spinecore corporationfailing to fully inform patient about product information and use patient to test new design without informing them.

S

My daughter was dignosed with scliosis. I came a cross spinecore web site and it seemed like it was a good choice for me at the time. I called their 800 number and I was referred to dr Oullette how later I found out works out of Atlanta and he let me to beleive he was the only one of the experts in US for this type brace. He he fitted my daughter into the new design but failed to tell me that it was still in testing not only that but he didn't fit her in the right size shorts. The shorts were too small for her. On our first visit her promised to send us bigger size that never happened. I paid $4000 on the first visit for a brace that didn't fitt. pls give me a call they doctors are abusing the fact that parents like me are so desparate to do the best for their children that they are robbing us.

sam Jun 15, 2009

WHY is there no spinecor in philipines. need braces spinecor braces badly but dont know where to get it? and who to go to .

Sickofscammers2017 Apr 10, 2017

@sam Trust me. You need to stay away from these over priced braces.

• Ni
    nickb Jun 28, 2009

Spinecor is in Malaysia. www.scoliosis.com.my and we brace quite a fair numer of filipino patients

• We
    W.E. DeRegibus Mar 03, 2010

I happen to know Brian Oulette and he is very accomplished at bracing people utilizing the spinecor brace. Certainly the brace is expensive but no more than buying your child orthodontic braces. Having put three kids through braces, I know of what I speak. As to your reference to using the pants rather than the pelvic base, with its crotch and thigh bands; I am sure Brian was thinking of your daugther's comfort. In my opinion the pants represent a great innovation over the pelvic base. My guess is that your anger comes from buying a 4, 000.00 brace and then dealing with your daughters non compliance. We must remember that these braces are not magic they must be worn to work. As far as your not receiving the correct size shorts. The pelvic brace and or shorts both represent an anchor that must be imovable in order for the brace to work. However if it is true that the shorts are the wrong size call the 800 number and remind Brian that he was going to send you some.

Sickofscammers2017 Apr 10, 2017

@W.E. DeRegibus No. I do not believe the patient was non-compliant. I believe that if brace worked or helped they would not be complaining about it.

It does not matter how nice s person is. The big bad wolf in Red Riding Hood was nice, too.

• Di
    Distraughtcompletely Mar 14, 2011

I am in Canada, My daughter was diagnosed with sever scoliosis. A practice called Innovative Chiropractor recommended the spine core. After paying 3800., I found out that her degree did not qualify for it, it was to high. I questioned the chiropractor about it, told him I spoke to the inventor of Spine Core (he is a spinal surgeon) and he said it would not work, she would only qualify for surgery! The Chiropractor disagreed! I am now out 3800. plus xrays, the only good thing is my daughter has had her spinal surgery and is progressing well. This is what I call taking advantage of distraught parents that are willing to do anything they can to help their children and should be stopped!

Sickofscammers2017 Apr 10, 2017

@Distraughtcompletely Yes. These doctors take HUGE advantage of people's pain. Then have you sign a paper agreeing to no refunds. That alone should make people run. These braces are also NOT custom fitted. They come out of a box. The only thing "custom" about it is how long the piece of stretch spandex is. And that probably only costs $2.00.

Anyone can contact me that is thinking about buying one of these. I can tell my personal experience.

The brace caused huge issues for me. 2 surgeries that I would never have done if this brace had not made me so much worse!! Fact!!!

• Jd
    Jdot89 Oct 09, 2019

@Sickofscammers2017 Thanks for your input! I’m considering this as a last resort other than surgery. How or why would you say it made you worse?

