Customer Service Department

Hoffman Estates, Illinois 60179

Attn: Advocate & Corporate
Complaint Department RE: Customer Service

To Whom It May Concern:

During these hard economic times, I found it necessary to purchase a new Dishwasher and Refrigerator. The appliances I had were over 20 years old and were not energy efficient items.

As I have done in the past, I researched the products and looked for discounts. I have owned Kenmore appliances in the past, and found the items that I wanted to purchase were top rated products recommended by www.consumerreport.com.

After my research, I decided to purchase appliances at Sears. On August 13, 2008, I purchased two items totaling $2, 439.57. Quite a substantial amount.

The Salesman, Eddie Barajas, did a wonderful job, as I had to call him a few times with measurement questions, and he was extremely helpful. After I purchased the items, I left the store feeling that I would definitely purchase other items from him in the future.

After discussion of delivery, I was told that I would be contacted within 72 hours with the date and times for delivery. I was concerned about having the deliveries too close, as I have a small kitchen, and did not want to have many delivery people in my home at once. Also, I have a large dog, and during hot weather, do not want him outside too long. I asked for delivery on a Wednesday or Thursday. My salesman told me that I could discuss this with the delivery department and would not have any problems, as the items were available at the local warehouse.

Within the 72 hour period, I was contacted by a company named Service Bench, to schedule the dishwasher installation, which was agreed upon. I was not contacted for the refrigerator delivery during that 72 hour period.

On Monday, August 18, I called Sears delivery at 800-732-7747, and I was told that the “Freezer” that I purchased was delivered on August 15, 2008. I told the person that I had purchased a Dishwasher and Refrigerator, not a Freezer and she advised me that the purchase was not in the computer. That evening I arrived home to have two messages from Sears delivery. One message scheduled the Refrigerator delivery for August 20, 2008, between 2 P.M. and 4 P.M., the Dishwasher was scheduled for August 20, 2008, between 3 P.M. and 5 P.M. I immediately called the automated system to verify, then talked to a person, and was advised to call after 6 P.M. for times.

I was a concerned that the deliveries would overlap and called the 1-800 number after 6 P.M., only to reach a recording. Finally, I reached a person who said to call after 9 P.M. and scheduling would be modified. Again, after 9 P.M., I called repeatedly, only to reach a recorded message. By this time I stopped calling. I only hoped that the day of delivery I would have adequate time to prepare for the two deliveries.

On Wednesday, August 20, 2008, around 11:30 A.M., I was contacted by the delivery men, asking permission to delivery the refrigerator early, as they were in the area. I was doing a project and told him that I needed time to empty out the old refrigerator, freezer, and clean the floor, cabinets and walls. I scrambled to get the items out of the freezer, when I discovered they were at my door. I had to get my dog out into the back yard and get two coolers from my garage for food storage.

The men seemed to be in a hurry, since they were ahead of schedule, and had the new refrigerator at my front door before I was ready for them. I was trying to work as fast as I could to empty and clean, and unfortunately left some items on one of the doors of the old refrigerator.

I pulled out the old refrigerator to clean, and they were standing there watching, not even an offer to help. I vacuumed and barely had time to mop the floor, while they were ushering me out of the way to move away the old appliance. I told them to be careful of the slate floor, as it will scratch. They were tilting it and I said “watch out”, then I knew the slate was scratched.

Meanwhile, I was unaware that I had left items in the refrigerator, and the men did not check or ask me to double check. I feel as though I was so rushed, I did not have the appropriate time to prepare. This was my main concern at the time of purchase, and it was happening.

As the Sears truck was leaving, another truck was backing up into my driveway, with the dishwasher. The time was approximately 1:30 P.M.

As the new dishwasher was being brought into my home, the old dishwasher was being disconnected and a tool chest was placed in the kitchen, therefore, I had no place to stand and put items in the refrigerator. I told the man that I wanted to clean under the area, and he said that would be no problem. He picked up some glass, screws and larger items himself, and then I was able to vacuum the dirt and cobwebs.

