logo

AJ Interlinks
Fraud / False Promises
3. (2 hrs 19 mins ago)
www.diplomascenters.com
They stopped to communicate with us
4. (2 hrs 31 mins ago)
Collect Pros
Collections scam
5. (2 hrs 52 mins ago)
lancaster county children and youth
termination of parental right/false accusations

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

United Parcel Service, Missouri Complaints & Reviews - Employee horror story

United Parcel Service Contacts & Informations

Posted:    mrhockey1959

Employee horror story

Missouri
I have been reading many of the complaints that are included in this site and would like to share and sympathize. I worked for UPS from 1985 until 2002 as a delivery driver. UPS changed dramatically after the death of its founder Jim Casey in 1987. From that day forward nothing mattered to management other than the almighty dollar. Customer service is a joke. Employees are treated like slaves. Working conditions are third world at best. UPS had a solid reputation during the late 80's and early 90's but there was a dramatic shift to the bottom line at all costs. Early on management was promoted from within but as all companies move toward a lower wage this trend stopped. This is by far the worst place I ever worked in my life. Supervisors who are in way over their heads is the norm. Safety is a afterthought. Most centers need to be audited by OSHA. But employees who speak up or take action are targeted for suspension and termination. Work weeks of 55+ hours for drivers is a regular occurrence. Let me explain in detail. As a driver you could start work at 8:30am and will not be off the street until 9:30 or 10:00pm. Fatigue is commonplace. During my time I nodded off routinely when I was driving. Safety at UPS is a smokescreen. Prozac is taken like candy by drivers, divorce is ramped, hypertension is common, production levels are unrealistic, management is unskilled and combative, and injury is considered weakness and lazy. I spent 17 years at this "hell hole" and was paid very well for my services. But I came to the realization that it was just not worth it. I quit and am happier for it. Most complaints that you may have are a direct result of a poorly managed company where stress is used as a tool for greater production, no matter what the cost to employee or consumer.
Comments United States Movement & Delivery
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Feb, 2008 by   Roger J. LaRose 0 Votes

United Parcel Service - Overcharges!
5656 Casino Circle
Fort Worth
Texas
Phone: 817-483-9911

UPS has a policy of manipulating shipments from infrequent users and adding back door charges for problems that do not occur.
 16th of Dec, 2009 by   Binche 0 Votes

United Parcel Service - Lies, lies, lies
ups.com

UPS has lied about two delivery attempts they never made, and then sent the item back to the sender AFTER I have called customer service to ask why a second attempt was never made, and specifically requested for delivery the next day!
 29th of Jan, 2010 by   mcarroll 0 Votes
Same problem different day on help sent back to shipper witch is kind of funny UPS is the shipping company the company who sent the package to me is the sender not the shipper ?
They don't help and should have used the mail !!!

M Carroll
West Chester PA
 14th of Feb, 2010 by   AirlineCustomerCareManager +1 Votes
Always good to hear from the "inside"... I often wonder about the drivers and I hear stories about how they can't go home until they have finished their deliveries for the day.
 1st of Mar, 2010 by   gwabble +1 Votes
I have been a customer of UPS for twenty-nine years and all I can say is the former UPS employee from Missouri is absolutely right about the goings on behind the scenes at UPS. It is the same way in Alabama as well.
 24th of May, 2010 by   Alpinnos 0 Votes

United Parcel Service - Awful and dirty service
ups.com

UPS Delivered two large truck tires on a rainy day; tires arrived at the door wet. Both of the tires was also full of fresh dog crape that I noticed after rolling them through my home to the garage. Soiling my carpet, my hands, and just stunk up home. It took me, my wife, and child three hours to clean up the mess.
 25th of May, 2010 by   SAvone 0 Votes

United Parcel Service - The UPS driver didn't actually notice me as he rolled through a stop sign as he was too busy texting on his cell phone
ups.com

