logo

FAKE ID SITES NOT A SCAM
FAKEID REVIEWS ARE POSTING FAKE REVIEWS
2. (2 mins ago)
ID CHIEF LEGIT?
Not a complaint just question!
3. (2 mins ago)
Stay Away!!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, Scottsdale, Arizona Complaints & Reviews - Refusal of Service

Mayo Clinic Scottsdale Contacts & Informations

Mayo Clinic Scottsdale

Posted:    Zipper

Refusal of Service

Mayo Clinic Scottsdale
Scottsdale, Arizona
After 15 years as a patient and scheduled appointments with 3 specialists at the Clinic this year,
the primary care department and Dr. Bruce Kimbel, M.D., (who has been my doctor for 10 years) have
refused to schedule me in as a patient to see him
because I have not been into his office for 3 years.
I received no notice of this policy and they will not
reinstate me. This is bad because your Primary Doctor at Mayo is the one that schedules blood tests, chest X-rays, colonscopy, gives shots and schedules
you with specialists. That Department and the
Patient Liaison Dept. have both refused to re-instate
me. I am a Medicare patient with Supplemental insurance and I have agreed to personally pay any
additional costs that my insurances will not pay.
I have always done this in the past. I cannot under-
stand no loyalty for being a long-time patient, not
notifying me and them not listening to my request
for reinstatement. My husband is also a patient
of Dr. Kimbel but he has not been denied service.
I was in Dr. Kimbel's office 90 days ago with my
husband. Now, I cannot see him for myself. Using
Mayo Clinic as our primary health care source was
one of the main reasons we moved to Scottsdale. Has
anyone had this problem?
Comments United States Doctors
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

26th of Aug, 2009 by   DocLisa 0 Votes
Zipper- I am a family physician in Texas. It sounds like your family doctor has decided to stop seeing Medicare patients.

My partner and I also made this decision last year. Medicare patients typically are difficult to care for because they have more complex health problems and thus need more time in the office and pose a greater liability to the physician. Unfortunately Medicare pays physicians very little for the service they provide, if they pay at all. The government has a bad habit of not paying their bills on time. If you have listened to the news lately many of the auto dealers that participated in the cash for clunkers program have not received payments as promised by the government. They are now in a financial crisis and some have had to repossess the cars they sold to their customers.

The doctors in my area recently went 6 months without receiving payments from Medicare because the company they hired to process claims was "running a little behind schedule". All we could do was sit and wait. This put many physicians in a bind. Our own collections ran so low that I we did not have enough money to pay our payroll taxes when they were due. The IRS then placed a lien on our clinic! We had to pay huge penalties to get ourselves out of the mess with the IRS. I was pretty ticked off to be treated like this by the government when the government was to blame for our financial crisis to begin with. My partner and I had been frustrated with Medicare for years but this was the final straw for us. The only reason we waited so long to close our practice to Medicare patients was because we cared about the impact it would have on them.

You have to realize that your doctor has his own bills to pay. When he is forced to choose between continuing to seeing certain patients versus laying off his employees or going bankrupt he has to make a difficult decision. Instead of blaming your doctor you should blame the government for the terrible job they have done managing Medicare, Medicaid, the Veterans Health Administration, etc.

There are some other things you probably do not understand. When a patient has not seen their physician for 3 years they are no longer considered an active patient. The doctor patient relationship essentially expires after this period of time. Patients who see their physician again after a three year period are then considered "new" patients. Your doctor probably did not notify you that he could no longer see you because you had dropped of the census of current patients. It is not economically feasible to expect a doctor to notify every patient he or she has ever seen when a policy change is made, this is why the 3 year rule exists. Had you been in to see your doctor recently you probably would have received notification of some sort. Your doctor is now unwilling or unable to establish a new doctor-patient relationship with you because you have Medicare. I am willing to bet you will have a difficult time finding another primary care physician. Most doctors that continue to contract with Medicare have closed their practice to new Medicare patients. They simply cannot afford to grow this part of their practice.
 20th of Sep, 2009 by   Goodyear 0 Votes
My Mom was treated for breast cancer and my parents are on medicare and have a good supplmental policy from Boeing but when my Dad's diabetes caused his heart to stop at his non-mayo cardiologist office we couldn't get him in for a second opinion at Mayo. Then when my Mom needed a family practice doctor on their side of Phoenix (an hour away from Mayo) she was told that they were no longer taking Medicare. My dad is a retired corporate attorney and he had to pull every string he could (her oncologist called up to get her in) to get her in to be seen (she is also now diabetic). but they refuse to treat him.. Having connections isn't how this should happen.. If the best clinics in the country only treat the health wealthy our health care costs will continue to go up not down.. It is greed pure and simple

