Dollar General

Posted:

Dress Code

3.3
It is ridiculous that I work for a company that forces you to beg for donations from customers that not only for obviously reasons have no money or would not be shopping there but are made to feel bad for not donating their money.<br /><br />
Plus, once again our dress code is changing and guess who has to pay for the change? Employees! DG will not even provide the uniforms but they sure will be nice enough to sell the shirts to us for regular price. Then of course we have to buy the pants to, which I can not afford the shirts little long the pants. If I had money I would not be working at Dollar General. I need regular clothes, food & so on, I can not imagine trying to find the money to buy for the new dress code so I can continue to work there. They expect us to make a living on what they pay plus they just cut the pay roll again so I only get 20 hours a week now!
Complaint comments Comments (39) Complaint country United States Complaint category Job & Career

Comments

23rd of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes

Dollar General Eagle Lake Tx 77434 Store#3426 - mangerment
dollar general store#3426
Eagle Lake
Texas
Phone: (979)234-5140

I STARTED WORKING SEP.14 2008 .THEN SHE WORKED ME A WHOLE WEEK WITH NO DAYS OFF. SHE SCHEDULED ME FOR SUNDAY, 21 2008 AT 8:00 IN THE MORNING. I SHOWED UP FOR WORK TO FIND OUT THEY DIDNT OPEN UNTIL 9:00. I JOKEING TOLD THE MANGER WHEN SEE SHOWED UP. THAT SHE SCHEDULED ME FOR 8:00 WHEN YALL DIDNT OPEN UNTIL 9:00 (AND I POINTED AT HER WHEN I SAID IT PLAYING).THEN SHE GOT MAD AND SAID DONT POINT AT ME IN PUBLIC IN FRONT OF CUSTOMERS. MY COMPLAINT IS WERE DOES SHE GET OFF TALKING SMART TO ME WHEN SHE IS THE ONE MADE THE MISTAKE. SHE DIDNT SAY SORRY ABOUT ME COMING IN AT 8:00 IN THE MORNING . THE PROBLEM I HAVE WITH THIS IS I HAVE FOUR KIDS AND MY HUSBAND AND I AGREE TO WORK WITH ONE ANOTHER SO I CAN HAVE A JOB. WHEN I AM AT WORK HE WATCHES THE CHILDREN FOR ME .THEN WHEN I GET OFF HE DOES HIS WORK, AND THE MANAGER KNEW THIS BEFORE I STARTED . HOW CAN I CONIUE TO WORK WHEN THERE IS NO SCHEDULE . WHEN I STARTED SHE SAID EVERYBODY UNLOADS TRUCK ON FRIDAY WE ARE TAKING TURNS. BUT I HAVE UNLOADED THE TRUNK TWO TIMES IN A WEEK (MONDAY AND FRIDAY). IT WAS JUST ME AND DEVIN UNLOADING TRUNK WHEN BONNIE WAS ON PHONE WITH MANAGER CHERYL . WHEN CHERYL KNEW WE WERE UNLOADING TRUCK (FRIDAY).I LIKED MY JOB UNTIL THE MANAGER ? SHOW HER TRUE COLORS.(GETTING RUDE) THIS IS WHY YOU CANT KEEP HELP IN THE STORE . YOU NEED TO FIND A NEW MANAGER.I AM NOT THE ONLY PERSON WHO HAS WORKED THERE THAT FEELS THAT WAY. TIME WENT IN SATURDAY AND TO DAY IS TUESDAY AND SHE DOESNT HAVE A SCHEDULE UP YET. I CANT WORK THERE ANY MORE WITH THIS. GET A NEW MANAGER AND THEN YOU WILL KEEP HELP. MARY ALLEY
 5th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes

Dollar General Eagle Lake Tx - not getting payed after three weeks.
dollar general eagle lake tx
407 west main st
Eagle Lake 77434
Texas
Phone: 979 234-5140

I HAVE WORKED FOR THREE WEEKS . THE MANGER NEVER SAID IF WE DIDNT TAKE A DRUG TEST WE WOULD NOT GET ARE PAY CHECK. SHE GOT THEM ON WEDENSDAY AND DIDNT TELL US SHE DIDNT GET ARE CHECKS UNTIL FRIDAY AT 7:00 PM. AND I KNOW SHE HAS HIRED OTHER PEOPLE SO I KNOW SHE KNEW IF WE DIDNT TAKE THE DRUG WE WERENT GETTING PAYED. SHE HASNT TURNED IN MY HOURS. SHE WAS TO MUCH IN HER LIFE AND NOT WORK. I AM NOT GOING BACK UNTIL I GET MY PAY CHECK AND I WILL WRITE ONE OF THESE EVERY DAY . SO DOLLAR GENERAL NEEDS TO GET THERE STUFF STRATE . AND START PAYING THERE HELP. ARE GET NEW MANGERS. MARY ALLEY (3426) STORE
 5th of Feb, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I dont think they should make the employee's pay for their own uniforms, since its the yellow shirts :P who would want to wear yellow? I was annoyed when i found out that we had to wear the black and yellow. I haven't worked for dollar general very long and already I know that there are things wrong with the store im at and with the company not willing to acknowledge them or change it. The DM says that its the employees fault that the stores theft is so high. We do what we can to catch shoplifters, but we don't have enough payroll to have people just walking the floor looking for thieves, nor do we have the best anti theft systems. All stores should have the tags on the clothes that the beeper goes off if someone tries to steal it. I know that the previous company that I worked for had them, its not a certain technique that is guaranteed to prevent theft but it does help. It would also help if the store was relocated to a better neighborhood. However from what i understand with this company that will never happen.
 30th of Mar, 2010 by    +1 Votes

