Progressive Business Publications

Progressive Business Publications
PO Box 3008
Malvern, Pennsylvania
Phone: 822-220-5000
On 11/29/10 I receieved a book in the mail and an invoice from this company that I owed $299. The invoice only had the address correct. My name and all other information was incorrect. I have never ordered this book from this company. The invoice did not have a phone number on it. After serach the internet and finding them on http://www.complaintsboard.com I found many complaints on this company and a phone number. I called to tell them I did not order this book. They insisted I did and after I told them did not several times they agreed to cancel the invoice.

This company has a reputation of 'filling orders' that no one has every placed. You know it's a scam when you receive an invoice with no phone number or website.

If anyone needs their fax number it is 610-647-8089
Complaint comments Comments (101) Complaint country United States Complaint category Magazines & Newspapers

28th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes
False claims of product orders, send out free publications then claim they are trials and that you "were sent invoices that you were supposed to cancel". No official signed orders, no credit card information taken. Then they turn over to ICR (International Credit Recovery) out of Vestal, NY. They begin the harrassing, threatening, accusatory calls to your place of business 3-4 times per day. (Valerie) from ICR, is hostile, rude and doesn't take no for an answer. Have filed with the NY attorney general's office and the BBB. Called progressive directly and their accounts people are just as accusatory and useless. Not sure how companies can get away with these practices and have no action take against them.
 15th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
This company is completely fraudulent. They appear in hundreds and hundres of threads through the website regarding their unscrupulous business practices. Their collection company ICR isn't even registered with the American Collection Companies. They're incredibly brutal and accusatory. One rep even claimed that he was helping me out by placing me on the Do Not Call list, which he didn't. Don't give them any money. It's a complete scam. I'm starting a class action law suit against this company.
 16th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
This company is sending invoices and threatening to turn over to collections for a $795.00 Tool Safety kit.com...that was NEVER ordered.
I have contacted the area BBB and am going to file a complaint with the Attorney General's office. I have also faxed and emailed the company that this is a scam along with the company that they are "representing" to have sold me the online publication!
 17th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
Same thing!!! I just went down to my mailbox, and opened a bill from them. PBP says that I owe them 795.00!!! It says "Thank you for your order. A 1 year subscription to SAFETY TRAINING TOOLKIT 3.0"

What the heck is this junk?!?
***PAYMENT IS NOW DUE*** ?????
No way man, these guys are not getting a penny from me.

I found their # to talk to a rep online. Call 800220-5000 and press option 3 to cancel. The lady on the phone was very nice.. I hope she's serious about canceling the account - or else!
 25th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
After receiving a "Past Due" invoice for $795.00 I decided to give them a call knowing full well we didn't place an order. The first red flag I encountered is the fact that there's no contact phone number on the invoice. I looked on line for information and found hundreds of comments posted by fed-up consumers. I called the number so many of you provided and told them in no uncertain terms that they are thieves and are not to contact us ever again. Complaints can also be filed using the following information.

Telecommunications (Includes wireless and wired phones, Internet, television, cable, e-mail, Spam, telemarketers, VoIP)

Federal Communications Commission
TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322)
Fax: 1-866-418-0232
Email: fccinfo@fcc.gov
Online complaint form

I can't help but wonder how desperate & pathetic you have to be to make these calls for a living. I'm no angel but I couldn't sleep at night knowing I was trying to steal people's hard-earned money. Shame on them.
 22nd of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
So, it seem I am not alone in traveling through the PBP/ICR scam. Although for a lesser $94 than some are being asked for, it is no less irritating. The inconvenience continues when for some reason, you start getting e-mails from pbconferences inviting you to participate in audio conferences. These apear multiple times a day, throughout the night and the 'opt out' facility doesn't work.

I finally managed to speak to someone who really tried to help - so no name - I established they were a full time employee and not an intern (cheap labor) and they acknowledged that they had checked out the endless stream of complaints about the company for them selves and were very sorry.

Perhaps we should all start a campaign of forwarding unsolicited e-mails and communications we receive back to the company directors to allow them the opportunity to have their in-box over run.

Perhaps we should start with
Pieter VanBennekom, Editorial Director and Mike Brown, Marketing Director

You can find a list of others at :-

The standard e-mail format is (initial).(last name)@pbp.com so - p.vanbennekom@pbp.com and m.brown@pbp.com would be a start.

