Menu

FitnessUSA  - Lifetime member

B
Author of the complaint
7:55 am
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Back in 1997 I purchased a "Lifetime Membership" at Fitness USA. The Gym closest to me closed in 2011. Now they are all closing! I spent close to $1000 on this membership! Now what do I / We do? A class action lawsuit? It would be nice if another gym would honor the memberships... it's been done before. How does members start a class action lawsuit?

Helpful? 0 3

More FitnessUSA complaints & reviews

FitnessUSA - cancelling membership
FitnessUSA - refund
FitnessUSA - false advertising
FitnessUSA - cancel lifetime membership
FitnessUSA - worst gym to go to-staff unprofessional
137 comments
May 17, 2022 7:55 am

Please ad me to this law suit. I paid $1000 in 1988 and when I moved in 1993 I visited one last time to find out where there was another FITNESS USA in Washington State. They said they had affiliates and that was a big lie. I want my $1000 back like everyone else. It's not right. Dyana

View 0 more photos
Apr 01, 2022 7:55 am

We have two lifetime memberships, and I still have the cards with our account numbers on them. We would like to be a part of any litigation.

Apr 01, 2022 7:55 am

Also have a lifetime membership to fitness USA how do I get my money back?

Jan 09, 2022 7:55 am

I got a life time membership in 1989. I had it for years then took it to one in the late 90s. They said they no longer offered it and took my card. I'm sure I'm in record and would love to be part of a lawsuit.

6 0
Nov 14, 2021 7:55 am

I have also purchased a LIFETIME Membership from Fitness USA (1998) I still have the membership card. I’ve moved out of state for the last 15 years and recently back in Michigan to find out they have all Closed .. Has there been any resolution or restitution to this? I’d really like to know .. is there a petition or active case ? Any information on this would be greatly helpful.

9 0
Nov 18, 2021 7:55 am

I purchase my Fitness USA 10/11/95 and still have the membership card. The gym closer to my house close, then i started going to another one that was like 15minutes form my house. Then that one close. Please include me in the Lawsuit, if possible. Thank You!

4 0
Oct 10, 2021 7:55 am

I am also in the 80 have a lifetime membership I still have my card Please include me Thank you

0 0

Hi I also purchased a membership back on 1986 for lifetime 1, 000 put me a n lawsuit want my money back and then some Richard moffitt Westland mi

S

I alao have a lifetime membership bought in 2001. Count me in as well.

Jul 21, 2021 7:55 am

My parents purchases lifetime memberships for all of us when I was a kid. Most of my aunts and uncles did for them and my cousins as well. I'd love to hear how they could be included in this class action lawsuits. I'd love for them to get some of their money back.

I have a life time membership got in 2012, include me in lawsuit,

2 0
M
Jul 05, 2021 7:55 am

Please add me to the lawsuit. I still have my membership card also.

So did anyone get there money back or are we just out of 1000 bucks

Jan 16, 2021 7:55 am

I too bought a lifetime membership in 1990. Would love to get my $ back.

0 1
Dec 24, 2020 7:55 am

I too bought a Lifetime membership in 1991 in Lansing Michigan, to help my friend get his cheaper for the referral. Two years later I moved to Colorado for a great job. At the time there were no local affiliated gyms, the closest one was over an hour away or was female only. I assumed at the time that there would eventually be one in my area, but no.

Unfortunately there is little we can do to get any of our money back, even if they weren't bankrupt we'd be lucky to get 10% back. The only way they would be in trouble is if they knew they were going bankrupt when they made the lifetime deal, otherwise they were acting in good faith that their company would continue on.

The best course of action is to file a claim(s) with your local state attorney generals office (the state in which you purchased the membership) and/or the state where their corporate headquarters reside. Include as much documentation as possible and provable facts to help state your complaint. You can include verbal agreements if there is a witness, preferably an unbiased third party (not your spouse or friend). Verbal contracts are legally enforceable, they are just very difficult to prove in court.

I urge you all to file claims immediately with your state attorney general (don't bother with the BBB, they can't take legal action). If the AG gets enough complaints they will investigate.