While I was in the kitchen, putting food items into the freezer before they melted, I realized some items were missing. I went through my coolers and could not find my RX and other items. I immediately called Sears delivery department and was told that the delivery truck was still out, and that I would receive a call from them within the hour. By this time, it was around 2:30 P.M., as the dishwasher people were still here.

During the call, I told Sears that I had neglected to get two prescriptions that needed refrigerated, and I needed the Pharmacy name and RX numbers so I could replace them, as they were expensive.

By 6 P.M., I had still not received a call, again calling customer service, only to listen to a recording. By now I had discovered just how many items were still on the door of the old refrigerator.

The following morning, August 21, 2008, I started calling customer service at around 10 A.M., and by 3:30 P.M., I had talked to 13 people! Two out of the 13 that I talked to offered me a $50.00 gift card and I was told to call the Sears Corporate Advocate and Customer Complaint Department at 800-795-5030 for food compensation. I then decided to wait until my next day off, as this was beginning to frustrate me.

Thursday morning, August 27, 2008, I had the unfortunate opportunity to talk to a woman who said her name was Tina, #563536. She is supposed to be the Advocate for the Complaint department. She was rude, unprofessional, continued to interrupt me as I spoke and down right awful and unhelpful!

I explained to her the situation, as it happened, about the prescriptions and food items; and that someone, during all the conversations with Customer Service, had told me that I would be reimbursed for the food items. She consistently badgered me about who, and how and did I get the misinformation about reimbursement for food items, as this is not policy, and what telephone numbers I had called .

I tried to tell her the names and ID numbers of the people I had talked to and she continued to tell me that she was going to hang up on me. Then I tried to describe the food items to her and she, again, stated that she was going to hang up on me.

I have been in Customer Service for over 35 years, and in all these years, I have learned how to listen and make sure the customer is finished venting before speaking. Had I been that rude, I would surely be out of a job!

The people I talked to from Sears on August 21, 2008, were:

Jack #24201 Unit Supervisor
Randy, Amanda, Clarisa #24201, Lei, John, Jack
Tenesya ##82013, Yuvan #1047
John #1112, Donnecia #79803 (very helpful)
Tina #563536 was the person I talked to on August 27, 2008.
Unfortunately, for me, I did not get every ID number.

Last Thursday, August 21, 2008 I called home delivery, at 1-800-732-7747, and was told that the old appliances were at a warehouse and was given 702-259-4200 to check if the appliances were still there. By now, frantic about the RX, I knew they had begun to spoil and I needed the information.

The girl I talked to informed me that the refrigerator was at Jaco
702-478-8015. Again, I was informed that the GE refrigerator was not there or may have already been shipped.

Now, I feel as though I am entitled to some sort of financial reimbursement. As for all the items that were left to spoil, for the prescriptions that I tried and tried and failed to acquire and mostly for all the unnecessary stress. My husband has been out of work most of the past two years, due to surgeries, and I do not have the $100.00 or more to replace the following food items:

Ketchup, Mustard, Mayonnaise, Chinese Mustard, Pine nuts, Two prescriptions @ $25.00 each, 5 bottles of Salad Dressing, Soy Sauce, Artichoke Cream Cheese Dip, 1 Box of Arm and Hammer Kitchen Baking Soda, Lemon Juice, One bottle of Marinara Sauce, Clam Juice, Clamato Juice, Coffee, Olives, Sweet & Sour Marinade, Vermouth, Teriyaki Sauce, and Two bottles of Salad Spritzers. Many of these items are not used on a daily basis, therefore it will be quite expensive to replace them.

I do not believe that I am being unreasonable in asking for compensation or a gift card to Vons, Albertsons, Smiths, all Nevada grocery stores, as I did what was required, in writing, by me for this delivery. I did not read anywhere that It was all my responsibility to have everything out of my refrigerator, although, had I had the appropriate amount of time or consideration I would not be writing this letter of complaint. I did everything in my power to talk to the various representatives from Sears for a solution, only to be passed on to another and another and another and another, finally to Tina to be told, basically, that I “was getting nothing!”

