Posted:

Employee horror story

4.7
Missouri
I have been reading many of the complaints that are included in this site and would like to share and sympathize. I worked for UPS from 1985 until 2002 as a delivery driver. UPS changed dramatically after the death of its founder Jim Casey in 1987. From that day forward nothing mattered to management other than the almighty dollar. Customer service is a joke. Employees are treated like slaves. Working conditions are third world at best. UPS had a solid reputation during the late 80's and early 90's but there was a dramatic shift to the bottom line at all costs. Early on management was promoted from within but as all companies move toward a lower wage this trend stopped. This is by far the worst place I ever worked in my life. Supervisors who are in way over their heads is the norm. Safety is a afterthought. Most centers need to be audited by OSHA. But employees who speak up or take action are targeted for suspension and termination. Work weeks of 55+ hours for drivers is a regular occurrence. Let me explain in detail. As a driver you could start work at 8:30am and will not be off the street until 9:30 or 10:00pm. Fatigue is commonplace. During my time I nodded off routinely when I was driving. Safety at UPS is a smokescreen. Prozac is taken like candy by drivers, divorce is ramped, hypertension is common, production levels are unrealistic, management is unskilled and combative, and injury is considered weakness and lazy. I spent 17 years at this "hell hole" and was paid very well for my services. But I came to the realization that it was just not worth it. I quit and am happier for it. Most complaints that you may have are a direct result of a poorly managed company where stress is used as a tool for greater production, no matter what the cost to employee or consumer.
Complaint comments Comments (85) Complaint country United States Complaint category Movement & Delivery

Comments

17th of Feb, 2008 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - Overcharges!
5656 Casino Circle
Fort Worth
Texas
Phone: 817-483-9911

UPS has a policy of manipulating shipments from infrequent users and adding back door charges for problems that do not occur.
 7th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - DAMAGED ITEM
UNITED PARCEL SERVICE

Bought electronic item on ebay. It was shipped via U P S & extra insurance from a separate company was purchased to cover the $589.00 item . Item was damaged in shipment & claim filed . U P S said they only pay insurance claim to SHIPPER & that I must send item back to shipper . This was done & shipper was PAID . Then shipper would not reimburse me any money & would not return the item . U P S was no help as they FULFILLED their obligatuion .

The seller of the item turned out to be a thief also as promising to send money & later promising to send item were just lies .
 12th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - Shady business
ups.com

UPS left no notice of their visit for attempted delivery. The only way I knew was they tried to call via my condo foyer phone which goes to my cell phone. The next day they aborted delivery even though I was home because I called to give an alternate address in case they missed me. What shabby service. I will now always ask a potential seller how they will ship before I purchase. I will never use UPS again.
 14th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
Hi Kevin:

Wow - sorry to hear you've had a real problem getting your shipment delivered. I work with UPS Public Relations and I'd like to help. Please contact me at upsfeedback@ups.com with your contact details and tracking number.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Debbie Curtis-Magley
UPS Public Relations
 1st of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I worked for UPS for three years, two and half as a supervisor (Upstate New York). They break every labor law imaginable. I had to file a sexual harassment suit when my boss called me on a vacation week. 3 times in 24 hours, two of which were at 1am and 3am and he called me a "f-in cu*t". They have such uneducated package handlers working for them that they don't think anyone knows the law, and that they can treat people like dirt. And it's sad that they get away with it.
They've got so much money to brainwash people with advertising that surprise, it works! Advertising and brainwashing is the name of the game now'a'days. Not laws.
I would NEVER ship or support this company in ANY way.
To prove a point managers would throw dell computers around the warehouse. They would scream that they would f***ing kill employees every single night. They would talk about f***ing females in front of the 10 females in the entire warehouse.
Seriously, it is the grossest company I have ever known of.
If any employee brought in a camera, or if anyone actually did a real audit of UPS in upstate NY, they would be shut down without a doubt.
I would testify in anyway I could be of assistance.

