logo

Free version is a scam

Stopzilla
Phone: 1.877.877.9944
stopzilla.com
Not to long ago I download the free version of Stopzilla in order to take care of certain problems I was having with my computer. The advertisement said it took care of all spyware, adware and malware that was on your computer. At the time I didn't have the money to buy a well known program like spyware doctor (which I have now)

After taking about 20mins to download and to set up, I started it and after 5mins of scanning It said it found 10 "infections".

But when I hit the remove button surprise surprise it said I had to download the full version in order to remove the problems from my computer. And this was only the first part of the shenanigans that followed.

When I went to the add/remove program in order to delete from my computer after about 10secs of running the program a message pop up saying "stopzilla has stop the program and is unable to continue." or something more or less to that nature. So the program itself was preventing me from deleting it. So I restarted my computer and noticed it was taking a long time to load up and what turned out to be the problem... Stopzilla was trying to load up at the same time as everything else and it ended up crashing the computer 6 times before it loaded fully and gave my the same message "to download the full version in order to take care of the problems"

So I called the company at 1.877.877.9944 and they told me the problem was it didn't download all the files. The only way they could think of to solve my problem was to buy the full program (um... no I wasn't about to do that) or use this link they would send me in order to help delete it. So I look up the link and ended up finding other people had used it and all was saying the same thing. The link was bad and it only deleted parts of the programs which ended up causing the computer to blue screen or just out right crash.

So what i ended up have to do was have a friend completely reformat my computer in order to take care and fully deleted the program from my computer. So do yourself a favor and spend the $30 on Spyware Doctor and save yourself all the problems.

Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

5th of Jun, 2009 by   STOPzilla -3 Votes
Dear john7777,

My name is Mike Becker and I am with STOPzilla. I saw your post and wanted to take the time address some of the issues you experienced with STOPzilla.

STOPzilla is an award winning solution that successfully scans, blocks, and removes Spyware, Adware and Malware. We are one of four anti-spyware programs that have been given the West Coast Labs Checkmark Certification for Anti-Spyware Installed. We’ve also been awarded Cnet Editor’s Choice Award, Laptop Magazine Editor’s Choice Award, five stars from Tucows, TopTenREVIEWS Excellence Award and many more.

We do offer a free diagnostic scan in our trial version and full quarantine of any detected threats for 15 days. This free scan will identify any malicious threats that are currently active or dormant on your machine. Like our competitors, in order to remove any of the detected infections, you must have a registered copy of STOPzilla.

Along with our free trial version, we offer free technical support to both trial users and registered users. Users can reach us by calling our toll free phone number (1.877.877.9944), live chat and email. Offering this level of support is unheard of in our industry. Barring any extenuating circumstances outside of the service we provide, 99% of STOPzilla related problems or questions can be resolved free of charge by our Customer Support department.

If you have any questions, concerns, or comments please feel free to call us at 1-877-877-9944 or send us an email at support@is3.com.

Once again, we apologize for the confusion, and hope this response will allow you to try STOPzilla in the future.

Thank You!

Mike Becker
 25th of Jun, 2009 by   David Marshall ssp +2 Votes
I agree with john7777.

Stopzilla carefully words their ad so that it is very deceiving. Once installed on my machine, I had a terrible time getting it out without restoring my registry and backups. My xp media center was no match for the programming that went into that software. Since that install I have been leary of all internet advertisements that imply free assistance. CNET has lost its reputation for reliability and honesty in the process of its complicity in helping internet "Help" businesses to rip off customers. Too bad. The internet should have a "http://www.complaintsboard.com" for everything that is vulnerable to attack.
 29th of Jun, 2009 by   whitneyb505 +1 Votes
I got a charge from StopZilla for the software on my Amex, but I never downloaded, purchased, or used it. Mike Becker, what do you have to say about that?
 30th of Jun, 2009 by   john7777  Best Advice +4 Votes
But the sad part is Stopzilla is a real anti-virus program. It's just the "free version that's the scam. Once people get scammed into downloading the free version they are the stuck with it. They have to buy the full version or reformat their computer like I had to in order to get rid of it.
 21st of Jul, 2009 by   TjeerdG +3 Votes
My experience is that it said i had certain registry entries infected, but when i tried to find those registries using regedid, i could not find them nowhere... Also my browser was trying to download something on start-up, but this was caucht by AVG, but when i deleted STOPzilla it magicly stopped...

