logo

Google
Unauthorized debit of game
4. (19 mins ago)
C & N Imaging Products
Returned products - now they want money
5. (1 hr 33 mins ago)
Magnavox
Shuts off for no reason

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Ford Motor Company, West Virginia Complaints & Reviews - Fusion Battery Terminal Corrosion

Ford Motor Company Contacts & Informations

Ford Motor Company

Posted:    Margie

Fusion Battery Terminal Corrosion

Ford Motor Company
West Virginia
My 2006 Fusion had 37, 000 miles on it (36, 000 was warranty) when it left me sitting. The battery terminal had corroded in half, the battery post was damaged, and a jumper wire was also corroded. I had been religious about having the car serviced (I was travelling for cancer treatments and needed something dependable) and had it in for a final once over and oil change at 35, 900 mi. The car was only 2 yrs. old !! There is no way that the terminal should have caused all of that damage !! Our dealership couldn't do anything since it was out of warranty, but they did say they would give us back a percentage of the cost - don't know what percent. It's cost me over $400 so far and the jumper wire is well over another $450. Ford won't do anything. There was a new Mercury in for the same thing when we had my car there. Too coincidental. I've written their customer complaint dept. for months - they just send back form letters saying there is nothing they can do. We have been a Ford family all of our lives - but no more.
Comments United States Cars, Parts & Vehicles
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Feb, 2009 by   Mike 0 Votes
OMG! I just had the same thing happen today with my 2004 Ford Expedition. Always serviced by Ford, on time or even before schedule. Took it in for the 60K check-up and got an initial $1, 223 quote, I had some other "elective" services completed. Battery replacement = $129 and battery cables = $460. Reason you ask? Because the battery started to fail (it was cranking just fine when I dropped it off) and when it fails it leaks acid through the posts. This caused the cable to fuse to the post.

I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm definitely a fisherman - this one stinks!
 6th of Feb, 2009 by   Josh 0 Votes
I have the exact same problem you described! Except it happened at 30, 000 miles in a Walmart parking lot. I went into Walmart and got a small battery cable + terminal and pliers for $12 and fixed it. I then took it into a dealership and they said it would cost $800 to replace the battery cable. I declined paying $800. After about 6 months that small cable isn't doing the job and is now having trouble starting and charging the battery. It is now at 40, 000 miles but I have a dealership warranty up to 60, 000 miles. I took it in and asked them to fix it under that warranty. They said that this fix was not covered under my extended warranty. I asked them to fix it under the bumper to bumper warranty because I had brought it in at 30, 000 miles, right after it happened and at the 35, 000 mile checkup. They said they would get back to me. They called back and said it is not covered because the car is over 36, 000 miles even though I had brought it in to fix it while it was under warranty. They could only offer me a discount total cost to fix $600. I declined again and I'm planning on calling the customer complaint dept.
 26th of Mar, 2009 by   EltonG 0 Votes
See pictures of NEW Ford Fusion full or Rust/Corrosuin at www.faceford.com
 10th of Apr, 2009 by   sergio 0 Votes
Conclusion.

FORD MOTOR COMPANY SUCKS!!!