Oh yeah, and concerning customers. They refused to give out a number. I worked in the office sometimes with clerks, and seriously customers are an annoyance and joke to them.
 16th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - Lies, lies, lies
ups.com

UPS has lied about two delivery attempts they never made, and then sent the item back to the sender AFTER I have called customer service to ask why a second attempt was never made, and specifically requested for delivery the next day!
 25th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - Simply awful
ups.com

We are in Portland, OR and the weather has been poor. I paid for 2-day delivery with guaranteed arrival today, December 24.

Through the online tracking service, I was able to see that both purchases arrived at UPS Portland at noon yesterday, December 23. It is now after 5p on guaranteed delivery date, December 24, and nothing. I rechecked the UPS tracking site and my delivery has now been moved to two days from now, the day AFTER Christmas!

I understand that weather is bad, however, FedEx and the U.S. Post Office (USPS) have been making deliveries since yesterday, and USPS is even making deliveries on Christmas Day to make sure everyone gets their deliveries in time. If FedEx and USPS have found a way to meet their delivery promises, then why isn’t it important enough to UPS to find a way to do the same?!!
 25th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - Terrible experience
ups.com

When did ups start charging an out of area charge with each box. I went and shipped 3 boxes and thought it seemed rather high. The reciept they give you now shows a breakdown. The first thing I noticed was a 5.00 charge per box for out of area. Then the fuel charge which don't ever remember having to pay. I think if your paying for fule what difference if you are shipping out of area or rural. What the heck...
 29th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
Same problem different day on help sent back to shipper witch is kind of funny UPS is the shipping company the company who sent the package to me is the sender not the shipper ?
They don't help and should have used the mail !!!

M Carroll
West Chester PA
 2nd of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - Just awful
ups.com

I just cannot figure out what is going on with this company (UPS)? They used to be one of my favorite means of shipping. I always received my packages 2-3 days like clockwork for years. Now they're just awful! The 3 out of 4 of the packages I had shipped to me this past month (Dec-Jan 2009) through them were "Rescheduled" and arrived late. From here on until something changes I will use any other shipping service possible until they get their act together. Most of these items I needed right away and it literally ruined my whole week having to wait over the weekend until the next week to get them!
 14th of Feb, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Always good to hear from the "inside"... I often wonder about the drivers and I hear stories about how they can't go home until they have finished their deliveries for the day.
 1st of Mar, 2010 by    +2 Votes
I have been a customer of UPS for twenty-nine years and all I can say is the former UPS employee from Missouri is absolutely right about the goings on behind the scenes at UPS. It is the same way in Alabama as well.
 2nd of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - Improper packaging of clutch
ups.com

I had a UPS store package and ship my clutch for my semi-truck. My son-in-law carried the clutch to their package area, it was heavy. The store employee packaged with my preprinted label. It was delivered damaged/broken/non repairable. Look's like it was dropped. We filed a claim, which has taken over a month to get any results. UPS is ONLY giving me a $100.00 for a $1500.00 replacement clutch. UPS maybe somewhat be cheaper than other shipper, but they don't stand behind their stores or franchise's. They are at fault for the damage because of improper packaging. If you are going to ship UPS make sure you package your own products, insurance it to the max. Maybe you might get lucky for any damage, receive full value not a crumby $100.
 6th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - I was threatened with extra charges or having the desk disposed of
ups.com

My daughter paid an extra $100 for delivery of a desk to a residence. The desk is one she moved by herself; she is athletic, 5'8" and a normal build. They first quoted her one price, but then changed the amount to double that after she agreed to have them ship the desk. She was leaving the country and could not spend days trying to get them to honor the first quote. Finally, they honored it, and agreed to ship the desk to our front door.

The San Francisco person who helped her palletize the desk was FANTASTIC and HELPFUL. They were running late but still made sure to get the desk that day because she was leaving town. Excellent.

In DENVER, SERVICE WAS THE WORST OF ANY DELIVERY I HAVE HAD IN 10 YEARS. I was told that the desk would be LEFT IN THE PULL-THROUGH DRIVEWAY IN THE SNOW, because they aren't "allowed" to bring it up two steps to the door. IT WAS ONE STEP, OF LESS THAN 7" BUT HE CALLED IT TWO STEPS. I was then told I could sign the delivery slip NOW and accept any damage that may occur or they wouldn't even take it off the truck; rather they would take it back to the shipping center and "dispose" of it or charge me extra to bring it back.

