logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (30 mins ago)
Orbmik Furniture
I would be careful about doing business with them.
2. (35 mins ago)
DS-MAX PROPERTIES ARE A FRUAD COMPANY
DS MAX PROPERTIES ARE A FRUAD COMPANY
3. (42 mins ago)
Vizio
Class action lawsuit
4. (49 mins ago)
Thomas Sabo Online Store.
Taking of payment no receipt of goods
5. (50 mins ago)
Stanford Hospital
Patient Safety

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Erie Insurance Group Complaints & Reviews - Erie Insurance sucks!

Erie Insurance Group Contacts & Informations

Erie Insurance Group

Posted:    Valerie

Erie Insurance sucks!

Erie Insurance Group - www.erieinsurance.com

After Thirty years of being a loyal costumer to Erie Insurance, we were throughly disappointed with their service. We are safe and considerate drivers with only a few small fender benders with a small claim to fix our car after being hit by a truck which was not our fault. But we never had serious crash or totaled a car and when we went for 20 years without a claim and giving them over 50,000 dollars later where were they when we needed them. Once again with accident that was not our fault with no injuries but the car was totaled in the accident. The car was only a 2002 model with only 36000 miles on it along with new tires and yet they apprise it for about 7000 dollars. The car only had a few more payments and then it would have been out but then they had to with hold 20% to use to help pay for the title of the car. Which is understandable but in order for us to find a used car like the one we had cost from 8000 to 10000 dollars. And always we asked was for a an extra 500 to 600 more dollars to help us purchase the car we want. Its not like we are trying to ask for a 12 or 13 thousand dollars here, we just wanted a few extra hundred dollars to help us out and make us a happy and satisfied costumer. Well now we are unhappy costumer that getting only like a 5000 dollar check which can hardly get us anything in this day and age. And now to make matters even worse once they said that our claim was settled they gave us only two days to use a rent a car and find a new car by then. There is no way one can find a new car in that amount of time. After being a loyal costumer and giving so much money they give us no time to find a new car and to use a rent a car and by valuing it out with the blue book as they call it. We were given the shaft even with out money and loyal service. To others out there with Erie Insurance or considering Erie Insurance, "DO NOT GET ERIE INSURANCE!". It may sound nice but they are not. They are unreliable and they they have ignore our complains on how they have served our claim. We hope others will not make the same mistake we did in trusting Erie Insurance.
Comments United States Auto Insurance & Loan
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Erie Insurance Group complaints
Erie Insurance Group - Uses Stupid Reasons To Charge More

