Jan-pro is a BIG SCAM. They will be very nice to you up to the point that you give them your money, then it all changes from there. This is not a business you are basically working for Jan-Pro like an ill treated employee. The contracts are underbid and the operation managers lie to franchisees all the time. If Jan-Pro cannot find a contract for a new franchisee they will take it away from an existing franchisee, this means they make money (sales and marketing fee) more than once on the same contract. I know some people who make less than minimum wage on some contracts they actually have to take money out of their pockets at the end of the month. If you want to sign up with Jan-Pro say goodbye to your money and hello to a headache.
Complaint comments Comments (28) Complaint country Canada Complaint category Cleaning Services / Laundry

19th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
Please Do not buy a Franchise with this company of Augusta, GA. They promise you things and don't stand up to it. From a friend of mine they lost a lot of money with these people. This company is nothing but a scam and give people jobs that not worth working. The list of numbers they give you to call sometimes don't be the right numbers to other franchisee.Basicially, Jan-pro(Franchisor), is like a general contractor, who gets you accounts to clean for anything from $200.00 dollars a month to $1000.00 and up, ( alot of under bidding goes on as well)you the franchisee(self contractor)goes out and cleans the under bid account(s) for much less then you think you are getting paid, first off jan-pro charges a big percentage for royalities, insurance, management fees, etc...(trust me they don't manage nothing)

also, since you are basically a self-contractor, when you receive your check no taxes are taken out just jan-pro's cut, so that way they send you a 1099 tax form at the end of the year, which means you have to pay a sh-t load of money for taxes, while they use you as a tax write off, also jan-pro has a form of modern day slavery going on...what I mean by that is if you worked the whole month of January, you wouldn't get paid until the end of febuary, and by then you would be getting utilities cut off, and you would be behind in bills, etc...

Also, even though they market that they grow your business for you they don't once you get your accounts that you signed up for they send you out a certified letter stating that they have 'FULFILLIED' their legal obligation..even if you lose some accounts, they still won't give you more accounts to replace those accounts, even if you lost them and it wasn't your fault.

Also let's say you think you are making $5000.00 a month, your nor, because they are taking their cut out, and ' uncles sam' will take his, remember that and if you do the math on that type of income you will owe the irs more than $10, 000 in taxes, even if you have all of your business receipts... IN A NUTSHELL, ... DO NOT INVEST IN A SO-CALLED COMMERCIAL CLEANING FRANCHISE...

13th of Apr, 2009 by    +1 Votes
5000.00 Per Month if this is the number your working with there would be aproximatly 20 to 25% the company would take for its services and 15% would be a resonable amount to withhold for taxes leaving about 3800 remaining monthly. You had mentioned 12 accounts and I am not sure of the frequency of visits or the size of each account that would determine the hours invested into each account. It sounds like a fair amount of money and you really don't have to worry about the accounting aspect of the business. Please believe me that the collections, bookwork and accounting is a real bear to keep up with.

I plan to look at the The Uniform Franchise Offering Circular and in that circular thee is a list of other franchise owners that will share with me or anyone else their successes, likes and dislikes are for Jan Pro and its operation including bidding practices. The dicision to make this work really needs to be base on all the facts and some old fashoned research. I apreciate your input and I will take it to heart but I will also contact many of he other franchisors to get their take on the business opportunity offered by Jan Pro. I am sorry you had what seems to be a very frustrating time.
 6th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
Michael, I have been a Jan-Pro franchisee for 3 years now. I am based in Tennessee. The opportunity is NOT a scam. It is 100% legitimate. I know many successful individual franchisees who work anything from part time twice a week for $300 a month, to those who have incorporated and employ half a dozen people making $5000 a month. However, there are drawbacks, as with every business opportunity. The master franchisor does take 20% of your business income in royalties, fees and insurance. And if you lose an account after 12 months they are not obliged to replace it.

Email me at tsgrainger@gmail.com if you have any questions, as I will be pleased to offer you my opinion.
 6th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
This is a total scam. They gave me accounts that payed less than minimum wage! I talked to people who had there accounts taken away for no reason. They also fine you for litle things. How is anybody supose to make a living making 4 to 5 Dollars an hour! I'm now involved in a Class Action Lawsuit were people from all over the country are comming together to stop jan-pro from hurting so many people. Please call me if you would like more information 909-684-1837
 10th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
Tommy I already e-mailed you 2 weeks ago and you haven't responded ! Call me I have questions for you. 909-684-1837 or my e-mail Grvz5247@cs.com

Tommy I'm waiting for your call or e-mail.

5th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
Jan-Pro of Greensboro, NC tells you that you don't work for them but you work for yourself. I made $2020.00 working for Jan-Pro and only brought home $678.00 which turns out to be less than minimum wage.My Jan-Pro purchase vacuum broke after a few uses, I had to buy another one after they didn't offer to let me use another .I cut my losses and got out .I was working 7 days a week and only cleared $678.I was pushing the mop but That Midget Wayne "Boris" Cross made off with all the money, yes Boris as in Natasha and Boris and he has that sneaky grin to match. Don't buy these Franchise! They prey on people that's not working and drill in you that this is your business.Hey Boris, what is a "sweat Equity"?That was one of the fees they took $561 out.I was the only one sweating.

