TD Bank

Overdraft Fees?!?

4.55
TD Bank
New Jersey
I have been a Commerce Bank customer since 2004 and was very happy with everyhting. Then TD comes along and buys this good bank and turns everything into crap. Since when did they start charging debit card overdraft fees? Not only that, but the fees are astronomical! $140 overdraft fee? Are you kidding me? I tried calling but after 45 minutes of being on hold i gave up. Sent them a message via the website and no reply. I am begining my search for a new bank ASAP! TD BLOWS!
Complaint comments Comments (38) Complaint country United States Complaint category Banks

Comments

22nd of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
TD BANK has unfair banking practices. although they could not show me a negative balance, "they assured" me that the $210 they charged me for overdrafts in April 2010 was appropriate. Both my bank statement and the print out the bank gave me showed NO NEGATIVE BALANCES!!!

Now, May 2010, here they go again, another $175 in overdraft fees that they say I was in the negative except THEY COULD NOT SHOW ME ANY NEGATIVE BALANCES.

This cannot be legal. They can just take $585 from my account in 2 months without showing any proof that I EVER had a negative balance. There really needs to be a CLASS ACTION.

S. Ballew
Davie Florida
 23rd of Jul, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I was a customer to TD and I always have problem with any transaction with them .When i applied to HELOC (Home equity line of credit), they took longer time than usual and was running credit checks again and again within that their delayed loan closing. And then when i was refinancing the property, i was needed the subordination on HELOC. The whole stroy is so bad. They tell you that it takes 5 to 7 businessdays. But, they will ask for new new document and each time they say the turn around time is 3 to 5 business days. It will more than a month and by the time the lender to refiance lock gets expired. You got to pay for the re-locks without knowing the subordination. This sucks. Please do not choose subordination from TD. Please do not go for any transactions with TD.
 28th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
My issue with TD Bank is that they do not update their system in a timely manner. I had 5 debit card via paypal charges go through about 5 days after the fact.. I had thought these charges were already processed when in actuality they were not. My husband used my paypal debit card for gas an tolls an incidentals.. totaling about $50 in a matter of 4 days. I had thought these charges were already processed through TD.. turns out.. each charge (5 of them) when through last night putting me into the negative. I called and was told I'd be charged $35 per over draft plus the overdraft.. so now we're talking about $238 in fees.
I cannot believe that this is in any way legal to do this. In one night all 5 charges went through. If in one night I became overdrawn.. I should only be charged $35 ONCE not 5 frickin times. I am going to do some research and possibly file a complaint against this type of practice. It exudes nothing but greed on the part of the bank. Maybe a person could be more apt to keeping 'track' as some of the writers here say, if TD Bank would just have a current up to date system. I really does screw things up for many people and the reason behind it is so that TD bank can make a killing off the struggling people out there.
 15th of Oct, 2010 by    +1 Votes
TD Bank North is a Joke. I have been watching my account closely now since the frequency of their so called NSF. Like just yesterday I checked online and I was neg, I called and asked if I made a deposit early am would my account get charged. I was assured that I would not get charged, and low and behold I was charged. I had to call again and get it reversed. This is an ongoing issue with them as I see above from all of the other comlaints. I do know how to balance my check book and resent them trying to belittle me over the phone and through email. This Bank is just out to get more money from its customers. I have made me formal complaint online to the BBB and hope you all will do the same. Also I am in search of a new bank...Any suggestions on a bank that treats customers like people not like a CASH COW.
 20th of Oct, 2010 by    +1 Votes
TD Bank is running an interesting scam on the American public. Now that I've switched my account to a local credit union I notice that PayPal transfers, which typically took 5 days with TD, take one or two days with my credit union. PayPal would indicate that the transfer was "complete, " yet, oddly enough, TD Bank did not. Generally they wouldn't show the PP transfer as "complete" until after a debit had come in, allowing for an overdraft charge. Likewise with any deposited checks. Yet deposits of checks are available immediately with my credit union. Regis and Kelly should be ashamed of themselves for shilling for this crooked company. It's clear that TD is engaging in unethical procedures (probably not illegal since our own government is in on this scam).
 14th of Nov, 2010 by    -1 Votes
I'm well aware of the overdraft fees but the bigger issue is deceptive posting practices. They deliberately wait to post the overdrafts several days later (all at once) in order to collect astronomical fees. Case in point, I made three separate overdrafts for small amounts (7 days apart). I typically keep track of all purchases but I had a family medical emergency and had a particulary 'off ' week. After 15 years of having the same account with NO problems, you would think the dingbats at TD bank would have considered forgiving the error considering my paycheck was direct deposited 12 HOURS after the 11pm overdraft post from the night before. 12 hours difference to incur a $105 fee? Really? Well banks come and go so there's no love lost when I close my account on Monday.

