logo

Bid4assets.com
Untrustable place
2. (30 mins ago)
LG refrigerator
Anyone who bought an LG Refrigerator has run into this problem
3. (1 hr 26 mins ago)

Posted:    mrhockey1959

Employee horror story

United Parcel Service
Missouri
I have been reading many of the complaints that are included in this site and would like to share and sympathize. I worked for UPS from 1985 until 2002 as a delivery driver. UPS changed dramatically after the death of its founder Jim Casey in 1987. From that day forward nothing mattered to management other than the almighty dollar. Customer service is a joke. Employees are treated like slaves. Working conditions are third world at best. UPS had a solid reputation during the late 80's and early 90's but there was a dramatic shift to the bottom line at all costs. Early on management was promoted from within but as all companies move toward a lower wage this trend stopped. This is by far the worst place I ever worked in my life. Supervisors who are in way over their heads is the norm. Safety is a afterthought. Most centers need to be audited by OSHA. But employees who speak up or take action are targeted for suspension and termination. Work weeks of 55+ hours for drivers is a regular occurrence. Let me explain in detail. As a driver you could start work at 8:30am and will not be off the street until 9:30 or 10:00pm. Fatigue is commonplace. During my time I nodded off routinely when I was driving. Safety at UPS is a smokescreen. Prozac is taken like candy by drivers, divorce is ramped, hypertension is common, production levels are unrealistic, management is unskilled and combative, and injury is considered weakness and lazy. I spent 17 years at this "hell hole" and was paid very well for my services. But I came to the realization that it was just not worth it. I quit and am happier for it. Most complaints that you may have are a direct result of a poorly managed company where stress is used as a tool for greater production, no matter what the cost to employee or consumer.
Comments United States Movement & Delivery
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of Feb, 2010 by   AirlineCustomerCareManager +1 Votes
Always good to hear from the "inside"... I often wonder about the drivers and I hear stories about how they can't go home until they have finished their deliveries for the day.
 1st of Mar, 2010 by   gwabble +1 Votes
I have been a customer of UPS for twenty-nine years and all I can say is the former UPS employee from Missouri is absolutely right about the goings on behind the scenes at UPS. It is the same way in Alabama as well.
 6th of Jun, 2010 by   rhonda jackson +1 Votes
I am a current employee at UPS and I must agree 101 percent that it is truly HELL WORKING IN THERE! I can't say it better than the last former Missouri employee. Conditions of working there is HORRIBLE! Safety is definitely last priority, although they would have you think otherwise. The ONLY good thing that they offer you there, that may sound good, is their benefit package which is Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Which you need to have if you are going to work at UPS because it is a very dangerous job to work for considering all the metal and heavy packages/ boxes that come through there! Their main concern is PRODUCTIVITY, not their employees.
 21st of Jun, 2010 by   Driver_Steve +1 Votes
As a 25 yr. U.P.S. driver, I wholeheartedly agree. U.P.S. talks about safety, but as a driver I had unobtainable production standards. I drove around railroad crossing arms, sped through residential streets, skipped my meal, and when I returned to the U.P.S. building I was still harassed for being too slow, and threatened with termination. I am grateful that I only hit some family pets, and not a child.
 23rd of Jun, 2010 by   Driver_Steve +2 Votes
@ Stealth Pilot, I'm sure it would seem that it is as simple as your comments. The main problem is that U.P.S. will tell you - -take your lunch, drive the posted speed, etc. The problems occur when the company knows full well that if you do this, you will not meet your unrealistic production stabdards. This means that you will be threatened daily with termination. It also means that you will be followed and watched while on your route. U.P.S. checks 26 different "U.P.S. methods" every time the truck stops. If you piss off management, you can be sure that they will find a "UPS method" that you missed. ( I finally started taking my lunch, drove streets like I lived there, and treated people with respect. Now I am fired for a VERY minor "offense" This is after going over 10 yrs. without using a sick day & over 20 yrs. of safe driving. Now replaced with new driver at half my hourly rate & no vaction time. Oh, I did hire an attorney. UPS sent 4 attorneys, a district manager, a center managere and a human resource person. They kept posponing & delaying for 4 yrs. until I could not afford to continue...
 27th of Jun, 2010 by   son of Jerel +2 Votes
I agree UPS is very abusive work enivorment. I'm threaten with termination everyday I go to work. F*&^ing fire me, I will not quit and give UPS the satisfaction of me quiting.
 18th of Jul, 2010 by   M0mmy0f2 +1 Votes
Manager of UPS we have not gotten paid in 3 months!!! Regional Managers on headed to head quarters, we're looking for other jobs in this economy we have not choice
 20th of Sep, 2010 by   Notapuppet +1 Votes
Agree 100%, Safe Working Methods a joke, Job Methods a joke they don't care how you do it make your numbers.

OSHA compliance, what is that? Management from the top down NEEDS a financial slap, HARD. They are arrogant, and stupid. I can just hope and pray some nice federal OSHA attorneys take on the giant. The lets see whose checkbook is bigger.

