HSBC Retail Services

Posted:

Credit card ripoffs!

4.5
It seems that Credit card companies are ripping the user of their cards. I constantly have to watch for their little tricks.

I have a Best Buy credit card handled through HSBC Retail Services, City of Industry, CA and Wilmington, DE. I made a purchase on March 15, 2007 and decided to take advantage of the 90 days same as cash feature. Their records show that I paid the full amount on May 11th, so I was well within the 90 days. It now appears that I will have to pay an additional $10. Why? Because I did not make a payment between March and May. Dana in Customer Services stated that I am required to make a payment, even though I fulfilled all of the other requirements. The ten dollars is a penalty fee for not making a timely payment. OUTRAGEOUS, SHOCKING, SHAMEFUL, UNPLEASANT, DESPICABLE, OFFENSIVE, AND CONTEMPTIBLE!!! If I pay in full before the 90 days is elapsed I should not have to pay any additional amount.

I fully intend to contact everyone I can think of to vociferously protest and inform them of this action. Their customer retention will drop by at least one due to this action.

Complaint comments Comments (115) Complaint country United States Complaint category Banks

Comments

10th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes

Household Bank / HSBC - High interest rates

Household Bank or HSBC. I have been a customer for over 5 years and spent thousands of dollars. I have never missed a payment or been late on a payment. I called and asked them to waive the $39.00 annual fee charge and they refused. They said it was impossible. So i asked them, they would rather lose my business over 39.00 and they said there was nothing they could do. So i closed my account. There are plenty of other cards at much lower interest rates, i suggest you go elsewhere. Henry
 19th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes

HSBC Ltd., India - Irresponsible customer service representatives

Dear Readers,

I am holding a savings account with HSBC Ltd., Thane (W) branch in India for the last 2 years with my father as the Jt. Account holder. Recently for some personal reason we both wanted my fathers' ATM / Debit card to be blocked, so I called in through the telephone pin verification mode and requested the customer service representative to block his card, she told me that the Jt. Account holder has to call himself and put this request. Hence, I called my father who is very old in the late evening hours and requested him to speak to HSBC and get his card blocked. I also informed him that he must specifically ask the bank not to block my card; the number was read out for him which he noted.

He then called the Bank and asked them to do so, the reply from the other end was "DON'T WORRY UNCLE, IT WILL BE DONE" and he called me and informed the same. Then three days later I was to leave for an official trip out station and the day before I was leaving I went to an food place and used my card, out came a surprise that this card is to be taken away. I was very frantic and called the customer service. They all the time gave me different answers and excuses for my card being blocked for security reasons. My tour and appointments came to standstill since this was the only bank that I have an official operative account.

Somehow, I overcame this big obstacle created by HSBC, India and on returning I am told that they have recorded the conversation with my father and he had asked them to block my card too. Now this was contrary to the logical impression given to me that the card holder must call in particular to block his card.

I would therefore recommend that keep away from the customer service persons of HSBC, please visit the bank and sort out your issues with this bank and then too do not expect them to be responsible for your account handling. This is a group of persons who enjoy at other cost and do not shoulder any responsibility. Please stay away from this bank in India and be careful always have another bank account if you are banking with HSBC exclusively in India.

Rathin Kumar Das
26/421, Triveni,
Adarsh Nagar,
Prabhadevi,
Mumbai - 400030
 21st of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
My payment is due Saturday... 6/23/2007. I made the payment online today... 6/21/2007. I was informed that they would not post it till Monday due to the due date being on Saturday (a trick of the trade that makes them millions). They will credit my account when I get done taking them to the Attorney General of Wa State. I have had nothing but headaches since dealing with these clowns for past 3 years.

George Rainha.
 18th of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes

HSBC Credit Card - Raised bill instead of not using the card
India

My name is Mohammed Aslam Hussain, holding HSBC Credit card.

I have never used it, Still HSBC bank people have sent me the Bill of Rs. 2,832.77 INR. When I inquired with customer care people they are stating that I have purchased using HSBC credit Card. I want to know the details where in I can submit my complain and strict action is taken against the Bank people.

I suggest you to stay away from this credit card company!!! This company has raised bill on my card for no apparent reason.

Thanks,
Aslam
 17th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes
Dear Sir,
I had forwarded you request on 28 feb 2007 with reference to the matter that had not received my credit card no. 4384599912524187 and it has been misused. This was informed to you to take the suitable action, But in spite of that today I got a call from HSBC lawyer Mr. R.K Verma, That they are going to take some legal action ,this call disturbed me a lot as I was considering that some action has already has been taken on this matter and I was not found guilty.

