logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
jewelrybund.com
My order wasn’t successful and impossible to return them
2. (1 mins ago)
jewelrybund.com
I got damaged jewellery and communication stopped
3. (4 mins ago)
jewelrybund.com
Seller and agent don’t reply to emails
4. (5 mins ago)

Webroot
Boulder, Colorado
Phone: 866-612-4268
webroot.com
I renewed my subscription to Webroot Virus protection. They placed me on automatic renewal, of my subscription, without my permission. They offered a website to click on to get this removed. I tried and tried to get this removed. They kept demanding more information. Finally I never got a response when I clicked on one of their buttons. I called them and was never able to talk to talk to anybody.

I got a run around and a persons voice kept telling me how they were protecting me by making my renewal automatic. They also said I would be given a notice and plenty of time to reject their offer before my next renewal. We both know that after pulling what they have that they can't be trusted to do this.

At this stage I want a refund and nothing to do with these people. I read what the Aussie said about never getting a refund from these people, I have not asked for a refund but I am sure I would get the run around from these thugs if I did.. I do want to put some other protection and get them out of my computer before I proceed. Please advise me how to proceed.

Comments United States Software & Games
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Mar, 2009 by   webroot_sucks 0 Votes
i'm in the same boat.
it's called fraud.
fawk webroot.
their scam is no different then the crap the hackers pull.
 23rd of Mar, 2009 by   MARTY 0 Votes
I'M HEARING YOU, I WAS CHARGED FOR A SOFTWARE PRODUCT AND HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IT IS? IT JUST SHOWED UP ON MY BANK STATEMENT, SENT A EMAIL TO REFUND@WEBROOT.COM WITH NO RESPONSE. JUST WANT MY MONEY $33.00 IS ALOT TO ME. BUNCH OF BULLCRAP WEBROOT NEEDS TO UPHOLD THEIR REFUND POLICIES... I DON'T EVEN HAVE A WEBROOT PRODUCT ON MY COMPUTER ?!?!
 27th of Mar, 2009 by   Jennifer Jarvis 0 Votes
I am in the same boat, so what do I do to get this fee off my credit card. I cannot find the website to do this. I can't talk to anybody. I am so sick of thiefs.
 3rd of Apr, 2009 by   t.beridon 0 Votes
Has anyone got any response to this fraudulant act? If so please inform on how to get action. /t. beridon
 10th of Apr, 2009 by   DEBBIE 0 Votes
THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME, i WAS WAITING FOR MY SUBSCRIPTION TO END SO I COULD BE THROUGH WITH THIS, BEFORE I COULD I BLINK THEY CHARGED MY BANK ACCOUNT AND RENEWED MY SUBSCRIPTION . i KEEP GETTING THE RUN AROUND THESE PEOPLE ARE SUPPOSED TO HELP YOU AGAINST THIEVES BUT THEY ARE ACTUALLY ONE OF THEM!
 11th of Apr, 2009 by   Floecar 0 Votes
Ditto. What a buch of crooks and thieves.
Pete
 11th of Apr, 2009 by   t.beridon 0 Votes
Anyone have any ideas on how to get our money back? My only thought is to close my banking account.
 13th of Apr, 2009 by   Bob Roberts +1 Votes
OK this happened to me "Sort of" and I felt the need to comment because there is a lot of misinformation here.

Webroot are not crooks. When you sign up for their product you agree to automatic renewal. You know when you install the software and it says END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT and a bunch of legal crap -- well this is why you don't want to just skip those screens. If you took 5 minutes to read what you were agreeing to, you would have seen that Automatic Renewal (or as Webroot terms it "uninterrupted protection") is part of what you agreed to.

Also, Webroot sends out emails about 4 weeks before your renewal and then another 1 week before. If you didn't get those e-mails because you changed your e-mail address and didn't tell Webroot, that is not Webroot's fault. (that is what happened to me.) They give people PLENTY of warning for the renewals and the warning e-mails they send you contain a link to the site where you can STOP the auto-renewal ANY TIME YOU WANT!!! I learned an important lesson from this, if you ever "registered" your software and used your e-mail address, you better not change your e-mail address or you better notify EVERYONE when you do, because you might miss important e-mails!!!

If you want to stop the automatic renewal go to this site:

it is very easy to opt out of the automatic renewal. you just need your keycode.

Now you are going to ask, what if I lost my keycode or I don't have the program anymore? Well, that's what happened to me...

So I called the phone number listed on their website, 1-866-612-4268 and after holding for about 15 minutes I spoke to someone who happily canceled my account and refunded my money. They just needed to look me up by my name, e-mail address, etc. so it took a little time for them to find me.

That was 1 week ago and the money showed up today in my bank account as promised. I am sorry you guys can't follow directions from the website but you should not be calling them crooks, it is not true. They did not charge you for anything you did not agree to when you bought their software.

