logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
American Laser Center
Fraud, possible class action lawsuit
2. (19 mins ago)
Wyzant.com
They are a horrible company and I urge any who wish to tutor not to bother with these scam artists
3. (32 mins ago)
Leor Skin Care
They started to steal from us
4. (1 hr 9 mins ago)
Scam/ Fraud

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Liberty Taxes Complaints & Reviews - Deceptive business practices!

Liberty Taxes Contacts & Informations

Liberty Taxes

Posted:    Edgar R.

Deceptive business practices!

I had my taxes done at Liberty Taxes In San Diego, California. I went in to do my state taxes only. The office submitted my federal taxes (without my permission) and now no one wants to get back to me. I still have not received copies of my paperwork (state or federal).

I've left several messages at the local office, no one returns my call. Now they've even removed their greeting.

I've called Corporate, which submitted a ticket to a lady named Nancy. Nancy emailed me and said that she would contact the office. It's been two months. I've emailed Nancy back and she no longer returns my emails. No one is communicating.

Corporate office

Office Address: 9350 Clairemont Mesa Blvd STE E
San Diego, CA. 92123
Office Contact Numbers(s) Ph. (858) 541-1040
Comments United States Tax Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

23rd of Apr, 2008 by   Orion +1 Votes
I had worked for the Liberty Tax office in Melbourne, Fl in 2004. Well James Burke the so called owner used me and my girl friend to advertise his business. Well we did are job and apparently he fired her and then did not pay me my last pay check. I was in the offce on New Haven Ave, in Melbourne and I looked at my final check and said to his people that there must be a mistake with this because I was short some money. My check should have been $350.xx and change. Well he came up and ripped the check out of my hand and gave me a paper cut. He said I am not paying you anything, and ripped up the check in front of me. He said get out. I insisted that he pay me what I had earned. So I walk out side to call the police and his assistant came out and threw baby wipes at me, which a Melboure Police officer was at the stop light and seen the whole thing. Well to this day James Burke did not pay me, I contacted the wage and hour office in Orlando and I did not get anywhere. They did make contact with him after months hiding from the Government. He refused to pay me after they advised him what could happen to him. I had lawyers contact him from day one, and he wrote lies back to them, and wrote me saying I am not affraid of your Pre Paid Legal Services. Well I did let every person and business know what he did to us and then I recieved threating letters from his so called lawyer saying that I needed to stop slandering his business. Well its not slander. Mr. James Burke rom Liberty Tax in Melbourne and Palm Bay, FL did not pay me. I did ignore those letters. Well he needs to be a man and a business man and pa his employees. When the day comes he pays me, then I will let every one know that now I did get my final pay check from James Burke. But until them he will always be remembered in every ones eyes and minds that he uses people and then does not pay them their last check. Here are the address and phone numbers to his locations:

Liberty Tax Service‎ -
1902 N Wickham Rd, Melbourne, FL‎ - (321) 259-4668

1120 Highway A1A, Satellite Beach, FL‎ - (321) 872-7000

Liberty Tax Service‎ -
401 N Wickham Rd, Melbourne, FL‎ - (321) 752-3949

4700 Babcock St NE # 18, Palm Bay, FL‎ - (321) 956-7899

1153 Malabar Rd Ne, Palm Bay, FL‎ - (321) 872-1040

Also their corporate office is in Virginia Beach, VA.

Corporate office
Liberty Tax Service
Headquarters Toll Free: 800-790-3863
1716 Corporate Landing Parkway
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454
Office AT libtax.com

I did also contact them and I never did get anywhere with them. They said since each office is owned and operated thees nothing that they can do. I advised them they need to pull his franchise agreement and they refused. So my best advised is Do Not get any of your taxes done at any Liberty Tax office anywhere. Also before I worked for James Burke, I went to his office in Palm Bay, FL on Palm Bay Rd and yes his office did mess up my taxes too. I only got a couple of hundred dollars back from te IRS. But with the same deductions afterwards, the year after that and so on, I got between $2500 and $3000. back from the IRS. I think there is something wrong with that picture.
Liberty Tax does not care about their customers or their employees:(
 2nd of Jun, 2008 by   James Burke -2 Votes
I am the owner of two Liberty offices, not all the offices listed. This employee was terminated for filing fraudulent expense reports and inflating the number of hours worked. He has been invited numerous times to take this matter to small claims court if he feels he has been wronged. He has verbally abused female employees of my business in the most vulgar manner you can imagine, and yes, the police have intervened because of his outrageous and violent behaviors. This is not a consumer dispute, it is an employer/employee matter that should be aired in front of a small claims judge if this individual believes he has a legitimate complaint. It is not our policy to pay fraudulent hours or expenses.
 15th of Jul, 2008 by   Paul J +2 Votes
Hey Edgar,

I recently did my taxes with Liberty and also have ran into problems with them. This WILL be the last time I ever deal with this operation. This office was located in East Texas, I sent a complaint in to the corporate office and also got an email from Nancy stating she would have the office call me. They have tried to call me several times but I do not want to speak to them; this is only because I don't want to get on the phone with them and get ticked off.