TD Bank is crooked and I'm sorry for the mindless robots that continue to post on their behalves. Suckers.
 22nd of Nov, 2010 by    -1 Votes
I checked my account tonight, and I was shocked to see an overdraft assessment of 140.00 to my account. On the 18th I was in the positive ending balance... The morning of the 19th my husbands check went in automatic deposit. They charged me the 140.00 for the pending transactions that CLEARED on the 19th AFTER his check went in. Someone explain how this is legal?
 23rd of Nov, 2010 by    -2 Votes
Let's sue these thieves, make them pay just like Wells Fargo, Wachovia did!
 2nd of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
$175 charged in overdraft fees for a "service" I never willfully enrolled in, exasperating phone calls with several customer service representatives who refused to help...but a miraculous ending. Use the attached picture for the contact information that will actually make a difference. You may have to suffer through at least one pointless call to regular customer service before you can use the escalation information attached, but don't waste time asking for supervisors--they will all tell you the same thing. I used the attached information to send a fax and an email, and the situation was resolved within 24 hours. Good luck!
 2nd of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
Hmmm...the picture didn't seem to take. Here's the information:
STEP 2
Elevate Your Concern
If you have contacted us and are not satisfied
with the resolution that has been suggested, your
concern can be referred to a representative of the
Senior Management Team by simply talking to
your branch. Alternatively, you can elevate your
concern using the contact information below.
For escalations, please contact us at:
Mail: TD Canada Trust Customer Feedback
Email: customerfeedback@td.com
 9th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
The Worst Bank EVEER!!!
 22nd of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
New issue popping up... I was charged $100s of dollars in overdraft fees on PENDING AUTHORIZATIONS. I checked in to a hotel that authorized a large sum for security. When the actual charges came in the authorization was still on the account and they charged me overdraft fees. The next day the hold came off! They charged me fees on money I DIDN'T EVEN SPEND!!! Then the branch manager told me it was MY FAULT and that "pending authorization holds" count against my available balance regardless of if they're actual charges or not!!! Who wants to get in on a class action with me?
 11th of May, 2011 by    -1 Votes
commerce bank was a great back until td bank came along they have turned a great bank to total crap with not grandfather in accounts and overdraft fees and the way the pay checks so you get more overdraft fee, and customer service in general stinks they say one thing and in the bank they tell you something different on line balances are not right and then you get a fees stay clear of this bank if you have an account close it and run
 19th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
Here is one everyone misses. The Federal Government has told banks to become more profitable to avoid future problems. The only way banks can make mpre money is to charge the customers more. So they either charge us more and icnur our wrath or do not make more profit and incur the Federal Government's wrath.
 7th of Sep, 2011 by    0 Votes
I've been having numerous problems with them charging me fees "out of the blue".
It makes sense, each year as reported on their official Income Statement (that is RIGHT on their website) you can see that income from service charges is increasing every year. It's really sad that they are profiting from make-believe services such as fees, they're essentially stealing our money.
2008 = $1, 237, 000, 000.00
2009 = $1, 507, 000, 000.00
2010 = $1, 651, 000, 000.00