Do you have any other alternatives for adult correction

• Ju
    just_me33 Mar 22, 2011

My daughter has been fit with a SpineCor brace. I was going to go through Dr Oullette. I was not feeling very good with my contact with them and thing seemed kind of odd when it came to insurance. So I started looking for other options. I am not sure if I have insurance coverage yet, but I found an orthotist who offers this brace and they will work with my orthopedist to ensure the brace is working correctly. My daughter has been given a brace to try out to ensure it works right before we commit to buying. The orthotist told me also the Soft pants brace IS NOT APPROVED TO TREAT SCOLIOSIS. It is for back pain. Becker orthopedic supplies this brace in the US. Go to the web site at this url http://www.beckerortho.com/spinecor.htm and see the brochures for yourself. I am not affiliated with spinecor or Becker I am just a concerned parent and wanted to report my findings.

Sickofscammers2017 Apr 10, 2017

@just_me33 You were very smart. I wish I had seen this site before going through with buying a brace from Dr. Brian Oulette. My gut instinct told me to not buy it. But he talked a good game. I did not want surgery.

I ended up with 2 other surgeries. Their no refund policy for no reason should scare anyone away. I questioned it. But he insisted it would help me. Lol. Always trust your gut. In my case it hurt my poor gut pretty bad.

• Aw
    Awm34 Apr 25, 2011

My daughter received the spinecor brace at 34 degrees and after 3 months she was 44 degrees, her breace was adjusted so the curve went to 39 degrees. Bottom line spinecor may not work for her, but then bracing of any kind does not always work. She was fitted by dr. Paris in maryland who was trained by dr. Ouellette. My insurance did cover part of the cost. We have accepted that it may not work and now we are looking into schroth, and will be seeing a top surgeon at Georgetown. She has a large torso and low muscle tone so we don't believe rigid bracing would work any better.

• Ti
    TimSandersen Mar 24, 2015

I think I can supply some helpful information regarding the above complaints. First of all, there are NO ORTHOTISTS certified/accredited to fit or purchase the SpineCor brace in the U.S. Secondly, Dr. Ouellette and his company are leading providers of the SpineCor brace. The comment about "odd" insurance issues probably stem from the complaintant having poor insurance or Medicaid, which does not cover the brace, yet will cover much more costly spinal surgery (go figure). The reason that Dr. Ouellette gave me for not providing the brace in-network is that he couldn't be in business providing the brace because it is a large part of the cost to the Dr. and patient. By the way, I will also comment on Schroth and any other exercise programs that supposedly correct scoliosis. Unfortunately, if you exercise to fix one dimension of the curve (which any exercise is limited to), you are likely to cause a reaction that will increase your curvature. You should only exercise while in a corrected position in order to build muscle and memory that supports a corrected position.

Sickofscammers2017 Apr 10, 2017

@TimSandersen Your comment seems biased. The brace is no way worth the cost. The fact that it is useless in so many cases and worsens problems by the looks of these complaints makes it a travesty considering what the cost is. I am truly hoping that Karma does prevail.

Sickofscammers2017 Apr 10, 2017

I wish I had seen these complaints before being another victim. Hopefully there will be a lawsuit against this kind of travesty soon.

This is the agreement they will have you sign. So please be aware. They are basically saying they could care less if this never helps or even hurts you. This is a huge some of money to just throw away.

Photo did not load.

Sickofscammers2017 Apr 10, 2017

Also Dr. Ouelette told me there was no complaints. My bad for being gullible enough to believe him.

• Pa
    Patricia Deyo May 03, 2017

I have severe rotational scoliosis. I recently spoke with Dr. Tom Pappas who works with Dr. Oulette in Mesa, Az. I'm currently trying to find the $5000 they quoted me for the brace. After 15 yrs. of pain and disability my breathing and digestion are becoming affected. I'm 66 and still have people to live for, so this could be a Godsend if it helps. After reading these comments, I'm not sure what to do. [protected]@yahoo.com

Sickofscammers2017 May 04, 2017

Deyo...The brace itself is nothing but spandex and Velcro straps. Very cheap. I have seen many therapists and doctors since purchasing it. It made my pain much rites and you will not get a dime of a refund. You will be curved to sign a paper that releases them of any obligation. I had a legal friend look at it. She said it looked like a way to
    scam people out if their money.

