logo

Direct TV
Destroyed my Credit Rating
4. (41 mins ago)
Direct Buy
Would not recommend it to anyone, even large consumers
5. (57 mins ago)

Walmart

Posted:    seabolt

Great Value (not) products

Walmart
I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice this but Walmarts Great Value brands are anything but great value. From the products that I have tried they are a rip off, ie: milk is watered down, sour cream is watery, cottage cheese is watery, swiss cheese has no taste, evaporated or condensed milk is only 10 oz., where most other brands are 14 oz.

I haven't tried all of their Great Value products and don't think I am going to bother, not after what I've found so far.
Comments United States Food
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Mar, 2010 by   SkyWlf77 0 Votes
Actually, I use Great Value products on a regular basis, but with two caveats: 1) I NEVER use generic dairy products (which is almost all of what you said you have tried) and 2) I never expect name-brand quality or performance from generic products.

You seem to have gone into these purchases without the correct mindset. While generic products can sometimes be a good way to save money, you never consider them an equal replacement for the real thing - that way you aren't disappointed when they don't perform well, but you are pleasantly surprised when they do.

With that said, however, I have used many Great Value products in the past and continue to do so now that I have been happy with including, but not limited to, cereal, kool-aid, uncooked pasta noodles, etc. I have also used Great Value products that I have been very unhappy with including, but not limited to, paper towels, paper plates, some canned vegetables, etc.

It is definitely a trial-and-error process with generic products and you have to be willing to put the time and effort into finding which ones will work for you and which ones won't. Otherwise, just purchase name-brand.

