Enjoy all the features! Create an account or Sign In

United Parcel Service Contacts & Informations

Posted:

Employee horror story

Missouri
I have been reading many of the complaints that are included in this site and would like to share and sympathize. I worked for UPS from 1985 until 2002 as a delivery driver. UPS changed dramatically after the death of its founder Jim Casey in 1987. From that day forward nothing mattered to management other than the almighty dollar. Customer service is a joke. Employees are treated like slaves. Working conditions are third world at best. UPS had a solid reputation during the late 80's and early 90's but there was a dramatic shift to the bottom line at all costs. Early on management was promoted from within but as all companies move toward a lower wage this trend stopped. This is by far the worst place I ever worked in my life. Supervisors who are in way over their heads is the norm. Safety is a afterthought. Most centers need to be audited by OSHA. But employees who speak up or take action are targeted for suspension and termination. Work weeks of 55+ hours for drivers is a regular occurrence. Let me explain in detail. As a driver you could start work at 8:30am and will not be off the street until 9:30 or 10:00pm. Fatigue is commonplace. During my time I nodded off routinely when I was driving. Safety at UPS is a smokescreen. Prozac is taken like candy by drivers, divorce is ramped, hypertension is common, production levels are unrealistic, management is unskilled and combative, and injury is considered weakness and lazy. I spent 17 years at this "hell hole" and was paid very well for my services. But I came to the realization that it was just not worth it. I quit and am happier for it. Most complaints that you may have are a direct result of a poorly managed company where stress is used as a tool for greater production, no matter what the cost to employee or consumer.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Movement & Delivery
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Feb, 2008 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - Overcharges!
5656 Casino Circle
Fort Worth
Texas
Phone: 817-483-9911

UPS has a policy of manipulating shipments from infrequent users and adding back door charges for problems that do not occur.
 12th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - Shady business
ups.com

UPS left no notice of their visit for attempted delivery. The only way I knew was they tried to call via my condo foyer phone which goes to my cell phone. The next day they aborted delivery even though I was home because I called to give an alternate address in case they missed me. What shabby service. I will now always ask a potential seller how they will ship before I purchase. I will never use UPS again.
 14th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
Hi Kevin:

Wow - sorry to hear you've had a real problem getting your shipment delivered. I work with UPS Public Relations and I'd like to help. Please contact me at upsfeedback@ups.com with your contact details and tracking number.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Debbie Curtis-Magley
UPS Public Relations
 1st of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I worked for UPS for three years, two and half as a supervisor (Upstate New York). They break every labor law imaginable. I had to file a sexual harassment suit when my boss called me on a vacation week. 3 times in 24 hours, two of which were at 1am and 3am and he called me a "f-in cu*t". They have such uneducated package handlers working for them that they don't think anyone knows the law, and that they can treat people like dirt. And it's sad that they get away with it.
They've got so much money to brainwash people with advertising that surprise, it works! Advertising and brainwashing is the name of the game now'a'days. Not laws.
I would NEVER ship or support this company in ANY way.
To prove a point managers would throw dell computers around the warehouse. They would scream that they would f***ing kill employees every single night. They would talk about f***ing females in front of the 10 females in the entire warehouse.
Seriously, it is the grossest company I have ever known of.
If any employee brought in a camera, or if anyone actually did a real audit of UPS in upstate NY, they would be shut down without a doubt.
I would testify in anyway I could be of assistance.

Oh yeah, and concerning customers. They refused to give out a number. I worked in the office sometimes with clerks, and seriously customers are an annoyance and joke to them.
 16th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - Lies, lies, lies
ups.com

UPS has lied about two delivery attempts they never made, and then sent the item back to the sender AFTER I have called customer service to ask why a second attempt was never made, and specifically requested for delivery the next day!
 25th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - Terrible experience
ups.com

When did ups start charging an out of area charge with each box. I went and shipped 3 boxes and thought it seemed rather high. The reciept they give you now shows a breakdown. The first thing I noticed was a 5.00 charge per box for out of area. Then the fuel charge which don't ever remember having to pay. I think if your paying for fule what difference if you are shipping out of area or rural. What the heck...
 29th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
Same problem different day on help sent back to shipper witch is kind of funny UPS is the shipping company the company who sent the package to me is the sender not the shipper ?
They don't help and should have used the mail !!!