They made two mistakes, the first was the question I had about being eligible for the lifetime learning credit. I asked them if I was able to claim this even though I had paid it from government loans? The guys answer was No you cannot claim this. At the time I did not have time to research this myself, and as far as I am concerned I shouldn't have to when I am paying so called professionals to do this for me!! Otherwise, what in the ????, ARE WE PAYING THEM FOR??????? I have done my research on this and have found that you can claim this and this is a little over 3k that I should have already had.

The second problem was asking them to do an amendment for the recent mortgage debt forgiveness. All they were supposed to do was report that the 1099 I had fell under this act. Well instead they were nice enough to tack it on as income which put me in my family in the hole about $1500 bucks.

So to this day I am attempting to get this redone. Here is the sad part, I recently took my papers to an independent CPA and told them what Liberty had done was wrong. This lady sat there and tried to tell me that it was correct on them adding it to my income. I even pulled some papers printed out from the IRS showing HOW and WHAT they are supposed to do. She still looked at the papers and was determined to say she was right. I had to stop her and to tell her to READ the entire paragraph of the page and then tell me what it meant. Well she finally understood it. My only point here is where in the world are these people coming from, are they handing out CPA license at your local grocery store???

What is really disturbing about this is think of how many people in America are not getting ALL of their refund. It is their money, they don't owe the government any more than what they say or any less. We put our trust into these outfits that we see popup everywhere around tax time.

Somehow I don't believe what James Burke is saying. You know most outfits would pay the $350 just to not have the slander and bad publicity. It isn't worth their time and money.
 10th of Nov, 2008 by   Tanisha 0 Votes
A couple of years ago I had my taxesx done at liberty tax and I did not get what I normally get with the same income year after year.Last year I actually worked for a Liberty Tax in GA.I think that it depends on the individul office and the training of the people.I never ran into anyone whose taxes I completed that had any complaints.I am so sorry that this was a bad experiance for each of you.
 5th of Feb, 2009 by   astyles +1 Votes
I hate liberty tax, , , , , dont ever, ever, goto the one in calumet city, Il...they tried to charge me $409.00 for a single, head of household, one child no realestate...very simple claim...I complained and they took $200.00 off...but not before this mexican ghetto girl named Roxanne Gomez...was rude talking loud ...and kept saying loud to me "you should have never signed it"...Completely unproffesional and talking loud...I had to go off on her ...I'm like dont talk over me you $2.00 an hour b*#ch. They had to drag the wild child to the back because she wanted to fight me...But really that wasnt the safest route for her to take. Being that i have to pray not to kick a b&*ch butt...Point is when i go to handle my business, I dont expect to deal with trashy employees...if i want to fight i will go the the hood and stand on a corner, ...
 6th of Feb, 2009 by   Cosmic Zamboni 0 Votes
Mexican ghetto girl? You should have been thrown out of their office with your Archie Bunker biggotry. Your racist comment reveals far more about you than it does Liberty Tax.
 6th of Feb, 2009 by   Someone in KY 0 Votes
I used Liberty Tax service last year to file my taxes, and absolutely nothing was filed correctly. I first had issues paying the IRS last year, when the form they gave me to mail in with my payment was the incorrect form. Therefore I spent lots of phone hours trying to get the money applied to the correct debt. This year I switched to H&R Block. They realized that Liberty Tax didn't even file my state tax last year! I have a 1099, so nothing is withheld upfront. Either way, I paid them for a service they didn't deliver on. Now I'm stuck owing back taxes. Will not do business with this company in the future.
 10th of Feb, 2009 by   Mrs. Z 0 Votes
************WARNING*******************************************************Liberty Tax Services In Orlando FL @ 5600 W. Colonial suite 307, 32808

