logo

Awful experience

Frederica St
Owensboro, Kentucky
suntancity.com
I like the whole unlimited tanning for a single price a month, but the idea of giving them my credit card in order to do so is what I hate. I was willing to pay for the complete contract up front, but they wouldn't let me. I fear of having insufficient funds when it's auto drawn and end up over drafting my account and getting those $35 fees. That's why I hate auto withdraws, I can't control what is taken out on my own. It's also very inconvenient to have to show up before they would withdraw and pay it. That's why they should have the choice to use their credit card or pay everything up front without the use of a card. Okay, I'm done ranting and I feel a little better now, but I would feel great if they change this stupid crap!
Comments United States Health & Beauty
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

31st of Mar, 2009 by   Bebe 0 Votes
I agree 100%. We just had one open close to me and I wanted to purchase a month tanning with cash and they would not let me without putting a credit card down for them to have on file and then told me I had to come in and sign a form saying I wanted to cancel or else they would charge the card. I refused to give into their hard core sales tactics of $60.00 for a bottle of lotion and in this day and age of credit card theft I don’t think SunTan City qualifies to store my credit card information for their use. I will use another tanning salon, there are plenty. I am surprised their tactics are legal.
 2nd of Apr, 2009 by   Alisa David 0 Votes
My friend used to work at Sun Tan City and she told me that they take 3x the ammount they are supposed to each month. Whether thats true, I don't know. She told me about a girl she worked with that got angry about a girl not buying anything and spit in a clients bed. They are very rude there too and don't stop selling too you until you say yes.
 15th of Apr, 2009 by   Heather -2 Votes
A lot of these major tanning corporations are doing similar payment plans, where you have to sign a contract for X amount of months, you can do that or just pay per visit. Isn't that the great thing about America, we have the choice to do this. You don't like it, go somewhere else, which it sounds like you did. You still get your tanning and Suntan City gets other customers. Everyone leaves happy.
 24th of Apr, 2009 by   Louisville 0 Votes
I used to be a member there...I didnt have too much of a problem until they got rid of Mystic tan and got Versa tan. Versa is just a higher tech booth, but sprays the same stuff out! They want to charge $ 78 a month for a package that includes the Versa, while the Mystic was only $28 a month. For a single visit to the versa is $40!!! The mystic was like $10! Its the same thing in my opinion!!! My biggest rant is that i cancelled my membership and they were not too nice about it, and then 7 monthes later I decide to just pay $6 for a single visit and they tell me I am only allowed to lay in a bed for 7 minutes because they do know my tanning history! That is almost a dollar a minute. Screw that place, and all the little dumb girls who think they are hot shit because they work there.
 4th of May, 2009 by   Mandy 0 Votes
Sun Tan City sucks! I went into the Lexington, KY Tates Creek location and asked to purchase a 6 month membership at $48.88/ month with cash up front and was told no! Why do you people not want my $300 in cash??? They insisted on having my bank account information, so I walked out. It is a shame, because I wanted to do the sunless tanning there but now I will go somewhere else.
 21st of May, 2009 by   koolkell +1 Votes
Isnt it illegal for them to refuse cash?...it is supposed to be legal tender...
I've had a very bad experience since February with STC...I was sold on the 48.88/mo for 4 visits of Versa spa...when i asked about the regular beds I was tld it wasnt included. I thought it was. so the next time i was in there, i asked 2 different sales girls about it and they agreed that i didnt have that on my package...so 2 months go by, I called the home office to see about upgrading packages to include regular visits...and to my dismay, that was the package I've had all along!!...so to make it up to me they gave me 12 minutes of instant tan(one session)..they think that was enough to make up of 2 1/2 months of tanning I missed, but paid for! well, this month they struck again and charged me for may and June's installment...which caused another check to bounce and I'm fighting to get that fee back from them.
 29th of May, 2009 by   Jenn +1 Votes
The reason they ask you for a credit card is because they take money out of your account without your permission. I have had so many problems with them, first of they never tell you everything you need to know about your account so they end up cheating you out of money. They have done it to my twice. This past time i told them that if they do not put the money back to my bank account I would go to see an attorney because I never signed anything to give them permission to depit my account more then once. I did not sign their 6 month contract. I did after a month get my money back. Radcliff Ky STC is the worst. we dont have alot of other choices for tanning and you know what i dont even care i just dont tan anymore and i will not ever go back to STC.
 6th of Jun, 2009 by   nonya +1 Votes
Hey! I actually was a employee of Sun Tan City for over a year. They are pretty smart with their sales strategies. The reason they do automatic payments is because clients keep their membership longer so it works out well for them, and even though you always must put your credit card down you can always prepay before they take it out. But I think it sucks too, and I support the small town businesses. They are friendlier and better. I used to love working for Sun Tan City and did really well(commision checks were sometimes $1, 000 a month for me) However, my sales went down slightly and my Salon Directer was so mean to me and gossiped about me behind my back and made funny of me in front of other employees. They are so strict there, they fire people if their sales average is down no matter how long they have worked there. I did not get fired, and after trying and trying I quit because of my boss. She was very unprofessional. I don't tan anymore or as often due to skin cancer, I only tan maybee every few weeks or so. Plus the Sun Tan City I worked at was not very clean. However most of them are clean. So if I were you just go to the local places, it's a beter deal. Plus about a month ago Sun Tan City took my payment out of the wrong account which overdrew and it was their fault bc I was switching cards and the girl was new and did not do it, so I got stuck with a overdraft fee and all Sun Tan City offered me was free tanning upgrades, they refused to pay my overdraft fee or anything of the such.
 15th of Jul, 2009 by   HappyHappy1 +1 Votes
Hm. I am an employee at Sun Tan City. I would prefer that if you have a complaint about the store that you are currently having problems with, you would mention that stores name. Not all Sun Tan Citys are ran the exact same. Also, for the "versa spa complaint" the mystic tan was different solution because it contained beta carotene (that ugly orange color you prob. were) and we have to do away with that because as you know technology advances. Also, If you have a problem with Sun Tan City or any other business, you should prob. not go there, I believe that would be a good alternative to solving your problems. The "versa package is not 78 dollars for the person who wrote that, it is 48.88". And for the person who posted the complaint about the girls who think they are hot shit, I will agree that there are a few but most girls who work in there do not think they are hot shit, so please refrain from "dogging out" someone for where they work, who doesn't like making money and getting free tanning?. For the person who posted "i did not allow them to deduct the amount from my account".. yes you did. When you signed your agreement the VERY first line says "this is an open agreement payments from your account will keep being deducted until you physically come into the store and cancel or freeze this account after the alotted months that your package contains ". Sun Tan City is a very professional business and I think it is very rude of the people who first. make false accusations towards Sun Tan City and it's employees and second. Come to Sun Tan City just to complain, you CAN go to fusion fyi.
 15th of Jul, 2009 by   HappyHappy1 0 Votes
And for the main user "about deducting your payment on auto". You can pay for a year up front, buy 6 visits, or you can give us your account information and still pre-pay as long as you get in before the end of the month and your card/check/debit will never be charged. There are many options, just ask for the tanning consultants and salon directors to better explain your options to you.
 31st of Jul, 2009 by   VictoriaAtSunTanCity 0 Votes
Hi Everybody,
It seems like several of you aren't the happiest with Sun Tan City, and for that I am sorry. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service and quality products, and if you would like to share your experience with the Customer Service department, we would be happy to learn from you. The phone number is 877-362-1097 (ext. 9).

