logo

Posted:    Valerie

Awful company

AIG Insurance
aig.com
In April 2008, I called AIG Insurance before purchasing tickets on Priceline to go see my sick grandmother to see if she passed away before I got there or while I was there if I could get reimburse or change my flight if required. I was told that grandmother's were consider to be immediately family and I should not have any problem being reimburse or changing my flight if something like that occurred. Well my grandmother did pass away. The funeral was on Monday and our return flight back was also on Monday. Our flight left early Monday morning and my grandmother funeral was not until 11:00 a.m., that day. Of course I stayed for the funeral but now AIG travel insurance refuse to refund our money for the airline tickets to return home. My parents had to drive from Minnesota to Michigan to get my husband, our infant child and me for we were stranded without any way back. Because I stayed for my grandmother funeral AIG said they could not refund my money back. We did not ask for reimbursement for hotel fee, gas money for our parents. Since we did use the flight to go to Michigan we only asked for the price we paid, taxes and fee for the return trip. What good in purchasing the insurance if it will not protect you in unpreventable situations such as this? I have appeal twice and AIG Insurance is still denying my claim. They said that if my grandmother died while I was there they would have refund the money but because I stayed for her funeral they will not. What kind of nonsense is that? I am not sure who I can contact regarding this but want everyone to know that by purchasing the insurance with AIG travel Assist does not mean that they will keep their part of the bargain and have specific wording of the guidelines of what they will reimbursed you for and what they will not. So even though my grandmother died and I stayed for her funeral to pay my last respect, AIG change the wording so they would not have to reimburse us for our money.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

5 Tips for Your 2009 Tax Return