The UPS driver didn't actually notice me as he rolled through a stop sign as he was too busy texting on his cell phone. Not only does this have the potential for disaster but here in Austin it also illegal. This guy is a disaster and a danger to the people of Austin.
 6th of Jun, 2010 by   rhonda jackson +1 Votes
I am a current employee at UPS and I must agree 101 percent that it is truly HELL WORKING IN THERE! I can't say it better than the last former Missouri employee. Conditions of working there is HORRIBLE! Safety is definitely last priority, although they would have you think otherwise. The ONLY good thing that they offer you there, that may sound good, is their benefit package which is Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Which you need to have if you are going to work at UPS because it is a very dangerous job to work for considering all the metal and heavy packages/ boxes that come through there! Their main concern is PRODUCTIVITY, not their employees.
 19th of Jun, 2010 by   Trident 0 Votes

United Parcel Service - I will now be going back to the post office where I am treated with respect
ups.com

I dropped off a package at the store near the Loop in Kissimmee FL only to have it delivered back to me. The owner was not there on Saturday and when I told him that he told me nastly that I should go to another UPS store! I will now be going back to the post office where I am treated with respect.
 21st of Jun, 2010 by   Driver_Steve +1 Votes
As a 25 yr. U.P.S. driver, I wholeheartedly agree. U.P.S. talks about safety, but as a driver I had unobtainable production standards. I drove around railroad crossing arms, sped through residential streets, skipped my meal, and when I returned to the U.P.S. building I was still harassed for being too slow, and threatened with termination. I am grateful that I only hit some family pets, and not a child.
 23rd of Jun, 2010 by   Driver_Steve +2 Votes
@ Stealth Pilot, I'm sure it would seem that it is as simple as your comments. The main problem is that U.P.S. will tell you - -take your lunch, drive the posted speed, etc. The problems occur when the company knows full well that if you do this, you will not meet your unrealistic production stabdards. This means that you will be threatened daily with termination. It also means that you will be followed and watched while on your route. U.P.S. checks 26 different "U.P.S. methods" every time the truck stops. If you piss off management, you can be sure that they will find a "UPS method" that you missed. ( I finally started taking my lunch, drove streets like I lived there, and treated people with respect. Now I am fired for a VERY minor "offense" This is after going over 10 yrs. without using a sick day & over 20 yrs. of safe driving. Now replaced with new driver at half my hourly rate & no vaction time. Oh, I did hire an attorney. UPS sent 4 attorneys, a district manager, a center managere and a human resource person. They kept posponing & delaying for 4 yrs. until I could not afford to continue...
 27th of Jun, 2010 by   son of Jerel +2 Votes
I agree UPS is very abusive work enivorment. I'm threaten with termination everyday I go to work. F*&^ing fire me, I will not quit and give UPS the satisfaction of me quiting.
 18th of Jul, 2010 by   M0mmy0f2 +1 Votes
Manager of UPS we have not gotten paid in 3 months!!! Regional Managers on headed to head quarters, we're looking for other jobs in this economy we have not choice
 20th of Sep, 2010 by   Notapuppet +1 Votes
Agree 100%, Safe Working Methods a joke, Job Methods a joke they don't care how you do it make your numbers.

OSHA compliance, what is that? Management from the top down NEEDS a financial slap, HARD. They are arrogant, and stupid. I can just hope and pray some nice federal OSHA attorneys take on the giant. The lets see whose checkbook is bigger.

