logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Hughes Net
Horrible internet provider & service!
2. (51 mins ago)
Nice, Polite Ways of Working and Hassle-Free Execution of Projects

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Straight Talk, Pennsylvania Complaints & Reviews - Defective Phone Replacement policy

Straight Talk Contacts & Informations

Straight Talk

Posted: 2011-10-17 by    AmericanConsumer

Defective Phone Replacement policy

Straight Talk
Pennsylvania
I have NEVER been given such a ridiculous run around by so-called "customer service" in my life. I have a Samsung telephone purchased through Straight Talk that has not worked correctly since I first bought it. (microphone seems to be defective, People I talk to say they cannot hear me unless I am using a hands free headset, then I am loud and clear so, the phone works, but it is extremely inconvenient to only be able to use it with a head set) Samsung requires that this be handled through my service provider. Straight Talk's "policy" is to only replace a defective phone AFTER I send away my phone for up to 2 weeks and is clearly designed to hurt the customer in the hopes that they won't actually have to do anything. This policy potentially puts the customer's LIVES in jeopardy. My cell phone is my only phone. I live in the country not near ANY other phone service. Their policy would require me to be in a position whereby I would be unable to dial 911 in the case of an emergency for 2 weeks, not to mention the inconvenience of doing without communication AND losing prepaid airtime during those 2 weeks. I offered to pay for the replacement to be reimbursed when I return the defective phone...seems logical and puts me in more jeopardy than your company, despite the fact that the phone is defective through no fault of my own. The fact that they would not agree to this demonstrates that the policy is designed to hurt customers. I understand that this is a "discount service" and I am not expecting the high level of care that I would expect from Verizon or AT&T, but I still expect a level of basic logic, fairness, and decency that seems to be void at this company.
I spoke to every level of representative I could get on the phone at your company and all said "we have to follow rules given to us by the company". If I talked to the highest manager I could and was STILL told that he was just following "rules" then who makes the rules??? Why can't I talk to that person??? Your rules are bad and need to be changed. A friend who called Straight Talk later (when I explained what had happened to me) was able to get the phone number of a person in the corporate office, who then did not answer the call. All after going through rep after rep, loudly demanding to speak to someone higher up in policy making, and being on hold for over an hour.
I have looked at consumer complaint boards and discovered that I am definitely not the only one complaining about this incredibly ridiculous policy. As Straight Talk presumably has thousands of customers this bad policy potentially hurts many consumers, I would appreciate GMA's help in spotlighting a hurtful policy.
Comments United States Mobile/Cellular Service Providers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Feb, 2013 by   jamiehowlett 0 Votes
I got a refurbished phone. I was supposed to get minutes, how do I get them

5 Tips on Finding a Real Estate Agent