So when the doctors were in medical school and Medicare was paying the cost of their residency and interniship at an average of over 100k a year do you think they hated Medicare? It works out to be a 400, 000 grant (not a loan ) for almost every doctor in the US and it is that money that they are supposed to pay back over the life of their practice..

If any doctor refuses to take Medicare they should immediately be required to pay back the full cost of their education plus interest (which is about 700, 000 each).. How easy to suck on the Government and how soon they forget where their got their education from.

Lets stop paying to train specialists and watch the primary care shortage correct itself in a few years. Ahh yes my doctor who makes on average as a specialist over 350k a year has bills to pay? What his second home on the lake, his kids private school. give me a break..
 1st of Jun, 2010 by   Dicouraged 0 Votes
I have not yet decided whether or not to pursue a complaint or even further action against the Mayo Clinic, so I will not go into detail about my care recently at the Methodist Hospital in Rochester. But I would like to comment on the condescending tone of the above note from a physician. They state, "You probably don't understand..." Patients are much more aware and understand much more than physicians give them credit. When they are in your office, they are often in a weakened and vulnerable state and so this makes them easy victims to dismiss. They are simply too tired, sick, and terrified to confront the physician with his rushed and dismissive ways. We understand you are stressed and pulled in all directions, do you think this is not also happening in our lives as well. There is a dangerous quality among some physicians in which they elevate themselves high above the rest of the population. They become dismissive of the "mortals" and therefore dangerous. This attitude is probably much more prevalent in prestigious hospitals and institutions. In this difficult economic time where the quality of medical care appears to be declining everywhere you look, maybe it would be best to go to a doctor who respected and listened to their patients rather than those who are presumed to be "the best". In my case, had anyone listened to my concerns about their "medical decisions" they would have avoided both horrific incidents that occurred during my hospitalization. I raised specific concerns on more than one occasion, and I was brushed off. As a result, I am still suffering the side effects. One brave staff actually admitted to me that it was the hospital's fault but I am sure the records do not reflect that. I have worked in hospitals and know the CYA game. And yes, boo hoo to physicians who are not getting paid immediately. What gall one must have to make the above comment in response to a story of someone TRULY suffering. The patient may suffer a terrible quality of life and possibly even die due to lack of medical treatment, but YOU were stretched financially...Please! Yes the government can do a better job, but physicians should be part of the solution, making sacrifices to combat these challenges rather than turning their back on those who desperately need help. Just like the rest of us do every day in our jobs and our lives.
Stealth Pilot,
You chose your occupation, and you knew that 36 hour days were included. I've been treated at Mayo in Rochester. I consider it the best, and I know it sees everyone. If you work there, you know the First Ethic of the Clinic: "The interests of the Patient will always come first". If you do work there, and cannot abide by those ethics set in stone by Drs. Mayo, leave. You don't belong at Mayo, at any of its campuses.
Stealth Pilot,
What is your occupation?
 6th of Jul, 2010 by   Ricky_O 0 Votes
I don't think you are going to find too many doctors pulling 36-hour shifts; except on television. It's so dramatic. Some interns, very, very rarely, maybe, but 12 to 18 is more realistic; and again those are interns and a few, very few residents.

