logo

2180 State Rd. 434 Suite 2140, Longwood Florida 32779
Longwood, Florida
Phone: 407) 339-4217 ext. 1163
xulonpress.com
I searched this company and found there are several complaints concerning this company’s bate and switch policy and the cancel order policy. I placed an order and called the next day requesting cancellation. The company refused. I and my husband expressed our complaint concerning the fraudulent practice of this company. I was not surprised to find several had also complained about this company’s trickery when it comes to its wording in advertisement. As one stated in another complaint, "their wording is dishonest" I agree. I am surprise they consider themselves to be a Christian company, with such horrific practices. They lure you in offering giant discounts and free books only to over charge you and then discount the outrageous price. As you can see in the email I was charged for the so called 25 free books. Once I brought it to his attention, I was sent another email with the 25 removed, but the price for each book is now more. If the books are free then the price should have not changed... ... I plan on writing my elected officials as well.

Comments United States Books
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Sep, 2010 by   Donnie245 -1 Votes
Xulon Press does represent Christian values as they advertise. Once you send them your fee, there is absolutely no help from them in helping you getting your book published. I made the mistake of publishing with them and will never do so again. I warn others considering Xulon not to publish with them.
 11th of Mar, 2011 by   Woefully disappointed -1 Votes
After being invited to participate in a writing contest with the winner receiving "FREE Xulon Press Elite Publishing Package (valued at $7, 754) and a professionally-crafted press release to announce their win to the media, to bookstores, and on Xulon Press’ website, " and spending several hours editing my submission, I discovered at the end of the entry process that they wanted $39 to complete the submission! What a deal! If every hopeful sends $39 they can surely rack up a nice purse on this one!

Woefully disappointed in this "Christian" publisher!!!

