Posted:

Scam and fraud

ancestry.com
There are many complaints regarding Ancestry.com and they are all valid as far as I am concerned. They attempted to use my credit card and extend my membership even though they had been instructed not to. They do this because as most people who have even had a membership with Ancestry will tell you they don't have any information other web sites don't have and the other web sites are free or at least won't take it apon themselves to extend a membership. If you ever do a search on Ancestry you will see that most of their information is taken from Census reports that are available everywhere. That's why they extend your membership, they hope you won't notice and they have such a dramatic fall out rate that they try to swindle people. Do not under any circumstances give them your credit card number unless you have a credit card company that believes you and not them. The credit card companies want that money too. Ancestry will take you to the cleaners if you allow them to.
Complaint comments Comments (15) Complaint country United States Complaint category Products & Services

Comments

20th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes

Ancestrys - False Credit Card Charge
Ancestrys

I just found a charge for $109.95 from this company on a rarely used card I have. Fortunately I caught it right away, called my CC issuer, USAA, and they canceled charge and issued a new card.

I found several old complaints on this site -- just need to update as they are still at it!
 8th of Sep, 2009 by    -1 Votes
When I signed up, I realized that I had opted in for automatic renewel (not my intention) using an inactive. Upon contacting Ancestry.com, they were able to confirm that I had not logged in at all (probably a missing point in a lot of these negative posts about Ancestry) and they reversed the charges immediately. I have nothing but great things to say about the stellar service Ancestry provides!
 25th of Feb, 2011 by    -2 Votes
Yes, Ancestry.com accounts almost always automatically renew (read the terms and conditions before you agree to them). You should have received an email about it before it renewed. However, as t4me observed, customer service seems to be decent about it if you honestly didn't realize it was going to and they can see that you haven't logged in recently. For the record, here's a site with a couple good explanations on how to avoid issues with Ancestry.com (unofficial of course, so you get the truth): http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/

Also, you seem to think that Ancestry.com doesn't have many records. In fact, they have the most extensive online database for genealogy records in the world. It's true that their are some records you can find on other sites for free, but most of them you can't. If you ever resubscribe to Ancestry.com, I recommend the Card Catalog for finding the elusive record databases. See a tutorial at http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/the-site/the-card-catalog-is-your-source-for-...
 29th of Oct, 2012 by    0 Votes
I purchased a 1 month trial of Ancestry.com while doing family history last April 2012. I finished most of it the end of the same month. So I cancelled the subscription so they would not charge me more. I though that was the end of it. I then look in August 2012 and see a strange deduction on my bank statement.

I only have Netflix take money out monthly, so I logged into my paypal account. It was Ancestry.com again!!! I quickly cancelled the membership again, and was informed I was "not eligible for a refund" so I let it go. Then the next month, I get charged again! Now this month again! Turns out they have been using my paypal for the last six months, and 160 dollars without my knowledge.

