe I expect to much when it comes to customer service. Three business days have passed and nothing. This says that Sears does NOT care to me!

Thanks for nothing so far.
Tim
 9th of Jan, 2013 by   Timinct 0 Votes
Well Liz R where are you now???? No help or contact from Sears at all. Imagine that!!!
 7th of Jul, 2013 by   Frank Sch 0 Votes
Did Anyone ever receive any additional compensation from sears? I see on hear it looks like they basically left it at "too bad".
 9th of Jul, 2013 by   NJ-Disappointment 0 Votes
I just received the card in the mail this weekend. I have been using it for 11 months since the recall!!! Unbelievable if it is truly a danger.

Anyway, now I am faced with the same decision as stated above. I have $100 +$25 to spend to replace a working piece of equipment. ... but a new one of similar size and capacity will cost close to $300. Why can't they properly compensate me? Why can't they fix it like the car manufacturers do. I trusted Sears when I purchased one of their products. ... and now they give me a small amount of money and tell me to come and buy another at their stores? Why? So they can do it again?

I wish I was finding out about this earlier. I would love to get together on some kind of class action suit. Obviously, Sears has probably considered that. After all the lawyer fees, we consumers would probably end up with less than the $100 offered.
 20th of Jul, 2013 by   notsears 0 Votes
What a rip...Sears - Kenmore will give you less than 40% of cost to replace defective unit. Whirlpool also has a recall going on and they are fixing for no cost to consumer. LG and Sears is not standing behind there product and have weighed the cost to fix verse losing customers and they have chose to lose customer base by not standing behind there products. I have one of these units and they are offering a $75 dollars and a $25 coupon for a replacement that cost $229. You probably can find a better deal waiting for a sale so really no compensation at all for a defective unit.
 25th of Jul, 2013 by   SearsCare 0 Votes
Dear notsears,

My name is Dee M. with Sears Cares and we are here to assist you to address your questions or concerns about your defective dehumidifier you spoke about. We apologize for any trouble you are currently experiencing and we are here to help. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (notsears), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. We look forward to speaking to you soon, we appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Sears.

Dee M
 12th of Aug, 2013 by   slb30 0 Votes
Dehumidifier nonsense--Dee, I sent an email last week, with the requesting info, still no response, hoping to hear from someone soon!
 13th of Aug, 2013 by   slb30 0 Votes
Everyone should call http://www.cpsc.gov/ I called on 8/8/13, got a return call from LG within 24 hours, now lets see if the check actually gets to me. Of course it is going to take another week for them the mail the check which means I will see it in 2 weeks (if I am lucky) The way they have handled this is disturbing. Dee, I did send an email, still waiting to hear back from you!
 22nd of Aug, 2013 by   prettyflowers 0 Votes
I received a post card, also, and the dehumidifier I have had for a long time is the 70 pint, low temp model, which also is the most expensive model. I, too, looked online and a replacement for the one I have costs A LOT MORE than the $100 plus $25 coupon! $125 won't buy me a replacement either! Not even close! I don't have the money to put out for the difference on a working dehumidifier. It wasn't my recall. It was Sears' recall! I also agree that if THEY are recalling this item and that I am NOT to use it anymore, then it either should be FIXED at THEIR cost and THEIR shipping, or to give me exactly what it would cost to buy a new one! Oh, and while they are saying NOT to use it, my basement will increase its humidity to cause mold and mildew which is why I bought it in the first place 8 years ago! I do NOT feel that what they have offered to me is right! What it looks like to me is a sales gimmick more than a safety concern. After all, why has it taken all these years to get a recall out. What did it take to get a recall in place?? I have had mine since 2005. I would have to find my receipt for the exact date, IF I can still find it. Now it is 2013. On the CPSC website, it says that the recall took place effective August 2, 2012. Now it is a year later and I received my postcard last month!! Here is the link to the CPSC website for this recall: http://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2012/Sears-Recalls-Kenmore-Dehumidifiers-Due-to-Fire-and-Burn-Hazards/
I would like to see Sears and/or LG compensate for what it will cost me to purchase a new one. It is NOT my fault that something that they made has caused the problems. When something is wrong with a car, I have to take it in to the dealer to be replaced or fixed at THEIR cost, not mine! Hopefully Sears and/or LG will see what they need to do.
Mad B.
 22nd of Aug, 2013 by   SearsCare 0 Votes
Prettyflowers,
My name is Liz and I am with the Sears Cares escalations team. At Sears, we pride ourselves on making sure our valued customers are satisfied with our products and services and it appears we have failed met that goal. We are terribly sorry for the mishaps you have been experienced with your dehumidifier. From your post we can see that we certainly have let you down and would like to offer some assistance. We would like the opportunity to speak with you to address your concerns and restore your faith in Sears. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name that you have been assigned to reference your post (prettyflowers), to smadvisor@searshc.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

26th of Aug, 2013 by   Phil Neal 0 Votes
Aside from the unfairness of how Sears decided to handle the recall I have another twist to add.
I followed their directions and mailed back requested material on 7/8/2013. My tracking # indicated it was received in Huntsville, AL on 7/10/2013. Not having received the promised rebate I called on 8/13/2013 and was told the material had not been received and that my call would be "escalated" and I would receive a call within 2 business days...right. I called back on 8/16/2013 and was told the material had been received but there was an issue with sending out any rebate checks...again with the escalated call promise which. to date. has not been received. I suspect the "call resolution" center, like many others today is not in the US but is the cheapest way Sears can handle their problems.
Needless to say, Sears will no longer get any of my business.
 28th of Aug, 2013 by   slb30 0 Votes
Dear Sears Cares...still waiting to hear from someone and as of today, still nothing...Good luck to the rest of you trying to get enough money for a replacement!
 29th of Aug, 2013 by   SearsCare 0 Votes
Phil Neal,
My name is Liz and I am with the Sears Cares Team. We are so sorry to hear of the frustrations you have encountered with your dehumidifier. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience and help any way we can to address any concerns you may have. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name that I have assigned to reference your post (Phil Neal), to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience we have caused you and look forward to speaking with you.

Tips For Avoiding Timeshare Scams