It would be cheaper to fix all your centers to 100% OSHA compliant then pay that bill.
UNITED PARCEL SERVICE... WAKE UP AND STOP BEING STUPID.
 2nd of Feb, 2011 by   FreeFromUPS +1 Votes
Couldn't agree more strongly with the sentiments. I was not in Operations nor do I live in the US but I worked for UPS for more than ten years and I cannot stress how serious and insidious the bullying and harrassment is in a group setting and how utterly terrifying it is if they get you alone. THEY ARE AN OUTRAGE and I look fwd to making my case public. They will never be in the Top 100 companies again. Evil evil greedy people.
 28th of Mar, 2011 by   upsgurl +1 Votes
Oh my! HOW right you are!!! I was told by an on car sup in confidence that they are taught to make us mad so we work harder, faster, etc...and don't pay any attention to their saftey pep talks...they are just to cover themselves...after having an accident they say, "we discussed this in the morning meeting", but they don't take into account that you have 500 packages to deliver in a rural rte area that covers 200 miles with dirt roads, goat trails, sleet, ice, snow drifts that are OVER the truck, or 105 degree weather. One woman in an air conditioned office told a fellow worker of mine, "You drivers have it made. You get to wear shorts, ride around all day, have your doors open..." . My friend replied, "Lady, let me take your desk out in the middle of the steaming asphalt parking lot for a couple hours and park you there with 100 packages that weigh 75 or more pounds that you need to lift and take across that parking lot." :) "That will give you a clue as to how "made we have it" and OH you can wear your shorts too! LMFAO
 25th of Jul, 2011 by   Delt1003 +1 Votes
Hey UPS. Stop torturing my Husband. I was just informed his new supervisor was told to follow him and his co workers. This is suck. They are giving them more and more work. They don't hire anyone after someone retires or leaves. They are piled with inconsistant workloads every day, which prevents the driver from servicing their regular rout customers. He comes home exhausted from the excessive work and mad from being belittled over his computer all day. My husband is one of the neatest people. He is thorough. Even when he is home fixing something around the house, all his tools are laid out neatly. He then puts it all back neatly. He never sits down on the weekends, he is always keeping busy so it is very hard for me to buy that he is "slacking off" or "stealing time" while on the rout. Especially in 90 degree heat with no air conditioner in the truck. Or int he winter with insufficient heat. And the union needs to step it up. They threaten but do nothing. How about taking UPS to court for breech of contract on the excessive overtime complaints. This is bull shit. If my husband drops on the job I am suing everybody!!! And the way UPS is stressing him out he will never make 30 years. He has been there 24 yrs. so far and even since I met him things changed. He went from 100 stops with pickups to 150 stops with pickups. This in the 8 years. And half the time as I mentioned it isn't even his rout. It's all over the place and now they want a pick up commitment thing where the get the package within 15 min of the pickup time. How the hell is he supposed to do that when you gave him his and some other guys pickups today??? So if there are 8 people that want a 4;30 pick up how are you supposed to do all of them in 15 min? Nice UPS. How about the big corporate ass holes with NBA's get out and get their hands dirty and ride a rout for a month instead of worrying about theoretical "Numbers". Number mean shit when your customers are poorly services and your employees are half dead.
Pissed Off.
 3rd of Aug, 2011 by   ruthieb1 +2 Votes
I have worked at UPS for 30 years, and every year it gets worse. The turn around is horrible and no one gets trained properly. The mistakes at my center alone are crazy. Now they have smart post which is the stupidest thing I ever heard of and they don't want to give the centers extra time to do it.
Safety first, but our working conditions are very bad. They keep cutting my hours and threatening my boss to do more pieces per hour. They don't care about customer service or their employees, they only care about numbers!
I was in the office one day and heard a conference call, it sounded like Marine boot camp!
I do a very good job, but keep getting pushed to do more. At 55 I'm out of there.
 5th of Nov, 2011 by   gso nc UPS +1 Votes
UPS is horrible! I stay because of the benefits and pension but everyday is a living hell. 17 years and I am a female-all people r required to do he same physical work and the situation is VERY unsafe; they have come up with fake safety numbers. If injured u r told it is ur fault and try to hide the injury-everyone gets injured there. I became very involved with the union to try to help make a difference and I have had some good results-in terms of mgmt. I believe I have been retaliated against in every way possible; they just leave me alone now. I work at a safe speed-I know its not a production job, a supervisor(contractually) can no over-supervise. All I can say is work at a safe pace, keep your mouth shut and file grievances for breaches of contract-many things r covered in the contract. Its a horrible place but try not to let it get to you-file grievances when wronged and just keep making money.
 7th of Feb, 2012 by   Driver_Steve +1 Votes
As a 25 yr. retired UPS worker, one bit of advice. If you ever have a injury, even if it seems minor at the time, ALWAYS fill out a accident report that day. UPS supervisors will often tell you to wait until the next day to see if it is serious. Don't fall for that . If a accident report is not filed on the day of the incident, you are out of luck. Sometimes it may be nothing, but always file a report to be on the safe side.

Voter Fraud