Tax preparer's are recruiting teens in the neighborhood and giving them fictitious dependent name and SS #'s and in return charging them $700.00 in cash for the info.
 20th of Feb, 2009 by   Kristal 0 Votes
I recently went to liberty taxes to make sure they where done correctly.You see i never recieved my $300.00 Stimulus pay last year and wanted to be sure to get it well liberty taxes charged me $300.oo so it was completly pointless.What a RIP OFF!! NEVER AGAIN
 27th of Feb, 2009 by   very upset 0 Votes
I just had my taxes done by Liberty in Princeton WV, I applied for the RAL 24-48 hour return. The young lady who done my return messed up and put me down for the 8-15 day loan. I called the office probaly 5 times a day for 20 days with no return there for me, finally on the 20th day I spoke with the general manager Debra Bailey, who finally told us that our check would be here in a few more days, when asked about a refund of the fees, she states that they do not have to return them, although they charged $203.00 for their services, which did not do us any good because we did not get the rapid refund. Debra Bailey was also very rude in explaining this. Also when the return finally came, it was for the wrong amount, come to find out the young lady, Stephanie Dickerson, who prepared the return, calculated it wrong. Even with this, Debra Bailey, her manager says they still do not have to return the preparers fees, or even a portion thereof. I have called their corporate office a few times as well, all they say is you can speak with the general manager, after that failed they say they will have the area developer call us, we are still waiting on this call. The main point of this comment is to let you know that Liberty tax service has been the worst service I have ever had, they have people employee's who do not know what they are doing! They also do not try to make any effort to look into any manner, it is if they beleive that the public can not do anything about their poor service, that we must just take what they give! However, this is untrue in our situation, because I plan to seek legal representation, and I also suggest anyone else who has means of doing so should look into that option! As long as people let things like this go, the corporations will continue to rob people of their hard earned money. When services are bad, they should be refunded, but at least looked into.
 6th of Mar, 2009 by   pissed in PA 0 Votes
my wife used liberty in state college PA-they charged her 300 dollars, it took 3 weeks to get the check and it was 600 dollars short. they wont answer the phones or return any calls!!! this is a hoax. never again will we use them, any one who does is an idiot...just look at all these complaints!!! how is this legal, how do we fight back? in a time like this with the economy in such bad shape people NEED their money and these people are ripping EVERYBODY off!!! i cant believe nobody has burned the place to the ground yet!!! i feel like me and my wife were RAPED!!! this is NOT the END!!! their WILL be justice and liberty for all!!! we as a community NEED to stand up and boycot that place!!!
 11th of Apr, 2009 by   MissJay 0 Votes
I used to work at a Liberty Tax, in SoCal! Sad to say I got a lot of experience messing peoples taxes up... Now I am at a better spot where you do get trained and there is always a manager that actually knows the answers! Point is that they just hire anyone that is up for $7 hr and thinks they can actually get somewhere working for them! Dont go there!
 17th of May, 2009 by   bigdan 0 Votes
liberty tax helps the good ghetto folk commit fraud with coaching I was a manager imagen that i had no prior experince and i was in charge of 6 other preps and a whole office for 300 bucks a week liberty and fraud they go togather like bread and butter dont ever take your taxes to a liberty tax store you will not be happy with them and they will steal your refund if they can
 17th of Sep, 2009 by   LTS in GA +1 Votes
I am the owner if a Liberty Tax Franchise in GA. As a franchisee it pains me to hear all Liberty Tax Service offices condemned because of a few bad apples. Your experience will only be as good as the (ongoing) training the franchisee provides. There are many offices out there that provide outstanding customer service and know what they're doing...it is up to you as the consumer to make sure you ask the right questions and make that determination before allowing ANYONE to prepare your taxes. Every year it amazes me how so many people gloss over when I talk to them about the value they get from using us (including hours open during the off season, money back guarantee, explaining how or why their refund is what it is) only paying attention or asking questions when we get to the bottom line...their refund amount and the fee. Take responsibility for understanding every line item on your return, ask questions and you will be able to quickly determine if you're dealing with a knowledgable preparer/company.
 17th of Sep, 2009 by   nicodimus 0 Votes
check this out I said i dont care
 21st of Oct, 2009 by   notalibertytaxfan 0 Votes
Liberty Tax in Snohomish, Washington f'd up my taxes, kept all the records I gave them and never got a copy to me, and after numerous calls and complaints to their head office they finally sent me a copy of what they said they filed, which is not what the IRS said they got. Instead of owing $900 and change the IRS says I owe them $7, 000, because Liberty did not file my return correctly. It is now November 2009 and I have still not resolved the issue with the IRS, and penalties and interest are accruing. I am now on a payment plan with the IRS just to keep them at bay.