More important, most people going to doctors have real ailments, not nuisance complaints. This is especially true at Mayo, given that most of the patients seen there are referrals, ie. they have already been seen by other doctors who could not provide a resolution. Since you have not been seen at Mayo, you would not have anyway of knowing that. A lack of knowledge is commonly referred to as a certain degree of ignorance; which is not normally used as a pejorative as you have chosen to use it. Personally, I know I am ignorant is many areas. I wouldn't try to perform surgery, engineer a building, or even fly a helicopter (since I haven't piloted them in about 40 years and I'm sure they are different from what I remember); but then again, I don't think a doctor has the legal knowledge that I have, and I would guess that neither do you. However, I am not about to call you 'ignorant', or 'lacking', or try to ridicule you publically for not having such knowledge. It may just be sarcasm on your part, but I just don't understand why you need to go there. The initiator of this thread had a valid issue; others had valid and respectful input, and then someone decided to call people ignorant. I just don't get it.
 6th of Jul, 2010 by   Ricky_O 0 Votes
That could be true, but how do you think it's going to look in the eyes of a jury looking at a suffering patient after the fact, and maybe worse off because of the actions? Which way do you think the court case will go?

And how much would it cost to get to that deciding point?

I would think that it is better for cooler heads to prevail and look at the options before regrettable actions or irresponsibilities are taken, no matter what the law states. Saving a few bucks only to have to spend millions on each single litigation later just doesn't make good business sense to me.

Remember, we are talking Common Law and Tort Law in these situations. It's probably not what you think it is like.

Just my own humble opinion.
Dicouraged,
I might suggest to you, in Rochester, there is a Patient Services Department in the Gonda Building, on the first floor, that is there to hear any complaints such as the condescension you mentioned. I once had a questionable situation occur with a nurse practitioner, and had no concerns in bringing it to their attention.
Hope that helps.
 2nd of Sep, 2010 by   fed-up with poor healthcare +1 Votes
mayo clinic in rochester, mn. has sharply declined.after enduring two painful extremity surgeries, first procedure failed, second surgery failed by a so called expert my care needs were not met.multiple screw ups by dr. and staff.i complained to patient affairs office only to be politiced around and threatened that the doctors would not help me with health concerns and told i had to sign a contract, if i would not sign it they would refuse to provide any health care.i will not sign it.this sounds illegal.mayos only concern is greed and cya-ing.has anyone heard of such contract between drs. and patients.mayo clinic needs better management.
 13th of Dec, 2011 by   mudflap76 0 Votes
i had a baaad experience with mayo clinic in scottsdale, AZ. They are a joke. for a simple MRI 7000 dollars, went through and on an ANCIENT scanner. Few months later i need another MRI and outsourced it to a MRI place near my home that was cutting edge and a super modern scanner for 500 bucks... what the heck mayo? Both out of pocket. Then the doctor was all fidgety about doing it elsewhere when infact it was higher resolution at the cheaper place. two weeks later he cancels on me! Talk about a rip off, avoid mayo clinic, they are nothing but a scam. Most of the doctors students are all amatures. One of my friends dad was KILLED by an ignorant mistake by a student doctor. Its a school and filled with nazis doctors with crazy ideas that end up killing patients. You never hear the bad because of their million dollar marketing. its a sick scam. Most of the damn nurses are immigrants as well as doctors. Its just a big fat money grab.
 13th of Dec, 2011 by   Ricky_O 0 Votes
That's not been my experience. I've found Mayo to be the BEST in my entire life. As an aside, I've seen medical facilities with great new equipment, but that equipment isn't the best choice for the MRI that is needed. Personally, if someone was going to offer me a specialized MRI for $500, I'd turn around and run like hell.
Calling any instructional medical facility 'filled with nazi's' is just plain ridiculous. I hate to tell you, but just about every hospital is an instructional medical facility; you just aren't informed enough to know so. I also hate to tell you that sometimes, PATIENTS DIE. We all die, and most die after receiving medical care, which was the best effort, but for one reason or another, was not able to save them. Personally, I'll stick with Mayo. I consider it the best in the world, and can give you first-hand examples of why, if you have a couple of days to hear about them.
I just think you should seek out medical care elsewhere. I doubt you are going to be happy there either.
 13th of Dec, 2011 by   mudflap76 0 Votes
nice try...are you paid by mayo clinic mr.ricky? people do not come to the complaints board to praise corporations... unless you are paid to do so. people come here to complain just as i am! This place is sick. what the heck is this world turning to. So much for informing... when the latter is filled with 'people' trying to counteract our words of wisdom. People die... really? you sound like a bad fox journalist. spreading shenanigans.

Useful Information About Overdraft Fees