logo

American Income Life Insurance
WIERD
2. (14 mins ago)
Lumosity
Caught trying to take unauthorized funds from my checking account
3. (14 mins ago)
CHIVALRY CATTERY
bad cat breeder
4. (40 mins ago)
Dr. Richard Weiss
Charged for services not received
5. (41 mins ago)
ESPchat
My bank card was charged

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

HGTV Magazine subscription Complaints & Reviews - Never ordered the subscription

HGTV Magazine subscription Contacts & Informations

HGTV Magazine subscription

Posted: 2012-09-20 by    Jules614

Never ordered the subscription

Hearst Magazines
I am also a victim of this scam. I received an email containing my "payment due immediately." When I called the customer service # (800-888-2665), which by the way, they DO NOT provide on their website (gee, I wonder why?!?!) in which their email sent me to pay my "bill" & cancel this unwanted subscription that I NEVER ORDERED, the CSR said when I entered a sweepstakes on the HGTV website, I was automatically enrolled for a subscription! What a SCAM!! I told the lady to cancel this UNSOLICITED subscription IMMEDIATELY, because I WOULD NOT be paying their bill of $18! Ugh! How do these people get away with pulling scams like this?? It's a shame that HGTV doesn't put a stop to scams like this that result just from visiting their website & entering a stupid sweepstakes!! I thought HGTV was a respectable & safe website! WRONG!! I may not EVER go their website again! BEWARE!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

22nd of Feb, 2013 by   Rana01 0 Votes
We also fell into this scam by entering to the HGTV dream home contest through a Linc on to the right side on our Facebook walls and then found out it was a scam to there magazine subscription. We unsubscribe immediately but, we received the magazines anyway. I tried to call customer service # (800-888-2665) from the above post, and all i got was a recording saying that "This is a peek time to call and i should try again later. You will now be disconnected!" (CLICK) This should be an illegal Unsolicited subscription! There was nothing stated anywhere that by entering into this contest, you will be subscribing to there Magazine! The Mags came in the mail today but, as of yet no bill. Stay away from anything advertised on Facebook!
 12th of Mar, 2013 by   Bjwill66 +1 Votes
I too was sent 2 magazine subscriptions-one for my free reg for the Home give away and one for my girlfriend also.They can just keep sending for I will not pay for I didn't order them!! In the trash they go.
 22nd of Mar, 2013 by   LLemont +1 Votes
3/22 at 5pm
I just opened a bill from HGTV Magazine for $18.00. .. This is truly a Scam, I never ordered HGTV Magazine. I called (800) 840-8056 and spoke to customer rep. Mindy. She said she would cancel the subscription and as a courtesy to keep the first issue that is on its way.
I am hoping she is forthright in what she told me.
We will see??
L. Lee
Long Beach CA
 5th of Aug, 2013 by   Beth Clark +1 Votes
I have had the same thing happen to me. I entered a sweepstake, and a few days later I got an email saying that I owed for this magazine that i did not order, nor did I want this. It is very hard to get a hold of any body. If I wanted this I woudl have order this. I do not understand how this company can do this. It seems a bit like bait and swithc to me.
 29th of Aug, 2013 by   diamun +1 Votes
Same thing! I cant remember exactly what it was, must of entered the Sweepstake, and there was a promotion for a FREE MAGAZINE to try to see if we liked it then we could order more issues we wanted. So I gave it a shot...I didn't order anything. The next thing I know I receive a bill! HUH? I hadn't ordered a subscription! So I tossed it. Ive gotten a bunch more, and it angered me. I had thought about ordering it, but because of the way they went about it...I felt I couldn't! As the others have said, no phone number on anything...FLAG!! I think I even looked it up online, and there wasn't a phone number either. What a crock of s**t...then letters starting getting nasty. We sent you a magazine, and now you wont pay for it, or something like that...we have an agreement from you to pay us and you have not. Today I get a notice in the mailbox that looks like a collection notice, demanding payment! No phone number. To me this seems illegal, I think we should all get a lawyer and sue them, any lawyers out there reading this? I wonder if Better Homes and Gardens is the same owner. I have gotten their magazine for a couple of years, love it. Every issue there is a bill on it to renew! Even after I have renewed. This last one, I sent all the bill information BACK to them in envelope provided and wrote across it...I already renewed stop sending this!! "Now the collections notice from Customer Service." What the heck is going on? HGTV will get a VERY BAD name ...don't they care? Its time for BBB folks !!!
 29th of Aug, 2013 by   diamun 0 Votes
FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE RECEIVED BOGUS BILLS ON HGTV MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTIONS: IF YOU ARE RECEVING BILLS AS I DID, EVEN THOUGH YOU DID NOT ORDER HERE IS WHAT I FOUND TO CANCEL FOUND BY YOUR EMAIL

Hopefully, this will help...I just tried it...we shall see!
 4th of Nov, 2013 by   mary maddox 0 Votes
Did not order or receive any magazines. So why am I getting threats or putting it on my credit report.
 11th of Mar, 2014 by   OJE 0 Votes
I also was victim of HGTV mag scam. This link works ! Log in with your address and cancel your subscription. Takes only a few minutes.
 16th of May, 2014 by   RDBL 0 Votes
I agree with much of what is being stated in these comments. I do not understand why such quality companies/magazines stoop to such disgusting, threatening, tactics, and I for one will do everything in my power to share how a once trusted, decent situation where magazines actually had "customer service" and were actually concerned with their image and reputation is now completely ignored and replaced with people like these comments are stating, not to mention all of the people that are duped into believing AND paying for a subscription they may have never ordered! I am fairly certain it is well within "legal" boundaries to do this, and I am (almost) certain that this too, brings in lots of additional dollars that publication of these magazines would not have, but at what cost to the company's reputation...??????— although their reputation was never as important as their bottom line, especially in today's world of "ink on paper" barely existing... This does NOT change the fact that one regularly sees / hears / writes these comments regarding "sketchy" business practices, all in the quest for more profit, regardless of reputation or alienation of people... Too bad... HGTV "was" one of my favorites, until now... hopefully everyone will follow my lead and cancel their subscriptions, and continue to complain about such business practices until something is actually done to fix such a broken situation...
 11th of Jul, 2014 by   Kutztribe 0 Votes
Just received a bill for HGTV magazine which we did not subscribe to. We did receive a copy a couple weeks ago and had no idea why. I called to cancel and the rep said my wife probably "forgot" to uncheck the "Do not send me the magazine" opt-out when she entered a sweepstakes on the HGTV website. Very funny. How do you forget something that you weren't aware of in the first place? Too bad, as she likes the magazine but we won't deal with a company that tricks people into subscribing.
 26th of Jul, 2014 by   The Smith clan 0 Votes
We lived in GA when we entered the HGTV dream home contest. My son started receiving the mag, but said he hadn't ordered it. After we got the bills, + threats, I paid the $18, thinking my son had made the mistake. We became homeless, + had no money, + we moved to CO 5 months ago. Since getting into our new apartment, he received another HGTV mag even though the 1 yr subscription was done. Now he has received 2 bills for $25 for the mag he didn't want. The bills were not forwarded from GA, they had our new Colorado address on them. He DID NOT order another year, + he doesn't want the mag, so this bogus bill will not be paid. They suckered me once, but not this time. I wish I had known it was a scam, they wouldn't have gotten the $18 for the 1st yr.

Avoid Auto Dealer Scams