Comments

22nd of Dec, 2007 by   Idiot Consumers 0 Votes
If you would read your policy it states that the insurance company is only liable for the actual cash value of the car at the time of the loss. It doesn't say that they will "pay you another $500 or $600 just because you don't have enough money to get a new one" If you feel you are being treated unfairly, call the department of insurance in your state- I bet they will tell you the same thing...
 16th of Apr, 2010 by   Linda Stemberger 0 Votes
THEY ARE THE WORST WE HAVE A CLAIM AGAINST THEM WHICH WAS DENIED BECAUSE THEY ARE TOTAL JERKS
 22nd of Jun, 2010 by   Thomas777 0 Votes
Agreed. I've never been involved with a company that gave me the creeps more than these people do. There is something about their attitude that screams "we really don't have time for you but if you insist on bothering, what can I do for you?" Erie Insurance... Score 1.0 on 1-10 based on their treatment of my family. Avoid.
 1st of Jul, 2010 by   eric scott 0 Votes
Erie has poor customer service and do not take care of there customer. I have been with Erie Ins. for 17 years and will soon find another insureance company.
 28th of Jan, 2011 by   bvshrikant_bgk 0 Votes
absolutely horrendous! should have hired an attorney to deal with this company, the agent was rude, degrading, and never returned my phone calls. thank God their not my insurance company, i would have been embarrassed!
my two teenage girls were involved in a roll over accident by an erie insured driver, who was cited for reckless driving, their were 5 teenagers in the car, the young lady not wearing a seat belt was critically injured but survived. the other four girls (including my two) were bruised up and had some lacerations but were terrified. my daughters medical bills totaled 5, 000., after 7 months of back and forth with them, the gave me a whopping 2500. for them combined, a damn joke! a settlement usually in the state of ohio is 2x the amount of medical bills, we'll not with erie. they lowball everyone, even the young girl who almost lost her life and had 100, 000. in medical bills.NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!! this whole experience was a damn nightmare i had to do their claims adjusters job, had to call all billing and make sure they received all the medical releases, which they did not, so i had to make sure she refaxed them. i kept a very clear and concise log of all phone calls, faxes and bills sent or revived, it help me in the long run. STAY AWAY, THEY ARE 100% THIEVES AND INCOMPETENT!
 28th of Jan, 2011 by   danzee2 0 Votes
I certainly can't address your individual experiences with ERIE or how you feel as a result. However, I can tell you that I too have been an ERIE customer for a long time and never had any negative experiences. I have had several accidents, some more serious than others, and ERIE always "made me whole" as painlessly as possible., including rental cars in accordance with my policy terms.
I have heard so many insurance horror stories that I guess I'm sticking with the horse I rode in on unless it changes behavior.
 3rd of Mar, 2011 by   Wozzy55 0 Votes
I HAVE BEEN WAITING ON THE SENIOR LIABILITY ADJUSTER TO GET BACK WITH ME, SHE SAYS SHE WILL CALL ON A CERTAIN DAY, SHE NEVER HAS, WE WERE REAR ENDED IN THE BACK OF OUR CAR, BY A KID THAT WAS COVERED UNDER ERIE INS...SHE HAS ALREADY SETTLED WITH 2 OTHER PEOPLE THAT WAS IN THE CAR WITH ME, , AND THEY GOT SCREWED BIG TIME, I'LL NEVER GO TO PA. AGAIN FOR ANYTHING, CAUSE IF U GET HIT UP THERE, AND THEY HAVE ERIE INS, U HAVE TO GO THRU YOUR OWN INS...OUR INS HAS PD MORE FOR US FOR CLAIMS THEN ERIE HAS PD OUT TO THE PEOPLE IN THE CAR AND THE OTHER THING IS, UR INS CAN'T COLLECT IT BACK FROM ERIE INS...DON'T EVER DEAL WITH ANYONE WHO HAS ERIE INS...GET A LAWYER FIRST...
 6th of Apr, 2011 by   Beagle Lover 0 Votes
I have had Erie Insurance (Home & Auto) for almost 10 years (During the Fall time I will celebrate my 10 Year Anniversary)l. As Danzee2 stated above, I too have had several accidents with Erie Insurance. Though none of the accidents were my fault, I always turned them into Erie to avoid having to deal with the other person's insurance (although 2 of the accidents, the other party had no insurance at all). Every claim was handled promptly with professionalism, caring, & understanding. Rental Cars were taken care of immediately, most on the same day as the accident. My cars were always fixed at an auto repair facility that I selected (in fact one accident, the adjuster spent more money just to make sure my car was fixed with all original parts). Erie has always promptly paid the medical bills & property damage. I have had 3 cars which were deemed to be total losses & the Erie Insurance Adjust promptly evaluated the car & paid immediately upon inspection. The adjuster actually came to my home and delivered the check personally. My insurance premiums were never raised & and I have never been denied insurance, or coverage, when filing my insurance claims with Erie. I have actually been awarded a "get out of jail free card' so-to-speak. Erie has issued my wife and I a "one time at fault accident waiver." Basically what this means is the first at fault accident that either my wife or myself has, Erie will not surcharge our auto policy by raise our premiums. How many companies actually do that? In fact, Erie has told us once we reach our 15th Anniversary, we will be given what is called "Feature Fifteen". What this means is that our policy will never be surcharged for any future at fault accidents, regardless of how many. I have actually witnessed this through a friend of mine. His teenage son had an accident & the policy listed the date of the accident with the words "Forgiven under the 1st at fault accident waiver." When their teenage son had his second accident on their policy, the date of the accident was listed & beside it was stated "Forgiven under Feature Fifteen." So I know what they tell me is completely true.
I'm sorry to hear that other people have filed complaints & are unhappy about the experience with the Claims Adjuster as well as Erie themselves. I have never received a negative experience with Erie. I highly recommend them to anyone I know. In fact, my Mother is also insured with Erie and has had 2 claims of significant damage to the vehicles. My Mother stated she has received the same type of experience dealing with the claim that I had. My parents were also quite fond of the adjuster handling each claim; the insurance adjuster also came to her home and delivered the checks personally. So I know I (& my parents)will be staying with Erie Insurance. We plan on never changing to another insurance carrier. If we were to experience the issues as stated above, we then might switch carriers. Something to remember: Everyone has different personalites & we are all struck one way or the other. Perhaps the "bad experiences" were because of conflicting personalities with the adjuster & not Erie the company.
 16th of Nov, 2011 by   independent agent 1 0 Votes
I think if you look at the trend here you will see that Erie seems to do a great job for their own customers, but is not as great for people who were hit by their customers. An interesting industry fact: Erie is rated as one of the top companies in the industry for customer service by their customers. Maybe not by G Wales, who started this thread, but they clearly do not understand insurance. I understand G Wales wanted more money, but that is not what the policy called for. If you are thinking about leaving Erie because of that, you better think again. Their are all sorts of other reports out there about companies not paying a dime for the same type of accident you got into. You may not like the insurance industry (the industry set the standard on what is to be paid and what is not), but Erie followed the rules and contractual agreement perfectly. Also, if Erie just decided to give you an extra $500-$600 then they would be law have to do the same for others in the same circumstances. What would that do? It would increase everybody's premiums, so you would have gotten a couple of hundred dollars more for your accident, but then you would have been paying higher premiums for years!
I have been studying to become an independent insurance agent and doing research on as many of the insurance companies as I can. I have found horror stories with many big name companies, but with Erie all I could find was this tread. I have also found a number of blogs from independent agents that rave about how good Erie is. Those independent agents have lots of other insurance companies to deal with and they are raving about Erie.