I am not asking for compensation for the scratches on the slate floor, as I know I can buff them out. I am asking for monetary help.

Unfortunately, you have lost a loyal Sears Customer of over 35 years, and I will notify all family members and friends of this unfortunate Customer Service Nightmare.

Margaret Stayen
3608 Broxburn Street
Las Vegas, NV 89108

Cc: Illinois Attorney General, Lisa Madigan
Nevada Attorney General
Clark County Better Business Bureau
Clark County Consumer Affairs
www.consumeraffairs, .com www.complaintsboardcom
Complaint comments Comments (1013) Complaint country United States Complaint category Airlines

29th of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes

Sears / Refrigirator - Bad service
9054 Loreleigh Way
Phone: 703-876-1711

Few years ago I bought a side-by-side GE refrigerator from sears at Falls church, VA with an extended warranty. My warranty is still valid until 2010. Couple of weeks ago the refrigerator started having problems, and it stopped working. On the 13th of September I called for warranty support to fix this problem, and their customer service said they are going to send a tech on the 19th between 8am and 5pm which made me take a whole day off. So I wait six to seven days with a broken refrigerator. On the 19th the tech comes to my house as scheduled and even without checking any thing he changed the mother board of the frig and was getting ready leave. Then I made him check inside the freezer which had ice build up. Finally he found there was a non working device inside. Then he said he has to order a part and it will take another week. Then they scheduled another appointment on the 26th of September. Now I wait without a frig for another seven days. So another tech comes on the 26th and put the new part and says it needs another part and they have to order the part. When I asked some questions this Tech was screaming at me in my own house. If he hadn’t left I would called the cops. Now I am still with a broken refrigerator, and uncertain when they are going to fix this problem. Please help me resolve this problem.

8th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes

14th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes

Sears Automotive - Did not have promised item
1011 W. Olive Ave
Phone: 209.725.2328

Needed tires: Called for price and availability of a set of tires. Was told by Kevin that they have the tires in stock.
100 miles round trip from home. Left work early.
Dropped off truck. Left cell # with Kevin.
Was told will be ready within the hour.
After an hour, came back to see if it was ready.
As I approached the counter, a different employee asked if my name was Jones . We don't have the tires.
Why didn't you call me?
I just came on shift.
I will not be spending another hard earned dollar at this auto center or retail store.
 16th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes
Well so far all these complaints are based out of the USA. Just wanted everyone out there to know that the same disgraceful service and attitude exists with Sears Canada. I have been waited over 5 weeks for the repair of my ceramic range hood. I accidently dropped a spice jar and cracked the top of the range top. Called as soon as it happened and I am still waiting for service to show up. They were suppose to show twice already but each time it is a no show and nobody calls to advise. The one time after 4 weeks the service man showed up, he brought the wrong part!!!... After many calls of complaint and trying to speak with someone in charge other than those that answer the phone, I have been out of luck. I have now tried to resort to the MAYTAG dealer close to home, because after all since I cracked the top, Sears will not cover it under warranty. Left without a range top to use, I sit here frustrated that Sears has lost all sight of what customer service is.
Toronto Canada has gone unscathed from the lack of service that Sears once was reputed as being one of the best department stores to deal with.
 17th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes
I have not been a customer of sears in years because of their poor customer service attitude. Today I decided to try Sears again but could not easily get past their voice recognition system. I ended up being bounced around for over an hour. These are the things I rediscovered about Sears customer service. If you can not resolve an issue with the store you are instructed to call their national call center. There they demand your personal information before they will take a complaint. after you tell them they will always say they have to send this complaint back to the store to be resolved. They do not have a corporate office that is accountable to their customers. Their district and regional managers to not work out of an office. Their full names are kept secret and they do not use voice mail. Sears will continue to keep this ex customer and probably many others away from their stores if they keep resisting to learn from their past mistakes.
 3rd of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
I have the Oasis it has put holes in my clothes. I can not even tell how much clothing have been ruined. Sears has come four times. They replaced the agitator and noone could tell me why I have holes in my clothes. They are not standing by their contract. I have an agreement with them which is running out Nov. 15 I am not going to renew it . Any thoughts on this.
 4th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
Since my earliest recollection, the word “appliance" to my family was synonymous with “Kenmore". That is until recently. We have had the absolute worst consumer experience ever with Sears, and the situation is still ongoing. In late August, we went shopping to replace a Kenmore Dishwasher (that had lasted for 14 years). We visited the Sears in Clackamas, Oregon. A salesman named Roger sold us what was reported to be a “Consumer's Report Best Buy" Dishwasher. Upon delivery and installation we discovered that we had to remove a section of flooring (due to a recent remodel/floor build up) to accommodate the new appliance.

