logo

Aimco Apartments
Getting Out
4. (33 mins ago)
Toyo International Group
led lights are dim and they rust in the sockets, they are marked indoor/outdoor
5. (42 mins ago)
Liberty Tax Service
Bad business practices

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Citizens Automobile Finance, Providence, Rhode Island Complaints & Reviews - Citizens Changes Monthly Loan Amount

Citizens Automobile Finance Contacts & Informations

Citizens Automobile Finance

Posted:    Doey

Citizens Changes Monthly Loan Amount

Citizens Automobile Finance
Providence, Rhode Island
INFORMATION AMOUNT MY COMPLAINT:

- Feb. 2007: Financed a 2007 Dodge Caliber through Citizens Automobile Finance in my name only.

- Signed loan paperwork for financing; monthly payments of $262.04 per month for term of loan.

- Sep. 2007: Deployed to Afghanistan for 9 months; made monthly payments (on time) in excess of monthly loan amount.

- In order to stop mailing checks from Afghanistan to Citizens, sent Citizens a memorandum requesting "Automatic Payments" be set-up in the amount of $500.00 per month. After receiving paperwork from Citizens, filling it out, and returning request, "Automatic Payments" started; $500.00.

- "Automatic Payments" continued until I called to cancel. Automatic payments stopped.

- Due to the amount I was sending Citizens, either via mail or automatically (when it started), loan was in good standing until May 2009. Did not send Citizens any payments after cancelling "Automatic Payment" option.

- Dec. 2008: My divorce was finalized and ex-spouse was awarded automobile (2007 Dodge Caliber). However, she was now responsible for monthly payments, insurance, maintence of the automobile. Judge DID NOT order her to refinance car in her name.

- Dec. 2008; Day after finalized divorce, called Citizens to have all payment vouchers for loan sent to ex-spouse. Explained to Citizens she would now be making the monthly payments; starting in May 2009 when next payment was due. Also stated to have any and all banking information (my "Automatic Payment" information, billing statemnets, etc... removed and stopped), the onlyreference I wanted with my name is the individual responsible for the loan; the one who signed the loan contract. She (my ex-spouse) will now be making the loan payments.

- Apr./May 2009: Ex-spouse sent check to Citizens in the amount of $262.04 to satisfy loan payment for May 2009. However, my checking was also debited +$400.00 by Citizens in the beginning of May 2009.

- May 30th, 2009: Phoned Citizens to find-out what happened and why my checking account was debited and why +$400.00. Explained to Citizens that my ex-spouse will be the one making payments from now on (as I explained to Citizens in Dec. 2008); which she did the end of April. Also asked why the amount debited was +$400.00.

- Citizens stated, based on my request via the memorandum I sent months ago (to have the "Automatic Payments" set-up to be $500.00 month) my NEW monthly loan payments were now $500.00, not the original, signed, legal loan contract amount of $262.04 per month.

- Citizens stated I needed to send a signed memorandum stating I wanted to change amount back to $262.04. After going around in circles trying to get an answer on how Citizens can change the original loan amount frrom $262.04 to $500.00, they said I asked to do so based on my memorandum I sent months ago.

- Again, I tried to explained to the Citizens representative that the memorandum I sent months ago was for the "Automatic Payment" amount I wanted to send ($500.00) and NOT to "rewrite" the loan agreement and original loan amount (262.04). Got no where with the 2 representatives I spoke with.

- Jun. 1st, 2009: I typed memorandum requesting I wanted my monthly payments to be $262.04, NOT $500.00 and faxed to Citizens.

- June. 19th, 2009: Phoned Citizens to see if the monthly amount was corrected from $500.00 to $262.04, it WAS NOT. I faxed the memorandum again.

- July 16th, 2009: Received late notice in mail from Citizens stating I still owe $237.96. I phoned Citizens to find-out what was going on.

- "Matt, " stated he didn't know what I was talking about. He than proceeded to say Citizens would waive the $20 late fee if I would pay what I owed now. I requested to be transfered to a Customer Service manager. "Matt" stated that since I was late, the called would be "re-routed" back to collections section. I hung-up and called customer service myself; I got through.

- "Tom, " customer service manager, stated the amount was changed, however it would not take affect until Aug. 2009. Again, I tried to get an answer on how Citizens could change the monthly loan amount from $262.04 to $500.00. He too explained that it was done based on the memorandum requesting "Automatic Payments" to be set-up in the amount of $500.00 a month.

- "Tom" is attempting to get Citizens to make the original loan amount of $262.04 effective 1 July 2009, not Aug. 2009. This will put my account in "good standing" and not -$237.96. Therefore, the next payment would be due in Aug. 2009.