Dollar General 0131 - bad
dollar general 0131
1011 s. baldwin ave
Marion
Indiana
Phone: 7656622228

I worked for the company for 6 years. I stepped up for almost a year. Do you know I got a dollar raise for stepping up? Instead of me getting offered the job permantely, they hired an outsider and took all but five cents off the raise away from me. And the new people likes to tell strangers that the reason everyone was gotten rid of was because of stealing. maybe they should be watching what they say or maybe the store manager, district manager and the rogional manager needs to get off of their backsides and pay attention to what is going on...
 21st of Apr, 2010 by    +2 Votes
They cut payroll every week it seems. And yeah, we have to pay for everything, donchaknow. The joys of retail. *rolls eyes*
 4th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
In one store in fla the store manager makes them put in money if they do not meet the min.
 23rd of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
Yeah i agree.It is freakin hottttttttt enough with out the whole black pants thing but what they are doing to me is just wrong.They over paid me and come on yeah i knew i couldn't keep it but but instead of taking it out of my check they want me to buy a money order 4 the amount and a stamp and send it back to them and come on i know it's just like 2 bucks but still they maid the mistake not me and i am the one paying for it
 23rd of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
Made*
 24th of May, 2010 by    -2 Votes
Your begging for donations is asking people do donate to charity. If you find this embarassing find a new line of work.
 26th of May, 2010 by    -1 Votes
While I agree that the company should not constantly change the dress code, this is still a free country and you are allowed to look for another job.
 26th of May, 2010 by    +3 Votes
It's not about being allowed to look for another job, it's about being able to even FIND a job in this economy. Do you think people work at places like DG because they want a career in it?
 29th of May, 2010 by    +1 Votes
People shoplift at DollarGeneral? Why, is junk now the in thing? Doesn't one go to jail for bottom of the barrel as for top of the line? Oh well, I guess thieves are stupid like Jay Leno says...
 29th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
Sometimes, I do agree that if you work for a company and they want you to wear a specific uniform, especially one with the company name on it, they should pay for it. Especially a big franchise operation like DG. Maybe you should charge them for advertising fees, after all when you wear their shirt with their name on it you are essentially advertising for them. On the other hand, no-one is forcing you people to work at Dollar General. The last time I checked you can still quit a job and go somewhere else in the U.S. If you don't like working at places like DG then better yourself with education or find a way to start your own business and then you can make up all the silly rules they want. Especially woman and minorities. There are so many programs through the SBA and Government that will help you start and expand a business you can't count them all. So please stop whining and get off your minimum wage you know what and do something with your life, besides whine about how your employer runs it's business.But don't be surprised if you do start a business and to the point where you are turning a profit, you understand where your employer was coming from when they charged you for that uniform. In case you didn't know it, that so called minimum wage job means your employer is really paying out around $10.70 or more per hour. You can thank the Government that, and with this idiot we have in the White House means it's certainly not going to get any better.
 3rd of Jun, 2010 by    -3 Votes
How bout you not work there if you dont like your job. With a 10% unemployment rate in this country there is someone who is glad to take your job and make your wage while you sit on your lazy, whiny ass.
 5th of Jun, 2010 by    -2 Votes
I dont need a time out chair but people in this county need to quit bitching about having a job and a paycheck. People without one are sick of listening to it and those who are happy with the job they go to like myself are tired of listening to the whiners who think they deserve more and arent willing to go out and get it. Im mean no one is coming to anyone ones door and saying oh sorry we overlooked your potential .. heres 50 grand a year. thanks for sitting anround and bitching .
 5th of Jun, 2010 by    -1 Votes
You know what I have learned from past experiences such as this, some jobs are just not worth the time or chaos. Here are the rules I established for myself when I worked jobs such as these, first, if I must wear a uniform, don't take the jobs. Second, if I must pay for the uniform, avoid the job. Third, only pursue employment that will allow me to wear my own clothes rather than someone else's. Why? simply because some states are at-will -states, which mean you can be fired for any reason without cause or you can simply quit without giving notice. This explains the high turnover rate many of places such as these have.