It would be cheaper to fix all your centers to 100% OSHA compliant then pay that bill.
UNITED PARCEL SERVICE... WAKE UP AND STOP BEING STUPID.
 2nd of Feb, 2011 by   FreeFromUPS +1 Votes
Couldn't agree more strongly with the sentiments. I was not in Operations nor do I live in the US but I worked for UPS for more than ten years and I cannot stress how serious and insidious the bullying and harrassment is in a group setting and how utterly terrifying it is if they get you alone. THEY ARE AN OUTRAGE and I look fwd to making my case public. They will never be in the Top 100 companies again. Evil evil greedy people.
 28th of Mar, 2011 by   upsgurl +1 Votes
Oh my! HOW right you are!!! I was told by an on car sup in confidence that they are taught to make us mad so we work harder, faster, etc...and don't pay any attention to their saftey pep talks...they are just to cover themselves...after having an accident they say, "we discussed this in the morning meeting", but they don't take into account that you have 500 packages to deliver in a rural rte area that covers 200 miles with dirt roads, goat trails, sleet, ice, snow drifts that are OVER the truck, or 105 degree weather. One woman in an air conditioned office told a fellow worker of mine, "You drivers have it made. You get to wear shorts, ride around all day, have your doors open..." . My friend replied, "Lady, let me take your desk out in the middle of the steaming asphalt parking lot for a couple hours and park you there with 100 packages that weigh 75 or more pounds that you need to lift and take across that parking lot." :) "That will give you a clue as to how "made we have it" and OH you can wear your shorts too! LMFAO
 25th of Jul, 2011 by   Delt1003 +1 Votes
Hey UPS. Stop torturing my Husband. I was just informed his new supervisor was told to follow him and his co workers. This is suck. They are giving them more and more work. They don't hire anyone after someone retires or leaves. They are piled with inconsistant workloads every day, which prevents the driver from servicing their regular rout customers. He comes home exhausted from the excessive work and mad from being belittled over his computer all day. My husband is one of the neatest people. He is thorough. Even when he is home fixing something around the house, all his tools are laid out neatly. He then puts it all back neatly. He never sits down on the weekends, he is always keeping busy so it is very hard for me to buy that he is "slacking off" or "stealing time" while on the rout. Especially in 90 degree heat with no air conditioner in the truck. Or int he winter with insufficient heat. And the union needs to step it up. They threaten but do nothing. How about taking UPS to court for breech of contract on the excessive overtime complaints. This is bull shit. If my husband drops on the job I am suing everybody!!! And the way UPS is stressing him out he will never make 30 years. He has been there 24 yrs. so far and even since I met him things changed. He went from 100 stops with pickups to 150 stops with pickups. This in the 8 years. And half the time as I mentioned it isn't even his rout. It's all over the place and now they want a pick up commitment thing where the get the package within 15 min of the pickup time. How the hell is he supposed to do that when you gave him his and some other guys pickups today??? So if there are 8 people that want a 4;30 pick up how are you supposed to do all of them in 15 min? Nice UPS. How about the big corporate ass holes with NBA's get out and get their hands dirty and ride a rout for a month instead of worrying about theoretical "Numbers". Number mean shit when your customers are poorly services and your employees are half dead.
Pissed Off.
 3rd of Aug, 2011 by   ruthieb1 +2 Votes
I have worked at UPS for 30 years, and every year it gets worse. The turn around is horrible and no one gets trained properly. The mistakes at my center alone are crazy. Now they have smart post which is the stupidest thing I ever heard of and they don't want to give the centers extra time to do it.
Safety first, but our working conditions are very bad. They keep cutting my hours and threatening my boss to do more pieces per hour. They don't care about customer service or their employees, they only care about numbers!
I was in the office one day and heard a conference call, it sounded like Marine boot camp!
I do a very good job, but keep getting pushed to do more. At 55 I'm out of there.
 5th of Nov, 2011 by   gso nc UPS +1 Votes
UPS is horrible! I stay because of the benefits and pension but everyday is a living hell. 17 years and I am a female-all people r required to do he same physical work and the situation is VERY unsafe; they have come up with fake safety numbers. If injured u r told it is ur fault and try to hide the injury-everyone gets injured there. I became very involved with the union to try to help make a difference and I have had some good results-in terms of mgmt. I believe I have been retaliated against in every way possible; they just leave me alone now. I work at a safe speed-I know its not a production job, a supervisor(contractually) can no over-supervise. All I can say is work at a safe pace, keep your mouth shut and file grievances for breaches of contract-many things r covered in the contract. Its a horrible place but try not to let it get to you-file grievances when wronged and just keep making money.
 7th of Feb, 2012 by   Driver_Steve +1 Votes
As a 25 yr. retired UPS worker, one bit of advice. If you ever have a injury, even if it seems minor at the time, ALWAYS fill out a accident report that day. UPS supervisors will often tell you to wait until the next day to see if it is serious. Don't fall for that . If a accident report is not filed on the day of the incident, you are out of luck. Sometimes it may be nothing, but always file a report to be on the safe side.
 7th of May, 2012 by   Married to UPS +1 Votes
