Shopping Basket

Martinsville, Virginia
This isn't really a horrible complaint, but it's one of inconvenience if nothing else. The Walmart in my hometown does not provide any shopping baskets. If they do, they are hidden. This is very inconvenient for those who us who aren't shopping for a large amount of items. I don't feel like having to push a big shopping buggy around for just a few items that would fit just fine in a shopping basket. I realize this is probably a ploy by the company to get people to purchase more items during their visit, because hey, they have the room in the buggy. But it's extremely inconvenient for me. All other stores I shop at have baskets, Walmart should as well.
Complaint comments Comments (7) Complaint country United States Complaint category Other
Was the above complaint useful?

31st of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
Check WalMarts website and see if they have an address or maybe a feedback area that you can make the suggestion for baskets. Maybe send a letter of suggestion to the corporate office. May not do any good but you'll never know if you don't at least try. Good luck.
 31st of Mar, 2011 by    +2 Votes
I work for walmart-and people keep stealing the shopping baskets! What for, I don't know. But every time we order any, within weeks, we are right back down to only 2 or 3. So, management only orders them about once a year. They can't replace them as fast as they go away-they cost a lot more than you think. Thanks, Lisa
 31st of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
People probably think they make good toy baskets. I mean, why buy one when you can walk out of the store with a store basket.
 22nd of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
That's why the Winona Walmart has tags in the baskets that will set off the door alarms. You cannot leave the store with the baskets at all, so they are seated just past the door security alarms, normally, not out in the shopping cart area.
 19th of Sep, 2011 by    0 Votes
How are they walking out of the store with them when there should be a Walmart greeter checking their bags?
 22nd of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
I remember when my store had 1000 new baskets. We now have 12. Like Lisa said, people steal them
 15th of Sep, 2012 by    0 Votes
I do not believe people are stealing Wal Mart baskets! In my town there are 3 Wal Marts, a Target, 2 Meijers, and 10-12 other big grocers. The Wal Mart stores are the only ones with no baskets. Do thieves steal only from Wal Mart stores? NO! This is an old retailers' trick to force people into using larger carts; the theory being bigger carts equals more purchases. This is why Wal Mart has only one giant size shopping cart whereas other stores have large and small plus hand baskets. Wal Mart simply does not want your business if you are only buying enough to fill up a hand basket.
There are three methods to prevent theft of baskets: 1. point of purchase confiscation; 2. greeter confiscation; 3. anti theft tags which are so cheap even antacid tablets have them! Wal Mart uses none of these methods while other stores use a combination. The Target store in my town has had the same dirty red baskets for 20 years; their check out clerks confiscate them at the registers.

Walmart Logo Walmart