Same problem in fusion 2007 38000 miles( all the services in the book at the correct miles and they do not avoid this problem whit a few bucks puting anticorrosion agent in the terminals that is what stinks in the dealers ) the good thing live near matamotos mexico and for 20 dls they fixed. they weld the cables to a brannew terminal and put anti corrosion in the terminal (autozone have it for under 5 bucks)
 30th of Aug, 2009 by   SAY NO TO FORDS 0 Votes
I had about the same thing happen to me as well.I, had a 2008 ford fussion that I bought in oct 07 when I bought this car it only had 3 miles on the odmenter.
I as well bought the ford extined warrnty for extra 75, 000 miles . On Aug., 19.2009 on a hot san antino, TX night about 9:30 pm I was coming out of a class on lackland AFB.I got in my car to start it and it made a bad sound that I found to be funny.When I tried to drive doiwn the road it wolud only go 20miles an hour so I called the warrnty hot line and they sent a tow truck to come pick me up but when they got their the car started up with no problem. Stuck me as quit odd so The tow guy said he would follow me home to make sure it didn't brake down on the high way . Once I got home I let the car cool off open the hood to find the postive cable very croted yet I had my car seviced every 3000 miles and tires rotated yet this problem was never found. So the next day I drove the car to the ford dealer ship and the air bag light was on the whole time after sitting for 2 hours I was told the cable was croted and battrey dead and computer parts for acculratrion where covered in carbon and I needed a new fuel fillter .So the guy hooded me up with a rental and told me to come back that monday morning and the car would be fixed .I get their to pick up the car and it was fixed then the guy tells me that my extined warrnty does cover the computer for the car and the next time this happends I'll be forking out close to 3000dollars. Even then with the warrnty they would get to determan weather it was lack of mantiance or worn out part if lack of mantiance. I would still pay for the parts and labor even with the extined warrnty. I said to my self never agin and traded the car in on a 09 nissan sentra never agin will I deal with ford. FUCK THE FROD ADVANTAGE!! THEY CAN STICK IT! THE FROD ONLY HAD 23, 500 ON IT!
 19th of Sep, 2009 by   BobMattEric 0 Votes
The battery in my Explorer failed at 41.000 miles. The guy from AAA pointed out the corrosuin on the battery cables. Before the battery failed my Serius radio was working just fine. The radio quit working when the battery failed because of a short in the part. The radio works and the satellite is being received from Serius, but the $500.00 part in the radio that allows the signal throgh is not working. This is a Ford problem not a Serius problem. The dealer tells me that this is considered an "uncommon repair" but there is nothing he can do about it. Back to GM products for me when the lease is up!
 12th of Feb, 2010 by   06Fusion 0 Votes
I just took my '06 FOrd Fusion in because the cover to the oil pan flew off (second time in 1 year). Got it fixed (luckily was still covered under the 1 year warranty of the original work) but the very next day the check engine light came on. It seems that every time I take it in for something another things breaks. The check engine light was my thermostat breaking and my fan had to be replaced. They also told me that the positive cable going to my cable was corroded. They said that they wouldn't even touch it unless I agreed to replace the cable because they said it was about to break. I am going to shope around but they quoted my $250 for the cable and another $120 for the battery. I have about 56, 000 miles on the car and have been very particular with the maintenance. It as if it happened overnight. I always used to take my car to the Ford dealership for oil changes until my oil pan flew off on the interstate. I started taking it to Wal-Mart and they were the ones that told me I had corrosion on my battery. I am just as perplexed as the rest of you.
 19th of Nov, 2012 by   s.c.bryan 0 Votes
I am currently having problems with a leaky battery, which came with the 2007 ford fusion, that I am still paying on. My car would not start up this morning. I had to call AAA to get my car to run. That's when I was told that I had a leaky battery. I use to own a 1997 old Chevy Caviler, I never had a problem with a leaky battery. Old glory, was good to me until I finally donated it. The acid from the battery damaged the terminal cable, so now I'm told I have to pay over $200.00 for the terminal, battery, labor, 3yr warranty. My warranty had expired over 2months ago. All the damage the leaky battery has caused, must of been leaking for a long while now. I have read all your complaints. Tomorrow I'm suppose to meet with the guys at Ford service center. I will let them know, that I know Ford has a problem with their batteries. There are so many complaints and recalls. I wish I could of known all this before I bought this car. I thank you for sharing your thoughts. I may share my complaints with a radio station. Someone who will listen.
 16th of Oct, 2013 by   notintheface 0 Votes
I have a 2008 ford fusion I purchased when it had 3 miles on it. Im having the same problem. The positive battery cable is corroded and is almost broken in half now. Its not an easy fix because of all the wires that run into that cable. Whoever thought of this design was a real genius
 24th of Oct, 2013 by   MHODGE 0 Votes
I live in Texas. This has happened to me on my 2011 Ford Fusion. My battery was corroded at 15, 000 miles and they cleaned it up. My battery was under warranty but Ford is specific on what they will do and wont do. Since my battery tested positive Ford would not replace the battery. Then at 34, 000 miles I got an oil change. The dealership is saying they told me I needed to get my battery cleaned again but they didn't. So now at 36, 959 my car stops working. My husband looked under the hood and told me to come see this so I did. It was a grapefruit size corrosion o my battery. I called the dealership and they said we told you that you needed to clean you battery. I agued and said no you didn't. I spoke the manager then to the GM. Out of $382.00 Ford was willing to pay $150 and I would be stuck with $230. I said no my battery was under warranty and they refused to change it because Ford wouldn't let them. I think it is bullshit. I do not think I will be buying a Ford anytime soon. I told them since they think my car was good enough to drive out of the lot with 3 months ago with corrosion on the battery they could have this car back and I will trade it in. I will never go through Auto Nation again for car repairs or oil changes. My husband now got the positive cable for $128 and the dealership wanted to charge me $182. Also Ford will only pay $150 if I buy the part there and did the work there. I said no my husband can do it but FORD won't pay their portion that way. Ridiculous.
 27th of Jan, 2014 by   Sigh! 0 Votes
2010 Fusion. Same problem. Battery harness replaced due to corrosion. Battery had just been replaced 2 years earlier . 38000.00 miles on car. Had to fight to get Ford to do anything. Harness should be covered under warranty. Costs were high. Ford should do a recall on this item it appears
 30th of Sep, 2014 by   Christine Robbins 0 Votes
Just had the same problem on my 2012 Ford Fusion. Corrosion on the positive battery cable and the car was at 38000 miles. $575 for parts and labor, the equivalent of two car payments and I've only had it 2 years. The car is 25 months old, parked in a garage (sheltered by the elements) each night. There is no reason this should be happening - and as often as it does. Ford should recall and fix the problem. I plan to fight this with Ford - and will also let them know that after a lifetime of owning Ford cars (and only Ford cars), I do not plan to purchase another one if this problem is not fixed and resolved.

Credit Report Ripoff?