Lowes

15350 Hall Road
Clinton Township, Michigan
Phone: 1-586-416-2534
lowes.com
I was a lowes seasonal employee. I worked everyday and busted my back for them in hopes that I would be able to stay after the seasonal period was over. I was told many things when I was in my training. I was told I would be making 10.46 an hour and that I was going to be scheduled monday thru friday 4am to 1 pm everyday as an AM stocker. I get my first check and I was only getting paid 10.42 an hour which isnt alot but its not what they said they were going to pay me. Then they switched my schedule. First to 6am to 2pm everyday then back to 4am to 1pm then all of the sudden i was on 6am to 1pm. Then they dropped me to 4am to 9am. They also told me that I would be working from April 23- August 10th 2010. Then I come in on a June 10th and they tell me that their sorry but they are going to have to let me go because they cant to afford to pay payroll. so instead of knowing when im getting let go and being able to find another job they let me go in the middle of the week so I have to lose my apartment and not know what to do. Lowes is horrible and no one should shop there!
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Job & Career
Was the above complaint useful?

Comments

27th of Jun, 2010 by    +2 Votes
Seasonal means temporary. They can change your hours because hours and days changed frequently. Depending on Corporate, and how the economy affects their business. Corporate passes that information down to all the other chains of the stores so they can post different prices regarding price discounts, or whatever else is affecting their business.

You were getting 10.42. That's practically 10.50, so tell me whats 4 cent's really matter. If you were getting 35 to 40 hours what was the problem? Could you not save 100 dollars back out of your checks instead of whatever you were doing with it. Just in case of an Emergency. You should have told Lowes I understand my job is seasonal. But I am going to be looking for other employment so if you let me go I won't be out of a job struggling to pay my bills.

Go work for Home Depot. You've got some experience. If they are not hiring. Go some where else. Don't blame Lowes because they were making job cuts, and you were one of the people who were let go.
 29th of Aug, 2010 by    -2 Votes
I worked for Lowes as seasonal and let me tell you, I was never late, never called out and they kept a person who was seasonal as permanent and that person would come in late and leave their register to talk to other employees. I was also lied to by HR stating that they hold reviews after 90 days when I first got hired and then 4 months down the road HR told me they told hold reviews. I know from the person who got hired permanently after being a seasonal employee got a reviews. They lie and lie and they play favorites. The schedule is constantly fluctuating and it's not all about cut back and budgets it's about them being deceitful and sneaky. Head cashiers don't want to get on registers when it's packed unless the store manager is around. One of the employees their who was all ready permanent for a about a year in a half who constantly shut her light off on her register and walk around, go to the break room and slack off and guess what I complained and I got relaliated against. Guess what, word has it that cashier knows the DM personally. So their you go for Lowes.
 31st of Aug, 2010 by    +1 Votes
This mostly goes for Cindy Bradford:

If you feel you were treated unfairly or you wish to lodge a complaint but feel that doing so within the Lowe's company might create retaliation then you should complain through Lowe's EthicsPoint at:
or call 800-784-9592

Either way...stop bitching online and showing everyone what a team player you aren't capable of being. It's no wonder you weren't hired on as a regular employee. If the situation you described is 100% true why would you want to work there? Grow up and move on!
 23rd of May, 2012 by    0 Votes
The Store Manager is able to receive a full years salary if he can make budget.The only controllable expense they have is payroll.So hours are cut, employees are asked to cover Dept. they are not familiar with and you are thrown to the wolves. Since you are on the frontline and the Managers are hidden in the offices you take the grief and they are safe.On a busy day you will have five customers screaming at you and you are the bad guy because you are asked to do the work of three people.I love when I am threatened by a customer I am going to Home Depot, like I would give a damn, do you need directions.All jobs have problems, this one more then most.
 25th of Aug, 2013 by    +1 Votes
I worked in several departments over a number of years in the State College PA store. Most fellow coworkers were very decent as were most customers and generally the work was not that bad. By far the number one problem that makes this store extremely difficult to work in is the top manager who has virtually no people skills and zero compassion toward employees. A customer could have said I stood naked on my head and he would honestly believe it. In addition employees are expected to miraculously learn stuff including complex machines and order taking with almost no training. The constant lack of proper staffing is causing so much stress on employees that everyone I know is miserable. One is constantly expected to handle more than one department at a time with 4-6 telephones to handle (a regular wireless phone, a smart phone and a desk landline for each department). So often phones are ringing, customer call bells are going off and live customers needing immediate help are all wanting at the same time causing unbearable stress to employees. Customers will then complain that service is slow or that employees are showing signs of unfriendliness and then employees get written up and even fired as I was. This could be a better place with a DIFFERENT manager - This man R.F. needs to go!
 25th of Aug, 2013 by    +1 Votes
I spent 7 years at Lowe's, and every one of you is right. I loved my job and did it well, but all the complaints you voiced I saw even at my stores, which were excellent. Management considers hourly employees expendable and interchangeable; as a result, there are very few people in any department with expertise. That is the main customer complaint--no one knows what they are doing! Lowe's had a golden opportunity to greatly increase market share over Home Depot during the economic slump; if they kept their knowledgeable staffers while Depot was cutting back, Lowe's would now have the superior reputation for expertise over Home Depot. Instead they cut their most expensive people, who were the most experienced, and now they pay the price. Look what happened to Sears!
 11th of Jan, 2015 by    0 Votes
Tall David:
If an employee is hired in and there is a signed contract to the wage offered at the time of hire, Lowes has an obligation to pay that employee what was agreed upon contractually.
There is no need to lecture someone about not getting the hourly wage that should be legally binding. There is no need to blame someone and treat them like a child because a VERY HUGE AND VERY PROFITABLE national store did not hold up their end of the contract.
That is unethical practice on Lowe's behalf, and the employee should be reimbursed for the hours worked under a wage which was lower than agreed upon at the time of the job offer.