WHAT A RIP OFF JOB. I think they were trying to get me to tip them to do their job. Had they been business-like, there would have been a tip. Instead, I was threatened with extra charges or having the desk disposed of.

It gets better - I am 56 years old and can move the desk with very little help. My husband had shoulder surgery, which is why my daughter paid extra to have it delivered to the house instead of a storage locker site. The desk fits in a bedroom and is not a huge piece of furniture.

To top it off, they then told me it weighed more than they realized. How did it gain weight between receiving and delivering it?

Brian, the "boss or dispatcher" was the one that threatened me. Thanks, Brian. I have built houses for a living, have lived in several countries and have moved a lot. Your name will always be remembered by me because of your attitude and threats. Exceeding bad service.

Our daughter, who is moving to Europe, was thinking of using your company for moving her other things. No way she will do it now. I called her at the airport to verify the terms of service while the delivery was here.

I have photos of the desk, the driveway, the steps. I would like to post those photos, also.
 24th of May, 2010 by    +1 Votes

United Parcel Service - Awful and dirty service
ups.com

UPS Delivered two large truck tires on a rainy day; tires arrived at the door wet. Both of the tires was also full of fresh dog crape that I noticed after rolling them through my home to the garage. Soiling my carpet, my hands, and just stunk up home. It took me, my wife, and child three hours to clean up the mess.
 25th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - The UPS driver didn't actually notice me as he rolled through a stop sign as he was too busy texting on his cell phone
ups.com

The UPS driver didn't actually notice me as he rolled through a stop sign as he was too busy texting on his cell phone. Not only does this have the potential for disaster but here in Austin it also illegal. This guy is a disaster and a danger to the people of Austin.
 6th of Jun, 2010 by    +2 Votes
I am a current employee at UPS and I must agree 101 percent that it is truly HELL WORKING IN THERE! I can't say it better than the last former Missouri employee. Conditions of working there is HORRIBLE! Safety is definitely last priority, although they would have you think otherwise. The ONLY good thing that they offer you there, that may sound good, is their benefit package which is Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Which you need to have if you are going to work at UPS because it is a very dangerous job to work for considering all the metal and heavy packages/ boxes that come through there! Their main concern is PRODUCTIVITY, not their employees.
 19th of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes

United Parcel Service - I will now be going back to the post office where I am treated with respect
ups.com

I dropped off a package at the store near the Loop in Kissimmee FL only to have it delivered back to me. The owner was not there on Saturday and when I told him that he told me nastly that I should go to another UPS store! I will now be going back to the post office where I am treated with respect.
 21st of Jun, 2010 by    +1 Votes
As a 25 yr. U.P.S. driver, I wholeheartedly agree. U.P.S. talks about safety, but as a driver I had unobtainable production standards. I drove around railroad crossing arms, sped through residential streets, skipped my meal, and when I returned to the U.P.S. building I was still harassed for being too slow, and threatened with termination. I am grateful that I only hit some family pets, and not a child.
 23rd of Jun, 2010 by    +2 Votes
@ Stealth Pilot, I'm sure it would seem that it is as simple as your comments. The main problem is that U.P.S. will tell you - -take your lunch, drive the posted speed, etc. The problems occur when the company knows full well that if you do this, you will not meet your unrealistic production stabdards. This means that you will be threatened daily with termination. It also means that you will be followed and watched while on your route. U.P.S. checks 26 different "U.P.S. methods" every time the truck stops. If you piss off management, you can be sure that they will find a "UPS method" that you missed. ( I finally started taking my lunch, drove streets like I lived there, and treated people with respect. Now I am fired for a VERY minor "offense" This is after going over 10 yrs. without using a sick day & over 20 yrs. of safe driving. Now replaced with new driver at half my hourly rate & no vaction time. Oh, I did hire an attorney. UPS sent 4 attorneys, a district manager, a center managere and a human resource person. They kept posponing & delaying for 4 yrs. until I could not afford to continue...

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree