logo

3. (42 mins ago)
Fibi Bank Plc
Fraud email
4. (42 mins ago)
Chevrolet Motors Worldwide Ltd.
fake lottery

Bank Of America

Posted:    Bank of America FORMER customer

Privacy Assist Scam

Bank of America
**DON"T BANK WITH BANK OF AMERICA!!!** I am writing this to inform EVERYONE - DON'T Bank with BoA! I am on my elderly father's accounts and recently I was checking something in the account when I came across $12.99 debit that stated "Privacy Assist Bank of America". I found this odd so I researched the past statements and found that it started in March 2009 at $12.99 every month. I know my dad didn't enroll in this, so I printed it out and gave it to him to go to the bank the next morning! He went there alright and was told by an EMPLOYEE " Someone tampered with your account" Yes, someone did tamper with the account- Bank of America tampered with the account! Later my dad told me what happened and I have never seen him this mad. He stated that he was going to close his account (an account he had since 2 banks before BoA took over). I went with him the next day to a different branch to close the accounts. That is when I learned that my dad was NOT refunded for the money they ILLEGALLY took out of his account. I had to ask for the refund and even then the banker seemed like he didn't want to help. He told us "that's a different department" As if I care that it's a different dept! Longer story short - Privacy Assist didn't want to refund all of the money. They told my dad "we did a service so we can't refund all of it". Well, I got on the phone and asked for a supervisor, but they wouldn't talk to me. So I told them "that's fine, but here's what I want to know..Why did you take the money that you had no authority to take? And what do you mean you won't give a full refund? What you did was illegal and I want the money back." Within minutes, they had agreed to give the full refund back. Do you think it ends there? NOPE! The banker told me that they would give the full amount back but it takes 7 - 10 DAYS to get the refund and the account has to be re-opened!! I agreed to that only because I wanted that refund. But have they never heard of electronic deposits? So they can electronically TAKE money without permission but they CAN'T electronically DEPOSIT they money back that they should never have taken! Also, why does the account have to be open? Mail a check - you are a bank - MAIL A CHECK!!
I think that BoA targets SENIOR CITIZENS by enrolling them fraudulantly in the Privact Assist. I think this because both my sister and I have checking accounts and neither one of us were "automatically enrolled" in Privacy Assist. Plus, I asked several times "How did this happen? How was my dad enrolled in this?" And every time I asked I was told a different answer. Some of the answers were "When your dad activated the debit card - that would activate it." Really - because if they had checked his record - he DOESN'T have a debit card and never had one!
Bank of America rips off their customers with the Privacy Assist! They DIDN'T give the refund that they said they would and when I called today I was given the run around again ! I get more running done when dealing with them that I do on a treadmill!! HA HA~ But seriously - BoA has NO RIGHT to have taken that money, NO RIGHT to have enrolled him in anything with his knowledge and approval, and most of all - they have NO RIGHT to take 7 - 10 days to refund what they took electronically and then they didn't even refund the full amount!!
Bottom line - DON'T BANK WITH BANK OF AMERICA!
Comments United States Banks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of Jan, 2008 by   Rachael Rivera 0 Votes

Bank Of America Wire Transfer - International Wire Transfer scam!
Bank OF America
11800 Research Pkwy, 32826
Orlando
Florida
Phone: 407-384-2495
www.bankofamerica.com

I sent a wire transfer from Bank OF America Research Parkway Branch, Orlando, Florida 32826 on 10/10/2007 to Trinidad, and to this date the recipient has not received it neither has their bank any information about the transfer, I faxed my wire transfer receipt to the bank & the recipient, & confirmed all the information I gave to Bank Of America was correct, but still they have not been able to transfer the money, & the money is not in my account - this is all my savings. I have been to the branch several times, I called their wire transfer department but they are pointing fingers at each other - the wire transfer department which I called on 1-800-729-9473 said I should speak with the branch I sent the transfer from, the manager Mr Evans & the assistant manager Ms Patel is saying it is in the hands of the wire transfer department. This is very very very bad business, my relatives needed this money for medical costs, I have to keep chasing these people, and all I get is bad customer service & serious runaround for my own money. This transfer should have only taken approximately 3 days, it is almost a month now & nothing!
 19th of Jan, 2008 by   Craig Bullim 0 Votes
Why are you wiring money to Trinidad??

