logo

My Coke Rewards

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Maytag Quiet Series 300 / Dishwasher Complaints & Reviews - Won't clean dishes!

Maytag Quiet Series 300 / Dishwasher Contacts & Informations

Maytag Quiet Series 300 / Dishwasher

Posted:    Pamela Barnes

Won't clean dishes!

Maytag Quiet Series 300
Bought Maytag Quiet Series 300 at Home Depot. Worked okay (takes MUCH more time to go through the cycle than others I've had) but in the past 2 months it hasn't been washing all the dishes. The dishes on top and bottom rack in the FRONT are not clean. The back seems to be clean. I've tried everything, short of calling a repair man. And of course the warranty expired 3 months ago... ironic timing.

Comments United States Appliances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of May, 2010 by   The Pryor Family 0 Votes
We have had our no-so Quiet 300 series dishwasher for 2 years and it was a piece of crap from the start. My main complaint is that it leaves a film of detergent all over the dishes and does not clean them. They seems to come out looking worse than before I rinsed them and put them in. In the last 2 years I have tried different types of dishwasher detergent, from gel to liquid to power and experimenting with different amounts including using different rinsing agents. Nothing works and it gets worse every week. I hate to spend money on something that is not entirely broken, but we may have to suck it up and just buy a new one. We will definitely not purchase from Sears or buy a Maytag ever again. Any suggestions for a simple fix-it for a not-so-handy family would be most appreciated. Maytag...you're fired!
 2nd of Jun, 2010 by   Romanguy57 0 Votes
I bought my Magtag dishwasher a year ago and it has never worked well. The dishes are always dirty unless they are on the front right part of the dishwasher. Over and over I look inside to see if anything is blocking the spray wand. Always like backwash is left on my upper rack. Never again with a maytag dishwasher. And still the this machine rates 9 out of 10 for performance. Go figure. Wonder who was the lucky one to get the other 9.
 3rd of Jun, 2010 by   tazjoe7 0 Votes
Well, I got my new quiet series in my new home purchased in 2007. I never had the latch issue, but I did have the dirty grime in the glasses especially. But my main concern was the control panel. It satrted a few months ago. I could only wash on one cycle for awhile. Then I would have to wait sometimes up to a few days for it to turn on to start another cycle. It basically worked when it wanted to. Well, after like 3 days, i think it has finally gave up. Im not sure if i want to invest in any money ordering whatever new boards it needs. It might be more ecomomical to just buy a new one.

But, I just stumbled across a recall a few minutes ago concerning a fire hazard. My serial number ends in LJ, so i believe it falls under the recall. Here's a link https://repair.maytag.com/prjjck10/default.jsp

Or you can call1-800-544-5513. They are giving the option of a repair, a $150 rebate on certain models, or a $250 rebate on other models. Since all my appliances are Maytag, I think I just might try the rebate option and purchase a newer model and maybe have some better luck. BTW, if someone starts a class action suit, you can count me in. Thanks.
 3rd of Jun, 2010 by   Doulasusan 0 Votes
I have had all the problems listed here with my 300quiet series and then some... Doesn't clean dishes... latch broke, had repaired...after repair, only one function worked...repairman came out again and had to replace the whole latch and brain...top rack bearings broke...so rack falls off every time you pull it out...the cost to repair will now be as much as a new washer...condensation runs down the front while washing dishes...This is a horrile machine...very dissappointed.
 13th of Jun, 2010 by   catcat 0 Votes
Add me to the list! What a hunk of junk.
The salesman at Home Depot pushed this thing so hard, I will not buy another appliance there.
My Maytag dishwasher is by far the worst I have ever seen.
As most everyone else said, the control panel went out, the motor had to be replaced, and the utensil baskets broke, along with some other parts on the racks. Since I have a home warranty, these were covered items.
What is not covered is the fact that the dishwasher does not clean the dishes.
I read about all the issues here and took the thing apart today, looking for any sort of filter or clogged pipe, it was all cleaned.
We rinsed off some dishes well, put them in, and dang if they didn't come out with the same gritty residue as before.
The only thing I have been able to do to improve this is to rinse the dishes, run the rinse cycle on the dishwasher, and then clean the dishes.
Well why am I doing all this????
So, a not so old dishwasher will be replaced this week.
Class action suit???

