logo

Specialty Auto Network
Scam/Not Worth It
3. (5 mins ago)
Thrive Extreme Health
Seller didn't inform to cancel subscription
4. (7 mins ago)
Tara <tara@tara-medium.com>
psychics and the like?!
5. (11 mins ago)
spasalon.us
They work slowly and took more money from the customers

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted:    sjd1950

maytag centennial washer

maytag
Maine
I recently purchased a new Maytag Centennial washer and dryer, This is, by far, the worst washing machine I have ever owned. The only difference in the clothes from when they go in until they comne out is that they are wet, not clean, just wet! This washer is 6 weeks old. Today I took my clothes to a laundromat just to be sure it wasn't my imagination, and for the first time in 6 weeks my clothes are clean! Little stains that my previous, 10 year old, washer got out easily do not even fade in this washer, even when stain treated. It also chooses the amount of water necessary for that load. It is barely enough to get the clothes wet! I have to stand there and keep opening the top so that it will add more water. I hate this thing. Do not buy it if you are looking for good value for your hard earned money.
Comments United States Washing Machines
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of Jun, 2010 by   LisaN +1 Votes
We have a similar machine that broke down 6 weeks after purchse. We are totally disgusted.
 21st of Mar, 2011 by   more junk 0 Votes
We purchased the same pair and have the same low water problem and clothes that aren't clean . One of the machines also likes to shrink clothes that have previously been laundered. Just another American company making crap outside the USA and selling it here.
 26th of Mar, 2011 by   barefooted1 0 Votes
I also have the misfortune of owning a Maytag Centennial Washer. After two and a half months of service it decided to stop filling with water. I called for a warranty service, the repairman came, checked it over and replaced the water sensor in the panel. I washed 1/2 dozen or so loads and what do you know? The washer did not want to fill up anymore. I called for a second warranty repair (this was the same week!). The repairman came, went over the machine carefully, tested parts, connections, wiring and such, replaced the same water sensor. The machine worked again for a grand total of 4 loads this time before the same problem recurred. Now the one year warranty states that after the completion of three service calls they will either refund or replace a defective machine if the calls are for the same recurring problem. It took them almost three weeks to send another repairman, who looked the machine over, did everything the other repairmen had done, replaced the SAME sensor and left. ONE LOAD later, I called him back and told him the washer would not fill, same problem, same recurrence. Then I also called Maytag's customer service line and said ok, this is what is happening. They called the repairman, had him return to my home, call in to their repair people, checked this, checked that, pulled the housing off the machine and went over the parts inside, put it back together and the best they could say was that my washer and stove were plugged into the same heavy duty surge protected outlet. (?) The upshot is my GAS stove is NOT electronic and the only power it pulls goes to the clock. When my electrician stopped laughing he placed a call to Maytag only to be told he was not "authorized" to give an opinion on the matter. Still fighting with them. This is my first maytag and will probably be my last. Good Luck.
 2nd of Aug, 2011 by   disgruntled former Maytag fan +2 Votes
I bought a Maytag Centennial Washer less than a month ago. It did TWO LOADS before it would not function as a washing machine, just a noisy nuisance. I tried to return it to Home Depot but they would not take it back, saying they'd just have a broken machine. I called Maytag and they arranged for a repair man to come out. He arrived here today in his Jaguar (I couldn't make this stuff up) and told me, "What do you expect. It's made in China. " He said that the computer board needed to be replaced as well as the lid lock. Once these parts arrive in about a week, he said he would then be able to diagnose any other problems the machine might have. I asked him if there was a new washer I could buy that didn't use a computer board but that was dependable. He told me to get a Speed Queen. Wish I had known that before I threw my money away on this piece of crap!
 16th of Aug, 2011 by   Darlene Peragallo +1 Votes
In 10 days I have had 2 Centennial washers, both with the same problem. The noise and no agitation with the first. The second had the same horrible noise and washed my clothes for l hour and 30 minutes before rinsing. This machine is garbage and hopefully will return this one and get a much better machine (not a Maytag).
 13th of Mar, 2012 by   Ramelle 0 Votes
@ Tammy - Why don't you get your BF to work for his nookie? Or is he not that kind of handyman?
 9th of Apr, 2012 by   Rejy 0 Votes
