logo

jones,taylor & thompson
Golpe até no BRASIL
2. (25 mins ago)
BB&T Bank
They will flat ruin you!
3. (35 mins ago)
Somethingsphishy.com
Don't ever buy from them
4. (45 mins ago)
Skansen Kennel
Puppy Mill
5. (55 mins ago)
National Seating and M0bility

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Empire Today Complaints & Reviews - Do not do business with these ripoffs!

Empire Today Contacts & Informations

Empire Today

Posted:    Valerie

Do not do business with these ripoffs!

We contacted Empire for an estimate for some hardwood flooring during their 50% off Christmas sale. The sales rep came out, measured, showed us some samples, and said the laminate would be our best choice in a high traffic area, and he had the same stuff in his house. He quoted us 320 square foot for a price of $3900.00, or $12.19 a sq.ft. which included removing and hauling the carpet and some tile. Since the holidays were a couple weeks away, we went ahead with Empire. When I asked the rep about the 50% off deal, he pointed to the more expensive hardwood sample and said "It's 50% of that stuff" and walked out the door!

After several calls to which there was no response, I finally spoke with a Mr. John Tyra who was the sales manager for the So. Cal region. He informed me that the 50% off was for material only, not labor, to which I agreed. However, when he said that the price of the laminate (which in my opinion, is of average to inferior quality) was $260.00 a box and that my price WAS the 50% off, I couldn't believe what I was being told!

I will tell everyone I know NOT TO DO BUSINESS with these ripoffs.
Comments United States Building, Construction
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