After the installer left, we noticed a large puddle of water in front of the Dishwasher when we ran it. We called the installer, who came back and found that the door had a faulty lower seal. We called Sears and asked for an exchange. We had put a lot of money on our credit card and wanted a Dishwasher that worked. They arranged to have another Dishwasher delivered (same model) and they picked up the defective one.

As the installer unpackaged the new one, and began to install it, he pointed out that that the new Dishwasher had a noticeable dent in the front door panel. We also noticed that the door was “sprung" and did not line up. Outraged, we went back to the Clackamas Sears store. We spoke with the original salesman (Roger) and an Operations Manager named Andrew.

We asked for our credit charges to be dropped, and to have someone pick up the damaged Dishwasher. We were finished with Sears, and ready to go down the street to Home Depot or Lowe's. However, the smooth talking salesman Roger pleaded (mainly to my wife) to let Sears have “one more chance to earn back our business". He offered a “discount", a gift card, and a “better" model. Reluctantly we agreed. This model still ended up costing $100 more on our credit card.

The third Dishwasher was delivered and installed. It was now mid-October. We ran the Dishwasher for about a week, and decided it was working sufficiently. We replaced the kitchen flooring. The day after the floor went in, we went to run the Dishwasher, and found that it was not working and the display panel was blank. We tested the circuit breaker and the supply wiring, and found that power was going to the appliance.

Very frustrated and upset now, we called the repair division of Sears to get a service technician out (since the kitchen floor had been replaced). We were told that it would be up to ten days before they could get anyone out, and this would be diagnostics. If a part needed ordering, it could be up to two additional weeks. This was unacceptable.

To make a long ordeal short, we talked to the store again, and there was now a definite reluctance to talk to us now. We have talked to Sears Source One multiple times and we have discussed our case with the Sears Customer Complaint Line.

We have decided, NO MORE SEARS. We have now pleaded with several divisions of Sears to please... COME PICK UP YOUR DEFECTIVE DISHWASHER, and TAKE THE CHARGES OFF OF OUR CREDIT CARD (and no restocking fee). We have re-ripped up our kitchen floor again to have this Dishwasher removed. WE WANT TO GO BUY A WORKING DISHWASHER FROM ANOTHER RETAILER.

There have been promises of “well get back with you tomorrow"... and no return call. Sears Source One told us they would get someone out early in the week. No one came. It's now NOVEMBER.

