logo

Posted:    Alfred

Online scam

Weight Watchers Online
weightwatchers.com
I am a online user experience expert reviewing weightwatchers.com for an upcoming blog article. I signed up for the FREE 7 DAY trial to conduct the review.

I clicked the FREE TRIAL button and was redirected to a sign up page. I didn't see anything about a free trial so I went back to the previous page and clicked the FREE TRIAL button again. The website landed me back on the same sign up page.

So I assumed I was signing up for the free trial and continued through the flow. When I came to the credit card entry form I assumed my card would be charged at the end of the seven day trial or at the least the funds be refunded when I canceled.

After I completed a my usability review of the website I clicked on the Cancel Account link. I also sent a cancellation email to the customer service department.

An agent named 'Kelle' with Weight Watchers Online accounting department responded to let me know that my credit card was charged $65.00 and that I would only be receiving an $18.10 refund. So my two-hour 'FREE TRIAL' actually cost $46.90.

The agent was not at all concerned when I told her that I clicked on the FREE TRIAL link and canceled after only 2 hours. Instead of addressing a significant error in the user interface, she referred me to the 10 page legal agreement I was supposed to read during sign up.

After a bit more research I learned that Weight Watchers Online has an UNSATISFACTORY record with the BBB of New York and has had 43 complaints in the last 12 months! I also found many more users complaining about this very same issue in various forums.

Weight Watchers Online baited me with a FREE TRIAL offer on their website. I signed up under this pretense. The fact that they immediately invoked the legal agreement without addressing an obvious problem on the website leads me to conclude that this is a deliberate BAIT AND SWITCH technique employed by what I believed was a trustworthy brand.

In my opinion this despicable practice constitutes blatant online fraud. I will do everything in my power to make sure that Weight Watchers Online is investigated by the New York attorney general's office.
Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Jul, 2009 by   Brian F 0 Votes
I had a similar experience for their thirty day trial. Lousy as hell customer service.
 1st of Jun, 2011 by   Kozi2005 0 Votes
I am also having an issue. I signed up for a 3 month online plan and decided within the hour that it wasn't workable for me. It was confusing and I did not want to continue so I canceled immediately. They emailed me back saying of the $54 charged, I was only entitled to $5.95 refund, even not using it at all and canceling immediately. This is absolutely a scam and my opinion of Weight Watchers has changed from positive to completely negative. I am also contacting my Attorney General's office and the Better Business Bureau.
 1st of Jun, 2011 by   Yiks! 0 Votes
I have just been scammed by WW online. I signed up and within the hour of trying to figure it out, realized it was going to be beyond my computer skills & tied to cancel. They were willing to give me $5.95 back of the $53.85 I'd originally paid. What a scam & and from a company I'd trusted from using it years ago. Boy, times have changed!

6 Tips to Avoiding Flight Delays