logo

Verizon Contacts & Informations

Verizon

Posted:    Kevn

Bill of international calls

Today I was shocked to see my Verizon FIOS bill that charges me $160 for two international calls that last 23 minutes total. I always use dialnopin.com calling card service and dial an access number to make international calls. Verizon FIOS triple play offered an international calling plan when I signed up the service online. I declined the service because I can make international calls using the calling card access number less expensive. I thought I don’t have international calling service with Verizon. I have been using cable companies’ triple play service for the last four years. I declined their international calling plan as well and I didn’t have international calling service with them.
After spent three hours on the phone with Verizon’s customer service and toll calling department, I found out I was wrong. They keep telling me that Verizon’s policy is that if you declined a lower rate international plan, and then I agreed to get the international calling service for a standard rate. Basically Verizon is actually going to offer customers a much higher and ridiculous rate (Verizon don’t call that a PLAN) if you declined what they called an international calling PLAN, and it will not tell you that. Verizon is setting up a trap for customers since some customers don’t want it to make a monthly fee and don’t like its high rates in their “PLAN”. Now if you kids or anybody in your house accidently dialed an international call (or if you think you called an access number of calling card and Verizon says you did not), then you will be shocked when you received your next bill.
Verizon said its policy is that if you declined a lower rate plan for international calling service, then you are going to get the international calling service for a standard rate, and there is no credit and adjustment for that charge. In order to show how ridiculous is this, let’s try the following example: I set up a website and put an advertisement on Google. The Ad says there is a promotion on my website that I am selling a 24” LCD monitor for $100 although the market price is $200. Now many people will come to visit my website and buy the LCD monitor. During the checkout there are 10 pages of “terms and conditions” in a box and below it have two buttons “accept” or “decline”. Many people will just click accept and buy the monitor. After that, the website offered Samsung 52A650 LCD TV for $1500 plus $500 shipping and handling fee. The market prices anywhere else for it is from $1600 to $2400. Many customers will decline the offer and finish the checkout for the $100 LCD monitor. One week later, the 52A650 LCD TV is shipped to your house along with the $100 LCD monitor and you are charging the standard price of $3000 for the 52A650 LCD TV without any shipping and handling fee. The customer will be angry and call the customer service, and the customer service representative will tell him that the website’s policy is as soon as you visit buy the $100 LCD monitor, you agreed to buy the 52A650 LCD TV as said in the “terms and conditions”. If you didn’t accept the promotional offer of $1000 for the TV and $1000 for the shipping and handing fee, you agreed to get it with the standard price. By the way, you agreed it in the “terms and conditions”. I believe I will get rich this way very quickly if I can rip off people like this legally.
Don’t you get it, Verizon? If people don’t accept your international calling plan, they don’t want your “international calling plan”, and they are not accepting a ridiculous higher rate “international calling plan”.
Comments United States Telecommunications
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Feb, 2009 by   tt-us 0 Votes
I have the same experice from Verizon and they charged me $286
 27th of May, 2009 by   notcartoony 0 Votes
I also got charged a ridiculous amount as well.. Does anyone have experience with this and have gotten any type of fee adjustment??
 24th of Nov, 2009 by   jeff_NJ__x +1 Votes
I just had the same experience. doing the research now to see if I can start a class action
 5th of Dec, 2009 by   RGK +1 Votes
It is insane what they are doing at Verizon. I switched to FIOS not too long ago and I specifically requested an international calling plan. Two days after my service was connected, I made a few international calls. Then I was shocked to receive a call from their "usage verification dept" informing me that I have a pending charge of $211 dollars and the international calling is blocked. Ever since, I have been going around in circles to fix the issue but no success...such incompetent group of folks (yes in GENERAL). Now they are telling me the plan was added after the calls were made yet I requested this service before "the idiots" came to connect the service at my house. I am now making my last efforts to resolve the issue before I go back to my beloved Cable Vision. I am now regreting the decision to switch. Sometimes it true when they say stick with what you know. I thought I give them a try but I doubt I will stay...

Richard
 12th of Dec, 2009 by   JonBridgewaterNJ 0 Votes
Thanks for posting your comment. I just received a bill showing two calls to China with a total charge of $119.79. I attempted to get Verizon to remove these charges since I never called China but they insisted the two calls made within minutes to the same number were made by me. I am planning to contact their corporate office on Monday and complain, I did tell the Verizon representative that I planned to complain to the FCC, my state utility commission and of course by Senator and House Representative but that didn't faze them. I have NO plan ever to use Verizon for a call outside the US. I am going to use a phone card or Skype.
 3rd of May, 2010 by   simpleguy001 0 Votes
We are another victim to this scan verizon is running and yet I don't think the consumer protection bureau is turning a blind eye. How can they operate like this and get away with scamming their customers is beyond me. And I don't understand how they are any better than a petty thief? They are telling you that you can't block the 011 dial with certain plan yet they will sneak in to take your money when you make a mistake. I HOPE SOMEONE BRING A REALLY BIG CLASS ACTION SUIT. can you imagine how much extra money they make every billing cycle just by doing this? I GUESS THERE IS NO JUSTICE ANYWHERE...
 3rd of May, 2010 by   simpleguy001 0 Votes
I meant...they are turning a blind eye ...
 23rd of Sep, 2010 by   paymanef 0 Votes
they did the same thing to me, Charged me $473 for 5 short calls, at SIX+ dollars per minute.
Stay away from Verizon
 14th of Dec, 2010 by   APVI 0 Votes
I was charged $1, 119.18 by Verizon for one international phone call this month!! This is insane; I'm looking into what could be legally done to stop them from robbing people and I’m also starting a boycott Verizon Facebook page.
 29th of Dec, 2010 by   complaintourmomma 0 Votes
@APVI holy shit dude that's outrageous!, what was the destination, were you using a different long distance service?
 9th of Apr, 2011 by   K222 0 Votes
After your initial attempt to sort your issue out with Verizon – SAVE YOUR BREATH! These people are not interested in working with their customers. You must file a complaint with the FCC - http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm
or 1-888-225-5322 When I went to the FCC’s website who do you think is on their main page – Verizon. FCC just won multi-million dollar settlement from them for (among other things) overcharging customers!

Avoid Scams When Donating to Haiti Earthquake Relief