From what I have read above I am married to the enemy. My husband was recently promoted to center manager. I hear all of the same from him as it has been made very clear that if he doesn't bring the numbers that he too will lose his job. He works 60+ hours per week, is there by 2 am and home by 6pm if he's lucky. He then must be on the phone or computer still working. He was a happy man when I met him but now he is too stressed and exhausted to be part of our family. Our children are 5 and 3 and miss him so often. Our marriage doesn't stand a chance if things don't change. He has become callouse and now treats me as if I am an employee. Constant criticism, I will never be able to meet his expectations. The most heart wrenching part is that this person whom I see so little and rarely converse with was once excited about life. Now he's a shell of the man he was even just a couple of years ago. Tired, angry, depressed, without time to care for himself physically or emotionally. I miss him. I want to divorce UPS. He occasionally has an enlightened momement and talk of leaving but in the end that company pulls out their carrot and stick by mentioning the possibility of more mo ey or better conditions. Rarely do these things happen and when they do that do not last and the hostility returns. I have recently started my own thing - I won't be using UPS!!!
Thanks UPS for ruining my marriage, stealing a father and slowly killing the love of my life.
 7th of May, 2012 by   Driver_Steve +1 Votes
I am sorry about your husband. I have seen many very nice people become angry, hostile, even susicial employees that prior to going into operations management were some of my best friends. There is almost no way around this. It is almost like selling your soul for some extra $$$. It is very rare that someone can be in management and not change into a total jerk. With some luck, he may be able to stick it out and hopefully get a job with Federal Express or some other trucking company soon that will treat him like a human being.. He will most likely take a pay cut, but I would rather do that than be hated and also miserable at my work. One last bit of advice would be to save as much money as possible because UPS loves to get managers in financial binds so they have to stay with the company.
 18th of May, 2012 by   Driver 123 +1 Votes
I worked for UPS for thirty years, they are ass holes, everythink above is true, and more, when i retired after thirty years, i didn't expect a gold watch, i didn't even get a letter of thanks. i sent the ceo of UPS a letter telling him of this, part timers that get in thirty days get a t-shirt. i get nothing, the driver is dirt under there feet. I told the ceo thet he should go on under cover boss. Do you think he will? His title is only a shield that a weak man hides behind
 25th of Aug, 2012 by   ricko1952 0 Votes
I totally agree I worked for the boss from hell, anytime you failed to bring in the numbers or confronted him in any way you were made the target, you were followed and harassed to you submitted to what ever he wanted. I finally had to retire early after 28 years of service as the stress just became too much. It is a shame how employees are treated and safety is a joke and it is nothing but the numbers and where your center rates on their "score card " for managers.
 17th of Sep, 2012 by   mrs Dee 0 Votes
UPS does pay very well...but they treat their employees/drivers like HELL!! My husband has been a driver for 17 yrs for UPS...and they dont care about anyone's well being. My husband has had heat strokes because of them working him to death!! They dont care how hot it is!! He called his boss and let him know that the could not move and was cramping and his boss told him to keep moving and not to stop because he would not make "9 5"...someone from a business my husband was delivering to took the phone from my husband and told his boss that there was something wrong with him and they were going to call and ambulance. His boss was angry!! Husband got to the hospital and he was diagnosed with heat stroke. He also had a time when he was having chest pains during the heat and he called his boss and his boss once again told him to keep working and not to stop...husband called me to let me know about his chest pain and left arm pain...I told him to go to the nearest hospital...his boss was ticked once again! UPS does not care about any of its employees! All they care about is the almighty dollar!! I know his knees and back have been damaged from this job and stress beyond belief!! and if you turn in a "grievance form" that ticks them off...they will be out to get you.
 10th of Dec, 2012 by   johnny88 0 Votes
The drivers are treated better than the rest of the employees and they act like snobs and treat their loaders like crap. They also urinate all over the back of the truck and it spreads bacteria therefore spreading pink eye throughout the plant. The management tell racist jokes amongst themselves yet if you are white they tell you that a College degree is required to get an administration job but if you are Hispanic or African American this requirement is wavered. This creates racial tension throughout as well. The management are bullies and they plant mis-loads on drivers trucks then write them up. They do it to write up the loaders so they can collect documentation on them and fire them when they are getting paid to much. They would rather fire a worker getting 12.00 and hour and hire a new one for 8 something. They also intentionally mis-sort packages to keep from promoting the sorters that are hard workers and want to move toward an easier position. The girls who date the boss are promoted quickly. If you get hurt you are refused medical treatment until after your shift and then you are threatened that if you file a claim they will fire you because you cost the company 10k. They also make you work in trucks with chemical spills and no one can provide you with the information of any spills. No one knows what a MSDS sheet is. I knew someone who lost their voice for several weeks unloading a truck with a chemical spill. There is no sexual harassment guidelines or education and their are very little repercussions for inappropriate behavior.

Consumer Tip of the Day - Weapons of Fraud