If you think you never bought any Webroot software, I have news for you. If you bought your computer at Circuit City or Best Buy, those stores probably signed you up without telling you. They do it all the time (I got my computer at Best Buy and that's what the guy there told me) because they get a commission for every Webroot product they install (they also get a commission from McAfee and Trend Micro which is why they ALSO install those products along with all the other junk they put on there).

By the way, all of this information is available by searching Webroot's own site for the word "renewal" - I just tried myself to confirm this. I don't understand why people are having such a hard time. I don't really like this "auto renewal" thing and I wish they would make it so you have to opt IN for it, instead of opt OUT, but, that's life. They certainly are not crooks.

AGAIN IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH WEBROOT CALL THEM AT 1-866-612-4268. BE PATIENT SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO HOLD FOR A LONG TIME, LIKE 45 MINUTES BUT THEY ARE EXCELLENT PEOPLE AND WILL GLADLY HELP YOU AND WILL REFUND YOUR MONEY!!!
 27th of May, 2009 by   frustrated 0 Votes
I just went through the same thing. Auto renewal without my permission. Don't bother with the web links to cancel. A waste of time. Also don't bother calling 1-866-612-4268; you'll just get a referral to the website.
Instead, call 1-866-612-4227. Do not prompt the # to cancel renewal, it just gives you a website address and then hangs up. Instead, click on the # they state to renew your subscription. This will get you to a real live operator who will cancel your sub. and give you a credit.
 27th of May, 2009 by   Bob Roberts 0 Votes
I just need to reiterate this. While I think it is a shady practice, Webroot did not, at any time, charge ANY PERSON, "without permission."

When you sign up for their product you agree to automatic renewal. You know when you install the software and it says END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT and a bunch of legal crap. You clicked on "I agree to these terms" when installing the program. If you took 5 minutes to read what you were agreeing to, you would have seen that Automatic Renewal (or as Webroot terms it "uninterrupted protection") is part of what you agreed to.

Again, by clicking I AGREE and installing the product, you DID give Webroot permission, whether you know it or not.
 7th of Jun, 2009 by   Malcolm Pickwell 0 Votes
I have been charged twice for my subscription I can't get them to reverse the entry, they did credit back and then cancelled my sugscription saying I only paid once
 27th of Jun, 2009 by   UtahGuy 0 Votes
The autorenew policy of Webroot Software is in clear violation of Utah Code
Title 15 Chapter 10 - Service Contracts Act*.

Specifically:

========================================================================================

*15-10-201. Notice requirement.

*(1) A service contract may not contain an automatic renewal provision
unless the seller provides the consumer written notice complying with
Subsection (2) that informs the consumer of the automatic renewal provision.
(2) (a) The seller shall provide the written notice required under
Subsection (1) to the consumer:
(i) personally;
(ii) by certified mail; or
(iii) prominently displayed on the first page of a monthly statement.

People move. They change their email addresses. Notice of automatic renewal via email is insufficient to protect the consumer, especially when they were forced into the agreement to begin with.

Other states have similar 'automatic renewal' provisions. Contact your Attorney General with your complaint.

As long as Webroot is making a profit from you, they won't stop.

Very shady business practice.
 2nd of Jul, 2009 by   Another Utah Guy 0 Votes
I've installed literally thousands of software programs and never once have there been an "automatic renewal" provision. This is definitely a crooked company out to rip off not just anyone - *their paying customers*. I haven't resolved the issue yet but believe me - I won't be stuck with the charges.
 2nd of Jul, 2009 by   SuperVepr 0 Votes
Uhhh, huh, huh, uhhhhh you said root. Uhhh huh huh
 2nd of Jul, 2009 by   SuperVepr 0 Votes
Uhhhh huh huh

4th of Jul, 2009 by   R. L. O. 0 Votes
Be aware, Bob Roberts, who wrote the nice paragraphs about Webroot, is one of their employee. I renewed my subscription in January 2009, it would expire 1 year later. I immediately got warnings my subscription had expired. I reloaded software but soon the same thing happened. I filed a complaint. They gave me a program to run to gather data and send them. It did not work so I uploaded the data to them manually. They refused to answer me after that. After 6 months of problems, I uninstalled it.

Their CEO died about 1 year ago. He was the brains behind the company. Since then I feel they have gone downhill. Do not buy any Webroot products. There are better solutions out there.

R. O.
 20th of Jul, 2009 by   speaker2007 +1 Votes
all i have to say is webroot stinks and i wouldn't advise anyone to subscribe to it. Their customer support is terrible.
 2nd of Aug, 2009 by   Hillar 0 Votes
All you have to do is call your credit card Co. and file for a chargeback
 16th of Aug, 2009 by   djprco 0 Votes
Hillar, you really think that I could just call my credit card company (Amex) in my country (Croatia), and that they will cancelled charge from Webroot??? How will I prove them, that I didn't give my permission for charging my account? I can try, but it's funny way...
 8th of Sep, 2009 by   Edeeot 0 Votes
I called the number as indicated by individual above and it worked like a champ, they asked for my email and removed the account from their records to not be charged.

Account Verification‏ Western Union Scam