I absolutely hat my Maytag washer. It has not worked right from day one. From the comments I have just read, A lot of people have had the same problem. Mine does not put near enough water in to wash the clothes. I have even opened the lid after the clothes have been washing for a few minutes and some parts of the clothes are still above the water level. My clothes seem to not get clean most times. I use the high priced Tide detergent so it is not that. I am sick to death. I have had several conversations with the Maytag customer service. It was like talking to a robot. She just kept implying it was only me who was having a problem. All she could do was suggest I call a repairman. I think the Maytag company should refund our total purchase price so we can buy a washer that actually works. I am so angry at this point. Does anyone know where to go next?
 9th of Apr, 2012 by   Rejy 0 Votes
I just talked to yet another "robot" type customer service person. I am still being told that I don't know how to use a washing machine. I am 63 years old and have done a few loads of washing. I have been going round and round with first Lowes and then Maytag since the washer was 1 month old. I kept being told that there had been no complaints about the washer. Now I find this website and see that there are a lot more people in the same boat. After 3 repairs the washer is still crap. This time I asked for the number of the corporate office and was told there wasn't one. Well guess what! I found it. 1-269-923-5000. The girl I talked to tried to tell me that they had no complaints that had not been resolved. I tried to be nice and not call her a liar. I just told her that she had been lied to and read her some of the complaints on this page. I also told her that I didn't see how Maytag could actually call this thing a washer because it didn't actually wash the clothes. When I got my new Maytag I gave my 12 year old Sears washer to my mother. It is still actually WASHING her clothes. That is a lot more than I can say for this POS Maytag.
 14th of Apr, 2012 by   cariker 0 Votes
I have been a faithful Maytag user for the past 30 years. We purchased this Maytag centennial washer it is the absolute worst purchase of anything I have ever made. The whites turned brown, the clothes get just wet It will not ring out the clothes properly. My good work clothes I have to take to the cleaners because this thing wads them up and they look a hundred years old. I have been to the laundry mat several times due to the fact this this is not working. The laundry mat washers clean my clothes much better. I am so disgusted with the Maytag brand I will never purchase another one. Please do not waste your hard earned money on one of these washers. This washer has cost me a lot more than the purchase price due to the fact I have to take them somewhere else to clean them. The company say's we have not had any problems with that machine. Please do not purchase this washer. It SUCKS bad.
 5th of May, 2012 by   Rejy 0 Votes
Canker- Call the corporate office like I did. The number is 1-269-923-5000. At first they also denied having any problems with this washer. Then they agreed to send me credit for a new one. I used the check to buy a GE washer. So far it is great. I was so sick of the Maytag. Good luck to you.
 12th of Jun, 2012 by   Carole Watts 0 Votes
I also purchased the Centennial Set and from the beginning, my clothes smelled dirty - not musky - not a mold smell but simply DIRTY & the Dryer doesn't work as efficiently as my old dryer. To me, it's like my clothes have been soaked in dirty water. I don't have the time nor do I need a washer that I have to keep opening the door to get sufficient water to clean my clothes. I am not saving anything if my clothes smell dirty after they have been washed. I'm afraid there is nothing I can do except buy another set but I can assure you it will never be another Maytag. Wish I had my old washer back...clothes and bed sheets always smelled clean. I've always wanted Maytag because it WAS always better quality. Maytag, your good reputation is being sacrificed for a mistake that you need to resolve for your customers and stop making excuses for this washer. There is no excuse for a washer that doesn't get clothes clean. Right now, I am searching online for an old fashioned washer that actually cleans my clothes and makes them smell nice. Do us all a favor and remove the Centennial Set so that this doesn't happen to another innocent customer!!!
 27th of Jun, 2012 by   Wp2008 +1 Votes
Hello Carole. My name is Melanie and I am a representative with Maytag. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your washer. If still need assistance, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard), your user ID name (Carole Watts), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, and email the requested information to Maytag.Digital@maytag.com. We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Melanie.
 29th of Jul, 2012 by   DaVince 0 Votes
We wanted to do our part to conserve water, power, etc, and recently replaced our 20-year-old top loading Kenmore washer with a front load Maytag Washer (MHWE300VW). What a mistake!! Shortly after purchase from Lowes, it starting making a grinding noise. Soon it was so loud -- it was unbearable!!

