Norton Annual Renewal

Fraud and scam

Box 69
Woodridge, Manitoba
I haven't used Norton or any Symantec products for three years and my credit card expired. They pushed through the charge without
a) getting my new expiry date
b) emailing me before or after the charge
c) sending me any sort of download for whatever product I paid for.

Not only bad business, but fraud, in my opinion.

Complaint comments Comments (1122) Complaint country Canada Complaint category Software & Games
Was the above complaint useful?

9th of Feb, 2007 by    0 Votes
We were having license activation problems with our Norton Antivirus and were forced to call customer service to resolve...or even find out what the problem was.

There is no way to resolve activation issues on line. Normally, these issues are handled by staff. Because I happened to purchase this license, I offered to contact Norton.

I was on hold for over 25 minutes. When finally helped, it was by an individual with a heavy accent. The individual's English skills may be excellent, but I was having trouble understanding her.

She proceeded to imply my company had abused its number of licenses and we were essentially dead in the water. I was stunned. It was a 'you have got to be kidding me' moment. I offered, at our IT guy's suggestion, to reinstall all active machines to resolve the issue and prove we were under the number allowed on our multi-seat license. She kept repeating an unintelligible scripted mantra over and over, refusing to have a discussion...then just hung up on me. After 40 minutes of my time regarding a legitimate issue that is the fault of the vendor...I was listening to overseas air on the phone.

It's not just the money we spent on the service/software...it's not the hours of staff time I have had to pay for...it's not the time I could be spending running a business...it is the fact that I am the CUSTOMER. Norton, like some kind of authority, acts like we are at their disposal and have no choice in vendors.

I doubt I am alone in this revelation and will keep an eye out to see how the giant is affected, as others act on their disappointment. I have sent emails to Norton. If any resolution is forthcoming, I will update this posting.
 20th of Mar, 2007 by    0 Votes
My step daughter, who relies on her computer and I who use my home computer to assist me at work, were faithful users of the Norton Anti Virus software.

To our surprise, our internet server Rogers, shut us down as THEY had detected a bot virus (Trojan type virus). Norton, they advised was UNABLE to detect such a virus as our scans were clean.

$365.00 later, our computers were cleaned and a far better virus scan software put in place.

I feel I have been victimized by false advertising on the part of Norton as I believed that this software would adequately protect us.

Fortunately, the damage appears to have only been some $350 dollars and a weekend of lost productivity.
 10th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
I can only agree with any complaint people may have with Symantec / Norton. I just spent almost 4 hours trying to "force synchronize" the expiration date on my supposed renewal.

1. there is no customer service as one would expect it.
2. the "do it yourself" answers that are provided DO NOT WORK and again, there is no one to talk with. I finally found a place that gives a choice of how to contact Symantec / Norton. Each little icon says there is a 15 minute wait. TRY 2.5 hours and still nothing.

So let the buyer beware. They have my $43 for the renewal, my status still says my Norton protection will expire in 13 days, and their do it yourself instructions on forcing the synchronization as they call it, does not work.

There still isn't any real Customer Service department either. I thought when you get screwed you're supposed to be able to smile about the experience.
 18th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes

Norton Internet Security 2007 - Billed, and had cancelled

I purchased Norton Internet Security 2007 Upgrade on April 9, 2007 for $49.99. I have had nothing but problems since I down loaded the system. I am informing you that I will be cancelling credit card charge of $49.99 and please cancel my upgrade as I have the basic Norton service in place until August 2007.
 26th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
Well, my anti-virus has expired and symantec has my $43 as I stated previously. so, not only are they thieves, they misrepresent themselves in their notices and advertising. Now, I'm only one person,BUT, I figure that if a make a few hundred copies if the emails they sent, including the acknowledgment that they tapped my bank account for the $43, then leave them on doorknobs and any other such places that its legal to leave such notices, I bet that over the course of a year I can get out about 20K of them. That should help prevent at least some people from getting ripped off. Another plus could be that some other people victimized by symantec will do the same and maybe, just maybe, the figure and effect will grow.
 27th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes
I too have purchased norton internet security 2007, i did this because i had no problems with nis 2004 in fact i liked it quite a bit, but 2007 2 months in ceased to work so following nortons tech advice i uninstalled the software and reinstalled nis2007 all was fine until i tried to register the software it wouldnt let me do it, once more i contacted symantics technical service line nothing they suggested seemed to work, finally their last email was for me to down load the latest 46mb version off the net and install that and this should cure all my woes. 2 hrs and 15 mins later not happy jan i think the best solution is now to remove nis totally from my system and buy a less stressful internet security software one that works :-)
 1st of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
I have used NAV for several years. I've had NAv 2004, - 2007. This year I upgraded my PC, installed new HDDs, had a NAV 2007 issue that required me to reinstall the product again. Now, only 100 days into the license, it says I have exceeded the allowable number of installs. So I called the number they gave & explained my situation to a lady in India. To my surprise, you only get 3 installs per license, the you are SOL. Solution: by a new license. She read me the same damn script the gentleman above was read. No exceptions, buy a new license. That's the policy, and the policy sucks. I suppose if they d0n't care about loosing corporate customers (as above), then they really have no concern for individual customers.