Not only that, but no email notifications of these withdrawals (and all mine withdrawals get an email) were ever sent to my email account. I have now cancelled 3 times, with the same "no refund" statement when I have not used any forms or service since April. They refuse to allow you to write formal email, and will not respond properly. Beware of this supposed guaranteed service, they rob you blind and not even tell you.
 20th of Dec, 2014 by    0 Votes
Ancestry.com's information is highly inaccurate and changes like the wind. They claim the changes are to improve the service but the changes are really just an effort to correct the mistakes others are accusing them of. For example, my paternal aunt and I do not share searches or matches even though we are absolutely matches in regard to dna. In addition, my ancestry.com email was out of service for three months and the company will not refund money for a lack of service. I was writing for months to others in vain because the matches never got my messages. The problem is still not fixed as they continue to charge my account.
I am a very dissatisfied customer. Never found a true confirmed match until I went to FTDNA.GET YOU ACT TOGETHER ANCESTRY.COM.
 12th of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
I logged on to ancestry in February 2013 because of an email ad offering a 14-day free trial. A customer service person at ancestry just confirmed that the one and only time I logged on to my account was February 6, 2013. Since then I have had five charges, beginning 2/23/13, every six months. They started out at $77.70 and grew to $99. Shame on me for not monitoring my small checking account that I use for online purchases. (You can tell I don't purchase much online.) Today (May 12, 2015) I was given a refund of the February 2015 charge ($99), but there were no other concessions. How about some banked time in the future? Not when getting a refund. How can a company in good conscience take and keep your money like that?
When you call ancestry, ask them when you logged on. They can tell.
 14th of May, 2015 by    -1 Votes
Prior to submitting DNA, we are assured by Ancestry.com that our information will be private and secure with no release of our personal contact information. However, they recently allowed the police to go on a fishing expedition to find a familial match to a suspect, releasing all private information without a court order to do so. Only after receiving this information did police secure a court order for DNA testing of a familial match to one of the ancestry.com participants relatives. DNA did not match the suspect.. However, law enforcement is increasingly using Rapid-DNA analyzers where multiple people have touched a surface. The quality of this DNA is suspect, yet it could still end up in a database. Who knows what "Big Brother" issues may arise in the future for those who have entrusted their DNA analysis with Ancestry.com.
 30th of Dec, 2015 by    -1 Votes
Scam
 14th of Mar, 2016 by    -2 Votes
Ancestry is a bogus science rip off who act like a one arm bandit slot machine demanding you keep feeding them money. My kids have independently submitted tests and the inconsistencies are ridiculous. I have traced my lineage back to the 1500's (Welsh and English) yet supposedly I am Irish and Scandinavian, I guess the Vikings were pretty prolific pillagers back in the day. I really dislike the coin operated just pay a bit more to get more come-ons they constantly put out with minimal actual results, just a bunch of marketing hyperbole. What else can you expect from a bogus religion who present themselves as legit.
Don't fall for their scam save your money.
 6th of Jun, 2016 by    -1 Votes
I tried to cancel my guest account but this is impossible. Very chip trick! Ancestry.com is chip, lying, low profile money sucking “company”. I tried to call but there is answering “too many calls”. Sure! The website doesn’t give any option to cancel account. There is no option at all. All they need to suck your money and no escape. I will do everything possible on all websites to tell about my experience.
 10th of Jun, 2016 by    0 Votes
Just had a charge on my card that I had canceled the subscription for, no refund even though I caught the charge just minutes after it was charged!! Scam is a correct term to use when it comes to their billing, I had my DNA done and others in the family also want to do it but I tell them do not use Ancestry!!
 16th of Jun, 2016 by    -1 Votes
Ancestry.com DNA service.
Whatever you do, don't link your specimen up with anyone in your tree. All they will do is fabricate a dna report based on the people on your tree. I got a report back that was as phony as the day is long. The one thing my ancestry.com tree doesn't have in it is the fact that my mother is a child of an affair. Nothing on my tree would tell you that. They missed half of her identity, which tells me they never ran the dna in the first place.
So, be forewarned, they will resort to saving money the easy way.
 2nd of Aug, 2016 by    0 Votes

Ancestry.com - Everything they offer you can find elsewhere, for free or much cheaper
ancestry.com

Total rip-off. Everything they offer you can find elsewhere, for free or much cheaper. Customer service? Don't even bother. Doesn't exist. Don't waste your money.
 2nd of Aug, 2016 by    0 Votes
I've said it a thousand times... and I guess I'll end up saying it another thousand times. If you pay for anything on the internet, you are wasting your money. You pay for the ISP... nothing more. Everything else is free or pirated (also free).

Ancestry.govgenealogysearch.com - not what advertised
Ancestry.GovGenealogySearch.com
2302 Cherry St
Mississippi
Phone: 6016310624

This is not a governmental of any kind and it is not a geneological site like ancestry.com and it leads you to believe that it is just to get your money. You cannot do address searches like it advertised for ancestors. This is People seach and they are worthless! I want my money back now and they should not be allowed to charge my card.

Ancestry Logo Ancestry