People like this who employ interns to do the work and have employees who are concerned about the endless complaints deserve to have their day of judgement. Like the gentleman above, I hope they have trouble sleeping!
 30th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have never had a problem with this comp. however if I don;t want their product I write cancel within the 30 day's. I have enjoyed looking at the different products they offer.
 11th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
This company is bogus and their methods of sales, invoicing, and collections are the worst possible practices. The threats they make to take you to court (illegal to make these threats) - are they really going to take you to court for a $250 publication in another state (that you didn't even order!)??? Don't believe them and hang up on them immediately if they call you. Report them. Tell other companies to avoid them. Tell the AG office in your state. This company wastes the time, energy, and resources of those of us who have fallen "victim" to their scams. Amazing they are still in business.
 6th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
i used to work for this company, and i would just like to say they scam their employees just as much as they try to scam their unsuspecting customers.
they promise rates of pay that can never seem to be reached. they don't pay you for training times and shave hours off of the top of you check, they say to help you reach bonuses however if you do not put in enough hours you can't get a bonus anyway.
i feel bad for anyone who has done business with the company and got taken for a ride. but to let you know they take their employees for a ride as well. leading us to believe that when we call these people that they can cancel their subscriptions after the initial 2 free copies however they continue to bill and they also have been known not to send the copies as well.
they made us follow a script that say it will take 3 weeks for the newsletters to get there and that they can just write cancel on the invoice and that there will be no cost however they say nothing of a 30 day period in which it must be canceled.
i am truly sorry to anyone i may have unknowingly misled but please know that the people making those calls are just trying to make a living and are misled as well. we are lied to!!!
 11th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
ok. I agree. These people are aboslute frauds and rip you off. But I worked there and I sleep perfectly fine at night. I'm a college kid and they hired me full time over the summer!!! How many of you honest hardworking people are willing to do that??? I understand and agree with your complaints about the company... but please please donnot be so self righteous as to think that because you are such an accomplished person that you have the right to cast judgement on anyone who is just trying to get by!!! How the hell do you sleep at night?!?!
 11th of Mar, 2009 by    -2 Votes
well let me tell you i work for progressive business and i have never had a problem with these people but you never can say that people from the company are ripping you off this company has been in business for over 32years and they have cutomer such as pepsi cola company andf hewitt packad and some other companys just to mention we work very hard and nobody is taking these people for a ride they need to understand that when they say you get the invoice you are suppose to respond these news letters are unique and we have are own researcher some of you are just jealous and need to pay more attention to your mail we know what we are doing and if we wer a scam than why are the doors open duhhhhhhhhhhhh!
 11th of Mar, 2009 by    -2 Votes
well just like i said you are alway's talking about how people are saying that this company is trying scheme out of money but the bottom line is that when the reps read the invoie paragraph the specfically say write cancel on the invoice we don't want you to get stuck with this it would not do our company any good and sure would be no use to you most of our subscribers enjoy reading the publications and even if they don't contuie with the publications they get helpful tips and they also get alot of new info that other pubs and magazines are not uaware of so get off your stuff about people aare taking you for your money and can't cancel because that is al ie coming from the pit of hell and you know it take out time and read all your mail and go through it slowly and read stuff because if for any reasin you got and it slip thru the cracks it was your own fault and if we were liars why are our door open duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
 26th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
I live in Uniontown PA. Progressive Business Publications is a scam. I interviewed with these scumbags about 6 months ago. I now realize what kind of scam their running. Their located on Fayette St. Uniontown PA. here's a contact number for them 724-437-0129 If anyone gets ripped off by these scumbags call them up and tell them to never call you again and for the company to go F---ck a duck!
 31st of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
heres anew contact phone number for progrssive business solutions... 814-941-6799..so if anyone needs to get a hold of these assholes...their you go! these scumbags even have to change their emplyoment line number. they were advertising in the uniontown herald-standard and was putting in the phone number 724-437-0129..and now they had to put in another new phone number again it is 814-941-6799... I'm here to help anyone that's been scammed by these assholes! take care and dont let these scumbags get away with this shit!
 3rd of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
I interviewed with Progressive Business around the end of March. That day I was told that I had earned a spot in their training program. I was told it would be two weeks of paid training. I was there for 3 days, we had started out with 6 people, and were down to two, me and another woman by the end of the week. Yesterday I was told that I had to either earn more sales or they were going to let me go. The other woman was told the same thing. They always have their ad in the paper for positions available. Now I know why. This company is nothing but a scam. I only earned 8 sales the 3 days I was there out of hundreds of calls and I am thankful for that. If I could I would go back just to get the numbers of the sales I made. I would call the people and tell them to get a hold of a lawyer right away. I am beyond upset with myself for not seeing the company for what it really is before I ever accepted the position. I have to be there at 8:30 and it is now 8:20. I am going to call them and tell them to go to hell. If anyone wants to contact them in the Meadville, PA area the number is 814-724-2035. The direct line for the manager is 814-724-2036. Her name is Jen and she is a neurotic loud mouth idiot.
 20th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
Same here. Don't know how they found my telephone number. The business was sold 10 yrs ago. I am now getting invoices for a "Safety Bulletin". Can't get them to cancel.
 22nd of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
Same Here I have the same invoice for 240.00 for 12 publications what a rip off
 12th of Jun, 2009 by    -1 Votes
I think you all are d-bags. Lol everyone typing on this thread must have a decent position in the company of your employment, and you do not even use proper vernacular or grammar. I am 19 years old and I work at progressive and it seems as if my grammatical skills are ten times better than all of you. You sound like a bunch of winy thirteen year old girls texting on a cell phone. Number one if you " Trial " is specifically in the text, if your ears are too lazy to comprehend what is being said to you than your a complete idiot. Orders are made and you all are recorded when they are made. It is not illegal to threaten to take you to court when your in collections, maybe you should subscribe for our law books =). Talk all the crap you want, you may be a tick in your little companies, but you still do not listen properly so therefore you don't efficiently do your job. And you can damn me the hell all you want, I'm in pre-law and I work at progressive, guarantee when i get my degree in two years my paycheck will double yours ;). Keep on going with your adolescent like complaints, because you just make yourselves look ignorant, you made the decisions to subscribe to this, subscription is in the script, its your own fault. If your not an efficient listener, than you shouldn't be in the positions you are in your companies.
 13th of Jun, 2009 by    -2 Votes
Having been a summer intern at PBP, I know how they work the telemarketing operation (as to what happens after that, I do not know). When businesses are solicited for a free trial, there are certain things that must be said for an order of the free trial to be confirmed. We had to verbally confirm the company name, address, their name, and position. Also, we needed anything but a negative response when we ask if they think that after the trial issues that it can be budgeted. The invoice section also MUST be covered: "You will receive your 1st issue in about 3 weeks and your second 2 weeks later. After the second issue, we will enclose an invoice. The cost is only (applicable amount) for 23 issues but if you don't find it beneficial, just write cancel on the invoice and there is no cost at all." Then finally to confirm you spoke to that individual you ask the month and day of their birth. ALL OF THESE ARE RECORDED.
As I said, I DO NOT know what happens after this, but I assure you that all the orders I had ever taken were legitimate.
 19th of Jun, 2009 by    +1 Votes
To "Loser", "Unkown" and "Progressiveiswhereiwork":

