logo

UVOCORP
scammer
2. (10 mins ago)
PLDT / PHONE+DSL INSTALLATION
Failed to install on promised date
3. (27 mins ago)

Posted:    Danny

Online scam

JustAnswer.com
justanswer.com
JustAnswer says that they provide experts all over there site. They even claim on there site that 'Distinct from other answer sites on the web, our Experts are actually doctors, auto mechanics, veterinarians, CPAs, teachers, computer Experts, etc.'

This is an out and out lie to deceive people into paying money for questionable advice. JustAnswer does not ever certify that a so-called 'Expert' has any training in ANYTHING. There terms of service states,

'No Assurances Given From and No Reliance on Term 'Expert' Throughout this Site, certain terms, including 'Expert', 'Specialist', 'Consultant' or 'Advisor' may be used to refer to someone who claims to have certain knowledge, background or experience that may be useful in responding to a question posed by a user. Use of such terms provides no assurance that the person answering your question has any expertise or qualifications to give such advice. You acknowledge that JustAnswer has not and cannot independently verify their qualifications. If you do not like any answer for any reason, your sole remedy is to disregard the answer and not pay for it. Notwithstanding the foregoing, JustAnswer reserves the right, but is not obligated, to remove any content that it believes violates any of these Terms, including, without limitation, any objectionable or personally identifiable information.'

They hide this in the middle of about 5 pages of legal ease. But all over their site they claim that 'their experts' can answer your questions, even stating, 'our Experts are actually doctors, auto mechanics, veterinarians, CPAs.'

More than likely that MD who is answering your question about your childs sickness, or CPA about your sensitive tax info, is an out of work cab driver from Yonkers, sitting in his underwear at 3am, 'googling' some so-called 'expert' answers.

JustAnswer.com doesn't have ANY oversight of their 'Experts' yet makes people believe than they do. Shame on them. Don't give them any of your hard earned money.

Andy Kurtzig, their founder and CEO is a scammer for perpetrating this deception and other posts all over the internet confirm this.

Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

7th of Jan, 2009 by   alex hewitt +2 Votes
Hi Danny

I'm a fully qualified uk registered gas fitter, plumber and electrician.

I have taken over 20 years to attain my qualifications in these two trades. I have trained 4 apprentices and have a good reputation.

I work for justanswer in their plumbing, electrical and HVAC sections serving any UK questions in my field when I have a few spare moments .

When I applied to become an ' expert' ( not a term I would have chosen but this IS after all an american site!!) I was asked what education, training, experience and qualifications I hold.

I then had to answer some fairly in depth and searching questions on my chosen vocation and was accepted.

Initially I could only answer a limited number of questions in a set period of time and these were monitored by existing 'experts' (god I hate that word...everyday is a school day and the man who terms himself an expert has stopped learning, closed his mind to others and will soon be left by the wayside) My payments initally were very, very low for accepted answers and I had to work my way through 4 stages, constantly being monitored by my peers.

Yes you could probably scam the answers to the entry questions but your lack of knowledge will soon be discovered and your position at Justanswer rescinded permanently.

Yes some people do get through the selection that shouldnt and some answers given can be wrong. But these scammers are always discovered given the peer pressure amongst the other 'experts' and moderators.

It is only advice that is given, I am not contracted to stand in front of the boiler and fix it, however knowledge is an interesting power and has saved many of my clients being scammed by unscrupulous plumbers when they find one to do the work.

Try it and see

Alex Hewitt

Safecert.co.uk

It is and will be increasingly a good online asset for many people.
 15th of Jan, 2009 by   Anthony -1 Votes

While many people on this site have been very helpful and give excellent answers, this MORON named Ms Chase has no business posing as an 'expert'. She has no formal training---she might as well be a radio talk show host. This expert is a scammer and completely unqualified. I would not recommend anyone accepting answers from her at all.
 22nd of Jan, 2009 by   Laura 0 Votes
I was JA for only a few weeks. Here is what I have found wrong as an expert (and yes, my skills ARE real .. I could prove it but they never asked).

1. They do NOT allow you independence when asking how much money you can earn for something. YOU .. the expert ... have to go THROUGH a JA moderator who will THEN contact the customer who will THEN decide if they want to pay you more and you may or may not hear anything back .. kinda like a big circle. Imagine being an "expert" and you can't even ask for how much YOU want. They are afraid of chasing customers off. Well, those customers won't be around when the answers are crap for very long.

2. The writers ... STAY AWAY ... you will spend COUNTLESS hours writing an answer (no, a paper) for people who want their homework done for them .. and want to pay you ZIP! JA gets up to 50% of the pay. Now then, if you are being offered $20 to write a three page paper, research it, do APA style to it, reference page ... that' s gonna take you a good hour to 1.5 hours. Now then... JA gets 50% of that. So now you is at ten bucks (grammar error intentional there). So you just work a good hour to 1.5 hours researching, wracking your brain for creative writing, outlining, drafting, revising as customer sees fit ... and you get TEN DOLLARS!!! Whopee - don't spend it all at one place.

