Ancestry.com

Posted:

Scam and fraud

Ancestry.com
ancestry.com
There are many complaints regarding Ancestry.com and they are all valid as far as I am concerned. They attempted to use my credit card and extend my membership even though they had been instructed not to. They do this because as most people who have even had a membership with Ancestry will tell you they don't have any information other web sites don't have and the other web sites are free or at least won't take it apon themselves to extend a membership. If you ever do a search on Ancestry you will see that most of their information is taken from Census reports that are available everywhere. That's why they extend your membership, they hope you won't notice and they have such a dramatic fall out rate that they try to swindle people. Do not under any circumstances give them your credit card number unless you have a credit card company that believes you and not them. The credit card companies want that money too. Ancestry will take you to the cleaners if you allow them to.
Was the above complaint useful?

Comments

8th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
When I signed up, I realized that I had opted in for automatic renewel (not my intention) using an inactive. Upon contacting Ancestry.com, they were able to confirm that I had not logged in at all (probably a missing point in a lot of these negative posts about Ancestry) and they reversed the charges immediately. I have nothing but great things to say about the stellar service Ancestry provides!
 25th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
Yes, Ancestry.com accounts almost always automatically renew (read the terms and conditions before you agree to them). You should have received an email about it before it renewed. However, as t4me observed, customer service seems to be decent about it if you honestly didn't realize it was going to and they can see that you haven't logged in recently. For the record, here's a site with a couple good explanations on how to avoid issues with Ancestry.com (unofficial of course, so you get the truth): http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/avoiding-issues/

Also, you seem to think that Ancestry.com doesn't have many records. In fact, they have the most extensive online database for genealogy records in the world. It's true that their are some records you can find on other sites for free, but most of them you can't. If you ever resubscribe to Ancestry.com, I recommend the Card Catalog for finding the elusive record databases. See a tutorial at http://www.familytreeshortcuts.com/the-site/the-card-catalog-is-your-source-for-specific-records/
 29th of Oct, 2012 by    0 Votes
I purchased a 1 month trial of Ancestry.com while doing family history last April 2012. I finished most of it the end of the same month. So I cancelled the subscription so they would not charge me more. I though that was the end of it. I then look in August 2012 and see a strange deduction on my bank statement.

I only have Netflix take money out monthly, so I logged into my paypal account. It was Ancestry.com again!!! I quickly cancelled the membership again, and was informed I was "not eligible for a refund" so I let it go. Then the next month, I get charged again! Now this month again! Turns out they have been using my paypal for the last six months, and 160 dollars without my knowledge.

Not only that, but no email notifications of these withdrawals (and all mine withdrawals get an email) were ever sent to my email account. I have now cancelled 3 times, with the same "no refund" statement when I have not used any forms or service since April. They refuse to allow you to write formal email, and will not respond properly. Beware of this supposed guaranteed service, they rob you blind and not even tell you.
 20th of Dec, 2014 by    0 Votes
Ancestry.com's information is highly inaccurate and changes like the wind. They claim the changes are to improve the service but the changes are really just an effort to correct the mistakes others are accusing them of. For example, my paternal aunt and I do not share searches or matches even though we are absolutely matches in regard to dna. In addition, my ancestry.com email was out of service for three months and the company will not refund money for a lack of service. I was writing for months to others in vain because the matches never got my messages. The problem is still not fixed as they continue to charge my account.
I am a very dissatisfied customer. Never found a true confirmed match until I went to FTDNA.GET YOU ACT TOGETHER ANCESTRY.COM.
 12th of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
I logged on to ancestry in February 2013 because of an email ad offering a 14-day free trial. A customer service person at ancestry just confirmed that the one and only time I logged on to my account was February 6, 2013. Since then I have had five charges, beginning 2/23/13, every six months. They started out at $77.70 and grew to $99. Shame on me for not monitoring my small checking account that I use for online purchases. (You can tell I don't purchase much online.) Today (May 12, 2015) I was given a refund of the February 2015 charge ($99), but there were no other concessions. How about some banked time in the future? Not when getting a refund. How can a company in good conscience take and keep your money like that?
When you call ancestry, ask them when you logged on. They can tell.
 14th of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
Prior to submitting DNA, we are assured by Ancestry.com that our information will be private and secure with no release of our personal contact information. However, they recently allowed the police to go on a fishing expedition to find a familial match to a suspect, releasing all private information without a court order to do so. Only after receiving this information did police secure a court order for DNA testing of a familial match to one of the ancestry.com participants relatives. DNA did not match the suspect.. However, law enforcement is increasingly using Rapid-DNA analyzers where multiple people have touched a surface. The quality of this DNA is suspect, yet it could still end up in a database. Who knows what "Big Brother" issues may arise in the future for those who have entrusted their DNA analysis with Ancestry.com.

Contact Us