"Loser": You agreed that Progressive is running a scam yet you continued to work there just because they hired you full time over the summer?? You may want to look into taking an ETHICS course. Most honest, hardworking people would definitely NOT do what you have been doing. Using the "just trying to get by" excuse astounds me. You KNOWINGLY ripped people off to make a buck -- how in your world that's somehow okay is simply amazing. Your User ID fits you perfectly.

"Unkown": Please go back to school. If you can't afford it, there are plenty of free online courses you can take to learn how to spell and use proper punctuation. Posting your opinion does no good if people can't even understand what you're trying to say. I think I would be afraid of doing business with a company whose employees can't even spell.

"Progressiveiswhereiwork": You're the worst of the bunch. Ahhhh, the vanity of youth! You go spouting off about vernacular & grammar. Vernacular of what? Work? Nineteen-year-old slang? Do you even know what the word means? Go back and read your comment again regarding grammar. Now it's my turn to LOL. The word is spelled whiney, not winy. Further, the sentence, "Number one if you " Trial " is specifically in the text, if your ears are too lazy to comprehend what is being said to you than your a complete idiot." Read the sentence again, please. Remove the word "you". Also, ..."your a complete idiot.", should read YOU'RE a complete idiot. It's "damn me TO hell", not "THE hell". Ranting, then not even bothering to check what you wrote makes you look like a lazy idiot. Your comment regarding being "pre-law" is funny. Do you consider yourself to be pre-law because you subscribe to the newsletters you hawk and therefore are an expert on the matter? I have no doubt that eventually you'll make good money, only because of your "too-bad-screw-you" attitude. Oh, and the word for "it is" is "it's", not its. Now go home, all three of you, look in the mirror and try to gain a conscience.

Progressive Business Publications Logo Progressive Business Publications