I have since found much better ways to help myself . Please be aware that they are protecting only themselves by you signing the agreement. I have attached what I had to sign. 3 days later I contacted them and they said no way they would refund. These braces are NOT custom made either. They come out of a box. The straps are only thing that they cut to a size and they just attach with cheap Velcro. I am sure they may have $5.00 invested in the straps. Not $5000!!!

Comments

Sickofscammers2017 May 04, 2017

@Sickofscammers2017 Sorry about typos. I meant to say it made my pain much worse. Plus I was forced to sign that paper to try brace.

• Ce
    Celine58 Sep 01, 2017

We went to Montreal to see the inventor and owners of Spinecor corp, Charles Hamelin Rivard and his wife, Christine Coillard. My daughter was diagnosed with a 22 degree scoliosis. We were never informed about this experimental brace. She had to wear that painful (very very tight) brace from age 11 to 17, 24/24 except for showers. Ended up at 17 years old with a 29 degree scoliosis. We paid 2 braces at 3300$ each. When the Ste-Justine got into trouble for letter those specialists trearlt with that brace, they both left for France where they are doing the same thing. Never touch that brace. Go for the rigid one like I did for my first daughter for 3 years and ended with a 22 and less pain. Those doctors can't practice in Canada anymore. But they keep selling those spinecor braces in different countrie. So sad!

Sickofscammers2017 Sep 01, 2017

Celine58...I am so sorry that you too were scammed abd your daughter suffered through all that for nothing.

I am hoping that one day these crooked doctors will
    have to answer for their greed and extra suffering they have caused people wanting and needing help.

The muscles are what usually pull the spine out of shape.

So if a special therapist took time to help find the cause of the muscle imbalance it could be helped much more than these useless overpriced braces that do really nothing but cause more pain and muscle atrophy.

Brian Ouelette was the doctor that sold this useless Spinecor brace in Florida. I am sure one day they will all be sued for malpractice. Just takes one lawyer who is not greedy and actually cares. Good luck with that too...So sad.

• Li
    linda Alfaro Jan 07, 2018

I would love to see a class action lawsuit started. My story is too long to tell but it was a nightmare to say the least and is still ongoing financially. It seems that most of the bad incidences stem from the Dr who treated me, Dr Brad Oulette. I know others who saw him and also have their brace in a drawer or a sack like a piece of trash that it is. I advise anyone thinking of trying Spinecor to NOT do it!

Sickofscammers2017 Jan 07, 2018

@linda Alfaro Linda Alfaro...I would love to be on that lawsuit!

Sickofscammers2017 Sep 18, 2018

I also seen Dr Oulette. The next day after I got the brace I called and said there was no way I could wear it. It does not matter to them if it helps you or not. Almost 5k for a ten dollar piece of fabric made of spandex and velcro. I still cannot believe I fell for it. OMG. I am still seething over all that money wasted. One day karma will come.

• Hu
    hunsgirl May 10, 2019

My 14 year old daughter had never ever been in pain from scoliosis until trying this brace. She wore it for 3 days in severe pain then hasn't put it back on since. It's been 7 months now, she's been through physical therapy and is still in pain almost daily. There were days when she couldn't sit in her seat in class and would have to leave school. She takes 1000 mg of Naproxen each day and still hurts. NO REFUNDS. They will give us nothing back!

• Ar
    arrendale Aug 08, 2019

We were told most of the same things you all were told in the comments above. We were also never told it is a trial stages, and were sent pictures of people it supposedly helped. My daughter would cry when she wore it, and we made her wear it thinking it was really going to help, from everything the doctor was telling us. We are out around $6000 just from 4 visits. We got her into see the scoliosis specialist at the Shriners hospital, that just apologized for all the money we spent, and said it was a glorified body warmer. We are still paying on it through out credit card. We were just rying to help her the best way we thought we could, but now we know, it was just to take our money. We feel horibal for putting her through all the pain!

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices