logo

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan Complaints & Reviews - Loud enough to not use it

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan Contacts & Informations

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan

Posted:    Maureen

Loud enough to not use it

We installed a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan with light kit in our home. It all works fine on slow speed, but if the fan is on medium or high speed, the motor is very loud. This is loud enough to not use it. Is there a way to have the company fix it?

Maureen,
mission viejo, CA 92692
Comments Canada Consumer Electronics
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

26th of Mar, 2007 by   C. Vest 0 Votes
I bought an Indoor/Outdoor rated Harbor Breeze, Key West, ceiling fan last in September 2006. This ceiling fan is over our spa, securely installed over a lattice patio cover (with Plexiglas over the top protecting the fan from water from the elements. We had some recent winds and several of the fan blades snapped off and cut my spa cover in several places. As well as 4 out of the 5 fan arms either bent, twisted and 1 even split 2/3 if the length down the arm.

I have searched and searched for replacement arms, decorative outdoor replacement blades; they apparently do not coexist. I have tried looking for a Harbor Breeze web site, nothing. I looked on Lowes web site and at several stores. I have given in up hope of finding the same finish as the fan I have (brushed/antique pewter), and have considered spray painting new arms, but there are no arms to fit decorative outdoor blades.

I am frustrated that I spent $180 on this fan and my only choice would be to buy a new one? Why by a new one when even though this fan is rated Indoor/Outdoor it held up very poorly. The blades shouldn't have snapped off, and the arms shouldn't have bent or split.

I need some help.
 7th of Jun, 2007 by   Becky Bensenhaver 0 Votes
Hello,

I am in a similar predicament to yours. We recently had someone help to wash the upper windows in our great room (as we are putting the house on the market). After the worker left, we noticed that one of the blades was missing off of our Harbor Breeze, Key West ceiling fan. It appears that rather than admit that he had accidentally hit it with the ladder and broken it, he took the blade and bracket off and stashed it in his car that we wouldn't notice until later. We are finding that we aren't able to replace the one blade and bracket, and therefore will have to buy a whole new fan. What did you end up doing in your situation, buying a whole new fan?

Becky
 14th of Jun, 2007 by   wayne logan 0 Votes
My harbor breeze fan is only 1 year old, and is now running only at slow speed, will not run on medium or high speed, any suggestions ?

Other than buy a new fan, lol
 2nd of Sep, 2007 by   eileen massarelli 0 Votes
I have the same complaint as another customer, we purchased our Harbor Breeze ceiling fan in fall of 2005 and did not use it often. The fan is now running on slow speed only. I feel it should have lasted us much longer as it was on a closed in porch and used very few times. Any suggestion to this problem.

Eileen
 3rd of Sep, 2007 by   Martha Ingram 0 Votes
We built our house 3 years ago and had the builders install a harbor breeze in our master bedroom. We do use it often. Well, we went to turn it on last week and sparks flew everywhere. Needless to say we are replacing it as I could never feel safe with it again. It is a beautiful fan but I honestly think it should have lasted us longer. We had ceiling fans in our old home that we installed 15 years ago and were still running fine. Have to wonder about the quality of the workmanship with Harbor Breeze
 20th of Sep, 2007 by   Deborah Ford 0 Votes
We have a Harbor Breeze. Was hoping to find a replacement part, but as everyone else apparently the part is the one that regulates the speed control. Which you can not find. Went to Lowes and they do not have the part. They sold us a fan switch which doesn't work it has to do with the regulation of power.From High to low. Oh well another company that evidently is not made in the U.S. What else is NEW.
 10th of Oct, 2007 by   Dolores Griffin 0 Votes
We purchased a Harbor Breeze 60inch ceiling fan in Sept 2005. We used it on occasion during the fall months. Just two weeks ago, upon returning from a vacation, we put the fan on--didn't work. Changed batteries in the remote 3 times, but nothing. The man that installed it checked it out and told us that the motor was shot....2 years old? This is not acceptable. What can I do?
 14th of Oct, 2007 by   Susan Francis 0 Votes
I had the same problem on installation. It turned out the switch on the wall was a rheostat and it couldn't deal with that. I changed it out for a regular on/off switch and all noise stopped.
 10th of Dec, 2007 by   Velma Hearn 0 Votes
We bought an LakeSide II celing fan just 2 years ago and last night we could hear it sizzling and making funny squealing nosies. we had it on high and all of a sudden it just stop. The medium and low would run but if you turned it off it would just stop no slowing down. This is pretty bad when you pay out this kind of money for something you'd think would last you for at least 15 yrs. being retired and on a fixed income makes it had to replace one. This is the first time we have had a fan to do this or had to replace one after just 2 yrs. And to ship it back would be to costly for us.

And to get your fan replaced good luck on that one too by the time you fool with them it's not worth the time or trouble you might as well go buy another one or buy a different brand which we will do.
 15th of Dec, 2007 by   Coby Gifford -1 Votes
I disagree. Harbor Breeze fans are excellent quality at a reasonable price!

