logo

Business in Trouble???

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Kohl's, Gainesville, Georgia Complaints & Reviews - WARNING! Return Policy & Gift Cards

Kohl's Contacts & Informations

Dawsonville Hwy
Gainesville, Georgia
Phone: 678-450-1211
www.kohls.com
Kohl's does not care about their customers! All they care about is the dollar and how they're going to keep it and their return policy proves it! It is NOT customer friendly AND their gift receipt is not worth the paper it is printed on! They are doing nothing but lying to their customers making them think that the people they give their gift to can bring the gift receipt back with the item purchased and it will work the same as the original receipt! In other words, leading them to believe they will get their money back and getting a gift card is not getting your money back! That is nothing but a lie or is that the way they treat their customers with their original receipt? I received a gift for Christmas with the gift receipt included that had been purchased from Kohl’s. I had to take it back, Dec. 26th, to the Gainesville, GA store located on Dawsonville Hwy. When I presented the item with the gift receipt, I was told they could not give me my money back. Instead, I had to take a gift card. This made me MAD and I’m still MAD today and I’m going to make sure everybody knows about it!!! I was NOT given a choice between a gift card or money. The decision was made by someone who doesn’t care if they have satisfied customers! I talked with the manager and I asked him what if I couldn’t find anything to purchase with that card and it didn’t matter. He told me he couldn’t override the gift card because it was store policy. In other words, I was stuck with it. I had to take it or do without. He also mentioned something about if my gift had been charged on a charge card, then they couldn’t give me my money back either. I don’t know if it was or not but even if it had been, why were they punishing me? Why couldn’t they still give me my money back and keep the charges on the buyer's card and bill them as they would if I hadn’t returned it? Their stores don’t carry that much of a variety and nothing I’m interested in. If I had wanted clothes, I would still be trying to find them today because of the way they are displayed at this store. So many items are separated by size NOT style and the styles are all mixed up. For example, one rack is all Large and may have hundreds of styles all mixed up together. We have to go through each item before we can tell if there is anything there we like or not. I have talked with several people and they don’t look at those items either for the same reason. It would take forever before we would even know if there was anything there that we liked or not. Also, I am not a jewelry person but I finally had to settle on some just so I could get finished with their store once and for all and stay out of there!!! In other words, I had to settle for something I didn’t want but it doesn’t matter to them! I feel as if I didn’t get a gift from my daughter because of Kohl's mess! They got their money that’s all they care about and then making sure the money spent on the gift stays in their store! They force people that have returned items to shop in their store and that is not right! Apparently, future customers don’t matter to them and at this rate, they will have less and less! If they did what was right, they would have given me my money back and let me decide where I wanted to spend it instead of forcing me to purchase something I didn’t want or need but this proves they don’t believe in treating their customers right!
Comments United States Clothing, Shoes & Acc
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

28th of Dec, 2007 by   Scott Johnson 0 Votes
I do understand what you are saying about being able to get your money back. However may stores (I believe Walmart, Target and Sears among others) if you have a gift receipt and/or no receipt they can only exchange for the same item or give you a gift card for the item. Next time you may have your daughter take back w/ original receipt. Then she may be able to get the money back & give it to you.

However, you do raise a point. It was your daughter's money & if you don't like the store it's kind of pointless to give you a gift card :(

Pablo
 8th of Jan, 2008 by   nancy b 0 Votes
Kohls is a very nice store in my area. They have always taken back items for me without an issue. Most of my clothes come from Kolhs. They rock..
 10th of Jan, 2008 by   Dozer +1 Votes
Completely disagree with this complaint.

Gift Receipts prevent people from running scams. If you make a counterfeit gift receipt, why should they give you cash? Or if you use a credit card, why should your return be in cash? You could just keep buying yourself "gifts" return it, then get cash.

