logo

Choice Home Warranty
Non payment for repairs
2. (3 mins ago)
Choice Home Warranty
Fraud, failure to pay, lying
3. (10 mins ago)

Carrier AC and service

Sears
Austin, Texas
Never purchase a Carrier Infinity AC system from Sears

In April 2008 I spent $13, 600 for a Carrier Infinity air conditioning system for my home. The Sears salesman did the analysis of my home and recommended several systems. We replaced the AC unit, furnace, duct works and thermostat (we were told we needed to replace the thermostat since Carrier required a special computerized version. Cost $1500). He also recommended the new Puron units as the old refrigerant was not be manufactured any longer and all units soon would need to convert over to the new Puron refrigerant.

From day one the bad experience began. The installer showed up with his beat up truck and horse trailer, ripped out the entire unit and then stopped work. He told me he was unable to continue because Sears had not paid him for some of the work that was needed. A return air duct was not included in the price, even though he had it with him. After a long discussion with Sears I agreed to pay ½, about $335.00 my cost. I am sure I paid the entire thing and the local office jacked the cost up to appear I received a discount. After all, it is just a large flex tube.

With the unit installed the buba installer left. Within a short time the unit was not cooling. Buba had to come back out, check it out and make some adjustments. We went along for a while but the house never cooled that summer. I called and complained, and Sears sent buba back out. He says there is nothing wrong with the system. ‘Then why wont it cool’ I ask. His response is the new Puron used doesn’t cool like the old stuff. I added a large amount of installation to the attic in the hopes to keep the house cooler during the heat of the summer since the new Sears AC unit wasn’t doing it.

For the regular schedule maintenance I called Sears to come out and check out the system. The Service tech shows up and tells me that they had had a class on these Carrier units last February and basically they are not supposed to touch them. How wonderful, I thought then what is this expensive MTA contract I have actually for? He was not able to check the Puron levels as he needed more time allocated and would not be able to do it. I would need to call and schedule another appointment. I was stunned that not only did the technician not have the proper training, that he could only look at the system and confirm that it was there. That was the extent of his “Service”.

The units cools somewhat, but not what I would expect. The “cost savings” advertised by the Sears salesman are a farce, and now Sears (at least in the Austin, San Antonio region) have no training on how to support the products and warranties they sell. This has been a $13, 000 rip-off since day one.

Over the weekend the unit displayed a ‘System Malfunction’ message on the $1500 thermostat and then promptly shut down. I called Sears for a repair and will need to wait 5 days. They have scheduled a 2 hour window. Lucky me. I am now at this point trying to reach them to come earlier and to set a larger window so the lackluster trained tech can maybe figure out what the issue is.

If I get the same run around I plan to hire a certified Carrier technician myself, get them to tell me that the issue is and then promptly sue Sears.

The bottom line here is NEVER BUY A AIR CONDITIONER FROM SEARS AS THEY ARE OVER PRICED AND THEY ARE INCAPABLE TO SUPPORTING IT ONCE IT IS INSTALLED. Call someone local to you and deal with them as you will probably get a much better deal and service. Don’t be a victim of Sears
Comments United States Appliances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Chinese Nuke Scam