In conclusion, I still do NOT understand how Citizens Automobile Finance can change a customers loan amount (which was listed in the signed loan contract). If a customer requests to send more towards their loan, via "Automatic Payments, " he or she should be able to do so; which I did. However, once the automatic payments are stopped (which I did), the amount due should be the original amount depicted on the loan contract... NOT WHAT WAS REQUESTED ON AN "AUTOMATIC PAYMENT" BY A CUSTOMER.
Comments United States Auto Insurance & Loan
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Jul, 2009 by   logbldrjustice 0 Votes
Motion the court to specify the terms of the automobile loan. You may write for a 'clarification' to the court, which usually does not require a new hearing.

It's probably worth just a letter (certified) and MAKE SURE YOU SEND CERTIFIED, RECEIPT REQUESTED COPIES TO YOUR EX-WIFE FOR EVERYTHING! you may still have to have her served by a process server, but the judge may simply write the clarification.
The new portion of the order goes to loan company.

If you are military, see the legal assistance department. They love these cases, as it's an easy win and make them look good.

I would also write the State offices that handle these- in IL, it's the Attorney General. In WI, it's the division of banking and financial institutions... each state is different.
 9th of Aug, 2009 by   VIrvin0807 0 Votes
As someone who lives in a state (Missouri) where no one is familiar with this company, I would recommend that NO ONE use this company! I stumbled across this company while buying my first car. They gave me a great percentage rate at the time: 5.54%! I have had nothing but problems with these folks ever since. They claim to mail my bill out on the 16th of every month though I never receive it until the 23rd. If I write the check out and send it back on the 23rd, it doesn't get debited from my account until the day it's due (the 6th of the next month). I call to find out why it takes them so long, so they blame it on the Federal Reserve or some ridiculous nonsense like that. I live in Missouri...not Iraq!

I went on vacation this last month. It hadn't arrived before I left. When I got back, I KNEW it would be late if I sent it via mail. I tried to make a payment over the phone. This place wanted to charge me $12.50 to do all the work myself over the phone! So, I tried the internet. Oh, that'll be $12.50 as well! If you want an actual person to process your payment by phone (y'know, someone that can steal your credit card information and take you to the cleaners), it'll cost you $20.00!!! I called to speak to a manager to see if the fee would be waived based on the circumstance. After acknowleding that my payments had all been made early or on time while I had been with them, the manager refused to waive the fee for payment. At this point, I was mad enough to switch my lender.

I called to have a payoff faxed to me. If you need a faxed payoff (as most other banks require that), it will cost you $25.00! This whole nickel and diming your customers to death is just ridiculous! I have never dealt with anything this ridiculous in my entire life! During a time where banks aren't doing so well, you think they'd want to hang onto every customer as long as they possibly could, not piss them off so they switch lenders. I hope my $18, 213.44 was worth the hassle I got over a $12.50 fee for paying over the phone or via internet (which saves them TIME and MONEY).

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! THE FEES ARE RIDICULOUS!!! I will tell everyone I know and every website I can of my horrific experience with these people!
 30th of Jan, 2010 by   sararunfast 0 Votes
Citizens Auto Finance seems to be a bogus company (or one made up of incredibly stupid people). They have NO IDEA about banking, about loans and how they work, OR about how payments are to be applied. Add to that the fact that payments are applied randomly and inaccurately (if at all) and they cannot issue a statement showing how payments were applied and it really does make one wonder if this is a banking institution or some fly-by-night backyard lender that's found a gig that works for him.

If you're using them (I only fell into this because the auto dealer chose them), get your loan refinanced as soon as possible by a REAL bank. Walk, no, RUN away as fast as you can.
 30th of Jan, 2010 by   sararunfast 0 Votes
yep.
 9th of Feb, 2010 by   momoluvs78 0 Votes
well i have had only one problem with them b/c i had been asking for months for an automatic debit form. i asked over the phone several times. each time they would say it was sent but it wasnt. i sent letters and faxes several times. i even gave them my bank info in a letter and signed and still nothing. i even asked to speak to a sup on a few different occasions and still nothing then finally i asked for a manager and i got it after a year of asking. But anyway..