So, I will by a new license...perhaps Kaspersky. I hear it's a bit more efficient with resources. NAV is a bloated beast that seems to slow down my PC anyways. After years of trusting Syamntes... adios!

Dan in Australia
2 June 2007
 2nd of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes

Norton Internet Security - Billed, and had cancelled
United Kingdom

I thought norton is suppose to product your computer, how come the tick is still green saying its all well, but i have a very bad virus on my computer and can not cure it. Who do i make a compliant to?
 7th of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
I have been having problems activating norton antivirus because my PC is not connected to the internet, so i was trying to activate using a phone line, but the number i was given to call are out of use.
 13th of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
I also have used Norton/ symantec for years with very few problems, but the recent attempt to install Norton AntiVirus 2007 has resulting in major headaches. I could go on and on about the steps i have taken to fix this problem and then finally the dozens of attempts to remove this software with no luck. I will never ever Use a Norton program again, Symantec needs to address issues with the software. I am not a computer amateur, i have vast experience in this field and i feel sorry for the thousands of people with very limited knowledge.
 21st of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
These days I dread logging on in the mornings because Norton Anti Virus 2007 will require my attention for at least 1/2 hour. I usually will be requested to download Intelligent (ha, ha) Downloader. I have contacted Symantec on numerous occasions. At first they answered my e-mails, but not anymore. My demands for a refund also fell on deaf ears. I am a software expert and apart from being totally disgusted, my heart bleeds for the thousands of amateurs out there.

10th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes
And I thought it was just me that was having trouble with Norton's help desk. I agree with everyone else, NEVER BUY ANOTHER NORTON PRODUCT!!! I had problems with LiveUpdate not working and Nortons' solution was remove all Norton products and reinstall. This would be okay except that the password file used PassWord Manager would be lost. Norton told me that this was their ONLY solution and that if I thought I could get something better elsewhere, then I should do so. Nortons does not care about their customers. They are very careful to ensure that you pay what they think you owe. But that's the end of their involvement with you. Goodbye Norton. Why should I be loyal to a company that treats me with disdain.
 20th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes
Symantec is the worst company I ever had dealings with and the alleged Tech Support is an illusion. I will not renew my three NIS with that miserable company.
 4th of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes
I totally have HAD IT with NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2008. This piece of CRAP Anti-Virus Software and NORTONS Customer Service .... Or the LACK THERE OF... Is a TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY $$$ !!!!! This junk CRASHED TWO OF MY COMPUTERS suddenly last night and I am left holding the bag for repairs. Although the program was working FINE last night when I shut my computer down. I awoke this morning to find BOTH of my computers could NOT find the programs registration or the registration key I registered with. Leaving my computers with an OPEN DOOR to HACKERS of my HARD DRIVE as their CANDY!!!! Save your money and use something else. Symantec isn't worth the time of day and NEEDS TO BE SUED FOR DAMAGES... period!!
 25th of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes
I purchased a subscription update and was told it would be $39.99 instead I was charged $54.11. I called them and they hung up on me. I think NOD32 is a far superior antivirus program and combine that with a free firewall program called Comodo and you use much less computer resources, spend less money, and have a lot less stress. In addition, no more Norton frustrations.

I use those on my desktop but haste makes waste so I renewed my subscription to Norton on the laptop and I knew I was setting myself up for problems and sure enough I got them.
 2nd of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
the progam will notopen completely the text is unreadable
 11th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
I have just been ripped off by Symantec to the tune of £32.20 - not a huge amount I'll agree - however the attitude and arrogance of this company has me seething. The activation code did not activate and the customer care email I recieved stated . . . "Unfortunately, we are not able to answer your question as we only have information about rebates available to us."

Can anyone tell what this means? That Symantec only offer "information about rebates" and not actual rebates? That they only offer information about rebates that they already know about? How do they get to find out aout the rebates in the first place.

Had I known their representatives can't construct a sentence in english I wouldn't have trusted their software. The only alternative they have given me is to telephone their US call centre. As I'm based in the UK and after reading the amount of time it can take to get any sort of response I'll take a pass on this action.

Given that far worse may have happen if i'd actually been successful I'll count myself lucky!
 26th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
My problem is somewhat different than what I have seen so far o this site. I am just curious if anyone else has had the same problem. Norton deducted 42.99 from my bank account without my authorization. I do not have a Norton Product and never have. Obviously this is a identity theft matter whicjh I have resolved with everyone else I do busines with and the bank. However the folks at Norton seem to have a problem with refunding my money. They are continually requesting more info ... what is my order # ..product code etc ... since i NEVER had one of their products I can't provide this info ..so they will not refund my money. If anyone else has encountered like problems I would be interested in hearing from you.
 9th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes
I have purchased norton antivirus, but my previous antivirus has been automatically updated so i do not need it not, can i get refund my money back to me.
 20th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes
They did this to me now I might and I did not want it renewed.

Norton Logo Norton