I saw one person the other day who wants to pay $40 for a four page, intensive, research paper. Someone could easily spend 3 hours on it due the level of research.

The short answers are great - easy in easy out and a few quick sentences. Five minutes or so. But that does NOT exist in the WRITING portion.

The WRITING answers are a nightmare ... and you get ZIP for doing it. You will soon find that someone wants you to be their "go to" homework person and be totally creative and come up with all the work and research... and JA sits back too ... and YOU, well.. You work.

Now... go get your ten bucks!
 10th of Feb, 2009 by   forgottenboy -1 Votes
"I recently presented a question regarding a personal problem on justanswer.com. I received a response from an IDIOT named Ms Chase. This person is clearly out of touch with reality and gave me no practical advice whatsoever. Because I was inexperienced with the website, I accepted her answer and was charged for this.

While many people on this site have been very helpful and give excellent answers, this MORON named Ms Chase has no business posing as an 'expert'. She has no formal training---she might as well be a radio talk show host. This expert is a scammer and completely unqualified. I would not recommend anyone accepting answers from her at al"

She is now a horrible moderator, who is accusatory, incentive, and as you said, moronic. I think they fabricated a reason to kick me out (that I was giving better advice than most 'legal' experts and respected bar rules), this despite them taking 50 percent of what I got from customers, and 75 percent of bonuses, not to mention their advertising income. Better services can be found at better places, such as www.liveperson.com and www.keen.com, and www.avvo.com. They don't rip their customers or their 'experts' off. And they're headed for a malpractice suit soon! It's illegal to call yourself an expert in an area of the law in California unless properly credentialed, so they misrepresent most of the people who give them 'advice.' Most of whom are more interested in writing as many answers as possible, even if they give horribly wrong advice. And if you try to correct it, even though you know the information is blatantly incorrect and coming from a non-lawyer, you get reprimanded.

Not worth it. Fucking scam, and will be happy to represent people in a class action against the bastards.
 10th of Feb, 2009 by   forgottenboy -1 Votes
I agree with the user! They're a scam, the ABA will refer to actual 'experts'--licensed to practice in your state and not laid off paralegals in England answering California specific questions, and then try to screw experts out of the 50 percent they graciously give them when they do jack shit.
 10th of Feb, 2009 by   Richard Moskowitz -2 Votes
Who is Janet Wilson. I am suppose to get in contact with her because you have my money but I can't get it unless I provide $830.00 security and processing fees. My e-mail is rgm7@sbcglobal.net
 7th of Apr, 2009 by   AlienBlood +1 Votes
There is a screening process for their experts, and I can guarantee (at least in the automotive section), there's very little googling (or plagiarism) other than to find wiring diagrams and photographs. There are real experts such as myself -- and I can verify that -- on the site, and most have upwards of 15 years experience in their fields, and I'm sure every one of us could use that little bit of extra income.

Customers: If you don't like your Expert's answer to your question, you don't pay. Simple as that.

Experts: You don't have to answer every question on the site. There's absolutely no sense spending 4 hours on something that pays you $10, so don't answer the questions that you know will take 4 hours.

I wonder if I can sign up to be an Expert in Common Sense... sheesh!
 16th of May, 2009 by   ExoticVet +1 Votes
I am a Board Certified avian veterinarian and just started answering questions for JA. They took 2 days to verify my veterinary license via the state examining board and then doublechecked my specialty certification via the specialty certifying board. The site does have at least one certified expert, not only did I complete a residency and pass the specialty certifying process, I also have 15 years in the field.

Good advice about not wasting excessive time answering difficult questions. I think 5 minutes is sufficient, though at this point I'm spending about 10 to 12 minutes per question. I hope this will speed up with time so it is worth it for me to continue helping people via this forum.
 7th of Jun, 2009 by   Emissery7 +1 Votes
Complete Rubbish! I have just used the forum for the first time and was pleased to have my problem diagnosed with tenacity and dedication by the expert so that I can obtain the relevant component. I paid the expert £8 bonus. The process will save me at least £50. Highly recommended to all.
 20th of Jul, 2009 by   cvt_in_minnesota 0 Votes
I am a state licensed and nationally certified veterinary technician who has been working on Justanswer for over a year now and I can say with absolutely no reservations that they do, in fact, verify the credentials for their experts.

When I joined the site I had to follow the 'prove it or lose it' rule at JA which means I had to have the state board that gave me my CVT license contact JA to verify that I did, in fact, have my certification.