If your software is "so good" than please change your marketing techniques BECAUSE YOU REALLY PISS PEOPLE OFF!!!
 9th of Aug, 2009 by   Son of Spam +2 Votes
"Mike Becker" 's response doesn't actually say anything. He's trying to pull one over on computer users.

I saw the STOPZilla ad pop up during my browsing, and decided to go to Download.com to find out more about it. Out of all the replies, only one was positive, and that was only because he hadn't reached the nag screen yet. But then again, it may have been a STOPZilla troll trying to inject at least one positive review among the slags.

Someone there posted a link to this site, and I see there are more complaints.

While I have absolutely no intention of using this product (use AVG Free, people), I thought I should speak up nonetheless.

Take your scam, "Mike Becker" (or whatever your name really is) and Shove It.
 20th of Aug, 2009 by   klem57 -2 Votes
All I know is it worked for me where AVG and AdAware did not.
I had a couple of malicious anti-spyware programs auto install on my pc at work. AVG missed 'em, AdAware couldn't find them (and yes, I update them daily, sometimes twice a day).
I ran the free sweep from STOPzilla and it found them. Yes, I had to pay $10 for the full version in order to remove them, but hey, I charge $60 an hour for my time at my shop. An hour for me to research the problem instead of getting work done when $10 solved it immediately seems like a good deal to me.
I can't say much more because I haven't had it long enough, nor have I tried to uninstall it. It could use more functionality when it comes to turning features on and off, but otherwise I'm quite satisfied with the product.
 21st of Aug, 2009 by   dawn2222 +3 Votes
stopzilla is a total SCAM it found 10 infections on my pc and suprise suprise it asked me to download the full PAID FOR VERSION!!! to remove them, when i went to the add/remove programs it would not remove. after that i went and ran other well known scans and all was fine!!!
 23rd of Aug, 2009 by   ByronTylor -1 Votes
Make a Google map of the STOPZilla's company address (Is3)... an empty lot. Mmmm...

They don't include a map in their webiste, but a PDF with directions. Mmmm...

The lastnames of the Executive Management page are not american sounding, not even Floridian-latino. Mmmm...

Is this the best malware scam ever made?
 31st of Aug, 2009 by   jk326 -3 Votes
I had a problem on my computer that McAffee or AdAware could not fix. Based on the recommendations in Cnet, I downloaded StopZilla, ran it to find a great deal of malware on my laptop. The names of the items found correlated directly to the problems I was having so I felt there was no trickery on the part of IS3. I was not really surprised that I was required to pay for the full version to remove the malware - this is industry standard - and if they did not charge, how would they survive? Did you really think that anti-spyware survives through advertising? C'mon!

I I like StopZilla, and so far it works great! Not one problem, and I won't consider uninstalling.

Thanks again StopZilla - you saved the day for me!
 4th of Sep, 2009 by   Enforcer2006 +1 Votes
Mike Becker probably wrote the above post. My moms computer just crashed after installing stopzilla and all she is getting is a black screen when she loads her computer now. If I ever run into one of these idiots that made this program, they will never be able to write another code in their life.
 15th of Sep, 2009 by   STOPZILLASCAMMERS +1 Votes
STOP ZILLA WILL NOT REFUND. THEY KEEP SAYING WE CREDITED YOU STALL TACTICS LETTER SENT TO BBB AND ATTORNEY GENERAL
 15th of Sep, 2009 by   STOPZILLASCAMMERS 0 Votes
SCAM ARTISTS DON'T DOWNLOAD MICKEY MOUSE PROGRAM YOU CAN GET BETTER SECURITY BY DOING NOTHING HA HA
 18th of Sep, 2009 by   quietone -2 Votes
I'm sorry but i have to disagree with all but the one positive post on here. My reason why is that i uninstalled it myself trying the same method the above posts stated (such as goto add/remove programs) which of course i did and wooolah the program uninstalled itself successfully with no problems whatsoever, so that little issue you ran into with trying to uninstall is ludacrious & foolish, nothing personal.

PS: For the record last time if memory serves me correctly i recall that Spyware doctor (it's a pretty decent program despite not using the full version) like stopzilla is just the same when it comes to scanning for spyware, malware, etc, etc. and like stopzilla & some other spyware programs out there it's free to scan & you buy to remove the spyware, viruses and other crap of the nature. i'm sure that you all are gonna be asking me how do i know spyware doctor's a decent program?? it's fairly simple, I myself used the free version scan and yes i wasn't able to delete the threats but i wrote down the locations and filepaths of the threats and with just the free scan i was able to manually remove the threats from my PC, so that's why i believe it's a good program to purchase.

not everything is for everybody and stopzilla is one of them..