Sign me up!
 14th of Jun, 2010 by   Donna Mills 0 Votes
Thanks so much tazjoe7 for the recall notice. If I wasn't signed up to this website I wouldn't have known there was one. I hope everyone that has made a comment to his website calls the number taxjoe7 mentioned to make sure your house doesn't burn up. LOL. The number tazjoe7 mentioned was 1-800-544-5513. Maytag was really good at booking my recall appointment with no glitches! Nevertheless, the facility that represents Maytag came to my house to replace the bottom element that is a part of the recall (I wasn't about to invest 150 or 250 in another Maytag). I told him of my concerns (and that of yours), and he said to do this:

- check to see that there is a filter on the left side at the back of the machine that is a light blue in color (much like the color of the cutlery trays). Mine didn't have one when I bought it and should have and I have been running mine for over 2 years. If you do not have one, then ask the repairman that fixes the recall to put one in. It cost me 5.00 when the repair guy fixed the recall.
- to get rid of a lot of the challenges of film on dishes, and any cleaning problems you may have, take a cup of vinegar, put it in the middle of the upper rack, put one of those FINISH tabs (with the red dot on it) in the cutlery dispenser and run it on a full cycle without any dishes in it. He said it should make a difference. Kinda like when you use vinegar to clean out a coffee maker.
My repairman has been a Maytag (specifically) repairman for over 30 years and has evolved with the company and appliances. He said the "older" Maytags were high pressure machines where the force of the water cleaned the dishes well. You could put pots in and it would work. Since Maytag made the decision to "farm out to others", the challenges went up, they lost their quality control, and the consumer faith went down.
I am in the process of running a cycle with the vinegar and tab. We will see what happend to the dishes. Stay tuned for Part ? ...
 15th of Jun, 2010 by   Texicant 0 Votes
Add me to the class action lawsuit list. The rebate is only for another Maytag - why would I want another piece of junk? And my state doesn't offer the energy rebates anymore, so I'd be forking over another $350 minimum. No thanks!

PS take a look at "Maytag dishwashers recall: Is repair or rebate the best deal?"

Texicat [at] gmail
 16th of Jun, 2010 by   TRICIA from Long Island 0 Votes
AWFUL! DIRT, SAND, GRIT, ETC ALL OVER MY DISHES. NO MATTER WHAT I USE/DO. COUNT ME IN ON THE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT.
 16th of Jun, 2010 by   Donna Mills 0 Votes
Gee. Lots of angry people out there. Just try this. If you do what I said above your dishes will come out spotless.
Update on my last e-mail: THEY CAME OUT SPOTLESS - not a one had grit or film. Make sure you have one of those plastic filters on the left side back of the dishwasher first of all. Mine should have come with one but didn't. Now it works great after the cup of vinegar in the middle rack and the tab in the utensil tray and running it through a cycle with no dishes in it. A class action suit for a $500 dishwasher, like how much would you really get - and probably 10 years from now?
 22nd of Jun, 2010 by   JustDave 0 Votes
We bought the Maytag Quiet Series 300 about 15 months ago and what a lemon. It just doesn't get dishes as clean as it should and so we wash them all by hand and then rinse the soap off with the dishwasher. What a poor excuse for a dishwasher. I am somewhat relieved to find that others have the same complaints. I took the disposal unit apart (that is a yucky job) but there wasn't any problem there. I think it is just a poorly built dishwasher. The control panel sometimes works and the dishwasher is just a waste of money. That's not something you would expect from a $400 appliance. No more Maytags and that means I'm leery of Kenmore as well since they're both made by the same manufacturer. I think from now on its Bosch or Kitchen Aid for us.
 22nd of Jun, 2010 by   JustDave 0 Votes
THERE IS A RECALL ON MAYTAG DISHWASHERS AND YOU CAN EITHER GET $150, OR $250 OFF A MODEL WITH A STAINLESS TUB, OR REPAIRS TO THE CURRENT DISHWASHER.

For additional information, contact Maytag at (800) 544-5513 anytime, or visit the firm’s website at www.repair.maytag.com
 5th of Jul, 2010 by   rookie11 0 Votes
RUNNING LIKE NEW AGAIN! After a few years, we were very frustrated with the Maytag dishwasher not cleaning right, leaving soap residue and food residue on the dishes, especially the upper rack. We tried all kinds of different soaps, rinses, settings etc. But I think I've found the problem and solution and want to help others having the same problem - at the back of the dishwasher where the upper rack "plugs in" to the water source for the spray arm, there is a removable "socket". The rubber seal where the spray arm plugs in was deteriorated. It seems like the water must have been gushing out of the connection instead of through the upper two spray arms and likely affected the water pressure for the whole dishwasher (not just the upper rack). Replacing that part in the back, a $20 piece, has made our dishwasher run like new again. It's called Station D and is available at many online parts stores. I ordered mine from www.appliancepartspros.com. I still rate the dishwasher a 3 star because our door handle is broken although that hasn't affected the operation, and the dishracks are splitting/rusting. Now that it is working right, we might just replace the racks instead of buying a new dishwasher. Hope this helps get your dishes clean too.
 6th of Jul, 2010 by   DrBetsy 0 Votes
Wow, I was just looking for a replacement rack and found these comments. I have to agree, this thing is a piece of junk. It does not clean the dishes, the racks have disintegrated and the handle latch has broken. Mine does not seem to be too loud, however, that's probably because it is not cleaning the dishes! I used to swear by Maytag, not anymore!
 16th of Jul, 2010 by   b. carr 0 Votes
What a mistake. I bought the Maytag Quiest Series and it is a piece of junk. I thought I just got a lemon. I purchased the one with a stainless steel tub and the 3 racks. The end pieces falls off and even got down into the motor. This past week, the mother board is on its way out. It counts constantly from 1 hour to 9 hours to 47 and back again. I will never purchased another Maytag dishwasher again.
 23rd of Jul, 2010 by   ValleyGirl6896 0 Votes
I always thought Maytag was great, so I got the dishwasher. It kept breaking and under the 1 year warranty the repair guy would bring an entire new upper rack. When the 1 year was up and the wheels and hubs kept on breaking I found this solution www.maytagwheelhubs.com they sell stainless steel sets of hubs and wheels that will not break. Since I've installed them they it hasn't broken.