6th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
i am also a jan-pro franchisee. And, i'm to the point that i'm exhausted with dealing with jan-pro. I have been with them for close to 3 years and i have experience a spiraling downfall with this company. From a supposed 60k annual income to realistically making less then the poverty line. as well, dealing with the ingnorance of their sales team and not quoting actual cleaning rates, undercutting and having the franchisee's work for peanuts, and then get shafted with all these managements fees. It is ridiculous!
And yes i understand that people have been succesfull managing this business. At the same time, it's individuals that have no means to make it in other industries. This company targets poor somewhat uneducated hispanics with no legalities to be in this country, and rapes them financially. Since they don't have a voice they deal with all the unfair business tactics, and since franchisees like this are taking the abuse, we all must as well. i want to know more info on this civil law suit. i called tommy, so if you read this please contact me freely
 8th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
I seem to be the only contributor who has had a relatively positive experience with Jan-Pro over the last 4 years.

No business or business opportunity is perfect. You have to be prepared to put in the work, though you will never get rich with a cleaning franchise. You ARE working for someone else - at wage rates THEY set and manipulate.

You should be aware of this from the very start.

You should also be aware that commercial cleaning is probably the most competitive industry in the USA.

However, it's not true to say that they prey on minority groups or people who can't make it in other industries. In fact, some of the most successful franchisees I know are from such minorities. It is not in Jan-Pro's interests to scam individuals, believe me.

I must have a very good sales team working for me. They work closely with me in pricing new accounts and add-ons. But times are tough right now. I have had to accept extra work at no cost to the customer to keep the account. Prices are being driven down, even though Jan-Pro's hourly wage rate has increased from $12 to $14 in the last 4 years.

As for the claimed class action lawsuit, we are all covered if a judgement is made in favor of franchisees. Don't loose any sleep over it.
 17th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
Please read the following link that talks about the National Class Action Lawsuit we have against jan-pro.
 25th of Aug, 2009 by    +1 Votes
i have to say me and my wife have bought a franchise in western south carolina and they have been more than fair with us. yes it is hard work but it is extra income, you have to be willing to put in the work.
 9th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
I am very happy with Jan-pro It is not the place for glorified employees but for business owners. That the diference beween owners and employees.
 14th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
i am interested in buying a unit, can someone ( owner) give me some further insight.
i am young and in college, i am trying to make a buck as a business owner.
Please feel free to let me know what's up.
 3rd of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
Perform due diligence. That means do your homework. If you want to own a business, run it like a business.
 4th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
This person who calls himself the voice of reason is someone from corporate at jan-pro. How can you people sleep well at night ripping of so many people. You people are sick.
 18th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
I agree totally, when I signed with Jan-Pro from the 1st check until now, I've had problems that nobody can seem to answer for me. I also noticed that everything done with them should be in writting! Better yet, don't fool with Jan-Pro, if your looking to build a foundation under youself. The biggest problem that I had with them is that I was told that 10% would be taken out of my payment, but in fact there was an extra 10% taken out of my check when I received it! Further more, I had no problems with any of my account til it came time for the contracts to be expired!! Last, but not least, it seems to me as if Jan-Pro has personal relationships with the customers even before the contract is being service.
 19th of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
Nope, just a franchisee.
 22nd of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
I bought a Jan Pro franchise 6 years ago. At the top of the business (2008) I was billing 20k per month. I was doing none of the cleaning myself, and I was taking home close to 7k after all my expenses. This is no lie, and no, I'm not some corporate employee. Then the recession hit and boy did it hit me hard. I had 3 large accounts that were about 15 k of my billing. All 3 canceled around the same time. Now I'm billing about 4k per month and bringing home maybe 2k. Needless to say Jan Pro is no longer my main income source. But I gotta say, when it was good, I was making some Easy money. I've heard MANY nasty stories about jan-pro and believe them all. They do pretty much whatever they want if they think they can get away with it. You need to show them from the beginning that you are a smart business owner and you have the means and ability to take them to court if they mess with you. Stand up for your Rights, don't be Afraid of these guys, they're just a bunch of folks trying to make a buck just like you. If they try to take an account from you, fight them for it. Go to the customer and have them write you a letter on your behalf. Jan-Pro is deathly afraid of anything in writing and will back down immmediatly.
 22nd of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
This is just more information for any current Jan Pro franchisees out there. I can't stress to you enough to get everything positive you can in WRITING from your customers. It's you against jan-pro. They are NOT your friends, they are in this to make a profit. Their profit comes from selling and reselling accounts. You job does not stop with the cleaning. Get your evaluations every month. Make the customers YOUR clients, not theirs. Tell the customers they have to call YOU if there is ever and issue with the cleaning. Trust me, if jan-pro sees you doing this and showing them in writing you are a smart business owner, they will treat you well (as well as jan-pro will treat a franchisee anyway). Keep all your evaluations and ask for positive reviews, this will keep those little pesky ops managers away from trying to take your accounts. GET IT IN WRITING, GET IN WRITING, put this on your mirror in the bathroom. Look at it every morning, trust me, this is the only way to win against this franchise.
 24th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
Janpro changed their agreement this year, and since i can't afford to loose my small franchise i had to sign the new agrement...i had no choice and i'm pretty sure they can do that as many times as they want...is either take it or loose it..
unhappy franchisee from Portland
 4th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I just recieved the notebook for 14 days and was researching the company. I am confused can the system work at all, depending on how you startegize your approach and francisee are not doing so or is the company really a scam because the BBB rated them an A- which sounds great to me.

Atlanta, Ga.