Regards,
Victoria
Let Yourself Shine
www.suntancity.com
victoria@suntancity.com
 5th of Aug, 2009 by   RxBenzGuy +2 Votes
Hello everyone,

I have been a customer with Sun Tan City for about a year now. I started my membership at the first Salon on the south side of Indianapolis. At fist I loved Sun Tan City I ignored the constant selling techniques and realized they are just doing there job. I even helped the girls clean the beds to get other customers going so the line was not out of the door. I felt like I had kinda bonded with the employee's. I am a traveling Pharmacist and with my job am in the Louisville area for the summer. I have had issues before with beds malfunctioning but it was always addressed and taken care of. I have the 78.88 membership and use the Versa and love it. However the salon's in the Louisville area are the worst tanning beds i have ever used. Its pretty bad when the employees tell you the fastest bed has and I quote "shitty bulbs". After just dealing with the poor customer service and nasty beds here, I had it when the store actually closed early. I called expressing my concerns to customer service on 7/26/2009 and was told that someone would contact me within 24-48 hours, as of today 8-5-2009 I have yet to hear from anyone. I believe as a customer paying for a service like this you deserve better service than this. I called customer service today and asked to speak to Victoria and was told she is not a real person. Its the marketing ploy they use with the cartoon characters in there advertisement. I am sorry but if you are going to post something on here give your real information not a poorly drawn cartoon characters name and email. It is unexplainable for a member of upper management i.e. a district manager not to respond to a customer complaint towards a store in there market. So for those of you who are working for this god awful organization and say not to include everyone in a complaint I didn't I enjoy the salons in Indianapolis. I appreciate there attention to detail and outstanding customer service. I am disgusted by the service in one particular area and have expressed my concerns to store management and customer service. I will not tan period until my concerns are addressed.