---the original post... i am on the side of the company here. if you send a company, and this is any company, a letter in writing with you signature asking to have a payment debited from your account this will increase your monthly payment to the amount you are requesting be debited. The reason is because most places, the auto debit the system automatically reads and withdraws the monthly payment amount due and doesnt read that you want to pay something different than the monthly payment amount. so when you send a letter saying you want auto debit to take this certain amount you are changing the terms of your contract. they should be able to put it back if you request but you should understand that you requested to have your terms changed. and i know this because i work for a loan company.
 17th of Feb, 2010 by   Anthony frank 0 Votes
I had nothing but the run around when i tried to pay off my truck loan. After several call trying to find out where my certified check went they couldn't tell me where it went. After a process i found out they sent the check back, why? because it was to much money and they didn't want to send a refund check back. This process was the most complicated if you have a loan with them Run!
 23rd of Feb, 2010 by   WV_guy +2 Votes
I have a loan with them for my truck and we got a bit behind because of deaths in the family. We have always been making payments each month and we fell 2 months behind because of the family problems. We explained to them on the phone when they called asking when we would make the payment, and they noted it on the account. Then on valentines day at 4pm they repossessed the truck. We live in west virginia and they made an illegal repossession by not sending the REQUIRED "notice of right to cure default" letter 10 days prior to any action (ie: repo). Then the repo company made me pay $55 to pick up my own belongnings!!! which my lawyer says is another violation of the law (fair and reasonable fees). Then when we contacted citizens on the day it was repossessed, the rep we talked to was VERY rude and talked down to us like we were criminals. He said something like "have you ever seen the repossession tv shows? we can take it whenever we want" I asked why they had not notified me prior to the repo and all he said was "You do know you are 2 months behind right?" Unbelieveable attitude. After it was all said and done we had to bring the account current (1400.00) and pay yet ANOTHER fee to the repo agency for storage fees and 55.00 admin fee to pick the truck up. WTF???? They got their fee in the over 400.00 repo fee we had to pay the bank along with the 2 back payments. I am in the process of pursuing this with the courts for illegal repossession and unlawful fees. The lawyer said both cases were slam dunks.

STAY AWAY from Citizens. even if you have to walk!
 26th of Feb, 2010 by   Christopher Patrick +1 Votes
I have been dealing with these bozos for about 2.5years now and am getting totally fed up with their system. My major complaint is with their collection system! I could send my check out a week before it is due and without fail i start getting the call from them on the due date asking where my payment was. Now once maybe twice i could see the USPS making a mistake causing it to be late...but every time COME ON... They then call me to see where my payment is...i tell them Ive sent it a week ago and it has to be around their office somewhere...they look but of course they cant find it...THEN they call me the very next day to which i reply the exact same thing...I sent it, you should have it... It is really frustrating because on top of making my payment i have to pay late fees...I suppose that is my fault because I don't send it certified mail...but on the other hand my other vehicle is financed through Chrysler Financial (excellent company) and I never NEVER in 5 years had a problem with them...THESE GUYS DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING

Also Ive been asking for 2 years to have my wife added to be an authorized user on my account...STILL WAITING FOR THE PAPERWORK!!!...It must be in the same pile of paper that my payment gets lost in every month
 9th of Mar, 2010 by   kaswec 0 Votes
I also had a vehicle repossessed from Citizens and it was a total nightmare. I never received a notice of repossession or a warning. I was making an attempt to pay, I just wasn't making the full payment for 2 months. They didn't care. I know that it was my own fault and I was pleasant with them. I told them that I had EVERY intention of getting my vehicle back but it would take a week to ten days to come up with the money. They told me that I had 21 days and hung up on me. They towed my car on a weekend and moved it to an auction lot 2 days later. TWO DAYS LATER!!! ... after I assured them that I was going to redeem the vehicle. After having to pay them $2000 for back payments, late fees, towing, repo fees etc... I had to have someone drive me to the auction lot to pick it up which happened to be out of state and 5 1/2 hours away !!! I had to pay the people at the auction another $15o when I got there.
Citizens talked to me like I was a criminal and would not answer my questions or even talk or discuss the whole situation with me. Just "Give us money".
I did deal with my local branch of Citizens Bank for part of the process and they were very helpful and understanding but I will NEVER deal with this business again.
 8th of Apr, 2010 by   2disgusted2010 0 Votes
I didn't have any problems up until I messed up on my online banking and sent my mortgage payment to Citizens - via electronic payment - instead of my regular car payment. I called them as soon as I realized my error and was told by the woman that answered the phone that she could see it was an electronic payment and they could get a check back out to me for the difference from what I usually pay and what I overpaid. I was told the check would take about a week. Well, 2 weeks later, no check. I called back and spoke with a woman who told me there were no such notes on my account and I still had a balance why would they send me any money back. I explained the situation again and by some miracle she found the note that said it should be sent back to me. However, 2 days after I had called the 1st time there was a note put on my account that stated I would have to prove that the payment cleared my bank or they wouldn't send me my money back. Of course I received no phone call about this verification they decided they needed after the 1st woman told me she could see it was an automatic debit payment. Now they have had my money for well over a month and are still telling me they need proof the payment cleared my bank. REALLY??!! They are now stating there is no way for them to know if a payment is electronic or just a check. I find that very hard to believe since I work in a business that gets payments and all payments are identified as to if they are a check or ach payment. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told they had no way of knowing if my payment cleared my bank. After over a month???!!! Obviously I will have to jump through their hoops to get my money back but I will be refinancing my vehicle or paying it off and NEVER doing business with this company again.
 16th of Apr, 2010 by   bratty2day 0 Votes
Had a vehicle financed with Citizen and traded the vehicle off and the new company paid it off.At the end of the month they automatic debited the payment for that vehicle even though it was paid off.When I checked my account I found out they had debited my account and called, I was told I had to send tem via fax Proof the bank had paid that from my account and then they would cut a refund check for the amount over billed.
Two weeks went by when I called I was told the check was cut on the 1st of the month and should be i n the mail any day.After 14 days I called again and was told they had had some flooding and some of the offices had been closed but keep watching the mail and if it didnt come in in 3 business days to call back.I waited 3 days and customer service said after arguing with them that they would have to cancel that check and send out another and that I could check that status in 3 business days.I told them they needed to send that check by next day and she said she would request it be sent Federal express.We will see what happens next, but there should be some governing body somewhere that can take care of these people.I will keep looking
 7th of Jun, 2010 by   Disgusted 51 0 Votes
You can not even take a vacation with this loan. They told me that they mail statement 20 days before due date, but it takes up to 12 days to arrive. You have to write a check that day and send it back. They do this on purpose whereas this is where they make there big profit. Online banking they charge a fee. They are pros at stealing. The Republicans let them steal and the Democrats will not stop the theif's. Where does the middle class turn? Brad
 14th of Jun, 2010 by   gol4rgirl 0 Votes
There is not enough time, paper, space, etc.. for the crap they have put me through in the last 2 years and it just keeps getting worse. The latest being that I put in a change of address and of course did not get my statement (nothing unusual) but when I told them I wanted to make a payment over the phone (since my payment is due in 7 days) and not be charged the "telephone fee" - he told me NO.

THIS COMPANY SUCKS. THEY CAN’T INPUT A CHANGE OF ADDRESS, THEIR STATEMENTS ARE JUST A “COURTESY” AND THEY DON’T HAVE TO SEND THEM OUT BUT BY GOD YOUR PAYMENT BETTER BE IN ON TIME OR YOU’LL BE CHARGED. I ASKED FOR THE “MANAGERS” FULL NAME TO WHOM I WAS SPEAKING AND HE TOLD ME HE DIDN’T HAVE TO GIVE IT TO ME AND THAT HE WASN’T GOING TO GIVE IT TO ME. I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS EVER SINCE I BOUGHT THIS CAR. THEY HAVE MADE THIS AN EXPERIENCE FROM HELL. I POST EVERWHERE I CAN HOW THEY SUCK AS A BUSINESS AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE (OH I’M SORRY – THEY DON’T HAVE CUSTOMER SERVICE). I’VE SEEN A MILLION POSTINGS FROM OTHERS ABOUT ALL THE PROBLEMS THEY HAVE SO IT’S ACROSS THE BOARD. THEY JUST FUCK PEOPLE AND KEEP GOING. YOU CAN’T EVEN FIND ANYONE IN THEIR “HOME OFFICE”. I TELL EVERYONE I KNOW TO STAY AWAY FROM CITIZENS BANK…
 13th of Aug, 2010 by   DEBBI LOMAS 0 Votes
CITIZENS HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE!!! WE STARTED WITH THEM AND NO PROBLEMS. THE LOAN WAS DUE ON THE 25TH FOR 254.64. FOUR MONTHS AGO THEY SENT ME A LETTER ON THE 16TH STATING I OWED 300.00 PLUS 29.99 LATE FEE. (NO PAYMENT BILL)

AFTER MANY PHONE CALLS I PAYED IT. REPEATED EVERY MONTH SINCE. SEEMS THAT SINCE WE MADE OUR PAYMENTS TO THEM BY THE 15TH EVERY MONTH THEY CAHANGED THE DUE DATE. THEIR FOR THE COMPUTTER AUTOMATICLY SENDS ME A LATE LETTER INSTEAD OF BILL. TO TOP THAT OFF BECAUSE I PAID OVER THE LOAN AMOUNT AND REPEATEDLY MADE PAYMENTS OF 300 TO 500 A MONTH THE PAYMENT IS NOW 300.