I am again listing the facts with evidences I have already explained;

1) I had received a mail on 30 Dec 2006 that my credit card application is registered under application reference # 200636291986.
2) On 08 Jan 2007 I received a mail that my application is approved and application reference no. was # 200636291986
3) I was at Baddi unit of Macleods pharmaceutical Ltd. At that time when I filled the application.
4) I was in Mumbai from 2 jan 2007 onwards so it is not practically possible for me that I can receive the card being at Mumbai as delivery address was of macleods pharmaceutical baddi dist solan (HP) .
5) On 23 feb 2007 I received my first statement at Baddi plant and I was informed on phone by my Baddi office that bill shows outstanding of 45000/- Rupees approximately . I called to customer care and told them to block this card immediately.
6) Also on the instructions of customer care I had submitted an application of mishandling of credit card at HSBC Bank branch ,stationed at Kamala bhavan Swaminityanand marg near Garvare house Western express high way Near old Bhar cinema Andheri (E) Mumbai.
7) On 17/09/07 I had received almost ten calls that warrant will be issued to me if I will not pay the settlement amount . But in between time span of almost 6 months I had not received any communication from HSBC bank.
8) As in this whole sequence I had cooperated with the bank a lot but as I got calls today Mr. Rajnesh Sarin directly told that this fault is not from banks side as he wants to indicate directly the delivery of the credit card in the correct hands is not banks responsibility and ones the card is handover to courier there is no responsibility lies with bank that credit card is handed over in right hands or not.
9) As per his statement any personnel working in courier services which banks are utilizing for card delivery is authorized to misuse the card if he/she requires.
 16th of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes
I have had nothing but headaches since I purchased two quads through HSBC. They have racked up so much in finance charges and "late" charges they I can't afford to pay. I continue to pay my monthly amounts and they just keep racking up more charges. I don't know what to do with them. Now they call me 4-5 times a day. I feel like I'm being harassed by them and taking advantage of!
 21st of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes
HSBC/Value City: For the first time since using the card, my payment was late by a day due to oversight. I requested a one time 'courtesy' reversal of the late charge. It was refused... the threatening letters have gotten more strident since [I refuse to pay and charges are added every billing period although I have closed the account]. The latest letter is tghreatebnong collection hassles and ruining my credit. I will simply ignore the crooks... especially now that I have learned all the adverse stuff on the web about these people.

Thanks for the info.,
Amelia.
 30th of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes

HSBC Credit Card Division - Repeated calls about balance transfer
India

I have done a biggest mistake by getting HSBC credit card. From last two months I am getting daily 2-3 calls regarding BALANCE TRANSFER FACILITY from their end. I have told many times to them that i am not interested, still they are calling me everyday. Even i requested them to put a remarks their with my no. that I don't want to get any call from they, though they are sincerely giving me calls everyday without fail.

Can anybody tell me how to deal with this ??

Their no. are
011 30895100
011 45592400
 30th of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes
I absolutely agree with you guys . Today I had the worse experience with a customer service representative from hsbc retail services. my brother who is in college was late for the first time since he opened an account, I received a letter stating that they can help you maintain your credit in good condition, all you have to do is call and they will work with you, so I call them and I got the most unpleasant person on the phone, he told me he had the power to close the account whenever he wanted to, and he needed a payment today not next week, I tried to explain things to him he was not hearing it. Finally i insisted on speaking to a supervisor and he told me that there was no one else that I could talk too. He wasted 25minutes of my time by playing games on the phone and being so rude, I have his name and Im writing a letter to the ceo of that company, you dont need people like him and when I said to him where on the best buy CONTRACT does it say that the account can be closed by being 30 days late and no notice, he said we dont have to go by the contract, so he broke every rule with better business bureau act.
 31st of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes

HSBC Retail Services - Credit card rip off!

I have a terrible experience with HSBC Retail Services. I have a Best Buy account with them. I was on vacation in September from the 21 to the 24. My bill was due on the 21. Being that I was on vacation, I called them on the 22 to pay over the phone. The operation told me that the bill was a day late and I have been charged the $39.00 fee. The following week I began receiving threatening call and a collection letter even though my last bill was not due until October 21. This is my last transaction with with. The next time I want a store credit it will not be with HSBC.
 7th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes

HSBC Finance Corp. - Bad service!