Never, EVER, use Liberty Tax, especially if you want service after the sale, which I have not gotten. Just lip service and BS.

I should have used H&R Block, which never failed me before. Liberty was convenient and cost less (up front), and now I am paying for my error in judgment for using them.
 1st of Nov, 2009 by   MomX4 0 Votes
I have been battling with Liberty for 1 1/2 years over my 2007 taxes. It started out at a franchise in North Dakota; they shut the doors with no advance warning & without filing my taxes! After calling corporate, I received a call from a district manager in South Dakota. He assured me he would take care of everything. After 3 months, and my extension deadline approaching, I hired an attorney because no one would be straight with me about what was going on. Finally managed to get my stuff back & take to another CPA. Now the battle for my penalties & interest, plus lawyer fees that should NEVER had to have happened! Lawyer sent letters to DM letting him know either pay up or we will sue, but no response. Called corporate AGAIN, and guess what? DM is in jail & all his franchises are shut down & all are in turmoil. I am one of MANY! Worst part is they sell this guy a franchise knowing he was in prison a few years back for investment fraud! HELLO!!! I may never see my money although this guy should've had insurance...but did Liberty ever verify it & if not, are they liable then? Total nightmare that has consumed the last 18 months of my life & thousands of my dollars! Thanks Liberty, I really appreciate it!
 19th of Jan, 2010 by   marissa j 0 Votes
I filed with Liberty this year and clearly I am unhappy.I am a single mother who waitresses. my income is barely anything.I have been looking forward to taxes for months now and Liberty has done nothing but give me the run around. I call and they say they'll call back.Each time I speak with someone-its a different person with no idea whats going on and each fail to provide me with answers. I have been given the same 800 number 3 times to call and get answers? You know what I get then? I get told that they are unable to give me the answer because of course it is an automated service. This was my first year filing with them and it will be my last. sincerely disappointed.
 2nd of Feb, 2010 by   Stephsserenity73 0 Votes
I went to Liberty Tax Service here in Louisville KY on Shelbyville Road. I am a single mother, head of household who made around $34, 000.00 last year and the only reason I made that much is because everyone in the company that I worked for lost their jobs 1/23/09 and we all received a severance (sp.) package. After we got done with everything and I asked what the fee would be she (the lady who did my taxes) looked at me and said $440.00! My mouth hit the floor! $440, are you kidding me? She called the franchise owner over and he looked at me and said "we'll take $100 off but that's all we can do" then he walked away. I looked at the girl and said "well I guess there is nothing else I can do, they've already been done." She didn't say anything, she knew I was upset and she knew that I was aware that it wasn't her fault this was happening. I am absolutely furious. I have gone with independent firms and never been charged this much. I even filed my 2008 taxes and had the independent firm do an ammendment to my 2007 taxes and I was only charged about $200.00. I will tell everyone I know that they should not use Liberty for any reason unless they are loaded and don't mind losing money. If you are reading this and haven't filed, do not use them unless they are willing to give you a quote and also found out that really I could have walked out of there without signing and filed my taxes somewhere else but they didn't share that with me! Oh well, what goes around comes around...I hope the franchise owner is enjoying his money for now!
 11th of Feb, 2010 by   jmptax 0 Votes
All tax companies charge per form, so the more forms you have the greater the amount of your tax prep fees. Amended returns are always less expensive then a full return. If someone comes in and qualifies for several credits, the more expensive their return will be, but also the greater the amount of a refund will be. Soon it will be a requirement that all people who prepare taxes will have to pass some type of certification exam, when this happens, the price of all tax preparation fees will probably increase as a result. Liberty Tax has gotten ahead of this by now requiring all of their staff to pass an certification exam before they can prepare taxes. Most offices have someone on staff who is more knowledgeable than the tax preparer and they can go to for assistance in areas that they lack knowledge. I apologize for any disheartening experience, but this can happen with any tax company. When choosing a company, ask questions, find out if they have someone on staff who the less experience tax professionals can go to to ask questions. Remember, everyone has to start somewhere, you can't just automatically know everything. Dealing with people is difficult, and can be very emotional and draining. Sometimes people think they qualifity for a certain credit, like educational credits and don't. Or understanding that the education credits is a non-refundable credit, which means they only lower your tax liability but do not result in a refund. There are different types credits, non-refundable and refundable. Only refundable credits result in a refund.

Consumer Warning About Gift Cards