Kim Davis
 14th of Mar, 2011 by   skeptical12 0 Votes
Go with a smaller company that will care about your book. Xulon is just too big to have time to care about the customer. It's all about the $$
 11th of Dec, 2011 by   Richard Ablondi -1 Votes
I cannot comment on Xulon's practices to be non-christian. I never had a negative feeling about them except two issues. One was addressed in another person's comments. They admit that they have grown too fast to handle the business they have. According to their rep., they were in the process of hiring more staff.
However, we have major disagreements about royalties and the retail price of my book. It is hard to believe that if they drop the retail price to a more considerable cost to consumers, that I have to buy my own book (which I own the copyright to) at their original price. Yes, greed may have a part of it. But I know God has laid this book on my heart to publish and felt that Xulon was the publisher to do it.. So ultimately He is the one who controls it's destiny. So, I must trust Him to bless it no matter how the forces of evil try to discourage it. Maybe if we complain enough something will be done. If we pray more, We will receive the results God desires. Brothers and sisters, lets commit to pray for Xulon as we struggle with this company that those in authority will be convicted of the "less than Christian" business practices. That our books will reap all that God has intended for them to reap in-spite of what Xulon does or does not do for us. And that we trust Him more to know that He is ultimately in control.
 10th of Jan, 2012 by   Sunny Smiles -1 Votes
I too have been had by Xulon Press. I have kept a positive attitude and TRUST they would be up front, honest and match their hype.
Today, nearly 5 months later; I am sooo disappointed, disgusted, frustrated and regretful that I went with Xulon Press.
I jumped through all the hoops to get my book published to meet the Christmas sales deadline. Through numerous neglectful, unprofessional, to the point of being nearly laughable if it weren't for the reality of : "This is my book and I want to get it done, and done RIGHT, and PROFESSIONALLY. . . . " . I can't find the words to describe how unbelievably disgusted, disappointed and frustrated I am. Yes, they insist the client PAY fully up front, before the book can go to press: Once paid. . . FORGET ABOUT IT!!!
And the ridiculous excuses they make!!! sounds like the same excuses they made several years ago. . . this clearly shows the company is not even trying to walk it's talk. "the company is growing too fast."
Well, with any luck at all; that won't be a lasting response. . . . as it has been for the past couple of YEARS!!!
and the employees, can't even do an adequate follow up!!!
CLEARLY, the left hand doesn't have a clue what the right hand is doing.
HELLO, is there any management who cares????
When I got Jarad, supposedly management: I question HOW he got there: but he keeps telling me "He's the one that makes the BIG BUCKS!!!" like that's what I want to hear . . . after 5 months of screw-ups!!!
Please, do yourself a favor and Look ELSEWHERE if you're wanting to publish your book!!!
It is not to my liking to post a complaint, I feel in this case, the company drove me to this.
 1st of Mar, 2012 by   'Preacher Joe' 0 Votes
My published book possesses all the tangible assets I wanted, (ie. graphics, binding, etc.). Unfortunately, after the publishing (which I paid for up-front), seemingly, there's nothing else they desire to, or can do without additional monetary charges. That's where my disillusionment began; the constancy of, 'book fair inclusion' or 'insertion into publications', etc., notifications, but all for a (hefty, in my world) price. Again, the quality of the finished book was thoroughly acceptable, the publishing process was smooth with helpful representatives...and then it ended...and I sense a disconnect, unless I have money in hand. It's unfortunate when Christian companies don't strive to be revolutionary among their competitive peers...instead of mirroring prevailing secular practices. I'm not in the publishing business, however, I'm inclined to believe there's more to be afforded Christian authors that don't threaten the bottom line. Do I seek a free ride ?...perhaps in my dreams, but, No! Albeit, I DO expect a Christian publisher to think/act outside of the fettering, and proverbial 'this is how we've always seen it done' dusty box. I rest assured there's the most needed, mission filling, informative, entertaining, and quality books available today...not being read because of that ol' chainer himself, ...money.
 6th of Jul, 2012 by   Stay in position -1 Votes
Wow, reading you guys comments really has made me second guess dealing with Xulon. My rep. Eric Sullivan seemed to be genuine and sincere with assisting me in publishing my book. I pray that a Christian based publishing company is doing things with the integrity of The Holy Spirit so we can get God's Word out through our faith experiences. It seems the main theme from the comments are Xulon has become to big and does not have the man power or professionalism to effectively help authors after they have received the full payment. I really would like to get my book published because God laid it in my spirit and I know it will be an encouraging blessing to people. If not Xulon, what other suggestions does anyone has?
 18th of Jul, 2012 by   Blessed and Highly Favored -1 Votes
Wow! I spoke with Xulon today and was planning to contract with them on tomorrow. Fortunately, my last effort was to check and see if there were any reviews on Xulon. Thank God fo your reviews. I will be looking for another publisher on tomorrow instead of signing with Xulon! May God Almighty continue to bless you alll and crown your efforts with success.
 9th of Aug, 2012 by   Bettina Robles -1 Votes
I was concidering Xulon but I saw a comment by an author that said she would never go with a publishing company. She hired a gal to work with and got her book print ready. She found a printer and voila her book was published with less cost. I can't remember the name of the author but I contacted her to see if would share the girls info. I called Shanna and she was the best girl to work with. She was helpful, she was courteous, very patient and after working with her she got by book print ready. She gave me a flat fee. If anyone is interested I will give you her info. My grandson Tommy did my cover design and it is beautiful. I can also give you his info. I found a printer by my home and he has been wonderful to work with too. He will print 100 copies to 1000 copies. My cost was less than what a publisher asks for. Next week I will have my book printed and I am sooooo excited. So I too will never go to a publishing co. I did my own copyright, library of congress, barcodes, editing, etc. I learned alot but IT IS DONE! My grandson did a beautiful website, we got pay pal and I am getting orders already. So exciting. I had read that even when you get a Publishing Co you still have to do everything yourself to get your book going. If anyone needs help to publish your book, write to me. I can help you. I have learned by myself but it sure was worth it. I hope this was helpful for you. My website is; http://www.theheartofagiant.com
 9th of Aug, 2012 by   Bettina Robles 0 Votes
I want to add that I personally had nothing against Xulon. I just did it myself.
 11th of Dec, 2012 by   Divine Humility +1 Votes
My experience with Xulon Press has been phenomenal. The team was very professional and handled all of my concerns respectfully and in a timely manner. They captured my vision and printed my book as requested. I am doing well with my books. There is not one company that is perfect. Each company believe it or not has their flaws. However, don't allow someone bad experience discourage you from fulfilling your dream.