20th of May, 2008 by   alicia flores 0 Votes
wow, I do wire internationally too. It is scary. Get an ATTORNEY RIGHT AWAY AND SUE THEM>>>>
 11th of Jun, 2008 by   uche manu 0 Votes
What you need to do is take it up with the receiving bank, most likely your money is sitting at that bank and might have been deposited into someone else's account. Unfortunately once a wire is confirmed sent out of the U.S its close to impossible to bring it back.
The only way you can get it back is if the receiving back has mismatched information and are honest enough to reject the wire as a mismatched otherwise ?????????????
 11th of Jun, 2008 by   uche manu 0 Votes
ok!
 17th of Sep, 2008 by   uttam 0 Votes
i have filed a wire transfer from boa to wellsfargo but due to limited information wellsfargo rejected my wire transfer and bank of america didn.t let me know about my status of wire transfer. later on when my beneficiary told me he hadn't received money i found that my transfer was cancelled.
bank of america didn't informed me about my wired transfer and they charged me 35$ for wire transfer that's really great what a good service and just charging 35$ really very cheap and excellent service. i tried to know the reason and it took me almost 4 hours to reach the person with the information and i lost 4 hrs a day talking with BOA machines . that was another good aspect of their customer relationship. well thank you BOA for taking good care of your customer.
 20th of Oct, 2008 by   Bin Huang 0 Votes
Bank of America is like Bank of Ass. Since last week (Oct14th 2008) I have spent several hours each day to call the Bank of America track my wire transfer from China. Every BOA representative told different story about my incoming transfer, I don't know which story I should listen to. I am really sicking tired of calling them, they don't get the problem solved right away. They always told you which way you need to check and wait. And now I am still no idea where my money is because the bank in China hasn't received any returning money from BOA.
 9th of Dec, 2008 by   fuckbofa 0 Votes
WOW i need money emergency... my parents have sent me money for thxgving but until now my money is not here.. i called them every day they told me to check for the sander bank... so i did check with them and they say the money has been sent and everything is okay... any idea guys on wat to do ?? i called the boa guys and they keep passing me here and there... im sick of it like fuck man... can someone help me please...
 24th of Mar, 2009 by   eilan 0 Votes
I discovered now, after 4 hours being bounced from hotline to hotline, that they set international exchange rates some 4 to 5% different from normal exchange rates. After 4 hours, they tell me that there is no commission but my international transfer costed me 600 dollars (over less than 16, 000). On top of it, there is no way to verify if that is really the exchange rate they quoted on that day as they only give you the one for the day, which of course looks great.
Not sure if this is legal, but somehow I have my doubts. I am furious.
 8th of Apr, 2009 by   Gene Kelly +1 Votes
With the technology we have these days, it is absurd for anything like this to happen. And then for the sending institution to take such a cavalier attitude and even charge the person they have fouled things up for. Absurd and appauling