I called Maytag and after waiting on hold for an hour, was told this wasn't a known problem with their washers... Also, if I wanted repair information, I could talk to a technician, but that would be $30. What kind of customer service was this???

Clearly Maytag/Whirlpool has lost sight of its customers and the days of standing behind a product at that company appear to be long gone. My Maytag washer is a hunk of junk and expect the matching Maytag dryer to go out soon.. I'm sure founder Fredrick Maytag is turning over in his grave...
 1st of Aug, 2012 by   Wp2008 0 Votes
Hello DaVince. My name is Melanie and I am a representative with Maytag. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your washer. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintBoard), your user ID name (DaVince), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, and email the requested information to Maytag.Digital@maytag.com. We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Melanie.
 2nd of Sep, 2012 by   philyer 0 Votes
We recently purchased this Maytag Centennial Model# MVWC400XW RSP washer an have complaints about it. First off, all conditions for good washing have been met: colors separated, water softened, plenty of pressure in line, high-deficiency soap being used ( just the smallest amount), Soap in first before cloths. As per the manufacture and store instruction. Soap used: All HE liquid detergent.

Now for the complaints. firstly, sometimes clothes come out and there are parts of them that have never been wetted thanks to the LOW, LOW water usage. Since there is so little water in the tub now the water if fully filthy with dirt and broken fibers from the clothes. So what happens, now the clothes come out after washing, dingy and with white stuff on the fabric. Sometimes my tee shirts come out smelling like they have not even been washed. We have had to wash the cloths twice without much success the second round. Finally we have had to revert to taking the clothes to a Laundromat to really wash them. We have tried all the settings and experimented but have not found any cycle selection or option that will wash the clothes.

Specific examples: Content/Settings/Results

Clothes: Whites, 2 bed-sheets and 5 pillow cases
Settings: Deep Clean:off, Temp:warm, Normal/Heavy Duty, Fabric Softener: off, Extra Rinse: on
Results: There were parts of the bed sheet that never got wet!!!

Clothes: Dark, permanent press, 4 pants and 3 shirts
Settings: Deep Clean:off, Temp: cold, Normal/Regular, Fabric Softener: off, Extra Rinse: on
Results: White film on fabric and not clean!!!

Clothes: White work shirts tee shirts, qty 10 some off color, all light color
Settings: Deep Clean:off, Temp: warm, Normal/Regular, Fabric Softener: off, Extra Rinse: on. Note: HE soap and no bleach
Results: some came out dingy and definitely not white, Some smelled like they were never washed.!!!

For the past month we have done our laundry at the Laundromat. Do not buy this machine!!!
 13th of Mar, 2013 by   Geraldine Goodson 0 Votes
I bought my Centennial set about a year ago. The washer went out so they brought me a loaner. A Centennial washer just like mine. Well today the loaner went out to will not spin the clothes that i washed today are wet in the washer and no way to get them to spin. I think this Maytag brand is a lemon. I might ought to change before I get them paid for. They were purchased through a rent to own company and I like about 6 more months owning them. Do Not Buy These Maytags...
 18th of Mar, 2013 by   Wp2008 0 Votes
Hello Geraldine Goodson. My name is Amber and I am a representative with Maytag. We truly apologize for the frustrations you have experienced with your washer. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please email us at Maytag.Digital@Maytag.com and provide us with your complete contact information as well as the model and serial number of your appliance. Please also include the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard) along with your user name (Geraldine Goodson), and your ticket number (37846). We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Amber.
 20th of Mar, 2013 by   Menotti 0 Votes
Wow...I am glad I found this site. I have owned the set for two plus years and have absolutely hated the washer from day one. Our clothes are not clean. There is never enough water to wash or rinse the clothes. Extremely dissatisfied with this Matag Centenial. Worst washing machine I have ever owned. I am now in the process of finding a new machine. The new washer will not be a Matag!
 21st of Mar, 2013 by   Wp2008 0 Votes
Hello Menotti. My name is Amber and I am a representative with Maytag. We truly apologize for the frustrations you have experienced with your washer. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please email us at Maytag.Digital@Maytag.com and provide us with your complete contact information as well as the model and serial number of your appliance. Please also include the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard) along with your user name (Menotti), and your ticket number (38128). We would be happy to review your concerns further. Best regards, Amber.
 2nd of Apr, 2013 by   georgebailey69 0 Votes
It's very simple. The level / temperature switch is failing prematurely. My neighbor's washing machine failed during the warranty period. The replacement control failed Friday. My level / temperature switch failed a month after the warranty expired. The replacement is working for now. My ex-wife has the same washer (MVWC6ESWW1) and her level / temperature failed 3 months after the warranty expired. She's on her second switch, and hoping that this one doesn't fail. To recap...3 washing machines...a total of 4 defective controls, plus three controls
purchased at our expenses (approximately $260.00) out of pocket. Now Amber, pay attention...the problem is part # W10248240. I can't say it any plainer. Again, that's the WATER LEVEL & TEMP. CONTROLLER W10248240.TWO OF THEM ARE REVISION G, AND ONE IS A REVISION E. They are made in China, and my guess is that you knew you were using inferior parts to reduce your costs, and generate profit from service calls and replacement parts. What a horrible business model for Maytag! For many years, your company had a pretty good reputation, that you have squandered to make a few extra bucks. You probably don't care what you're customers think about your washing machines, but I can tell you..PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO PAY ATTENTION! The appliance repair folks in my town will tell you exactly what I'm telling you..THIS WASHER HAS A DEFECTIVE CONTROLLER! The appliance parts guys will tell you...THIS CONTROLLER IS DEFECTIVE AND MAYTAG KNOWS IT! THAT'LL BE $88.39 PLEASE.. WE SHOULD HAVE IT IN 3 DAYS. Shame on you for being so petty and dishonest about this defective part. There was a time when American companies built American products and guaranteed what they built. They staked their reputations on the quality of their work. Was it worth using cheap, defective parts to save a few cents, at the cost of alienating your customers? You have a lot to learn about treating your customers honestly and fairly.

Mobile Phone Insurance Fraud