If anything, it's your daughter's fault for not knowing that you wouldn't like whatever was given to you, or that you wouldn't like Kohl's.
 31st of Jan, 2008 by   jenna evans 0 Votes
If you really felt that strongly about kohl's, why didn't you have your daughter return it with the original receipt once you learned the policy (which is very common, by the way)? And even if she didn't have the reciept, why are you complaining? You didn't lose any money. It was a gift. Yeah, it may not have been what you wanted, but if you actually took the time to look through the clothes racks instead of running home to complain on some website, you might have found something you liked better than the jewelry.
 27th of Feb, 2008 by   Jordan 0 Votes
I have worked at a Kohl's for nearly two years. It clearly states on the bottom of the gift reciept that a store credit will be issued when returning with a gift receipt.
 12th of Apr, 2008 by   Amanda 0 Votes
I agree with Jordan. I do not work at Kohl's but shop there frequently. It does state on the gift receipt that you will receive a store credit.
 18th of Apr, 2008 by   Schroeea 0 Votes
what store gives you money back with a gift receipt? it's a normal policy that is stated on the back of the receipt and in the store.
 15th of Sep, 2008 by   Katie 0 Votes
I completely disagree with this complaint. You just sound like someone whose complaining for the sake of complaining. This is standard retail policy which can't be changed on a store level. Irrational and irate people like you need to think for a minute rather than constantly trying to make those around you suffer because you didn't get your way. In short, GET OVER IT!
 15th of Oct, 2008 by   JB 0 Votes
Your an idiot. Congratulations on making the world aware of it.
 2nd of Apr, 2009 by   JerseyGirl08005 0 Votes
I was told by a manager if you pay with cash or debit card and you have the original receipt you get cash back, everything else is KMRC or better known as Merchandise Credit. If you don't' like Kohls you should have told your daughter this ahead of time therefore you wouldn't be in this situation. Your money? Its your daughters money.
If she paid with a Credit card and gave you the original receipt you still would get back KMRC.

I agree with Dozer. people would be running scams
this is a good thing for parents or people who have relatives on Drugs they can't get cash back.
 21st of May, 2009 by   jt12 0 Votes
kohls return policy clearly states that returns made with that gift reciept will be for the original purchase amount in store credit. thats all there is to it.
 6th of Jun, 2010 by   Martha Rodgers 0 Votes
I returned an over 200.00 item to kohls giving to me by my late Mother In Law. I did not want to ask her for the receipt because I was afraid that she would be upset because I was returning the item for something else. She lived out of the country at the time and I was sure she would not notice that I did not have it when she returned to visit. I could not just exchange the item, Kohls made me get a corporate refund and said that I would receive the refund in the mail in 7 days. I felt funny leaving my merchandise there with no refund, but I did. After 7 days and no refund I called Kohls to find out why. I was told unless I could furnish a receipt, that I may not get a refund and pretty much accused me of stealing the items. I called Kohls several times and told them that I do not have the receipt. I asked to talk to manager after manager. I told them that I was going to call the police because they were the one ripping me off. They had no proof that I stole the items. Finally a manager agreed to send me the refund on a Kohls merchandise credit card. A month later I received the credit. I was in tears thru all of this. I should have sued!
Now every time I go to Kohls in my area they follow me around. What is wrong with them?? Good Grief.
 17th of Oct, 2010 by   lor345 0 Votes
A key problem with Kohl's gift card policy is that if you purchased an item where you combined your gift card value with your Kohl's credit card to make the purchase (such as $50 gift card and $15 Kohl's credit card for a total of $65), and then you return the $65 item, you'll get a store credit for the $65 purchase, but still be forced to pay for the $15 portion of the purchase that you put on your Kohl's charge.

That's exactly what happened today. Even though I've returned the item with the receipt, and received a store credit that I haven't used yet, I still had to pay for the portion of the item that was put on my Kohl's charge, even though I returned the item.

In addition, when Kohl's sends out mailers saying "use your Kohl's charge and save up to 30%, " you can't use your store credit with the savings mailer. Kohl's says this is just for credit card purchases. So, another month I had an $85 bill for a purchase with 30% off from the store mailer, while at the same time, I had a $71 store credit that I wasn't allowed to use if I wanted to save the 30%. I paid them $85 for my Kohl's charge bill in the same month that I had the $71 store credit.

I plan to use the $57 that I have in store credits and then never shop at Kohl's again!
 13th of Dec, 2010 by   TheKyle 0 Votes
You're a fucking crybaby. Be happy with what you get, holy shit.
 28th of Dec, 2010 by   Gerty 0 Votes
Kohl s Suck!!! They claim to have a "No Hassles Refund Policy" All I see is hassle after hassle. All I am saying is either practice what you preach or shut the hell up!!!
 13th of Mar, 2011 by   linbin1 0 Votes
What an idiot! Every store does that. No one gives cash back unless YOU paid cash/debit/check yourself. Gift receipts do not qualify you to get cash. Maybe she should have yelled at her friend who cared enough to get her a gift in the first place. Some people...
 22nd of Nov, 2012 by   Gross family 0 Votes
i also tried to return a gift with the receipt..bought it with a $30 dollar giftcard and paid $20 in cash...but I wanted to return it a week later they said they can only put the money on a giftcard...and that is bullshit..I have no issue getting back the $30 dollars on a giftcard but the $20 dollars i paid in cash should be handed back in cash no quastions asked...I am very upset with that policy and will not shop in Kohls anymore

Staging Your Home for a Sale