Goodluck and take care all.. ^^
 20th of Sep, 2009 by   ObjectiveGuy +1 Votes
On Spyware Doctor, I purchased the program. You can get a near fully functional version for free, by the way, by downloading googlepack. On that, one is afterward left with the impression that if you purchase the full version it will function in real-time. Only aspects of if function in real time. You will be asked on each boot if you will let it run it's scan. It ALWAYS finds stuff to remove, so it was never running in real-time. IOBit 360 is 100 percent free, it is real time, it is better than Spybot and Spyware Doctor put together, since I run all three simultaneously (7 Gig of Ram, 3.0 Ghz Processor, Terabyte HD). Since installing 360, the other two never show any positive scan results. I"m telling you, you will appreciate it. I am in no way affiliated with any software company. I'm just an end-user, everyday run of the mill guy. All of my friends are onto it, my family across the states, everyone says the same things about it.

On STOPzilla. Obviously they know more about running their customers off (in the company's short term profit goals - like daily targets) than they do about a long term progress plan. I, too, found Mr. Becker's response to be quite "Form Letter" in style. All they have to do is put in their description at CNET that it is a free scan only and you'll have to buy to remove ... but of course they can't do that, because it would be the truth, and people won't go for it.
 21st of Sep, 2009 by   wj1pjdajt +1 Votes
I had no problem removing it. It didn't waste my time nor my computer's time.

There are no traces of it after removal. Most reviews are subject to a user's capability; the machine's fitness and so on. It IS in fact the industry standard to scan for free without removal. We should expect that from the outset eventhough I disagree with that standard since it's initiative is inconsistent with profit through patience, as Mr. ObjectiveGuy said.

I removed it, obviously without purchase, due to comments and individual's reviews regarding their experiences. Research involving CNET comments, this site and four others aided in that decision. Refusals to simply, unquestioningly refund a person's money upon request demonstrates ill will. It's what, $40.00? The elimination of one negative review can earn a company many times that through unimpeded sales.
 1st of Nov, 2009 by   campagnola +2 Votes
The stopzilla monster took over my poor ailing Pc and its voracious demands for more attention meant that i had to keep it in a cage in my hard drive . amazingly the monster broke through these bars with that dragon breath and eventually burnt out my hard drive.
I have to hand it too the creators of this amazing frankensteins monster of the PC world that they really did do a good job of scareware, scamware, malware etc. The ironic thing is that the very thing that they profess to protect you from is exactly what they are doing themselves! I have had NO OTHER COMPANY HELPING ITSELF TO MY HARD EARNED BANK BALANCE!!!
But stopzilla ...

You take the buisuit.. cleverly getting me to trust you.. I thought you may have come from "mozilla" for instance, but I should have gone to spec savers.

congratulations Stopzilla, on getting under my RADAR .. but the USA govt should have put you out of business .. I agree with the above post that says doing nothing would have been infinately preferable . Its like hiring a body guard who beats you up at the end of the night and then bills you to do it again. This Limey is well pissed ofF!!!
 24th of Dec, 2009 by   Sander van der Schaaf 0 Votes
Now stopzilla is even working with the malware defense scam trojan and marketing fraud shit. I cannot remove it untill I buy one of these programs (which are probably all in this together). Stopzilla, Spydoctor, Mc Affee and probably many more.

Boycot these frauds! And get them sued!
 10th of Jan, 2010 by   MrMarco +1 Votes
After a major crash and an inability of Stopzilla to remove the virus on my computer ... I reimaged it myself and never used Slopzilla again. In addition I never received my rebate. When I called to cancell the automatic yearly charge to my credit card ($40) I was told that they never received a copy of my invoice. LIE! I sent all appropriate material. DO NOT TRUST THEM.
 22nd of Jan, 2010 by   rknighttrain +1 Votes
i downloaded stopzilla to address small problems which only magnified to huge problems ultimately ending in a blue screen of death. my computer ran horribly after downloading scamzilla and i can't help but think it somehow lead to my computers demise. the little fine print scam where you think you are paying 9.99 for it, then they bill you $40, thats cute also. without the doubt the worst customer service rep i have ever dealt with ever

Where to Find 60,000 Speed Traps Nationwide