We are at the end of our rope. Sears (in its current organization) is a mess. The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. They are out-sourced and subcontracted to the hilt. There is no one in this organization (not even management) that can pick up the phone and actually make something happen expediently for a very disgruntled customer. Unfortunately, if Sears continues like this, their future is bleak. We will not be returning to Sears. This is the absolute worst customer “service" experience.
 6th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes

Sears - charge and no repair
Florida Mall
Phone: 1 800 469 4663

I get an appointment with this company for Nov 1/08, and I ask service for repair or maintenance. They told me they 're going to ask me $110.00 for estimate but this amount was no charge if they repair and I'll be pay only repair, but that's no true. They sent to my home someone " to repair". He told me i have to pay this a amount + repair + part + more time he needs to change he told me i have to pay plus of $600.00 and this amount was not sure .
I explained him when i called i have to explain was wrong and they told me "doesn't a big problem I know what it's . you aren't pay so much" In fact I think they known what was the problem because he had with him the part that he needed to repair, but he wanted only take my money and don't passe more time for repair. It was the reason he asked a lot money and decouraged, me to repair. I asked to him give maintenance but He didn't want to give it and showed him the catalogue where it' s describe it's necessary. Nothing I did changed his mind
He ask me to pay $117.00 with any question
I called to sears i make an complaint but never received any explanation . I think they use to practice this dishonest way to pick up money from people
 25th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes

Sears M - Delivery

I ordered a pool table and delivery was confirmed for delivery between 5.15pm and 7.15 pm...when no-one showed up by 8pm i phoned delivery dept...they told me the table was too heavy for one person and it had been re-scheduled...I understand that, but no phone call no nothing...I sat and waited for nothing when there was other things to be done..I will never shop sears again and also the other 1500 bucks I spent the day before I returned for refund...I was so peed of ...You have lost me sears...no goods, car repairs, tires nooooooo nothing...ohh almost forgot...thanks for nothing
 1st of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes

Sears - Part not available

I purchased a plasma tv from Sears in Januray of 07. This was a floor model and the salesperson told me that I should buy the extended warranty since the bulb life had been shortened because it was on everyday for God knows how long. I did purchase the warranty and wouldn't you know it the bulb burned out 2 weeks ago. When I called to order the bulb the rep told me it would be three days to receive it. On the eveningof the third day I did not receive the bulb. I called to follow uo and this rep told me that the part was on back order and they couldn't tell me when it would be in. I asked to speak to a manager. When the manager got on the phone, he told me there must have been some mistake because they don't have parts on back order. He put me on hold to check the status. Sure enough, th epart was on back order and gave me a ship date of 11/29/08. He said that he has been a manager there for over 10 years and this is the first time he has come across a part having to back ordered. I was pissed because they didn't tell me this from the beginning. This is the last time I will buy anything from Sears.
 6th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes

Sears - refused to repair leak[that they caused] until next day
Saint Paul

I called Sears technician to replace broken icemaker. Soon after he left, my kids noticed it was leaking. Water was pouring out steadily onto my new hardwood floor. I quickly called 1-800-4my-home and told the dispatcher to get the tech back out here to fix/stop the leak. The dispatcher, in very broken English told me it might take an hour, but that he would contact him and have him return my call asap. I spent an hour using ten rolls of paper towels to keep my new floor from being water damaged, which was hard to do from my wheelchair. I had to call again and dispatcher gave me the same song and dance..'blah blah, might take an hour, blah..' In the end, the tech NEVER came. After five hrs of soaking up running water I was exhausted. I finally called customer relations[Texas] and they were not helpful at all, telling me that business hours are over and that I would have to wait until the next day.[!!?]

I thought is was some cruel joke and reacted as such. Then the cust. relations guy had the audacity to ask why I was so upset. Huh? He did not get it, did not care. Calling an after-hours plumber to fix their mess would have been costly-out of my pocket. He couldn't promise reimbursement. I was outta luck!

Don't call 1-800-4my-home. The dispatchers are outsourced in other countries and don't care if your house floods.

I am FINISHED with Sears.