Some have complained about collection agencies, depending on your state they may have violated the collection laws. This is a better course of action if you really want to get your money back (and more?) as they likely can pay out if they lose the lawsuit. Suing a bankrupt company is pretty pointless, even if you win there is no money to pay you, this is known as judgement proof.

Jul 31, 2021 7:55 am

Please contact me if anything ever comes of this. I have my membership as well

A

My best friend and I also bought lifetime memberships in the late 90’s! Such a scam!

Jan 28, 2020 7:55 am

I have a lifetime membership since 1990. Please add me to the lawsuit!

Jan 19, 2020 7:55 am

Let me in also, I've been pissed about this for years! Me & My Mother have lifetime memberships also.

Oct 10, 2019 7:55 am

Purchased my lifetime membership in 1996. Please contact me if there is a lawsuit started.

H
Aug 12, 2019 7:55 am

That would be nice to a refund. How do you get one ? Still have my membership card.

View 0 more photos

I have one too!

W
Mar 13, 2021 7:55 am

i have one also

Jun 27, 2019 7:55 am

I'd like to get on the class action lawsuit as I purchased a lifetime membership too. One location burned down the other one closed. What is being done if anything. email: [email protected]

Jun 09, 2019 7:55 am

I too would like to join a class action lawsuit as I purchased a lifetime membership in the 90's as well which is now useless. My email address is [email protected]

E
Jun 01, 2019 7:55 am

I also have a lifetime membership bought in 1988. Very interested uf a class action suit is ever taken.

E
Jun 01, 2019 7:55 am

I also bought a "Lifetime" membership in 1988. Has anything ever been done about this fraud? Interested in knowing.

Jan 14, 2019 7:55 am

Did the class action lawsuit go forth? I still want in, I had a lifetime membership.

B
Nov 21, 2018 7:55 am

I purchased a lifetime membership in 2001 I also was persuaded as a college student that this would be a benefet to me for my entire lifetime. I was working and going to school in Westland Michigan at the time, in 2009 I moved to another job and went looking for access to the same organization in my area, frequently referred to office where I sign up and no location every became available close to me that was in their network and eventually when I checked in the phone was disconnected and no recourse was present for the use of that Life time membership. I doubt I will every get my money back or the use of a local gym based on the purchase of their Life time membership. Expensive lesson to learn on trust.

J
Oct 31, 2018 7:55 am

i also bought a life time membership and paid 2000 for me and my daughter one membership for her and one for me id like my money back this is not right what can i do thats a lot of money to lose.

K
Oct 16, 2018 7:55 am

I too have been a Lifetime member since 1980! They first closed Clio Rd in MI, then Dort Hwy, Flint, MI closed, then Linden & Miller Rd closed! So is anyone willing to hire an Attorney? I personally will since I have free Legal Advise from General Motors! 💕
See what happens! 😏

H
Oct 15, 2018 7:55 am

I would like my money back as well. I bought my lifetime membership in 1994.

K
Dec 07, 2021 7:55 am

I also bought a lifetime membership in the 90s. I’d like to be part of the lawsuit. Who do I contact?

F
Oct 06, 2018 7:55 am

I also have all the paperwork I signed for a lifetime membership. But all the locations here in Lansing, MI are closed.

M
Oct 04, 2018 7:55 am

Please include me if a lawsuit is ever filed. I am in the same boat as everybody else

Sep 18, 2018 7:55 am

I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST FITNESS USA! I purchased lifetime memberships for me and my daughter in the 90s. The locations closest to me shutdown after a few years, at which time we started going to the Royal Oak/Berkeley location. We did this until the traffic became so congested that we were discouraged p0l making the journey. In time, I chalked the memberships up as a total loss and moved on. I recently joined Planet Fitness (PF) and inquired about whether PF is affiliated with Fitness USA. A patron of PF suggested that I join this string of complaints against Fitness USA, so here I am. I can be reached at [email protected] I am happy and willing to assist with filing the lawsuit in any way possible...Ms Vee