I will never buy another Maytag appliance! (Also had a Maytag fridge that was junk).
 24th of Jul, 2010 by   nsadler 0 Votes
I have a 300 series also doesn't clean dishes and leaves food on the glasses. I have quit using this piece of junk and started washing dishes by hand. We will NEVER have another Maytag product in this house. Why isn't there a class action suit or product recall on this. Not right to a company to sell something that doesn't work, because nothing these days is cheap.
 25th of Jul, 2010 by   T. Contos 0 Votes
We purchased a Maytag 300 ( MDB 3) quiet dishwasher in 2002 for $ 633.73 installed. The installation fee was 120.00. After 3 months the handle broke, and we had the Maytag Store repair man replace it under warrantee. after about a year it broke again at a repair cost of $ 100.00. At 2 years old in 2004 the contol panel died, that was repaired and replaced for 97.00.
During the next 3 years we had the handle replaced 2 more times at about 100.00 per repair. I replaced it 2 more times myself after I found that I could buy the handle at an appliance service company for 17.00 so I replaed it myself, takes about 20 to 30minutes max. I called Maytag's service center about the handle and asked the customer service tech if there was a recall on the handles as it wasn't normal for a handle to break once a year. I complained to the customer service tech that we had spent more on repairs during the last 6 years that the value of the machin.
He indicated that there was no recall, and that they have not had any abnormal problems with the handle. He sounded like he was reading the answers to my questions from a book. I said that makes perfect sence because the appliance parts warehouse store in Reno had 50 handles in stock. Either they way overpurchased handles or they sell the hell out of them. We only use the washer about once or twice a week. It cleans poorly, after trying numerous brands of detergent and rince chemicals we have resigned to the fact that for this machine to clean well the dishes must be clean before we place them in the dishwasher. We have got in the habbit of washing the dishes first by hand then placing them in the dishwasher for a final wash. What a waste of time this machine has been. Now when it runs it sounds like popcorn popping, along with a buzz here and there while washing. I think its time for the dump. It typically costs more for a major repair than the cost of a new machine. The previus dishwasher we had was a Kitchenaid it lasted 20 years. One repair during that period. We had good luck with a Maytag washer we purchased 15 year ago, so we thought we would try the dishwasher. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB. On my way to the dump. No more Maytag junk in this family. Crummy product and a factory customer service tech that has been obviously instructed to lie to the customers.
 5th of Aug, 2010 by   Rajiv Ramb 0 Votes
my problem is that when ever I press normal wash button, it just goes to the rinse button and that is what is highlighted only.

dont know if the controls have gone bad or if it is locked. any suggestions.
 15th of Aug, 2010 by   Not4Maytag 0 Votes
Absolutely agree with the last eight pages of heartache caused by this pitiful excuse for a dishwasher. I have disassembled is thing twice in the past three years and remove the arms to clean them every month and it still makes water glasses filthy and cannot remove wet yogurt from a bowl on either the top or bottom rack. It smoked on the heated dry and Maytag still said it was not defective.

If I wanted something that smokes and makes clean dishes dirty I would have invited the Sopranos over for a few years. It would have been less irritating.

Good luck with your next dishwasher because this one will never be worth the time, trouble, or money we have all wasted on this once proud American icon.
 21st of Aug, 2010 by   Deb_A 0 Votes
WE have the Maytag AWS 300 quiet series. Agree, it is 6 years old and after all the little things have broken our warranty is up and guess what? Yes, the pump went out but it only costs $300 to fix it. This is a far cry from a new dishwasher but we will junk it anyway. I would rather buy anything than have this one any longer. Dishes are left dirty the inside is dirty after washing, and on and on. Do not buy this dishwasher. Maytag should have a heart and recall this. I may never buy Maytag again.

Top 5 Franchises and Top 5 Things You Need to Know