THEY HAVE THE NERVE TO TELL ME I AM LUCKY, SINCE I MADE MORE THAN 3 PAYMENTS OF 500 THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE THE LOAN PAYMENT 500 AND NOT THE 300 THAT IS NOW DUE.

AFTER FIGHTING WITH THEM TODAY 8-13 AS NOW MY PAYMENT IS LATE ON THE 10TH. THEY TELL ME I HAVE THE RIGHT TO PAY THE LOAN OFF IF I DONT LIKE THE WAY THEY DO BUSINESS. AND BECAUSE WE HAVE HAD MORE THAN 4 LATE PAYMENTS THE INTEREST RATE ON THE LOAN WENT FROM 2.9 TO 19.95 THIS LAST MONTH, WITHOUT NOTICE. EVEN THOUGH NONE OF THE "LATE" PAYMENTS HAVE BEEN MADE AFTER ACTUAL ORIGINAL DATE DUE.

UNLESS YOU WANT TO PAY TOOO MUCH AND FIGHT MONTHLY WITH A COMPANY THAT NEVER HAS NOTES ON THE ACOUNT FROM YOUR PHONE CALLS, DO NOT DO BUSY WITH THIS JOKE OF A COMPANY!!!
 23rd of Aug, 2010 by   down and out +1 Votes
Well, we have a loan at Citizen's for a car. Have made honest attempts to make the payments on-time for 2 years. Sometimes fall behind, but catch up eventually. Have spoken to them several times over the phone. Their customer services sucks! Our payments are made thru our bank when we have the money to do it. Never on-time, but always there eventually. Repoed our car over the weekend.. what a horrible experience. Company that took it got the orders that day and they came with a tow truck at 2:30 in the morning. No questions asked, just took it! No, we never got anything in the mail saying they were going to do this... not even a phone call from them. Every call they made to us was a hang up on our machine. Now what do we do?
 9th of Sep, 2010 by   Brent G Thomas 0 Votes
Having big issue to get them to send paper billing statement to my address which we was far ahead then we did not received any more billing statement till last three months ago. Then we recieved a thresting call that we owe money that I asked them ot send paper statement so I can keep paying the statement which keeps falling on deaf ears. Nothing has been done for next three months and still foghting with them to get the billing statement out to my address which I kept repeating it for over ten times on three calls I received. This month I had to called them and wonder why I not recieving any billing and I had to start all over. Is there any way to get them to listen and get the billing statement send to the house so I can pay it on time. Or is this how they get more money from the customer for the interest increase for late payment which did not get the billing statement? How I get them to listen and get them send the billing statement to the house?
 13th of Sep, 2010 by   ChelleS 0 Votes
Brent, I am in the same boat as you. It has been five months since I received my statement. I just send my check with no paperwork, except a note stating how many months its has been since I received a statement, and that I am making every effort to continue to pay off my car loan. I do suggest that you look into refinancing your automobile loan; that is what I am doing. Best of luck to you all.
 18th of Jan, 2011 by   Online_P 0 Votes
I have a loan for my car and this is my nightmare. They are charging $4.65 per day and It seems that it does not matter how much you will pay you still will own them 20 years later
 28th of Feb, 2011 by   msab 0 Votes
I mailed myFINAL payment Feb 16th. I was very excited. The payment is not due until Feb 28th. Guess what? Today is Feb 28th and they have no payment. I called On Feb. 22 and was told by a female they are behind because of Presidents Day. I called again on Feb. 24th and was told they are behind and it could be the following week Wed (this is past my due date) and 16 days past the time I mailed it. I called today Feb. 28th and spoke to a man. I explained I have sent my payments for 5 and half years and no problems now they can't not find it. I made copies of everything and I read the final statement and where to mail. He is now telling me I sent it to the wrong address. I called later this afternoon and the system is down I was told to call back in 15 mins. That was 3 hours ago and the system is still down. I have NEVER been late on one payment or have missed a payment and no one will help me.
 23rd of Mar, 2011 by   ZacWeaver 0 Votes
These are horrible, nasty, rude, people. They are not even human! DRIVE YOUR CAR INTO A TREE AND GET THE INSURANCE TO PAY THEM OFF AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GAP INSURANCE. IT WOULD BE EASIER THEN DEALING WITH THESE NEANDERTHALS! SATAN OWNS THIS BANK! RIDE A BIKE OR WALK INSTEAD OF DEALING WITH THIS BANK!!!

The IPCC is a Fraud