I hope your experiences get better!
 4th of Aug, 2010 by   cquinn5 0 Votes
We have been using the Wal Mart "Great Value" brands for the last year or so. I have come to the conclusion that you stand MAYBE a 30% chance of getting a Great Value brand item that is equal in quality to a name brand. That being said there is a 70% chance that the item will be lesser in quality to a name brand. I have decided that the odds are not in my favor to get a quality product so I am not purchasing the Great Value brand anymore.
I also shop at Costco and have found that their house brand "Kirkland" in most instances exceeds the quality of name brand merchandise. Case in point is their Kirkland canned Tuna Fish, It is the best canned tuna I have ever eaten.
 26th of Aug, 2011 by   arlene bowser 0 Votes
everytime i cook great value lasanga it burns on the bottom. i cook it the way the box says to do. any sugguestion on how to keep it from burning.
 21st of May, 2012 by   lynnstone6 0 Votes
I would like to know if there has been any problems / complaints regarding Walmart's Great Value Brand, Tuna in water.
 6th of Aug, 2012 by   nukeswife2298 +1 Votes
I actually am in the process of trying to find out exactly where I can go to complain about the Great Value Tuna in water. I have, in the last 10 cans of tuna I have opened, found scales (not just one, but several) and bones that are almost an inch long. I understand that this brand is not "name brand" and isn't of the BEST quality, but there still should be standards. I haven't had problems with them before and as a family that LOVES tuna, I would hate to have to spend a dollar or more for a can of tuna just because Walmart/Great Value can't seem to put a little effort forth to provide a quality product.
 18th of Sep, 2012 by   ivan lawless 0 Votes
We purchased a bag of your Great Value white tortilla chips 13 oz best by 09-23-12 (02061g) and when we tasted them..They tasted like they were a 100 years old..I smelled of them and they smelled like old stale grease or lard that had turned bad...I checked the expiration date and it wasn't that..Just wanted you to know...
 8th of Dec, 2012 by   Sharonmama3 0 Votes
Just wanted to let everyone know that I just bought the Great Value brand Kcups...do not buy these!!! They do not work! Water doesn't flow through the cup!
 13th of Aug, 2013 by   D Broncks 0 Votes
Have four markets locally, Albertsons, Food Basket, Snappy Mart, and Walmart at which we buy milk.. Whole and 2%. Walmart milks seem to be watered down.
Did a four store milk test, Albertsons, Food Basket and Snappy Mart milk products had a taste to them; Walmart tasted like bottled water with white coloring.
Are we the only folks who have noticed this?
Another thing, the pull tab seal that Walmart uses on the containers are very difficult for seniors to remove.
Silver City, NM
 13th of Aug, 2013 by   Don Tarr 0 Votes
Two basic rules of retailing: You get what you pay for--cheap price, cheap quality, and If you don't like it, don't buy it--eventually the retailer will find a better supplier. Individual customer complaints won't change store brands, but mass buying decreases will.
Use your buying power, spread the word, and be patient.
 6th of Mar, 2014 by   Charles Lloyd 0 Votes
Walmart is always eager to let us know the product is distributed by Walmart but we never know what foreign country it is from or what contents are in the product, especially food pproducts. Walmart, tell us where and what company it's from.
A customer from Knoxville, Tn.
 6th of Mar, 2014 by   Don Tarr 0 Votes
Country of origin and content is always labeled; retailers use many different producers, and change suppliers frequently. Not just Wal-Mart, all grocery chains shop for best price/quality constantly. This is the basic concept of the free market system. StarKist doesn't have its own fleet of tuna boats, they buy from commercial fleets and select the quality & price they will buy. So does WM, Kroger, Publix, and every other retailer. What company caught the fish, who processed it, and who packaged it are irrelevant.
 2nd of Apr, 2014 by   jackie whackie 0 Votes
Walmart milk always has tasted watered down to me... my guess is that they put the bare minimum amount of "milkfat" and max allowable amount of water. Whole milk tastes like 2%, 2% like skim, never tried anything less but it's probably "skimmier" than skim.
 26th of Apr, 2014 by   Sick citizen 0 Votes
Great Value? I don't think so...food supply in this country has been hijacked by industry for the sake of the almighty $! I know your fruit is genetically modified so it will have a longer shelf life; be more resistant to pesticides in the field/farm/on the vine or tree even corn is now capable of making its own pesticides! I know it sounds like something from a science fiction movie and I am not going to waste my limited energy trying to convince you; I AM going to use what little strength I have left trying to undo what complacency and deregulation has done to me. FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF! Wake up America, it's big industry who makes us crave junk; it is not your fault and has nothing to do with your lack of willpower! It is them who is making us fat and overfed and undernourished and SICK! GREAT VALUE indeed!...
 26th of Apr, 2014 by   Don Tarr 0 Votes
So Walmart is responsible for your weight and sickness? Genetic modification is not something from a sci-fi movie, or a demented scientist's lab. Every living thing on this earth is genetically modified, and the experiments are constant, and they are natural. It's how the entire diversity of life on our planet came about. Nature constantly makes small random changes to DNA, and if the change improves the living creature's success the new DNA is passed on to the next generation. Nature's alterations are random, like throwing a dart at a mile long dartboard of DNA molecules. Geneticists target specific genes to alter and greatly increase the odds of success. All plants develop defenses against insects, and fungus, and predators; some are better at it than others. Scientists are doing quickly what nature gets around to eventually, and if they didn't, a billion people would starve to death. Will power, not Walmart, is the source of obesity.
 8th of Jun, 2014 by   eljay38 0 Votes
I hadn't bought milk in while, but I got a new kitten. So I recently purchased a half gallon of Walmart milk whole milk. Something struck me weird when I poured myself a glass but I never guessed it would taste totally like water when I tried it. I am still in shock that this milk tastes like water and sought out this site to see if I was imagining things. Not sure what I should do, but I'm not drinking it. Might ask my neighbor to confirm my suspicions. Wonder if they will take it back.
 9th of Jun, 2014 by   Don Tarr 0 Votes
Walmart will take it back, but don't give milk to your cat, most cats are lactose intolerant. Ask your vet.
 16th of Jul, 2014 by   Kathy Parrish 0 Votes
I totally agree with everyone on Walmart's so called "Great Value". Walmart boast of Great Quality, Great Price, Guaranteed. I recently purchased the great value Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches. They are awful! The chocolate wafer was like eating cardboard and just as hard. The vanilla ice cream had no flavor at all. I guess it is true what they said you get what you pay for. I will never purchase the Great Value's at Walmart again. These are of no real value and taste even worst. There is nothing of any great quality or price with this product. It a real waste of money and of my time.

Anti Gay Marriage Scam