In other words, do not spend your personal money on uniforms or specific clothing to meet company dress codes or other needs, that is their responsibility to provide uniforms if they want employees to wear them. Think, if you could afford to spend money frivolously to meet dress code standards, why would you need the job. You are seeking employment to earn money not to spend what little you already have. So, what happens when things don't work out and for some reason the manager fires you or perhaps you decide to pursue other interest such as a better job, you are left stuck with all uniforms and your money is gone, which means you are not compensated for your lost either. One time I spent 20.00 for shirt from Target for a job (19.95 +tax), I bought three of them, they refused to pay for the uniforms or reimburse employees . I was suppose to work 30 hours per week in a testing center, instead, the manager scheduled us to work less than 20 hours per week to save money. So eventually, three of the five new employees left, I was one of them, first let me state, we signed contracts at the time for 30 hours per week with the regional manager, it was the manager of the testing site who did this, and yes, we called the regional manager, met with him, and informed him of what was going on.
We were left stuck with these dam shirts, but guess what, within two days the testing site had an add placed on monster.com for a new testing site manager! You see, at the time the regional manager hired us, "he informed us we had a choice of colors, either black and white, or beige and white, while the others wore beige and white, we wore black and white because that's what we had in our closets. Who wants to spend unnecessary money for clothing? Not only were we being pressured into spending money we did not have, we were also being scheduled for other than what the contract had specified. So to all those in these situations, always remember, you are seeking employment for capitol gain, not losses, do not spend money on these jobs, none of them are worth it!
 28th of Aug, 2010 by    +2 Votes
I work for DG and I am sick of the multi-tasking, stock shelves here and change the endcap here and oh by the way run the register too. In the meantime the manager sits there ass in the office and chews on some grub and doesn't do anything. And there is nothing better than wearing black and yellow and roasting your ass off in 90 plus degree weather, when your air unit is not working properly. Yes we were told that employee theft was the major problem, well that is total bull how bout corporate bring their lazy asses down and watch the floors for us instead of just coming in to interigate the employees and make them think they are working with thieves and can't trust each other, that's real "teamwork". This company is pathetic and just downright ignorant when it comes to pay, treatment of employees, and respect for what we do as little "pee ons". Hours being cut all the time, changes all the sudden and expect you to change your life. My life doesn't revolve around this shithole store and never will. You can be hospitalized or major sick and they accept your doctor exuse and then say they dont recognize them and write you up for it, what the hell. Oh and the best one is everyone uses your cash drawer and then when you end up short they write you up for that too. The favorite one I found to be seen is when you do a pick, and they tell you don't put it in the (timer) safe, bring it to them instead that way they don't have to deal with it at the end of the night. I mean god forbid they have to do some work and make an effort. I'm looking for something better than this job, and I hope something comes up soon, because I'm so close just to saying hell with it and walk out. But of course I would wait until were real busy, lined up halfway down the store, because noone will help you out and open up another register and walk out and let them deal with it. Our store has so many complaints from customers (online, and called in) but that doesn't seem to bother the district manager. I will never work for this company again.
 5th of Jan, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Been There, Done That! Have been with the co. 6 yrs. SUCKS!!! Clened up many stores, last one being if not cleaned up in 10 days...closed down by dept. of health ! Did it and ran the store for 3 yrs. thriving. Problem was, I was working 60-70 hrs a week. E-Z store, with t he way they pack the rolltainetrs had a case of bleach fall on my shoulder...lost it, called my DM and said I wanted to be demoted to my origanal store(4 miles as compared to 23 miles) I have been involved in a lawsuit against them which went to court in Sept. Have been writtn up several times since for things I can't control.My mgr. wears hearing aids, so has to speak on speakerphone. Heard today (as he was talking in the office) that we could have 2 people for a bit more to take my place...cuz Sherry isn't worth!!!BITE ME ALL I HAVE DONE I AM SO WITH ANYONE AGAINST DG!!!PS NOT BEGGING 4 LITERACY...8000 STORES...WHERE THE MONEY GO??????????
 2nd of Feb, 2012 by    +3 Votes
I'm sry, but if you're really bitching about the people who are lodging their complaint about their job on a website called "complaintsboard" then you are obviously a dipshit for coming here and expecting anything else other than complaining. If those with jobs are tired of hearing people complain about theirs, then GTFO this website. Obviously there is a good reason you are jobless. So while you're sitting on your fat, unemployed ass at your computer desk all day, remember that the welfare you collect every month comes out of OUR shitty paychecks that we work our asses off to earn. SO STFU and mind your own damn business!
 30th of Apr, 2012 by    +1 Votes

Dollar General - misleeding me.

Went there to shop one of the items was on sell at least the sign said so when I checked the receipt. It didn't take it off so I came back in to get my money back which I was right when she checked the sign herself, but she had to put in my id and make a copy of the receipt, which makes you feel like you done something wrong. She was not friendly or did she have a smile on her face and she took forever to make the copy which she had to go to the back of the store. All over just rude

Dollar General Logo Dollar General