JamesDRob:
It was nice of you to post a link to Cindy Bradford where she might be able to go for further assistance. That was a very professional and adult thing to do.
The rest of your comments were very unprofessional and quite childish. What is the name of this forum? Complaintsboard.com? Sorry. I thought that this meant that persons were allowed to post complaints about things.
Guess you are management, then, for Lowe's?
SUPER COMMUINCATION SKILLS!
 22nd of Apr, 2015 by    0 Votes
I have been at Lowes for over three years and enjoy the job I have there. The problem is no policies have been followed for some, and others have to follow policies, so why are they able to operate like this and get away with it? I have seen and heard different situations regarding vacations and time off for employees. Some get approved and some do not. This is for the same time frame, which is a holiday, that is has happened. So what reason and why this could happening with no reason as to why. We dont have many incentives except vacation and now they want to control that too.
Also when an employee has been there for years, and anniversary date has come and gone and still no review or increase, that is a concern by any means. This is unethical and by law bad practice on HR part.
 28th of Apr, 2015 by    0 Votes
I see so many customer complaints online, and a lot are directed at the employees. Believe me, I understand not every employee is great. But, quite a few times, it's NOT the salesperson who is screwing up your order, or denying your warranty, etc. Most of us bend over backwards to make things right. BUT! This company provides NO training, gives ZERO support at the store level, upper-management doesn't care about you the consumer, nor do they give a *** about the employees. They want your money, and want their workers to work for *** wages, and smile as they toss us under the bus.

You have to understand the reason most of your deliveries are late, is because we have no idea when your product is due to come in. We call the warehouse and they tell us 4-7 days. We can't track anything because we are working with a computer system from the 90's. We are pushed and pushed to sell their Extended Protection Plans, and get people signed up for a Lowe's credit card. Your appliance breaks, we can do NOTHING at the store level! Call the # for the warranty dept., but for *** sake have your receipt! You'll jump through hoops to get anything done. WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING FOR YOU IN THE STORE! Cussing at me, telling me I am incompetent, etc. is not going to help.

If any of us were trained experts in the various depts., we would be working somewhere else. Most of us (myself included) have sought out training on our own time. To try and be better able to help and solve your issues. At some point YOU have to take the initiative and LEARN HOW TO DO A PROJECT ON YOUR OWN!!!

Working here is like being in High School, gossip, favoritism, back-biting, and a general sense that if you aren't a management pet you are not welcome. If you're a guy, you are left to do the heavy lifting and the physical work. Of course 3/4 of the employees are on FMLA for some made up vague "illness". And heaven help you if you discuss anything with HR. They will tell all to the management, who in turn tell their pets, and inside of a week; the entire store knows what you discussed. But, at least after you work there a year, Lowe's throws you a $.15 raise! No commissions. No bonuses...they say you can get one but, they recently changed the qualifying store sales amount to the point where, it's not even a viable option anymore.

But, as long as the CEO makes millions in salary and bonuses, screw the employees! Yeah, at least I have a job. And I'm thankful for that. What do any of you care, as long as you get the cheap *** from China, and get to abuse the employees, hopefully that makes you feel better.
 4th of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
Haha I worked for Lowe's for 7 years and I'm soon happy I don't any more I just go in there to make fun of everyone putting up with this company because like every other company they hire no one so they can rake in all the profit and leave everybody on welfare Lowes is just another greedy corporation like Walmart they care about their own money about their employees that make it for them.
 2nd of Jun, 2015 by    0 Votes
1: Could you please quote me the rules on using personal stereos, boom boxes and using company computers to play loud music after the store closes. The night stocking crew are doing all these things and causing anxiety to some who are disturbed by loud base. Several of us have gone to the person who brings the boom box on the floor and asked person to stop - but it continues. Have asked crew manager, then store manager, but no change yet. Very anxiety producing.

2: Can they listen on ear bud (one) or is that against the rules as well? At least they can hear, and will not be disturbing peace loving, professional attitude workers.

(Using friends e-mail, in order to be)

Anonomous
 2nd of Jun, 2015 by    0 Votes
P.S. The boom box they push out fills the whole cart, and many carry mini (but loud) personal speakers with them. They all listen to reggae-rap with LOUD bass. AND They are not exactly doing a stellar job, which goes back to a lot of the other complaint I see here - they are not trained, they don't have enough people, and because of all these factors, I don't think they realize, by not doing a great job, how hard they make life for the day crew who has to fix the mistakes they make.

Lowes  Logo Lowes