M Carroll
West Chester PA
 14th of Feb, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Always good to hear from the "inside"... I often wonder about the drivers and I hear stories about how they can't go home until they have finished their deliveries for the day.
 1st of Mar, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I have been a customer of UPS for twenty-nine years and all I can say is the former UPS employee from Missouri is absolutely right about the goings on behind the scenes at UPS. It is the same way in Alabama as well.
 24th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - Awful and dirty service
ups.com

UPS Delivered two large truck tires on a rainy day; tires arrived at the door wet. Both of the tires was also full of fresh dog crape that I noticed after rolling them through my home to the garage. Soiling my carpet, my hands, and just stunk up home. It took me, my wife, and child three hours to clean up the mess.
 25th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - The UPS driver didn't actually notice me as he rolled through a stop sign as he was too busy texting on his cell phone
ups.com

The UPS driver didn't actually notice me as he rolled through a stop sign as he was too busy texting on his cell phone. Not only does this have the potential for disaster but here in Austin it also illegal. This guy is a disaster and a danger to the people of Austin.
 6th of Jun, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I am a current employee at UPS and I must agree 101 percent that it is truly HELL WORKING IN THERE! I can't say it better than the last former Missouri employee. Conditions of working there is HORRIBLE! Safety is definitely last priority, although they would have you think otherwise. The ONLY good thing that they offer you there, that may sound good, is their benefit package which is Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Which you need to have if you are going to work at UPS because it is a very dangerous job to work for considering all the metal and heavy packages/ boxes that come through there! Their main concern is PRODUCTIVITY, not their employees.
 19th of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - I will now be going back to the post office where I am treated with respect
ups.com

I dropped off a package at the store near the Loop in Kissimmee FL only to have it delivered back to me. The owner was not there on Saturday and when I told him that he told me nastly that I should go to another UPS store! I will now be going back to the post office where I am treated with respect.
 21st of Jun, 2010 by    +1 Votes
As a 25 yr. U.P.S. driver, I wholeheartedly agree. U.P.S. talks about safety, but as a driver I had unobtainable production standards. I drove around railroad crossing arms, sped through residential streets, skipped my meal, and when I returned to the U.P.S. building I was still harassed for being too slow, and threatened with termination. I am grateful that I only hit some family pets, and not a child.
 23rd of Jun, 2010 by    +2 Votes
@ Stealth Pilot, I'm sure it would seem that it is as simple as your comments. The main problem is that U.P.S. will tell you - -take your lunch, drive the posted speed, etc. The problems occur when the company knows full well that if you do this, you will not meet your unrealistic production stabdards. This means that you will be threatened daily with termination. It also means that you will be followed and watched while on your route. U.P.S. checks 26 different "U.P.S. methods" every time the truck stops. If you piss off management, you can be sure that they will find a "UPS method" that you missed. ( I finally started taking my lunch, drove streets like I lived there, and treated people with respect. Now I am fired for a VERY minor "offense" This is after going over 10 yrs. without using a sick day & over 20 yrs. of safe driving. Now replaced with new driver at half my hourly rate & no vaction time. Oh, I did hire an attorney. UPS sent 4 attorneys, a district manager, a center managere and a human resource person. They kept posponing & delaying for 4 yrs. until I could not afford to continue...
 27th of Jun, 2010 by    +2 Votes
I agree UPS is very abusive work enivorment. I'm threaten with termination everyday I go to work. F*&^ing fire me, I will not quit and give UPS the satisfaction of me quiting.
 9th of Jul, 2010 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - UPS service in my neighborhood is horrible
ups.com

UPS service in this neighborhood is horrible. The drivers claim to make attempted deliveries for which they have never come. They have also left packages at addresses which do not exist. I have been trying to have a package delvered for one month now. Every time I call, there is a different explanation; it is being held, it was mis-sorted, etc. I have never seen anything like this.
 18th of Jul, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Manager of UPS we have not gotten paid in 3 months!!! Regional Managers on headed to head quarters, we're looking for other jobs in this economy we have not choice
 20th of Sep, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Agree 100%, Safe Working Methods a joke, Job Methods a joke they don't care how you do it make your numbers.

OSHA compliance, what is that? Management from the top down NEEDS a financial slap, HARD. They are arrogant, and stupid. I can just hope and pray some nice federal OSHA attorneys take on the giant. The lets see whose checkbook is bigger.

It would be cheaper to fix all your centers to 100% OSHA compliant then pay that bill.
UNITED PARCEL SERVICE... WAKE UP AND STOP BEING STUPID.
 2nd of Feb, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Couldn't agree more strongly with the sentiments. I was not in Operations nor do I live in the US but I worked for UPS for more than ten years and I cannot stress how serious and insidious the bullying and harrassment is in a group setting and how utterly terrifying it is if they get you alone. THEY ARE AN OUTRAGE and I look fwd to making my case public. They will never be in the Top 100 companies again. Evil evil greedy people.

United Parcel Service Logo United Parcel Service Logo United Parcel Service