Restaurant.com

Posted:

Scam

2.15
Restaurant.com
Received a $50 "gift certificate" with purchase from drugstore.com. Logged onto restaurant.com. In order to redeem the certificate at a local restaurant, I have to spend at least $50 out of my own pocket. This makes me wary to do business with the restaurants that list with them. Do they know what a rip-off this is?
Complaint comments Comments (71) Complaint country United States Complaint category Food

Comments

N  24th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
Scam! Scam! Scam! I got a gift card to Restaurant.com with a purchase from Abe's of Maine. With the card, I purchased 3 discount coupons for 3 different restaurants. The first time I tried to use one, I was informed that they didn't deal with the company any more, but would still honor the coupon as a favor. I complained to restaurant.com and was told that I should call ahead to make sure they will take the coupon. What? Why should it be up to me to call ahead? Why do they issue coupons if the restaurants won't take them. Still, for the second coupon, I called ahead and guess what I was told: We don't take them. We were misled by them. They are a scam.

What do you think I'm going to do with the third coupon? You can imagine where I'd like to stick it!
N  23rd of Feb, 2009 by    -1 Votes
Sorry to hear you had problems. I had none. Used 3 coupons, no problem. Great restaurants. No, I don't work for Restaurants.com.
N  4th of Apr, 2009 by    -1 Votes
I went to a restaurant that we frequent occasionally and saw a sign on their door that indicated that they will no longer accept restaurant.com coupons after a certain date. They had the sign posted for several months before the end date. I think that restaurants that stop participating in the restaurant.com program should post a sign to let patrons know when they will stop accepting coupons because you could have purchased the coupon months before you used it and in that time the restaurant may have stopped participating in the restaurant.com program. In that case it's not restaurant.com's responsibility or problem. They don't sell any GCs to restaurants that aren't currently participating. That isn't to say that a restaurant couldn't cancel their membership with restaurant.com a day after you bought a coupon from them. But why would that be restaurant.com's fault? I would never buy a restaurant.com coupon for full price. Always find a discount code to buy at 70 or 80% off that way the worst you will be out is a few bucks if for some reason you don't end up using your coupon.
N  28th of Jul, 2009 by    -1 Votes
Max is an idiot. restaurant.com is a total sham. Never give someone a gift card from that site. It's not a gift if the receiver has to spend double the amount of the card. WHAT A JOKE!! It IS a scam. Cannot believe they still exhist, what a joke. I totally agree with you. I wanted to take the stupid paper and shove it up the restaurant managers you know what. Any restaurant that deals with them I will never go to either. Because they are obviously ###s for working with them, so I doubt I can trust the cooking from them as well.
N  29th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
I was given a $25 "gift Card". The only restaurant in my area who "honored" it CLOSED. Since I am going on vacation to Sanibel Island, I decided to use the "Gift Card" there. I went through the lengthly log-in process, and NONE of the restaurants that "honor" this card, have any "Dining Certificates" available. NONE!!! This is a SCAM, pure and simple!
N  30th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
i always thought it sounded a little fishy considering you get a giftcard for such a low price. thanks for the info.
D  8th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
Hey Headphonz, Max is an idiot because it worked out for him well? Really? You're the idiot.
N  30th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
We've used them without the problems you have mentioned.

Unfortunately, you need to purchase such high amounts of food 50 dollars on a 25 dollar certificate, 25 dollars on a 10 dollar certificate that you can't actually spend the amount without friends. So much for a date night.
N  4th of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes
RDC has ALWAYS given me credit for restaurants that no longer accept coupons so I just buy another one from the site.
A  4th of Mar, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I am a restaurant owner who has dealt with Restaurant.com and I am still dealing with the mess of restaurant.com. He is correct. They are a sham. Unfortunately I signed a one year contract with them without reading the entire over written mess. It states that R.C can use my images, logos..etc for any use whatsoever as they deem fit. Which means blasting the coupons all over the internet with no responsibility of taking them down when I cancel my membership. Simply...it's a bad business practice. They don't care because people still purchase coupons. I was the stupid one for signing up. It's a horrible business and you will know when you speak to anyone of their representatives.

Here's the sham of a contract http://www.restaurant.com/gcp/
N  5th of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
What a scam...they advertise great deals on restaurant gift certificates - like $4 for a $25 restaurant gift certificate - and they show you quite a selection of name brand and "heard of" restaurants..so you fall for it..and buy one. THEN you see ALL of the EXCLUSIONS...CAN'T USE it on certain nights/days of week; CAN'T USE more than 1 per month or combine them; CAN'T USE them for certain menus/items AND if the restaurants "decides" that it is a "special night" they can CHOOSE to NOT ACCEPT them...YIKES! What is the deal then, if you can't use them? The DEAL is for Restaurant.com - NOT the consumer. I even EXCHANGED my certificicates - and then was told that THEY NOW CAN'T BE USED TO BUY ANY OF THEIR "SPECIALS" - Like the $4 deal I bought before. I can now only exchange them for a "dollar-for-dollar" certificate...SCAM BIG TIME...STAY AWAY unless you like throwing money away...I usually NEVER buy 'deals' - and I shouuld have stuck with my gut..
N  12th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
This company sells $25 gift certificates for restaurants at a fraction of that price. Problem is, if the restaurant goes out of business before you can use your certificate, they refuse you a refund.