Thanks,

Brandon Decker
RPh, PharmD
deckerb@ymail.com
 25th of Aug, 2009 by   yeaitsme 0 Votes
I worked at Sun Tan City for a little over a year. For the most part, working there is fun and laid back. However, they pride themselves on how they "promote from within" and "are not pushy sales people"... and that is not true at all. I was told on three different occassions that I was being promoted to ASD (assistant salon director), and kept getting the run around. They hired 3 different women from outside of the company, and I ended up training them. Training people for the job I was getting?? Movie gallery might as well own STC because the stc employees got trampled on by the recruited movie gallery employees that seemed to get hired for positions that girls in the salon were working towards. Our salon director was great, but catty. Some days she was extra friendly and it felt easy to talk to her, and other days she was snobby and seemed to good to talk to. I seen many no call-no shows, employees quit, and many employees get fired for low numbers. This particular STC was in a small town, and 80+ dollars for a bottle of lotion is steep. We knew most of our clients by name and what package they had, and just the same- they knew us. So it is difficult to try to sell them the same stuff every time they come in. I would reccomend for people to tan there if they make good money and want a good quality tan, but I would not reccomend even to my worst enemy to work there. Unless you are looking for just a short term job and you like cut throat sales, because it is almost impossible to get promoted. I don't want to bash STC or the employees there, to each his own, but in my personal opinion- dont work there.
 29th of Aug, 2009 by   naynay +1 Votes
I completley agree...except my boss was awful and talked behind my back. I was told I was going to become ASD and there was about 7 people hired for it before I quit, and each of them lasted no longer then a couplemonths. Three of them lasted a couple days. Sun iTan City does not care a thing about their employees, or their customers. They are very selfish business people. I liked the people I worked with besides the Salon Directer and the Upper management whom had their own clique. Definatley would not reccomend this job, people should support their local businesses who for the most part seem to treat their employees good. STC is going to have a representative in the next comment stand up for their company because they look up everything that is said about them on the internet, even on employees facebook pages and corrects themselves. I suppose that is a good thing, except they always just make up excuses. STC how about you stop treating your employees like shit? Care about your customers more? You've done a lot for Kentucky it seems like, you would be a good company if you didn't fire people over everything. Nobody wants to work for you.
 30th of Sep, 2009 by   NJU +1 Votes
My problem with Sun Tan City is that they are using bate & switch tactics on customers, especially young college students. Just yesterday my granddaughter called me in tears regarding a coupon she recieved at a college function for "FREE" $20.00 worth of tanning or products. She was told by the STC employee that she could use it towards a months tanning and the balance of the month (pro-rated amount only) would be charged to her card and she could cancel before the end of the month so no additional charges would be made. When she visited STC yesterday in Richmond, Kentucky, she was told she couldnt cancel untill next month and that her card would be charged again on the first of October. She tried to get the manager to understand what she was told by the STC employee when she signed up and the manager was very rude to her and told her that the girl who helped her no longer worked there and this is the way it is. My granddaughter explained that if they charged her card it would cause an overdraft fee of $35.00 and the manager said "oh well, thats to bad for you". I called the corp. office and got the run around from them and now I will have to add funds to my granddaughter's bank account untill we can get somewhere with STC.
Next step will be for us to contact our attorney to file consumer fraud complaint against them. Anyone want to injoin in a class action suit?, you are more than welcome... Bambiwc21@aol.com
 25th of Oct, 2009 by   Ca2 -2 Votes
My husband and I have been members of Sun Tan City on the SS of Indianapolis for about 6 months now. We couldn't be HAPPIER with the service we receive. Neither one of us have ever had any complaints about this specific STC. As for the girl who doesn't like the auto-withdrawals. Guess what, you know exactly what day it's coming out of your account so why don't you just make sure you HAVE that money in your account before it comes out and causes overdraft fees? The people at the STC on the SS of Indy are THE BEST and are so accomodating and make you feel welcome EVERYTIME you walk in there. That place is almost always busy. They always keep us up-to-date w/ the latest specials. I will NEVER tan anywhere else AGAIN! This STC location is wonderful and we're both really glad we've become members there.
 23rd of Nov, 2009 by   audeur09 +3 Votes
Sun Tan City is a scam for money. I am also a college student who just wanted ONE MONTH of tanning, and the sales lady specifically asked me how often I tan. I told her not often at all and I just wanted to go about a month before winter. She said this membership would be great for me and a I also paid a prorated about for the rest of November. and I was thinking about December but now I am canceling due to the fact that they charge every month even if you don't want to go tanning.

If they would have said this is a monthly fee that I will be charged I wouldn't have signed, and when I am in line with people behind me, and I ask this if this is just the monthly amount, I didn't take the time to read the fine print considering they never even explained the details of the membership.

I'm going to cancel as soon as I go back this week and am going to complain about the false advertising. I am also going to advise all of my friends and peers at school that Sun Tan City is not a good choice, don't let all the fancy equipment fool you!

Also, one day I had gone in a tanning bed and I was in for slightly over a minute out of the ten minutes, when it shut off. I had been in it for not even a minute and a half and called the front desk and they specifically said "It says you were in ten minutes, sorry". How could I have been in there ten minutes if I was given the five minutes to undress and only 6 minutes had gone by since I was in the room?? I let that slide by and left assuming something had malfunctioned with the bed.. and I'm not one that normally likes to stay and cause a stir.
 17th of Dec, 2009 by   youknowwhoitis -3 Votes
Ok, as a fromer employee of kentucky's suntan city, someone who left and did not (in my opinion) leave on the best terms... do have something to say. Even though my exit ended differently than I imagined, they do ONLY what they are pAID to DO! With that said, YES they will ask you to buy lotions! WHY? Because that's what they are PAID to do! YES they will continue to ask you to buy lotions! WHY? Cause that's what they're PAID to do! YES you do need to sign a document stating that funds will be directly taken from your account on the FIRST of each month! WHY? Cause They were TRAINED and NOW PAID to make sure you sign that document! I have been in customer service since I was 16 years of age. I am now twenty two and let me just add, there will be CUSTOMERS who will always B*tch about ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING. There will be "ignorant and dumb" customers who for some reason can not READ a single DOCUMENT. Sorry but if you sign any document without reading or understanding the document then you deserve what ever is coming to you lol... and if you don't understand YOU ASKKKKKKKK! goodness... it's easier to b*tch about it, hire a lawyer (sorry you won't get very far grandma but nice try), cry, complain WHA WHA WHA! Get over it. If you don't like how it is run, tuff Sh*t. go somewhere else and stop your petty complaining JESUS! I am actually going there later on today to open up a One month contract to tan and guess what I am AWARE I will be paying a PRO RATED amount today and I get 20% off of lotions in which I will take adavntage of lol... AND I am a smart girl who is also AWARE that whatever the $$ may be will then be taking out of my account of JANUARY 1ST! OMG!!! lol... than after january 1st I can cancel... and Even If I wanted to cancel January 2nd... I still get to tan for the rest of the month and I'm worry free of another transaction lol... So with that said... I will be off to the gym in a bit follwed by the place you all HATE...?!?! lol... Let me just add that half of you probably NEVER EVER worked in customer sales like I have. AND I can gaurantee that your the type of customers that NIP PICK every little thing, as though everything you do in your own life is perfect?!!? give these girls a break, if you have a problem, call BBB! lol... you sound pathetic as hell complaining on here... lol!
Former employee of Suntan City

SUN TAN CITY IS THE BEST PLACE EVER TO TAN!... Cheap a$$es!
 17th of Dec, 2009 by   youknowwhoitis -2 Votes
Former* jesus I can sure spill a few paragraphs but I can't write them correctly lol... god I hate keyboards! Do we have a forum on keyboards? lol
 19th of Dec, 2009 by   K Emmert +2 Votes
I have heard from NUMEROUS employees of Sun Tan City that they move their older 'top of the bed' bulbs to the bottom, put new bulbs in the top when it's time to change lamps...this is BS if you're paying their ridiculously high prices...you're NEVER getting a bed with ALL NEW BULBS...you're not going to see your backside as well when you look in the mirror (presuming you lay on your back in the bed)...seems like this falls right along the lines of their sneaky advertising. ANY salon that tries to PUSH you into a specific package by keeping single sessions SO expensive is NOT being honest with their clientele (imo). I will give my $ to the local guys, not the corporate salons which already have plenty of $$$$. I have heard the financial backers of STC include Mr. "Papa Johns". hmmmmmm!

Tips How to Save Money on Gasoline