It sounds to me like the original poster of this complaint may not have read things as completely as they'd like us to believe.
 20th of Jul, 2009 by   Stangmasterflash 0 Votes
I tried to get some info on my car's brake problem, and all I got was a guy that kept asking me more questions, and taking a long time to do so, and then never told me a solution, yet I was still charged the 9 bucks... I thought I had to approve this. I received no e-mails or anything to approve anything.
 24th of Jul, 2009 by   MikeBu 0 Votes
I used to work for so called justanswer.com and it is by far a scam. You only get 25% to answer the questions. I am a ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN and make alot more then 2.25 to answer in depth automotive questions. Most of the Experts are fake and just sell you alldatpro.com information which is illegal. The doctors and stuff also most likely are fake because my mother is a doctor and she said you cant answer these questions online its against practice. So dont use the site the boss Tammy also is a scam artist. So when you think your paying an expert your not you are giving your hard earned money to the site not the expert the expert gets pennys.
 13th of Aug, 2009 by   Arcturus +1 Votes
JustAnswer as far as I am concerned is a scam. I had a problem with my computer and asked them for advice on how to put it right, for which they would have charged me £8 IF their answer was correct AND I ACCEPTED IT. Meanwhile before they gave an answer the money had to be placed with Pay Pal. It was not correct and I did not accept it.

Within hours of contacting them my computer's motherboard failed. It has now been replaced and the machine works perfectly. They could not possibly have provided an answer to my original system malfunction problem any more than I or anyone else could have done.

Their moneyback guarantee is worthless as, in answer to my requests for its return, I am simply passed to yet another "expert" who states that he/she will go to work on my problem. What problem? There is no problem now and no thanks to them. I just want my money back and look very unlikely to get it.

I might add that since my original enquiry I have cancelled my credit card and the bank has issued a new one so that there is now no chance of it's misuse.

My advice to anyone contemplating using them for whatever query is not to do so under any circumstances.
 14th of Aug, 2009 by   davess -1 Votes
Its Sunday afternoon, and you have a legal filing that you have to make on Monday, worth $thousands, and your $300/hr attorney never called you back on Friday! Who you gonna call? It's panic time; you've got to show up in court with the right documents. Well... I called JustAnswer... and got TERRIFIC and fast and correct legal advice! And for $40... plus a little bonus that I added later.
What a great service!
 30th of Aug, 2009 by   sandygirl76 +1 Votes
I'm an expert in the homework section, and I have a PhD in English literature and many years' experience as a graduate teaching assistant and private tutor. JustAnswer actually had to verify my education through LexisNexis, which I had to pay $12 (to LexisNexis) for. (Once your education/certification(s)/etc. is verified by LexisNexis, JustAnswer reimburses you the money.) I believe that's pretty universal for all the catogories of experts on the site.
 14th of Sep, 2009 by   NixDude -1 Votes
I worked for Just Answer until they cut me off the middle of this month, I refused to give my SSN and birthdate (pronounced identity) to these people...Lexis Nexis cannot be trusted with vital information like your personal identity, This is just my opinion of c0urse...but the data breaches are many

Funny thing is, I had a perfect 100% satisfaction and was got the customers choice award for my efforts...and just because I asked for alternate ways to prove my credentials, I got canned.
 20th of Sep, 2009 by   soukky -1 Votes
This site does not give refunds if not fully satisfied with your answer.

and the expert i had did not give me a thoroughly enough solution for 13 dollars.

cmon now. i would not pay any one for not having taken a foot in my car.

i would rather much pay 50 bucks for some one to have actually poped their head inside the car.

Just answer is not a great solution !!!
 9th of Oct, 2009 by   sierra333 +1 Votes
I am new(August) to justanswer.com . I believe I have been given some good advice and not always in my favor. How is it possible to state what attorney/doctor and his/her name, picture if that's not who's answering your question? Also, if this is a fraud, why isn't a class action suit been filed?
 31st of Oct, 2009 by   Dr.. +2 Votes
I am surprised how wrong people can be.
FYI
Recently, Just Answer has performed a credential check of all experts through a dependable third party corporate agency andc I can vouch for their professionalism, . I am a MD working with JA part time and I know how authentic their services are.
Forget about credentials, just have a look at their services and you will know for yourself.
You would pay 5-10 times more for answers from specialists like this.

Dive.
 8th of Nov, 2009 by   Shel424 -1 Votes
I was terribly disappointed with justanswer.com - not only did they NOT fully answer my question after 2 tries (I don't think they actually read my question to be sure) - but they said I wouldn't have to pay if I wasn't satisified..well I wasn't and guess what? They still charged my credit card - SCAM SCAM SCAM! Don't use them.

Penny Auction Scams