Also, if the restaurant doesn't honor the certificate, the restaurant.com simply shrugs their shoulders. I would not have tried the restaurant I went to if I had not had a certificate. This is a scam to get you to the restaurant thinking you're getting some kind of a deal!

Worse still, the way they've set up their certificates for when you print, the certificate number may or may not appear! Apparently, it's up to the consumer to scour the section meant for the restaurant to make sure that all is as it should be.

This last Saturday night, we were at a restaurant (Ouest) that refused to honor the certificate because the number was missing. Restaurant.com was of no help whatsoever, refused to even refund my money for the certificate.

Buyer beware!
D  12th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
I've always got a refund on the ones where the restuarant went out of business. I do not understand why you wouldn have got one.
N  13th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
We signed up with Restaurant.com about a month ago under false pretenses. A representative from their company came into our restaurant and reassured us that we were making the right decision to sign up. First, she promised alot of advertising and exposure but all we got were 2 little pictures and customers that tried to get away with paying the minimum. Next, she promised that only 1 certificate per day would be sold but we found out over 175 were sold in less than a month. Next, she said we would get customers that would spend much more than their certificates are worth but all we got were customers that spent the minimum or less even though they know the rules which are clearly stated on the certificate. The only ones that profit here are Restaurant.com. Our restaurant has not made ONE penny from any of the "customers" that have been sent from restaurant.com as a matter of fact we know those customers won't be back unless they have another certificate. We cannot afford to fill our tables with people that come in with a certificate they bought for$10.00, then spend another$10.00 to be at their minimum. At this point I have made $15.00. Oh, the tax goes to the government and the 18% gratuity goes to my server but I still have to cover my food cost, my overhead and servers salary. So, I have just given my food away to a table that won't be back. Currently my attorney is dealing with Restaurant.com. I hope if there are any other restaurants out there that have been lied to, manipulated and SCAMED by Restaurant.com they to will make similar postings.
N  14th of Apr, 2010 by    +2 Votes
To put things in perspective, the ONLY 2 victims of Restaurant.com are the restaurants and the consumers that are tricked into the certificate SCAM... As consumers they sell you certificates with all kinds of restrictions that are made up front to you and others you find out when you get to the establishment. All of these restrictions are known well in advance to Restaurant.com but not to you(the consumer). As a restaurant they promise so many things to get you to sign on the dotted line and then the real drama unfolds. They sell as many certificates as possible knowing their own stipulations and also knowing in advance restaurants that no longer participate or are not willing to honor certificates with no regard for the consumer. They only care about selling as many certificates as possible and letting the consumer deal with the headache. After all, they already got their money from thousands of consumers. If they sell a minimum of a 1, 000 a day@ $10.00 per city nationwide times 365 days a year. Well, you do the math... I'm sure it's way more than that. So when a consumer calls to complain I'm sure they are not too terribly worried about losing you as a customer. This Restaurant.com scam has got to stop. The only one laughing all the way to the bank is Restaurant.com.
D  14th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
Use Restaurant.com certificates all the time and I love it. Lets us go out to dinner more then usual and try new places. If I ever have a place close or not except certificates any more. I just call and they give me a code for another place to dine at. Restaurant.com Rocks!
D  7th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
Your complaint is very suspicious - I bought a certificate for a restaurant which begain to refuse to honor the restaurant.com certificate, and I was allowed to exchange it for any other restaurant which participates in the program, no additonal charge. I've purchased several certificates with no problems whatsoever. Wasn't thrilled with all the restaurants I tried, but that's not their fault.
A  21st of May, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Have to say I agree. This is a bad deal all the way around. Customers don't know that the restaurant gets none of the money they paid up front, restaurants get lots of cranky and/or cheapskate customers and have to hire lawyers to get out of the deal.

We're trying to get out of our deal with them now.

The ONLY people making out on this deal is Restaurant.com.
A  14th of Jul, 2010 by    -1 Votes
i do have the same problem with you..what a shame..they only tell you what can make you to sign the contact..they dont really care what happen later..even you like it or not..i am so regret to sign up that mess..i am finding a lawyer now see if anything they can do..i will leave a note here if i find out anything..hope will help someone like me..and to the people who just purchase the coupon to eat at the restaurant..before you buy it dont just think about yourself..think about other people too..bcuz you guys being cheap you are really hurting other people at the same time..so if you like that restaurant that you try it..please please pay for the full price..because right now restaurant are very hard to make money so if you dont want to see them close down..dont just want to be cheap...
A  8th of Sep, 2010 by    +1 Votes
This company is a bunch of lying dirtbags. They sell hundreds of the copons, and one person can buy 12 or more at a time. If you try to cancel, they ignore you. The only way out is to simply stop honoring the certificates. Then the customer gets mad at you, not them. Biggest Mistake Ever. These people should rot in hell.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree