logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Daisy Fuentes Jewelry
Necklace turned brown and bruised my neck
2. (11 mins ago)
au.cellphoneshop.net
Seller rips off and ignores customers
3. (23 mins ago)
Bureau of Immigration Philippines
inorganized processing
4. (26 mins ago)
Minihuskies.org
Failure to provide dog and refusal to refund deposit
5. (52 mins ago)
progiftnet.com
I regretted I have not looked for reviews before ordering

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Stage, Goodys, Peebles, Palais Royal, Bealls, Missouri Complaints & Reviews - Deceitful Tactics to Sign Customers up for Unwanted Magazine Subscriptions

Stage, Goodys, Peebles, Palais Royal, Bealls Contacts & Informations

Stage, Goodys, Peebles, Palais Royal, Bealls

Posted: 2012-09-01 by    Spazm1702

Deceitful Tactics to Sign Customers up for Unwanted Magazine Subscriptions

Stage Goodys Peebles Palais Royal and Bealls
Missouri
I counted at least 10 people who have posted to either, Goodys, Peebles or Bealls Facebook page to complain, (as I have), about those magazine subscriptions the sales associates are sneaking into customer shopping bags at Stage, Goodys, Peebles, Palais Royal and Bealls stores throughout the United States.
My story began around January 2012 when I found charges on my checking account from several magazine subscription companies in New York and California. We were receiving magazines since around October of 2011, but no one knew where these were coming from and we didn’t receive any bill. There was nothing from Goodys to tell us where these magazines were coming from.
I saw on our online checking account statement, the name of the magazine subscription company. I called them and found out it was through Goodys that they got our debit card number. We did not agree in anyway to this transaction. One example is we were getting Forbes magazine and I have never read Forbes nor did I ever intend on reading it. This is proof that the sales associate signed us up for magazine subscriptions without our permission.
If I hadn’t spotted these transactions we would have suffered from magazine subscription costs, insufficient fund costs, and would have been penalized hundreds of dollars.
One single mother complained about this very problem on your Facebook page. She suffered a lost of funds because she didn’t know how to stop it.
Other people posted that sale associates were fired for not participating in this magazine subscription scheme. Other customers posted they were given no choice and told by the sales associate they had to choose some magazines.
I am in support of those customers who HATE the magazine subscription offers. What a stupid marketing ploy. Save the magazine subscriptions for the school fundraisers where they belong. I no longer go to Goody's to shop for merchandise. I happen to know that the associates are forced to ask everyone or they get disciplined. The associates are embarrassed to ask the same people, 2 or 3 times a week, but they have too. Too much pressure for underpaid, overworked, sales associates.
I hope I find a way to elevate this information to the proper authorities to get it stopped. You can’t be allow to deceive customers, giving out their personal financial information to magazine subscription companies, not knowing what they will do with it.
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Jun, 2013 by   M. S. Johnson 0 Votes
I have been trying to cancel my magazine subscriptions for a while and now have been charged on My card again!! They will not take off the charge even though I called two numbers and went into the store! They claim that there is no record of my trying to cancel so they can charge for extending the subscriptions that I never wanted in the first place. Please do yourself a favor and be sure to get your credit card canceled with this company as soon as possible or they will continue to charge you.
 11th of Jan, 2014 by   Beth A. Burger 0 Votes
If Goody's and their ploy to entice elderly and others to get 3 months of 3 magazines for free is not taken off my account, I
will complain to the Attorney General for this is a scam. I have called and called and they tell me that they will cancel those
magazines, but I am still receiving them. When I call I get an operator who transfers me over to the Magazine Department, but
they always, always disconnect. How disgusting. I will not pay for something that should have warned me when the three months were
up and even after calls, they still want money. Shame on these businesses.

Beth A. Burger
 30th of Mar, 2014 by   flagtrgrl1976 0 Votes
 28th of May, 2014 by   Lvaughn 0 Votes
I called before the first three months was up to change the payment method on my account and when my subscription began after the 90 days they still processed the card used in the store for a purchase made. I did not appreciate this because it caused an overdraft on our account. Will not fall for this again.
 16th of Jun, 2014 by   erica89 0 Votes
What is the phone number to call? I have tried to find out where it is at so I can cancel this!

Identity Theft Prevention