Sep 12, 2018 7:55 am

So we paid a lot of money for there membership and I've used it on and off since I've been a member. Now that I I am retired and I would like to use it more I can't because they've all closed. I do think Fitness USA should help out the members this was so wrong on their part and we are paying the consequences. So if there is a lawsuit I would like to be put in that too but I really would like them to help the people who paid this money and see that we get some kind of other membership that we can use with theirs this is so wrong and they did people wrong shame on Fitness USA

Aug 10, 2018 7:55 am

I have a worthless lifetime membership that I purchased in Michigan, for $1000.00. I was making really good money, back in the 80's, however I did not have the time to take advantage of my membership. Now I'm on a fixed income and wanted to start using my "lifetime" membership ONLY TO FIND NO FACILITIES opened by me. This is not a frivolous case action case...they stole a grand from me in my 20's; which is a heck of a lot more in today's economy! Please some attorney out there get us some justice ASAP! [email protected]

Jun 27, 2018 7:55 am

I purchased a lifetime membership in 1981 after being persuaded as a college student that this would be with me my entire lifetime. After I married, and my husband was in the military we were stationed in northern Michigan and was not near a gym, however when I visited South Bend, IN (my home town) was always able to utilize the gyms. Stationed in Denver, CO in 1990 and a Holiday Fitness continued to honor my lifetime membership. They were purchased by Bally I believe and not sure if they still exist. The membership however was honored so I assumed Bally would have honored...now, who honors Bally Fitness? I joined 24 Hour Fitness, however not sure if they purchased any Bally Fitness gyms and what type of transaction took place. What to do when you assume a "lifetime" is just that...

Y
Jun 20, 2018 7:55 am

I (Yvette White) had a lifetime membership that I purchased in the 90's and I paid in the range of $1, 000. They closed all the locations near me, now I have to pay to attend another gym, I want to be a part of the class action lawsuit.

May 12, 2018 7:55 am

I also am a lifetime member and want my money back for them to do what’s they did is just wrong! They could have at least if filiated with LA Fitness.

Apr 24, 2018 7:55 am

I'm also a lifetime member. Paid around $1000 back in the 90's. I Want to be included in a class action lawsuit. Would of been great if they had affiliates nearby.

Apr 23, 2018 7:55 am

I am a lifetime member who also would like to join a class action lawsuit. [email protected]

C

I also want to be part of the class action lawsuit. Does anyone know if one has been started? and if so, how do I submit claim?

Apr 03, 2018 7:55 am

I have also purchased a life time membership years ago and would be interested in a lawsuit against them, but I live in Indiana. But could someone please contact me if there is any information concerning the lawsuit in this matter! My e-mail is [email protected] Thank You !

Mar 31, 2018 7:55 am

I also have a lifetime membership. Joined in Lansing Mi. in the mid 80's had to get a new card that's dated Nov.11-1991. Still have my card I to want to be apart of a class action law suit

Jan 10, 2018 7:55 am

I bought my membership back in the 90's I had become unemployed at one point and Fitness USA researched all my surrounding neighbors and would call them non stop until the put notices on my door that I owed them money and they wanted it paid. So of course I found another job and paid that membership off because of the embarrassment I couldn't stand. Later to become a executive member with 5 people refered under my name and never had to pay a renewal fee again. For what, for them to pack up and leave, well I would love the Owners name and address, so I can call his or her neighbors and tell them what a piece of [censor] they are for taking our money and running. I would love to be in a lawsuit with them!
Rhonda Fuller

Dec 24, 2020 7:55 am

These contracts are often with a finance company, or sold to one later.
The collection actions you described are Completely Illegal !
Each and very time they contacted each of your neighbors it's another violation, among other privacy violations, etc.
You have a better chance of suing them or the finance/collection company over these numerous collection violations, and the penalties can be very severe (costly, means more $$ for your settlement). You can still file a complaint with your state attorney general (and the state attorney general of their corporate headquarters), and if they get enough complaints they will take legal action! Which could be a lawsuit or even jail time.
Don't bother with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) they are a corporation that has no legal authority to hold them accountable. Your State Attorney General is the Better BBB, lol.