logo

Biotrim Labs
Company charges for nothing
2. (0 mins ago)
Direct TV
Unauthorized withdrawal from debit card!
3. (22 mins ago)
Fox News

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

HGTV Dream Home Complaints & Reviews - 100,000 contest is a rip off!

HGTV Dream Home Contacts & Informations

HGTV Dream Home

Posted:    Lo Ke

100,000 contest is a rip off!

I am very concerned about the contest that you held recently for the home viewers of the HGTV Dream Home in Winter Park, Co. As far as the $100,000 give away went,... when the announcer asked the audience to call in to give the answer to the mystery question, I along with everyone else in america was trying to get through. That is why, when I called and received a busy sign, I was not at all surprised.

But what really got my attention, is that one call that I made to your network did get through, as a matter of fact someone on the other end answered, I heard men talking in the background and then guess what?

They hung up on me!!!

Which sort of indicated to me that (maybe) the people answering the line were somehow manipulating the call, so even though I had the right answer, and even though my call probably got through before Kenneth Lowe's (I have my phone bill to prove when the call was made) I was not the right person that they wanted to win.

I sincerely hope that the contest was not rigged by some type of caller-ID system. I did want everyone to know what I experienced.
Comments United States TV, Music & Video
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Apr, 2007 by   Scotty B. 0 Votes
Yes the man screwed you over again. Or maybe with hundreds of people answering the phone the winner had already been picked and there was no reason to talk to you. But damn the entire world for not revolving around you. I know you should have won...
 8th of Mar, 2009 by   complainer 0 Votes
I, too, question the integrity and legitimacy of the HGTV Dream Home Give away sweepstakes. I've been entering the sweepstakes for the last 3 homes. I also called to answer the trivia questions during the so-called live air show time. I, unfortunately didn't get through at all. I believe the entire thing is a scam. The people who win are actors. And all of this scamming is just to get more people to view HGTV programs and purchase their products.
 24th of Nov, 2012 by   morekare 0 Votes
Of course the sweepstakes is a SCAM!!! AND YOU ARE A SUCKER! Do you really think that HGTV can afford to give away a home during this, the Greatest Depression since the 1930's???? Wake up, sucker.
 18th of Mar, 2013 by   Tom Thompson 0 Votes
So much to consider. First, the mail in entries are sent to an address in Tennessee and more than one HGTV winner was a resident of Tennessee and another from Kentucky . On a map you can cover the distance with a quarter. Compute the odds of that happening. Independant judging huh, I suspect that also is a fix. Winners seem not to be surprised and almost waiting the arrival of HGTV crew. One winner was having a house party when they arrive and appeared to be intoxicated. I believe the folks from
Tennessee have an advantage and maybe win from the mail-in as opposed to internet submissions. I have attempted to see the independant judging results with no avail. What are they hiding. There should be an organized protest of the HGTV contest. More hype to sell the show.
 20th of Apr, 2013 by   Pamela Genna 0 Votes
HGTV contests are rigged. Every winner is ready and waiting for the door bell to ring and then come tho the door (of their already beautiful home and obvious wealthy position in life). They never go to area codes that don't match their desire of aesthetics. The people that answer the door and their family and company are actors. Scam is hardly the word. Staged it the word, paid actors are the participants. As far as that lady that called in to win something, it would be no effort on their end to put a message to the callers that someone else had already won instead of leading people to believe that they had won so they thousands of people didn't continue to call. Even if the people were called ahead it time to set up the "surprise" win, why are they already wealthy and already living in wonderland neighborhoods? HOAX HOAX HOAX
 23rd of Apr, 2013 by   maremare75 0 Votes
Just because they are waiting by the door doesn't mean the contest is rigged. They have to notify them in advance. how they are chosen to win is legitimate.
 24th of Aug, 2013 by   Patzzz 0 Votes
I saw an HGTV special a while back where they revealed the process of how a winner is chosen. But what they don't show is EXACTLY WHAT happens AFTER they open that envelope or read the name from the computer. Fact is, they claim they do a background check on the winner. And when they check out that person and find ANYTHING they don't like, they throw that name away & pick again. This is a step that we don't see. I think this is pathetic, and lofty and unfair.

The people entering the contest have no clue what this BACKGROUND criteria is. Perhaps if I knew they weren't going to let someone win who lived in a rowhome in Baltimore, I wouldn't waste my time entering. It costs at least 50 cents to mail a contest entry. Imagine all the people that HGTV doesn't want to win who enter the contest every year. It's so outrageously unfair and unnecessary.

It is suspicion of the highest level every time they arrive at the well-manicured single family home with lots of room for their staff & vehicles. I recall seeing just one show where the winner was a college student living in an apartment. Everyone else had a single family. I don't think the whole contest is a scam. However, the picking of the winner is on the level of the Nixon conspiracy.

But they will be caught one day. In our world, everything is uncovered eventually. An insider from HGTV will lose his/her job and write a tell-all book or somebody will learn something by accident. Their time will come.
 26th of Jan, 2014 by   truthmongerdotinfo 0 Votes
The lady who started this thread, you verify what I've been thinking. I wrote HGTV because the previous winners had been minority females. After I complained about this, the last winner - miraculously - was a White American Gentile Man. And yes, it has crossed my mind that the winners are actors. My brother agreed, saying it was just another paying gig for them. They'd never bite the hand that feeds by spilling the beans on this fraud.

5 Best Ways To Get Free Stuff