Ancestry.com

Posted:

very poor customer service

Ancestry.com
Illinois
'DNA provides deep ancestry and often relationship with others. It will not tell you who your father is" says ancestry.com:::...DUH...
I think ill go with a LESS INSENSITIVE company that answers your questions correctly and doesn't respond as if you are an idiot. I ASKED WHAT WILL IT TELL ME NOT WHAT IT WILL NOT TELL ME ..this is what I wrote back to the jerks at Ancestry.com. I wrote to this company to get an idea what a DNA test will tell me with no mothers or fathers DNA present . As bad as it is that I do not know who my father is for them to incorrectly answer my original question and write back in this way infuriated me. Thank goodness I didn't fork over my cc number for their free trial. I didn't bother to read their response either. They messed up in my book.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Bad Business Partners
Was the above complaint useful?

Comments

3rd of Sep, 2011 by    0 Votes
Yep. That was a rather poor way to handle your question. It drives me crazy when customer service reps don't actually answer my questions as well.

I'm not an expert with DNA, but I happen to know a geneticist whom I asked about things like this. If I remember correctly, DNA can be traced through a male line (your father, his father, his father, etc.) or through a female line (your mother, her mother, her mother, etc.). Ultimately, you'll find out countries where your ancestors came from (sometimes actual regions as well). But it's only going to be able to follow two branches of your tree, so it doesn't really give a whole picture. For some people, the DNA test is really helpful. But for others it's a complete waste of time.
 7th of Dec, 2012 by    0 Votes
Email to Ancestry. com: So you believe that we, the general public, aren't smart enough to figure out the implications of Y-DNA and mtDNA, so you drop this part of the testing and satisfy the masses with grouping genealogist with hobbyist. And by the way, if you plan to eliminated Y-DNA and the mtDNA aspect of testing, clean up the website and help files so you aren't misleading your costumers with bits of information that don't exist. I did send in a test and thought there was something wrong when I saw what seemed to be an incomplete test result. I called service and I was told that that was it. I thought it was strange for a company into real genealogy to expand a service not subtract from it.
Response: (Sort of) Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting Ancestry.com regarding your feedback on the new autosomal DNA test.

We apologize for any frustration this issue may have caused and appreciate your feedback. We have forwarded your message on to our feedback department.

For information regarding additional methods of submitting feedback, please visit the following URL:
If you need additional assistance, please feel free to reply to this message or contact us by phone at 1-800-ANCESTRY (1-800-262-3787) from 10am to 10pm EST, Monday through Sunday. To date there was no response be the feedback department.

Contact Us