I canceled my account with this company June 19, 2007. I paid my balance in full at the time. Since then I have received 3 billing statements. Each time I have called them and told them that this account is closed and on what date I closed it. Because of their $35.00 late fee I have a new balance of $82 and some change. Latest, I just received a telephone call from them, 11/7/07 at 5:30 pm stating that since I turned them into the better business bureau, my account balance is now $0.00 and they do have it on record that the account is CLOSED!
 9th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes
I agree completely. These people call at 3 o'clock in the morning and are extremely rude. I dealt with a woman of uncouth behavior yesterday saying "You know what your problem is.." and so on. She was way out of context and completely unprofessional. Maybe she was used to people being intimidated by her or actually listening to her garbage so I just thanked her for her time and hung up, all the while she continued her rampaging.
 13th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes
I am also facing the same problem. I have received HSBC credit card in march 2006. I haven't used the card at all. I had put an application to cancel my credit card in August 2006. I thought it got cancelled. Last month I got a SMS that I have to pay 4000/- Rs.
 23rd of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes
Dear sir ,
I had taken your life time credit card no is 4476929992032893 due to your request.
That time your Executive said that no any charges will requred to pay for life time .but up to till I not use my card Then I get your bill Statment of dated 10 Nov, 2007IN which you applied Bill Statement Rs. 100 Charge. It is not correct .So pl. Cancle Then i Can use your card in future . You can call me on my cell 9860290818 my name is Pavan M. Nahar
 29th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes
I agree with everyone else. This is a very Poorly run company. My husband received a collect call from this company, which he hung up on then called me with the number to call back. When i did a guy answered. I asked him what was hsbc, he refused to tell me because i was not authorized on his account. I told him i am not asking about the account i just wanted to know where and who was calling him. he was very rude and still would not tell me. I ask to speak to a manager and he stated there was no manager to speak to. I then hung up and waited awhile then called back and got a lady who then told me everything i need. I work in retail and can't imagine ever treating my customers that way. I wonder if they ever realize why they can never get payments or why people cancel their cards. i guess the people who own this company don't care what is going on!!! So guess what were not the problem people IT'S THE COMPANY!!!
 9th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
I have purchased Hewlett Packard computer stuff and got 90 days with no interest. So I used their on-line web site to pay, but for the last two weeks their website says it is having tech difficulties so I can't pay on-line at this time. I wonder if they take their own words serious enough because they guide you to their website while you are on hold (takes a long time to get someone to answer their customer service phones) and tell you that you can make a payment on their on-line site. Yet it has been down for the last two weeks, mostly off.

I love HP stuff but I don't care for HSBC at all.
 14th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
I have a bowflex through these clowns. I never recieved a bill from them then they started with the calls I answered the first one explained to them I had not recieved a bill this guy was nice gave me my account number over the phone and there address. He told me my payment was 40.00 a month and my due date was the 20th of the month. I made the payment through my banks online bill pay then made a 50.00 payment the first month after that and a 40.00 the second. thats when it started they were calling me telling me I was late and that I had racked up a 39.00 late fee because my payment is due on the 13th or 14th depending on the billing cycle. I explained to them I didn't have a statement so I had no idea when the payment was due. again I was refered to the online services. So I thank him for informing me and told him I would make my payment on the 14th of Dec per the billing cycle. I thought it was over well no I recieve another call from a rude threating individual stating that my payment was over due and I needed to make my payment today well the online fuction for my bank was down I told him it wasn't due till the 14th and I would make it then long of the short I ended up hanging up on him and made my payment the next day I don't need the stress but what made me write this was my payment wasn't due until the 18th of Dec and that little jerk lied his butt off to get the payment do you think they get bonuses for this type of behavior or is there one section that is nice and another that are jerks. I have a reqular credit card through HSBC and do not have a problem with them but this account SUCKS.
 19th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes

HSBC Classic Credit Card - Card Cancelled by HSBC without any Information
HSBC
hsbc.co.in

Hi
I have HSBC Classic card, I have used my credit card once to Purchace the Jwellary and latter on i have converted my bill amount in to the EMI. After one month HSBC says that they have cancelled my Credit Card without informing me. And now they told me to pay the all amount. What should i do in this case i am ready to pay the same EMI.
 5th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes
Completely agree with everybody else here. I purchased a Samsung HDTV through HSBC Retail Services back in July 2006. My terms were no interest, no payments, same as cash for 18 months. Back in September 2007 I paid off the remaining balance on my TV, well before the December 07 end of terms. Come October, I received another statement to my surprise stating I owed even more money that had appeared on my previous statements but had considered them interest charges should I not pay the TV off by the end of term.

Come to find out these fees are from a Debt Cancellation or Credit Protection program that I supposedly signed up for and approved but I have no recollection of approving that. I think I waited about a week or 2, then called HSBC to put the fees in dispute and also to open a claim. 2 months passed and in the meantime, my account went into collections since I was waiting to see the results of the claim. During this time I received several, and by several, I mean at least 3-4 calls every Saturday and Sunday from a Collections agent, which I ignored at first because I didn't recognize the number. Now collections is telling me that the claim has been closed and that I approved the debt cancellation with a checkbox on my original application.

Suffice it to say I feel that HSBC is extremely dubious and misleading, not to mention most of the CSR's I spoke to were outright rude and unprofessional. They oftentimes talked over me when I was trying to explain my situation and were extremely pushy. Never before have I dealt with a company as disreputable as HSBC and once I clear up this situation, which means paying way more than the TV is worth, I will cancel the card and never do business with them again.
 10th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes
I just got off the phone with these clowns. Their billing policy has always been to mail out the bills as late as possible so that you only have one or two days to get it to the mail, however this last time I'm thinking they got delayed with all the holiday mail and I didn't get my bill till 1 day after the recommended mail date.

I called to complain, but the only thing they told me is that if I was having a problem that I'd have to just set up online bill pay or register a complaint with the postal service.

These people are pure slime and will actively try to screw their consumers over. I would highly recommend never getting any credit through these people.

HSBC Logo HSBC