Norton Annual Renewal

Fraud and scam

Box 69
Woodridge, Manitoba
I haven't used Norton or any Symantec products for three years and my credit card expired. They pushed through the charge without
a) getting my new expiry date
b) emailing me before or after the charge
c) sending me any sort of download for whatever product I paid for.

Not only bad business, but fraud, in my opinion.
Complaint comments Comments (1404) Complaint country Canada Complaint category Software & Games

31st of Aug, 2006 by    0 Votes

Norton Internet Security 2006 - How to return?

Purchased norton internet security 2006 -at circuit city-store3152 amherst, ny 14226-716-831-1080 6-30-06

unable to use it on our gateway mil computer. need 2005

can I return it - how?

Pd $76.11- incl tax
opened box-read instructions-did not open cd-- can we return it-

24th of Sep, 2006 by    0 Votes
I wouldn't really call this a complaint. Just letting you know that you can't return opened software to any computer store, since they can't resell the software/return it to manufacturer once it's been opened.
 16th of Oct, 2006 by    0 Votes

Norton System Works 06 & Norton Internet Security 06 - Ghost and Parental control

Please can you help me?

I recently bought my next Norton System Works 06 and Norton internet Security 06. I cannot find Ghost on it like I had on the 05 versions as well as Parental Control.

Have I got a lower version 06 of my 05 version?

If so how much would it cost to upgrade to the, I think, the Premier version that has Ghost and Parental control?

Please let me know so I can consider it.

Viv S
 20th of Nov, 2006 by    0 Votes
Re: You have my rebates paper for both of my rebates. One for $30.00 which is supposed to be on it's way .but what about my other one for $20.00 . This is terrify having to fight for my rights. Office depot put in the newspaper to buy this software and you will get 3 rebates back one for$ 30.00,$19.99,$20.00 from 09 trough to 12 month of 2006. I sent mind in as soon as possible. Still waiting for office depot to do there part in this. I have kidding norton product for the pass 5 years. But this might stop everything if this doesn't work out like they said it would. I talk to office depot and that had said that i would get my rebates. I still have the ad.
 21st of Nov, 2006 by    0 Votes
I have been with Norton since I recently bought my computer. Now that I am ready to resubscribe I CANNOT get hooked up. It is most frustrating. Having to start from scratch learning how to operate my computer, I thought it would be a breeze to reconnect to Norton. Wrong! Please hellpppp!
 9th of Feb, 2007 by    0 Votes
We were having license activation problems with our Norton Antivirus and were forced to call customer service to resolve...or even find out what the problem was.

There is no way to resolve activation issues on line. Normally, these issues are handled by staff. Because I happened to purchase this license, I offered to contact Norton.

I was on hold for over 25 minutes. When finally helped, it was by an individual with a heavy accent. The individual's English skills may be excellent, but I was having trouble understanding her.

She proceeded to imply my company had abused its number of licenses and we were essentially dead in the water. I was stunned. It was a 'you have got to be kidding me' moment. I offered, at our IT guy's suggestion, to reinstall all active machines to resolve the issue and prove we were under the number allowed on our multi-seat license. She kept repeating an unintelligible scripted mantra over and over, refusing to have a discussion...then just hung up on me. After 40 minutes of my time regarding a legitimate issue that is the fault of the vendor...I was listening to overseas air on the phone.

It's not just the money we spent on the service/software...it's not the hours of staff time I have had to pay for...it's not the time I could be spending running a business...it is the fact that I am the CUSTOMER. Norton, like some kind of authority, acts like we are at their disposal and have no choice in vendors.

I doubt I am alone in this revelation and will keep an eye out to see how the giant is affected, as others act on their disappointment. I have sent emails to Norton. If any resolution is forthcoming, I will update this posting.
 22nd of Feb, 2007 by    0 Votes

Norton Nsw Premier Antivirus - Unable to register the system

I am using Norton Antivirus on my home computer.

I purchased Norton Antivirus 2006 but when I tried to install it, it would not accept the installation, all tho I did manage to register it. After having so many problems, I returned it to the store (Staples). They sold me a NSW PREMIER 2006, When I questioned the date they said that the 2007 had not arrived and this would work fine. There are a few problems with it. So far I have not been able to Register the system. I sent in for the thirty dollar rebate. Now they say I will not get that.

Have you any suggestion?
 27th of Feb, 2007 by    0 Votes

Norton Confidential - Norton Confidential just complicated my life!

I recently subscribed to Norton Confidential which has just complicated my life. It is idiotic, never bears in mind earlier instructions and just gives me grief.

In addition, I have been trying to do a full system scan and it just blocks after scanning 20 files. And this goes on for hours and hours.

The Norton Web site offers no way of explaining such problems. The usual arrogance of the market leader.

I want a rebate and a transfer elsewhere. Bye bye, Norton
 20th of Mar, 2007 by    0 Votes
My step daughter, who relies on her computer and I who use my home computer to assist me at work, were faithful users of the Norton Anti Virus software.

To our surprise, our internet server Rogers, shut us down as THEY had detected a bot virus (Trojan type virus). Norton, they advised was UNABLE to detect such a virus as our scans were clean.

$365.00 later, our computers were cleaned and a far better virus scan software put in place.

I feel I have been victimized by false advertising on the part of Norton as I believed that this software would adequately protect us.

Fortunately, the damage appears to have only been some $350 dollars and a weekend of lost productivity.
 10th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
I can only agree with any complaint people may have with Symantec / Norton. I just spent almost 4 hours trying to "force synchronize" the expiration date on my supposed renewal.