Its really astonishing that they can pull off $1.6 BILLION collectively from all of their clients.
Ladies and gentlemen, this is banking, at its finest.
 8th of Jun, 2014 by    0 Votes
I have been with the same bank for about 15 years. Even though our auto deduct mortgage is through them I will be going in to close my account monday. I can no longer deal with td switching my transactions around while I sleep so I wake up with numerous overdraft fees because TDBANK goes out of their way to move bigger transactions to the front of the line so all the little transactions can be charged overdraft fees. The silly bitch at the bank even had the nerve to say "Of course you would want the larger transactions posted first" They are more important!" WOW Really? I want to pay an extra 35.00 for buying a 3 dollar air freshener in the AM and have a check clear that night without pending and move in front of a 20 dollar withdrawal I made at 7AM. ENOUGH! I Quit!
 8th of Jan, 2016 by    0 Votes
Td bank is shady. If you don't believe me look them up they been sued two times for charging overdraft fees . They lost twice and was fined because they don't post funds right away. For example you go in to the bank to deposit 300 dollars cash. It won't be avaliable to you right away. It takes them a 24 hours to post it to your account. So if you decided to purchase anything they will hit you with an overdraft fee 35 dollars they can charge you 5 times a day for overdraft. They are crooks. If you open a checking account at chase, wellsfargo, suntrust, etc any of these banks . You would know if you depisit cash it is avaliable right away. Only check take 7 buissness days to process depending on the check. Now td bank offer their clients an advance checking which basically allows you to purchase things even if you have no funds. So they can turn around and hit you with overdraft fees. In the other banks your purchases would be declined they will not allow you to purchase anything if you have insufficient funds and they will charge you a one time 35 dollar overdraft fee. Not td bank they will continue to overdraft you and charge you. They are not looking out for the intrest of their clients. They are robbing thier clients blind. Yeah no banks perfect but a bank that can't provide any benifits to their clients makes no sense. Most bank don't want you to owe them money so they decline your purchases because they don't want loses. Not td bank they look at it as hiting the jackpot. They want you to owe them so they can charge you overdraft. Did you know Td bank has been investigated and they found out they don't pay your purchases in order. For example if you look at a wellsfargo, Chase account. You will see all your debts in order let say i pay my light bill 300.00, gas 25.00 5.00 at KFC . Well that the order it would be in . When you look at your account. Not td bank they will post the 5.00 then 25.00 then the 300.00 and if you didn't have enough funds they will claim they charge you 2 overdraft fee for the bigger amount and 1 for each smaller. So you owe then140 .00 in fees. Bunch of crooks is what td bank is . They been fine for doing this. If you don't believe me look it up. They have lots of complaints with their clients. They were even force to return some overdraft fees to their clients. This bank is making themselves rich over overdraft. I can't wait for td bank to be bankrupt fine, closed . They are the worst bank ever.
 8th of Jan, 2016 by    0 Votes
Td bank customer service is the worst. They don't really explain to you anything and don't ask them questions alot of them don't know or do know but work with the bank to rob you blindly. An advance checking at td bank is dangerous. If you don't opt out they will overdraft your account any chance they get. Now you shouldn't overdraft your account in the first place you may argue and your right but if it your first time banking with this bank and you didn't read the contract or understands how the bank works. Let me fill you in. If you deposit your money in a cash form. It doesn't necessarly mean the funds are avaliable nope not with td bank there's 24 hour wait or more depending on the day. So don't use your debit card to make purchases the funds are not avaliable but you need gas. Okay use the card at own risk. Guess what you will be charge an overdraft plus the gas money and the more you use the card the more overdraft until you end up oweing them alot more money.it makes sense td bank is green. It the green eye monster out to devoured your hard earn money.

TD Bank Logo TD Bank