My advice...Pray about it and allow the Holy Ghost to lead you in the right direction. He did it for me with Xulon Press and I am happy and successful author.
 5th of Jan, 2013 by   Lovewritinginfo +1 Votes
Wow look at all these "Christian" authors judging and lying about a company. Being a "Self-Published" author means that you have to do work. Even when you get to my level of Traditional publishing, you STILL have to promote your book! Stop blaming a company because you can't get your book to sell. Maybe you should stop speaking bad about Xulon Press and go work on promoting your book. What a shame to see this. To everybody considering Xulon Press - they are a GREAT company. They are owned by Salem Communications so their marketing is fantastic! Instead of reading these "negative" and "very false" comments about Xulon Press, go research the positive things about this company. Everybody that spoke badly about Xulon Press should be sued for INTERNET DEFAMATION! By the way, I am a PROFESSIONAL published author with Traditional companies and Xulon Press. Xulon Press is a great company.
 5th of Jan, 2013 by   Lovewritinginfo +1 Votes
Oh yeah, this is to all the authors searching the web for reviews regarding Self-Publishing companies. Do yourself a favor, buy the Mark Levine book called The Fine Print of Self-Publishing, Fourth Edition - Everything You Need to Know About the Costs, Contracts, and Process of Self-Publishing. Mark Levine has been in the industry for years. He performs PROFESSIONAL reviews on every Self-Publishing companies out there. Do not listen to these bogus and unprofessional reviews. Here is the link to the Mark Levine book: http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Print-Self-Publishing-Fourth-Everything/dp/1935098551
 17th of Sep, 2013 by   Steven V. Taylor 0 Votes
Upon reading the bulk of these posts, one can easily figure Xulon's simply out to get your hard earned bucks and has no compassion as a company representing itself as of the Christian genre. Look, folks: I've published stuff myself and gone through all the work and tedium involved. I have a traditional publisher who handles non-Christian works I've done and will do so with future works, so this isn't exactly my first rodeo. Self publishing companies are in the business of printing up, setting up and putting up for sale the works of authors trying to go through those steps. It ain't cheap! Most of the time those works aren't exactly what ANY publisher, nor any agent for that matter, would wish to add onto their work loads. Xulon Press does exactly what they portend to do and I, for one, have found them to be every bit as legitimate as any other type of publisher. I'm pleased with the quality of my latest book and their expedience at working with me, and I haven't had a problem with communicating with them. Whenever money's changing hands you can expect lots of hype and embellishments from any vendor. These folks probably are caring Christians...but they're human, too. Also, there's just no way in this world you'll receive such a whopper slice of the royalties pie from a traditional publisher. For me it's so far...so good. as I'm working diligently at promoting what God's been inducing me to get out to anyone who'll read my humble words. I'll pray for you all. Steve Taylor
 24th of Nov, 2013 by   CJShope 0 Votes
I have read quite a few reviews in forum context and YouTube videos, etc. re: Xulon. I have a lot of concerns in publishing my book with them after reading some of them as well. However, I have not made it entirely through the process yet so I cannot comment on a final opinion. I do want to add to this group of commentary a few thoughts. First, if an author researches any of these self publishing companies it won't take long to discover they are all expensive. As noted previously, it isn't cheap! Secondly, I have also seen that some of those voicing their complaints, if you research them as well, seem to complain a lot and about many companies across the board. This should be considered when making decisions as well. Third, I have yet to find a self publishing company out there that doesn't have their own share of complaints. This of course makes it difficult to really feel too confident in any of them. I have seen some pros and cons so far. I can say that Xulon has a very helpful payment plan option that I could not find with other companies. The best I came across was to break the package cost up into two or three payments VS Xulon's up to 12 payments. For me this was a factor in my decision process. I have had some concern as the marketing emails have poured in for products that I felt were clearly included in my package also. However, I gave myself a little more than a year to get this project done so I haven't spent too much time fretting over it just yet. Rather I have tried to stay focused on developing my story and praying over it. As also noted previously, I would like to add that if an author is working with Xulon Press there stands to reason a good chance that author is a Christian seeking to publish with a Christian company. As such, it also stands to reason that if a story has been laid on the heart of that author by The Lord then that is where the trust should be left to see it through to fruition. PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying it isn't helpful to have honest reviews, it is. I am not saying I know Xulon Press to be above the complaints either. I have my own concerns. I am simply saying that as a believer, I feel it is imaparative to keep the faith and trust in the One who compelled me, and those called to write stories laid on their hearts, to write in the first place. He is faithful and will finish what He starts. I do know that there is much work and self promotion to be done when self publishing as well as when publishing through traditional means. Think about it, who else will have the passion to market more than the author who felt called to write the story? Due diligence? Yes! By all means. Contribute to help others make informative decisions? Again, yes! I just feel it would be more helpful to provide balanced opinions that include frustrations as well as what those posting have found to be helpful. This is what I am looking for when I research things and hope to find in my continued research as I publish different works. Just my opinion. I am learning so take it as such. Blessings and Thanks!
 12th of Dec, 2013 by   Christian Writer 0 Votes
It seems to me that most of those who complained here would not be able to complain had they read what Xulon was offering. They do a good job of disclosure on their site and in their forms. My guess is that most if not all of these grumbling and complaining reviewers would have felt the same with any publisher. Do yourself a favor and read what is being offered if you go with Xulon or anyone. Then don't expect preferential treatment and do expect issues when publishing, which almost always happen, be realistic. Xulon is really a decent company when compared to all of the self publishing options. They will do a good job for you.

A big part of the problem is that many Christian writers seem to think they have the message everyone needs to hear by tomorrow if not sooner. Trying to rush things for Christmas or whatever only leads to frustration and grief. Give yourself plenty of time and enjoy the process.

Then when you book is ready you need to get to work. We run one of the largest Christian writer websites and far to often Christian writers think their God inspired book is going to fly off the shelf. I am here to tell you this will not happen, even the Gospel message needed promotion. How will they believe if they have not heard. No matter how you publish you need to be prepared to market the heck out of your book if you want it to sell.
 31st of Mar, 2014 by   Joanie Sellers Edwards 0 Votes
I have had a wonderful experience so far. I really don't know what people expect. I didn't try to go through one of the big publishers and only wanted to self publish. Xulon has been there every step of the way. Jason and Jennifer did everything they said they would do. I have been pleasantly surprise with the amount of care and expertise they have provided. My book is just what I wanted.
Don't be afraid to work with them, not everyone can be satisfied nor can everyone be writers but if you feel led to tell your story, don't let the naysayers and complainers stop you from reaching your potential. God Bless.

Bogus Black Friday Ads