12th of Feb, 2007 by   Empire-Today 0 Votes
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and are currently researching this matter. You will be contacted within 48 hours to address your concerns in full detail.
 14th of May, 2007 by   Not so excited anymore +1 Votes
After reading the multiple complaints about Empire I will be sure to steer clear. Poor customer service + inflated prices + snake oil salesmen = bad business.
 4th of Jun, 2007 by   Jared McAnally -1 Votes
So... I don't understand your complaint. Do you you have a point here or are you just complaining because you're a cheapskate?
 27th of Jun, 2007 by   Greg Roberts +1 Votes
This company is the most crooked company i ever worked for. I hope someone sues there ass one day. Then they will learn!
 4th of Jul, 2007 by   Stacey Crowe +1 Votes
My husband and I requested a free estimate from EMPIRE TODAY on 06/27/07. We are pregnant and wanted to have laminate flooring installed throughout our home so our baby would have a nice home to live in once she arrives. The salesman came out the next day to provide our estimate. The estimate was 8 times the amount of an estimate that I received from another company. I told the salesman the price that I was expecting to pay, that we could not afford those kind of prices, and that I was very sorry for wasting his time. He told me that he was "teaching me the facts of life" and that I "was delirious in my thinking to believe that I could get that kind of pricing". I told him that we were done here and asked him to leave. He did not leave; instead, he called his "manager" to tell him about the quote we received (this time it wasn't what he said, it was his tone). I had to leave the room for a moment because I was so disrespected by this salesman in my own home. I came back and told the salesman that "I am not trying to be disrespectful, but you need to leave my home." He still would not leave. Instead, he passively agreed with me as he sat on my couch. I had to leave the room again because I was so angry that he was disrespectful and belittling of my decision and research. Thankfully, my husband was at home and politely escorted him to the door. Yes, I am pregnant; however, I know when I am being disrespected, ripped-off, and belittled. My purpose is to warn future consumers: DO NOT ALLOW EMPIRE TODAY TO COME INTO YOUR HOME!
 22nd of Jul, 2007 by   Hayley Cavallaro +1 Votes
In April 2007 my husband and I purchased flooring for our entire home, laminate and carpet. We wanted wood flooring but our slimey sales guy talked us into laminate. He said it was "the BMW of flooring" and that our warranty was the best possible. Well, bottom line is we paid way too much for cheap flooring that has lifted, changed color and scratches very easily. We have filed several complaints with the company and are now going to pursue them in court. I don't like being screwed and lied to. They say you can install this flooring in places where water are but it changed to a milkey white color so they lied. Our sales man told us so many lies it is inconceivable that someone can do business like this. Please don't use this company. I wish we could go back and use someone else. We feel so scammed and screwed. Our warranty says right on it that it covers the laminate changing colors but Empire said that "it is not a factory defect". Our carpet is still shedding after 3 months. PLEASE don't use them.
 6th of Oct, 2007 by   Judith Bird +1 Votes
three and a half years ago I purchased carpeting for my townhouse. I had living, dining, stairs and hallway. I called Empire (first mistake) they came right away and promised next day instlallation. They were pricier than the other companies I called, but I was in a rush for the carpeting. I was told it would wear well and wouldn't stain (my concern was the dining room). After only three and half years the carpeting was totally destroyed. No matter how many times we steam or spot cleaned the stains never came out. The carpet was flat and had faded. I decided I had enough of the carpeting and was told laminate was the way to go. I called Empire again (second mistake). Really nice saleslady came to my home and told me the carpeting really should have worn better. Measured for laminate (same areas except no stairs). The price was $5800.00 I told her no way. She called the company and told them about my complaint for the carpeting and they agreed to take $1800.00 off the price. Again, I was in a rush (baby shower for daughter next weekend) I now have my son, daughter-in-law and 2 year old grandson living with me. I questioned the saleperson a number of times while she was here about baby toys, etc. She told me the only thing that would scratch the floor would be a knife or scissors. Well, three months after installation, there are so many scratches mostly from the baby's toys. I called Empire and they sent someone down. He told me I was cleaning the floor improperly. I should not be using a dust mop, that it only scratches any grit coming through the screens onto the floor. He also said my cat was scratching the floor. (Cat only walks on floor, does not slide on floor) Had an installer come back and they said it would be $2000 to replace the scratched area. Empire said they would replace the floor but I had to pay $568 for labor. I wrote the manufacturer and they told me their warranty specifically states any plastic wheels (i.e. baby toys) would scratch the floor and they need to have felt bottoms. Well my sister's salesperson took a key to the sample floor and showed her it wouldn't scratch. I believe they must have treated the samples with something to inhibit scratching. I will continue to pursue them in any way that I can. My first course of action is to let EVERYONE I know how they lied to me, my sister and all these other people. Pass the word. STAY AWAY FROM EMPIRE TODAY
 29th of Sep, 2008 by   susan figgs +1 Votes
I also had a bad feeling with empire, after ordering my flooring, and luckly I was here when they came to install it, because it did not look anything like the sample I had picked out. After being treated like I was a pain in the butt for asking questions and canceling my order, I found a new company the next day who is going to install the new flooring I wanted for 11 hundred dollars cheaper, wow, can you believe it.
 7th of Jan, 2013 by   Linda Ackerman 0 Votes
In June of 2007 I contracted Empire to put both laminate and carpet in my new condo. When the installers were through, I was missing my flat screen TV, microwave and several smaller items. They were the only people in my home so there is no question as to how these items disappeared. We immediately filed a police report and contacted the salesperson and Empire Headquarters. It is 2013 and this issue remains unresolved and unreplied to. They did not respond to requests from the police department or me. I am stunned that this kind of business behavior is allowed to go on in America. Empire surely shows us where things have gone wrong and they are using every ugly tactic to remain in business. Purchasers beware.
 14th of Jan, 2013 by   ET Customer Support 0 Votes
Linda, we understand that we were in contact with you when your concerns were brought to our attention several years ago. We take such issues very seriously, and if you would like to discuss this matter again with us, please contact us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or customersupport@empiretoday.com. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager
 25th of Sep, 2013 by   Juliet C. 0 Votes
OMG--do NOT buy bamboo flooring from Empire! We purchased a condo in Singer Island, FL, in August 2012. We had Empire install bamboo floors in the bedrooms in April 2013; we saw immediate problems with buckling, bubbles, etc. Empire came out in June to "repair." Again, same buckling and bubbles. We called again; this time, they said they'd have to send an "installation supervisor." She came and agreed that there were installation problems (no allowance for expansion), and she found some green mold in one small spot in a bedroom. She had installer come out and "fix" the other bedroom. No surprise: still buckling and bubbles! Now Empire is claiming that the problems are entirely due to "a leak in the condo, " and they refuse to return to repair.
Before purchase of the condo, we naturally had a full inspection done; no leaks. So, Empire is tired of trying to make this job right and it's easier to blame the customer. I guess we're just out around $4, 000. If Empire knows that South Florida is humid, and bamboo floors just won't cut it, then why are they selling bamboo floors in South Florida???
 26th of Sep, 2013 by   ET Customer Support 0 Votes
Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention, Juliet. We regret that the issues you’ve been experiencing have not yet been resolved, as we never want our customers to be disappointed in their products. We understand that we’ve been in contact with you about this matter, and we will be following up with you again soon to work towards a resolution. You can also reach us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or customersupport@empiretoday.com. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service manager
 6th of Oct, 2014 by   Surge Girl 0 Votes
This company is defiantly a scam. I did flooring with my dad, and we put this in his whole basement, costing us 350.00$ that was 3 rooms, and a bathroom, plus the foam ( laminate wood is what we did) I just had them come and give me a quote Saturday. They are having the 50/50/50 sale right now. I don't know how the hell they stay in business, since most stores like Lowes and Home Depot help you learn to DIY. The flooring I liked which was Timberline color: Lumberjack Hickory would have been 14, 000 $ for my 641 SQ FT. HA!!! They said only around 7, 000 $ because of the sale. I looked it up at Lowes and said eh I should just do it my self. It's only 1.99 $ a SQ FT which means with the foam and the new base board I might spend 1500 $ LMFAO. I'm doing it myself. Its really not hard you just have to be able to make good cuts... NOT TO MENTION. I just moved into my house 5 months ago, I am a neat freak, I tore all the Berber carpets out the day I moved in, and all the carpet tac tracks, also I painted the floors as prep since the previous owners had pets who peed and crapped all over. I have very minimal furniture. They have no old materials to haul away and the area is basically a cake walk for them. STILL they quoted around 5000-7000$ that is F****ng ridiculous!!! If anyone wants laminate...you buy the material and I will come put it in.. Ill charge you 500-1000 bucks...You save huge and I make a few bucks! My dad just did a job for a guy who works at Lowes, he did his 3 bedrooms and hallway... the guy got a deal on his material because he works at Lowes. but besides that my dad only charged him 600$ for all the installation!!!
 8th of Oct, 2014 by   ET Customer Support 0 Votes
Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We’re disappointed that our all inclusive pricing did not meet your expectations. We understand that you’ve chosen to go with another company, but we would still like the opportunity to address your concerns and better explain our pricing, current promotion, and price match guarantee. If you’re still interested in speaking with us, please contact us at 888-588-2315 x4195 or customersupport@empiretoday.com. Thank you. Jeanette Ramey, National Customer Service Manager

Student Falls For Nigerian Fraud