1. there is no customer service as one would expect it.
2. the "do it yourself" answers that are provided DO NOT WORK and again, there is no one to talk with. I finally found a place that gives a choice of how to contact Symantec / Norton. Each little icon says there is a 15 minute wait. TRY 2.5 hours and still nothing.

So let the buyer beware. They have my $43 for the renewal, my status still says my Norton protection will expire in 13 days, and their do it yourself instructions on forcing the synchronization as they call it, does not work.

There still isn't any real Customer Service department either. I thought when you get screwed you're supposed to be able to smile about the experience.
 18th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes

Norton Internet Security 2007 - Billed, and had cancelled

I purchased Norton Internet Security 2007 Upgrade on April 9, 2007 for $49.99. I have had nothing but problems since I down loaded the system. I am informing you that I will be cancelling credit card charge of $49.99 and please cancel my upgrade as I have the basic Norton service in place until August 2007.
 26th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
Well, my anti-virus has expired and symantec has my $43 as I stated previously. so, not only are they thieves, they misrepresent themselves in their notices and advertising. Now, I'm only one person,BUT, I figure that if a make a few hundred copies if the emails they sent, including the acknowledgment that they tapped my bank account for the $43, then leave them on doorknobs and any other such places that its legal to leave such notices, I bet that over the course of a year I can get out about 20K of them. That should help prevent at least some people from getting ripped off. Another plus could be that some other people victimized by symantec will do the same and maybe, just maybe, the figure and effect will grow.
 27th of May, 2007 by    +1 Votes
I too have purchased norton internet security 2007, i did this because i had no problems with nis 2004 in fact i liked it quite a bit, but 2007 2 months in ceased to work so following nortons tech advice i uninstalled the software and reinstalled nis2007 all was fine until i tried to register the software it wouldnt let me do it, once more i contacted symantics technical service line nothing they suggested seemed to work, finally their last email was for me to down load the latest 46mb version off the net and install that and this should cure all my woes. 2 hrs and 15 mins later not happy jan i think the best solution is now to remove nis totally from my system and buy a less stressful internet security software one that works :-)
 1st of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
I have used NAV for several years. I've had NAv 2004, - 2007. This year I upgraded my PC, installed new HDDs, had a NAV 2007 issue that required me to reinstall the product again. Now, only 100 days into the license, it says I have exceeded the allowable number of installs. So I called the number they gave & explained my situation to a lady in India. To my surprise, you only get 3 installs per license, the you are SOL. Solution: by a new license. She read me the same damn script the gentleman above was read. No exceptions, buy a new license. That's the policy, and the policy sucks. I suppose if they d0n't care about loosing corporate customers (as above), then they really have no concern for individual customers.

So, I will by a new license...perhaps Kaspersky. I hear it's a bit more efficient with resources. NAV is a bloated beast that seems to slow down my PC anyways. After years of trusting Syamntes... adios!

Dan in Australia
2 June 2007
 2nd of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes

Norton Internet Security - Billed, and had cancelled
United Kingdom

I thought norton is suppose to product your computer, how come the tick is still green saying its all well, but i have a very bad virus on my computer and can not cure it. Who do i make a compliant to?
 4th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes

Symantec Norton Antivirus 2007 - Problems with virus protection!
United Kingdom

I seem to have an annoying problem of the fact that my antivirus center is showing an at risk sign and that it is the virus protection in basic pc security is wrong as it has the red cross by it yet when i run a live update and a scan it shows no signs of correcting it yet is said in the scan etc it wont go away at all!
 2nd of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes
During April I purchased Norton System Works 2006 & also Norton Internet Security 2006. Both products were activated on 20 April 2007. About a month later the motherboard on my computer had to be replaced and I had to re-install and re-activate both products. Now last week my hard drive was faulty and had to be replaced. Again I had to re-install & re-activate both products. However your computer told me that both products had been activated too many times and I now have 2 expensive products which have been used for approximately 10 weeks and are absolutely useless to me. I inquired from your service department if I could please be allowed to activate these products and was told by the operator & the Supervisor that I had to go and purchase 2 more products at great expose. I do not recall the reference No. and I can assure you that I am not very happy with your service and unless something is done about this problem, which is not my fault, that I WILL NEVER EVER use Symantec products again.

Yours faithfully,
A Disgruntled customer,
David Hobden.
 7th of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
I have been having problems activating norton antivirus because my PC is not connected to the internet, so i was trying to activate using a phone line, but the number i was given to call are out of use.
 13th of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
I also have used Norton/ symantec for years with very few problems, but the recent attempt to install Norton AntiVirus 2007 has resulting in major headaches. I could go on and on about the steps i have taken to fix this problem and then finally the dozens of attempts to remove this software with no luck. I will never ever Use a Norton program again, Symantec needs to address issues with the software. I am not a computer amateur, i have vast experience in this field and i feel sorry for the thousands of people with very limited knowledge.
 21st of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
These days I dread logging on in the mornings because Norton Anti Virus 2007 will require my attention for at least 1/2 hour. I usually will be requested to download Intelligent (ha, ha) Downloader. I have contacted Symantec on numerous occasions. At first they answered my e-mails, but not anymore. My demands for a refund also fell on deaf ears. I am a software expert and apart from being totally disgusted, my heart bleeds for the thousands of amateurs out there.

Norton Logo Norton