Just though others may be interested...
 25th of Jan, 2012 by   Tom Stumpf 0 Votes
I am an ex Erie Insurance agent. I was an Erie Agent in good standing for almost 3 years. After working for Erie, I realized there were serious issues with their business practices. I currently have a suit filed against Erie Insurance in the North Carolina Superior Court In Chatham County under case #11CVS103. My suit against Erie is for Fraud and Deceptive Trade Practices, among other issues. Erie Insurance has attempted to slow down this case and their attorney, Susan Hargrove of Smith Anderson, attempted to get the case dismissed in November of last year. The Superior Court Judge chose to throw out all four of Erie's motions to dismiss my case. It is now headed for trial. Mr. Ronnie Chamberlain and Mr. Richard Suddarth are also defendants in this matter. Ronnie Chamberlain was the Erie Insurance branch manager in Raleigh and Richard Suddarth was the Raleigh branch district sales manager. If you are considering filing litigation against Erie Insurance, you should contact my attorney, Mr. Dickson Phillips of Bradshaw Hinson at (919)328-8808. He is an excellent attorney and has done a solid job handling my case. thomasstumpf@hotmail.com
 10th of Jul, 2012 by   hhp2526 0 Votes
I HAD been an Erie customer for 20/30yrs. In 2011 I filed a claim under my homeowners policy thinking they would represent me in a suit. What they did was represent themselves and paid the suit because it was cheaper than investigating it and going to court. Then they cancelled my policy because of the claim. I tried to bring to their attention that had they fought the case we could have won. No response from Erie. OK if they didn't want to do anything because of the cost why I'm I getting cancelled because they don't want to deal with it? Their answer "reduce risk". My answer "Everything is great when you pay them, not so great when they pay."
 8th of Oct, 2012 by   Beagle Lover 0 Votes
This question is for hhp2526 - How much money did the suit ultimately cost Erie?
 8th of Sep, 2013 by   heather04162010 0 Votes
My husband and I had a house fire 8 weeks ago and still have not settled bc they are going to legal matters after hiring an investigator to lie for them so they dont pay out...not happy at all and suit will be filed
 25th of Feb, 2014 by   cece1990 0 Votes
If you ever get into an accident with the other party having Eerie insurance and the other party at fault, expect the most horrendous experience of your life!!! My mother got into a big accident and had to get knee surgery, her ribs were bruised, we went to the emergency room, and she had to get physical therapy three times a week. The claims adjuster, KRISTEN, IS, since this is still unresolved after over a year!, lazy, never returns phone calls, claims she loses emails and every time we send her profusive amount of emails with all the medical files, she loses them. We have called her supervisor, but the supervisor never picks up, and everytime we leave a voicemail, Kristen is the one who calls back!!! We have had enough!!! Getting a lawyer would be the last option, but I just want to give this claim adjuster hell!!! she has given us enough hell and I dont know if she has Erie behind her back, but Karma is a bitch and hope she gets what she deserves.

Resolutions 2011 - Saving More