I recently needed to install six ceiling fans in my house. I bought several brands on the market including Hunter and Home Depot's Hampton Bay Fans. Both of the non-Harbor Breeze fans were terrible as they were noisy and I always had to fight to get them to balance and not wobble, especially the Hampton Bay Fans. So, I bought one Harbor Breeze fan and it was clearly a better, more consistently crafted piece of machinery. I went through the trouble of taking down all six of the other fans, packing them back up, and returning them. Subsequently, I bought five more Harbor Breeze fans and installed them.
Every single one of them run completely smooth, steady, and best of all, quiet!

One final tip is that proper installation is required of any electrical fixture if it is going to work well.

Thanks, Lowes, for a great product.

Sincerely,
Coby Gifford.
 1st of Jan, 2008 by   Carolyn Hale 0 Votes
We purchased a harbor breeze ceiling fan two years ago. About a month ago, it would only run on slow speed. This morning, it started smoking . The motor burned. I have other fans in my home that have lasted at 15 to 20 years....those were under a $100, by today's standard.
 22nd of Feb, 2008 by   Kassy 0 Votes
I moved into this house about a year ago. The fan was working fine for a long time, then on high it would start to make loud noises, keeping me awake at night.

Any help?
 22nd of Feb, 2008 by   Ted 0 Votes
Harbor Breeze and Hampton Bay fans are totally horrible. I have purchased and installed these in the past and have always had problems. I will never purchase them again and haven't for over 10 years. Hunter fans have always proven themselves and I won't purchase anything else.
 10th of Mar, 2008 by   Bruce W. Link 0 Votes
I installed a Harbour C=Breeze fan approx one year ago and the pull-chain for the light no longer works. Is it fixable?
 18th of Mar, 2008 by   Nick 0 Votes
I have Harbor Breeze fans in 3 rooms, all with lights and remote control. Remotes are all set differently to reduce interference. At one time one of the fans began running very slowly at all speed on the remote. I found that someone had pulled the chain a few times and set it too low, not knowing there was a remote. I set it back to high speed as the instructions indicate and it runs fine.

I haven't had a problem with Harbor Breeze fans in about 10 years.

I do take issue with the fact that there is no Website available for direct answers and information.

I would like to replace the light set on one to a different style but cannot find if it is possible or available. Anyone know if there are light kits out there and if they can be swapped out?
 30th of Mar, 2008 by   Doug 0 Votes
We have a beautiful harbor breeze with the alabaster covers for just over a year, now. Last week the bottom light would not turn on. We changed the battery to the remote and still nothing. We only used the switch on the wall to turn on and off, and were happy for the meantime, that at least one light and the fan were able to work until we could figure it out. Today my husband took apart the remote and with his electrical gadgets was able to see power coming into a switch from the battery, but not out of it, to the wire that controls... somewhere the wiring has a short in it. Now we're looking on line to purchase a new remote to our fan/light and there is no place to find one! Our light doesn't have chains to pull on and off, it's all remote control. Now what? I'm floored and a little disgusted. I guess my next call will be to Lowe's. We've spent way to much to not be able to use the entire fan/light.
 3rd of Apr, 2008 by   Richard Schmitt 0 Votes
I am having a similar problem with several people above. My Harbor Breeze was damaged in a storm and three of my blades broke. Now mind you this was not hurricane but heavy winds. That said I could not find the replacement parts for the fan. Lowes people looked at me like I had a third eye, and the web sites just wanted me to buy more crap I can't get parts for. I did try the web site mentioned above (www.eceilingfans.com) with no luck I also went as far as calling the company. After a chuckle he told me he was sorry, he didn't carry any of those blades and had no idea where I could find them. Looks like I am SOL. I will know better next time.
 25th of May, 2008 by   Barbara Gavel 0 Votes
We bought 5 Harbor Breeze fans last year for our new home. They were all installed by the homebuilders electricians. After three months of living in our new home 2 out of the 5 fans stopped working at the wall switch and remote. The manufactured issued a return slip for those. Guess what?! A third fan stopped working this week. There were sparks coming out of the wall switch.

After reading the all the complaints listed on this site, why is product not pulled off the market before someone's house goes up in flames???!!
 2nd of Jun, 2008 by   Dave 0 Votes
Bought a Harbor Breeze. Didn't work right out of the box. Directions were a nightmare, too. I've installed many ceiling fans over the years and never had any issues, but I've never run across one as poorly designed as this. Won't buy another one.
 3rd of Jun, 2008 by   Nick Louckes 0 Votes
Our Harbor Breeze is only 2 or 3 years old. Our problem is that the fan will ONLY work on high speed. It started smoking and then wouldn't operate at all except on the very highest speed. We opened it up and the speed regulator is melted! I'm nervous about purchasing another Harbor Breeze as this seems like a fire hazard to me! We also had been advised to purchase a fan switch, but we found this wasn't the problem at all.

We will never buy a Harbor Breeze again!!

Beware Small Business Credit Cards