logo

Latest Questions

Hertz Car Rental Complaints & Reviews - Damage ripoff

Hertz Car Rental Contacts & Informations

Hertz Car Rental

Posted: 2011-03-21 by    say_what??

Damage ripoff

Hertz Austria (Reinhoff Gmbh)
Austria
hertz.at
Rented a car at VIE for a few days and dropped it off early morning before the counter re-opened. A couple of weeks after the rental, I got a letter in the mail with a 1000 euro bill for a 150 euro rental. The reason? A scratch on a front hubcap and some supposed "scratches" on the rear bumper cover. The hubcap scratch was undocumented (but I did bump a curb one time while parking, so it's possible that there was a ding that I didn't notice... they charged me 20 euros for the hubcap... whatever... no big deal and just not worth complaining about - it's Austria, land of nickel-and-diming). My big complaint is the 730 euros they billed me for repainting the back bumper. The "documentation" they sent me shows a reflection of the guy taking pictures and a bunch of stick-on arrows pointing to "scratches" on the top of the bumper cover. If you look really hard, there's what looks like a scuff mark (maybe someone in my party pulled a suitcase out of the hatchback and it rubbed over the paint???? Maybe someone walked by in the parking lot and tied a shoe using the bumper as a footstool after I dropped the car off?) that could likely have been removed with cleaner wax. Instead, they chose to get a body shop quote and bill me for a repaint. If I'd noticed, I'd probably have gotten some wax and rubbed it on the bumper to make the "scratches" disappear... it is, after all Austria... there's a fill mark on drink glasses, and restaurant minimum napkin size and absorbency is legislated for a reason. (I'm Austrian, not just a whiny tourist)

Bottom line: see for yourself if you think this is worth 700+ euros without a hint of documentation that any work was even done on the car???!!! (note that the big dark thing in the middle of the photos is the guy with the camera... not what they're actually photographing). Judge for yourself, then decide whether or not you want to give these people your business.

I was an exclusive Hertz renter for roughly 15 years and have rented from Hertz AT before... I have one word for them now: Goodbye! Avis, I'm back... Sixt, I'm coming...
Comments Austria Car Rental
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Oct, 2012 by   PavelN 0 Votes
When returning the car I have experienced a similar claim for a damage to 2 wheel trims. I refused to accept it and have seen the car again with the manager. I was then told that everything is ok and I do not have to pay anything. Two weeks after I have received an invoice with a DAMAGE 50 euro(+tax). I am claiming a refund. Do not trust this group of crooks ! Take pictures and do not leave the office without signed final invoice. Paul (Australia).

ATM Fraud Costs One Man 24000$