logo

Posted:    niggaB

Unfair employee treatment

Menard Inc
Wisconsin
Menard's isn't the worst retailer to work for in the world, but as many of the other employee posters have stated, fair treatment by management is completely sub-par. Occasionally you'll find managers whose problem solving and approaches to keeping employees happy and working are pretty impressive (like my own), but I would say a good 75% could not even manage their own shoelaces to stay tied. My store personally is "catch-22 central" in what it expects from its employees. I'm talking about hours offered versus the hours that are actually given. We are expected to work our given shifts, not be late, and not to cut out early nor ask for it. If any of the above are violated, you can expect a verbal or written warning the next day, or at the very least shunned on by some management. At the same time, we expect to be able to work our offered shifts from start to finish, as the whole reason we have the job is to work and make money. This past week I was scheduled to work 23 hours - I worked 9. I am expected to be OK with it, but it's extremely upsetting. Therefore: Catch 22. The job isn't for fun - it is a needed paycheck to pay bills. When most of the part timers are in college, like myself, money is tight enough as it is. Sometimes even dept managers get sent home early, resulting in their not making the 40 hr/week requirement. I like working and I do my job well - much better than part timers in other depts that get more hours than me because someone else made a huge sale. While the pay/workload ratio is fantastic and totally on my side, it does not make up for a measly 9 hours a week. What they need to remember is that the hardest working employees are usually the happiest employees, and recently I have not been a happy employee.
Comments United States Department Stores
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

24th of Dec, 2010 by   niggaB 0 Votes
And for the record, I have been employed there over 3 years. Started off great, but now? No dice. Sure, maybe you can blame the economy. But if you're going to do that, why are you still hiring new people? Can't wait to quit. At least at this point I have pretty good job security, seeing as I'm one of the most knowledgeable in all aspects of the store...
 9th of Apr, 2011 by   unfair practices 0 Votes
Apparently, this is the training that store managers get coming down from corporate as this is the same treatment offered at Hodgkins, IL. Employees schedules are changed without a day's notice, call, email, etc. Employees/students are scheduled ten hours days on week-ends and are ASKED to stay??? No they are told they have to stay until the store is ready regardless if they end up working 12 hours per day total, lunch is whenever if your lucky...maybe on the tenth hour.
I thinks its time for a class action lawsuit for unfair practices much like Walmart!
 19th of Jan, 2013 by   tiredandcrazy 0 Votes
I started out loving working for Menards. It was during the winter and the two departments I started training in (Millwork and Building Materials) were pretty easy to learn. What I cannot stand is the unfair treatment of certain people and management's lack of patience with some of their employees. I think it is unfair to be scheduled 13 + hour days with a half hour lunch break (if you're lucky) and that's it. There is no direction from any of the managers if you need help with something and it's pretty obvious that some of these people probably shouldn't be managers at all. I think that their anti-union stance on things will hurt them in the long run because of all the employee laws they end up violating on an everyday basis
 20th of Jan, 2014 by   The English Major 0 Votes
I think Menards is too big for its britches. The infrastructure cannot keep up with the growth rate. The issues with the computer scheduling system are ridiculous in a company this size. I have had nothing but problems with scheduling since I started. Computers are supposed to make things easier, not harder! I had an much smoother experience when I worked for a small company that had a manual time punch system. And I belong to a relatively small department! I cannot even imagine what some of the larger departments are dealing with. I agree 100% with the statements about the manner in which team members are treated. I think the company must think that since they are offering profit-sharing, they can therefore treat employees like tools instead of human beings. We must show up on time or we are docked points. However, we can be sent home early or kept late regardless of whether or not we have plans or needs. Expectations are two-way: a company has expectations of employees, but employees also have expectations of a company. Wake up, Menards, or all the profit-sharing in the world will not garner you the retention you need in order to be truly successful!

Web of Deceit - Internet Fraud