Stage, Goodys, Peebles, Palais Royal, Bealls

Posted:

Deceitful Tactics to Sign Customers up for Unwanted Magazine Subscriptions

Stage Goodys Peebles Palais Royal and Bealls
Missouri
I counted at least 10 people who have posted to either, Goodys, Peebles or Bealls Facebook page to complain, (as I have), about those magazine subscriptions the sales associates are sneaking into customer shopping bags at Stage, Goodys, Peebles, Palais Royal and Bealls stores throughout the United States.
My story began around January 2012 when I found charges on my checking account from several magazine subscription companies in New York and California. We were receiving magazines since around October of 2011, but no one knew where these were coming from and we didn’t receive any bill. There was nothing from Goodys to tell us where these magazines were coming from.
I saw on our online checking account statement, the name of the magazine subscription company. I called them and found out it was through Goodys that they got our debit card number. We did not agree in anyway to this transaction. One example is we were getting Forbes magazine and I have never read Forbes nor did I ever intend on reading it. This is proof that the sales associate signed us up for magazine subscriptions without our permission.
If I hadn’t spotted these transactions we would have suffered from magazine subscription costs, insufficient fund costs, and would have been penalized hundreds of dollars.
One single mother complained about this very problem on your Facebook page. She suffered a lost of funds because she didn’t know how to stop it.
Other people posted that sale associates were fired for not participating in this magazine subscription scheme. Other customers posted they were given no choice and told by the sales associate they had to choose some magazines.
I am in support of those customers who HATE the magazine subscription offers. What a stupid marketing ploy. Save the magazine subscriptions for the school fundraisers where they belong. I no longer go to Goody's to shop for merchandise. I happen to know that the associates are forced to ask everyone or they get disciplined. The associates are embarrassed to ask the same people, 2 or 3 times a week, but they have too. Too much pressure for underpaid, overworked, sales associates.
I hope I find a way to elevate this information to the proper authorities to get it stopped. You can’t be allow to deceive customers, giving out their personal financial information to magazine subscription companies, not knowing what they will do with it.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful?

Comments

17th of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
I have been trying to cancel my magazine subscriptions for a while and now have been charged on My card again!! They will not take off the charge even though I called two numbers and went into the store! They claim that there is no record of my trying to cancel so they can charge for extending the subscriptions that I never wanted in the first place. Please do yourself a favor and be sure to get your credit card canceled with this company as soon as possible or they will continue to charge you.
 11th of Jan, 2014 by    0 Votes
If Goody's and their ploy to entice elderly and others to get 3 months of 3 magazines for free is not taken off my account, I
will complain to the Attorney General for this is a scam. I have called and called and they tell me that they will cancel those
magazines, but I am still receiving them. When I call I get an operator who transfers me over to the Magazine Department, but
they always, always disconnect. How disgusting. I will not pay for something that should have warned me when the three months were
up and even after calls, they still want money. Shame on these businesses.

Beth A. Burger
 30th of Mar, 2014 by    0 Votes
 28th of May, 2014 by    0 Votes
I called before the first three months was up to change the payment method on my account and when my subscription began after the 90 days they still processed the card used in the store for a purchase made. I did not appreciate this because it caused an overdraft on our account. Will not fall for this again.
 16th of Jun, 2014 by    0 Votes
What is the phone number to call? I have tried to find out where it is at so I can cancel this!
 31st of Jan, 2015 by    0 Votes
the number is 1-877-373-6904
 15th of Aug, 2015 by    0 Votes
The problem is the employees are given quotas for new Credit Card applications and magazine subscriptions. They are told "do whatever it takes" to meet your goal. If they don't meet their goals, they are written up and a reprimand put in their permanent employee file. They are given a list of sales lines to convince the customer to take the "free 3 month subscription" but are told not to tell them they must cancel before the 3 months are up or they will be charged. It's in very small print on the signature pad, but the customers never read that and Bealls knows it. I know this because my wife is an assistant manager (not for long). Even the store manager is graded on how many CC apps and magazine subscriptions are pushed through.
 18th of Aug, 2015 by    0 Votes
I am an associate at Goodys. I'm not sure how other stores do it, but we make sure that the customer knows that the magazines are free for THREE MONTHS. We also show them the number, and even circle it or highlight it for them. I also make sure I mention that it can be canceled online. The associates at our store even show an example of the $10 they will receive in the mail so as they don't accidently throw it away. Not all associates are "out to get you" just because we have a quota. Many associates have actually taken part in the magazine offer themselves (including me!) and enjoy it. Even after all we can do to remind people, the ones to complain are the ones that don't remember, and get charged. When you choose the magazines you have to "sign and agree". This is where it gives you the information and tells you plainly that after your three month free trial, you will be charged for your selections. I have met many people who actually chose to keep the magazines because they have enjoyed them. It is not the responsibility of Stage Stores to refresh people's memory. If you believe that you will not remember-DON'T SIGN. If you do remember, you will enjoy three FREE issues for three months. You can also do it up to four times per year and still receive a coupon each time. You wrote your complaint as if the associates are being mistreated by having a "quota" . I enjoy my job. Although we don't get paid per magazine, we do receive a commission per opened account. Remember that you are a responsible adult, and have the power to say "No". And if you are not a responsible adult, you have no business "signing and agreeing" to anything, do you? ;) Again, I'm not sure how other stage store associates present our magazine offer, but I ask that you don't let one bad experience make you presume that all of Stage Stores' employees would treat you the same way.

Contact Us