Never again
 19th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
I called Sears to repair my Kenmore refrigerator. We waited a couple of days, and then the guy charged us $593 for the repair. The 20 minutes of labor cost $251! When I called and complained, I jokingly said, "I didn't know technicians made $750 an hour now, " the woman was very snide, and said they are paid "by the job." Well, I won't be paying for another one, or buying another crummy Kenmore appliance either. They'll probably be the next company to ask for a government handout, because their customer service is beyond lousy.
 26th of Dec, 2008 by    -1 Votes
sears bloomingdale il. statford i got there @ 12;00 for great 6 a.m. 6 hr. sale they would not extend sale for 10 minutes, thats a good way to do bussiness in these bad retail times !!! good luck when you guys file B.k!!!
 30th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes

Sears Gold Masercard - sears mastercard
sears gold mastercard

i had a lots of trouble with sears mastercard i call them about my bill i still get charges on my creditcard no help from them at all when this first started i call them everybody lie to me and me i have credit your bill then i closed it out and they send me a bill i said i closed this out they did not resolve my bill so do not get a credit card with sears they will lie to you
 2nd of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes

Sears Credit - Very poor service and records
Sears Holding Corp

I called their automated line to make sure my account was still active as i hadn't used it since 2003. It was, but my credit limit was reduced by 3/4th of what it was originally. I thought it was strange, but had heard that some companies did that last year, so i got on to speak with a customer service agent. The first girl i talked to was nice, she told me that there was nothing she could see but could transefer me to a credit specialist that could look this information up. This gentleman was a real winner. He told me that my account has always had that balance and there was absolutely nothing that he could do about it. I know this was not true because when i had opened my account i had a much higher limit and bought 1 item that was almost $500 more than the current limit. We went back and forth for a bit, till i got fed up with the nonsense and asked to speak with a supervisor. He said that he was a supervisor... We go back and forth again for a bit and i can't take it anymore. I had him cancell the card on the spot and asked to speak to the complaint department. He said that he would transfer me to a supervisor then... The lady that answered on the other end sounded nice, so i asked the enevitable question burning a hole in my head, "Are you a supervisor? Yes. Was the last gentleman that i spoke to a supervisor? No." So this idiot that i spoke with in their credit department was not a supervisor, he blantently lied to me about that, now i wanted to know what else he lied to me about. I come to find out that their records show NO INFORMATION PAST 2006! So no they don't know why my credit was reduced, and there isn't anything that they could do about my old credit limit, even though i was never late and always paid off the balance!!!
 8th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes

Nordictrack - A2105 - Keeps cutting off
4392 daphne lane unit b
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
Phone: 843-457-4109

My norditrack a2105 keeps cutting off while using.
 28th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes

Sears - Haven't received a refrigerator paid in full

Mr. Johnson,
I purchased a refrigerator from the local Sears store and paid in full at time of purchase on 01/10/2009. I have yet to receive my refrigerator. I have been notified 2 times that it would be deliveried in a 4 hour span at my vacant remodeled house where I have to wait outside in the cold and no one ever showed up or had the courtsey to call and notify me that to this date 01/28/09 the refrigerator has not come in. I also purchased a microwave and a dishwasher on the same day as the refrigerator that was deliveried on a different day. The microwave was the wrong color and had to be returned. I went to the store that day and they gave me an upgrade because that had it in the right color in the warehouse.
Would you please check on this matter and let me know what I can do to get my paid for refrigerator?
Anne Berlin
4711 Westgarden Blvd
Alexandria, Louisiana 71303
 30th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
Seems to be the newest scam by credit card companies. The arbitrarily skip sending a statement in the hopes that the consumer will not remember that they used the charge card. Then they hit you with the outrageous late fee. Most companies will negate the penalty if you call them on it but not Sears Citibank, despite years of payment in full each month.
 19th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
After waiting the four hour window for a dishwasher repair tech to arrive. I called and had to ask for a supervisor before I got the answer I wanted. The tech called me and said he was 30 minutes away. 1 hour later he showed up and sat talking on his cell in the van. After 10 minutes I tapped his van window and asked him how much longer he would be - he told be he didn't know he was busy on the telephone.
I canceled the order and found a reliable company.
Never again would I call Sears and it is my sincere hope that with the bad economy we finally get rid of this company.
 19th of Feb, 2009 by    +1 Votes