Gene Kelly
 9th of Jul, 2009 by   BOA customer 0 Votes
I have been using BOA for a long time (actually the only bank I used so far) but recently found that they are vary bad when it comes to wire transfer. I had to spend several days on the phone talking to a bunch of customer service representatives without getting nothing done. I am on the verge of losing my deposit on mortgage down payment for the house I bought here in Canada thanks to amazing BOA wire transfer system.
 25th of Aug, 2009 by   Katerina 0 Votes
I wanted to wire tranfer money to a bank in Poland, went to a branch of BOA, filled out a form - provided all the information - Bank name, account #, SWIFT #. Supposedly, BOA cannot wire my money to the bank in Poland. They are requesting that I provide them with the name of the intermediary bank in NY. My bank in Poland has never heard of such request. By the way, it is a reputable European bank, and they said they NEVER had any problems - people witred moeny from banks all over the world, without any problems. Bank of America - you are one of the biggest banks in this country - why is such a simple transaction such a BIG problem?? I will have to take my money from my account, and wire it from some place else. And I am serously considering of switching to a different bank.
 25th of Aug, 2009 by   hi158 +1 Votes
i am a boa customer, closing out my account at the end of this week. i am so disgusted with their banking practices and their lack of concern for their customers...I was previously employed by BOA and I know how little their customers mean to them from the inside, however, since the recession, things have gotten worse, and their only concern is generating revenue off the backs of their customers at whatever cost..it is frustrating and disgusting...so i am not surprised at the wire transfer problems or any others...your best bet is to move your money elsewhere...
 19th of Sep, 2009 by   KKEENNTT 0 Votes
I read your above statement with interest. My father is 84, recently had open-heart surgery, has a dementia diagnosis for which he is on medication. He has never had a Bank of America account. He does have a credit card thru his local bank which he never uses. Recently, when writing out his bills, I found a credit card bill with a charge for Privacy Assist in the amount of $12.99. As far as I can tell, this was the first charge for this. I immediately called the number to inquire. Like you, I was given the run around by everyone I talked to. I wound up having to call the third number given to me and finally talked with a lady at Bank of America. I explained the situation. She said she would have to speak with my father. He was sitting next to me and I handed him the phone. She asked his telephone number which he could not give to her so I prompted him. She asked to speak to me. She told me that she couldn't speak to him because I was giving him the answers. I explained that I am his Power of Attorney. She then gave me an address and said to write to this address giving the details of the situation, my contact details, and a copy of the POA. Like you, no one could tell me how my father was signed up for this service. Also, like you, I have a credit card with the same bank my father uses and no one has ever contacted me about this service and similar charges have never showed up on my credit card statements. I agree that BoA is targeting the elderly. I have composed a letter and have sent it via certified mail to the address provided, which happens to be in Chantilly, Virginia. We will see what happens. I want to resolve this issue without having to pay for an attorney to handle it. I am also writing to my Congressman and Senator and suggest that anyone in this situation do the same. This attack on the vulnerable has to be stopped!
 25th of Sep, 2009 by   livead +1 Votes
I htink its more absurd that there are Bank of America ads on this page!
 13th of Oct, 2009 by   ainedunn@comcast.net 0 Votes
I recently lost my husband and had been less than attentive to our checking accnt. info as it arrived each month. My husband was ill and I was his caretaker and as long as the $$ in the accnt. proved ok. I was comfortable. I've had time to go over the accnts. online and realized that we had been charged $12.99 a month for 7 months and no one could explain at BofA. They referred me to Privacy Assist phone no. which I called and explained as best I could what I perceived to be $12.99 withdrawal for 7 months and I did not know how or why. The very kind woman explained it was to protect the SS of my late husband...still not a satisfactory answer. I asked to speak to her supervisor in hopes of having some explanation. No one would get on the phone with me. Instead, I was asked to FAX a death cert. to them. I replied this was not something I could/would do. I am presently on crutches, this would be a burden and I was not comfortable with this resolution. Since they withdrew the $$ why should I have to prove with a death cert. that he was gone. I was not happy and when the woman came back on she asked for his SS and DOB which I gave her and asked when I could see the refund. She stated they would refund 6 months fee and it would take several statements on my B of A accnt. for it to sho. I thanked her personally and stated this seemed fradulent to me and I was very unhappy with the bank.

If this is a preview of B of Am. new policies, I will be changing my bank. How dare they promote this type of scam.
 18th of Nov, 2009 by   sd_hiking 0 Votes
I have a same exprience with my father's credit card account. He had been ill and not used his credit card for a long time but $12.99 monthly fee was started for several month without his knowledge. Becausee he does not speak English well, I guess they might take advantage of it over phone. When my mother visited BofA couple month ago and asked about the charge, they told her that she needed to pay the amount without explaining what it is. After finding out the charge, we closed the account. Even closing the account was not easy. I was translating for my mom and told her what to say. The BofA customer service told me I could not told her what to say. Worst bank!
 25th of Nov, 2009 by   Airam -1 Votes
Your claims are outrageous. Obviously you all should be more careful and pay attention to what you are doing. If you care so much then you would have noticed the charges earlier. It seems to me that you didn't pay attention to the fine print. Also banks have voice authorizations and confimations. I no doubt need to remind everyone it wouldn't be a problem if they would PAY ATTENTION.
 19th of Jan, 2010 by   snookers 0 Votes
I just received a call from BOA about this totally unnecessary expensive service. Bottom line, if you agree to have the stuff sent to your home, you agree to the $12.99 monthly charge. Only if you remember to call them within 30 days to cancel, you will be stuck with it.
All within the legal limits by voice authorization. Just do not agree to have the crap sent to your home. Like I did. Or just hang up the phone when they start their spiel about private assistance on identity theft. If you really worry about identity theft, most home insurance policies will accommodate for a lot less than the greedy unscrupulous banks.
And yes, I am a senior citizen, but still with a very sound mind though and adequate comprehension of English.
 27th of Jan, 2010 by   Sback 0 Votes
In agreement with snookers, I was contacted by Privacy Assistance as well with the same condition that I would be enrolled in the program at an additional 12.99 per month charge on top of my existing home loan payment and that to cancel I had to wait for the statement with the charge to arrive...telling the representative on the phone that I didn't want to enroll was not an option.

Consequently, I had to spend 25 min. of my day, with three transfers to the "correct department" to get the Privacy assist removed.

If you advertise a product I might be interested in, I will contact you. Do not enroll me in something and then make it my job to undo it.

Report: T-Mobile Customer Rip Off