logo
search

Empire Today Complaints & Reviews - Do not do business with these ripoffs!

Empire Today Contacts & Informations

Empire Today

Posted:

Do not do business with these ripoffs!

We contacted Empire for an estimate for some hardwood flooring during their 50% off Christmas sale. The sales rep came out, measured, showed us some samples, and said the laminate would be our best choice in a high traffic area, and he had the same stuff in his house. He quoted us 320 square foot for a price of $3900.00, or $12.19 a sq.ft. which included removing and hauling the carpet and some tile. Since the holidays were a couple weeks away, we went ahead with Empire. When I asked the rep about the 50% off deal, he pointed to the more expensive hardwood sample and said "It's 50% of that stuff" and walked out the door!

After several calls to which there was no response, I finally spoke with a Mr. John Tyra who was the sales manager for the So. Cal region. He informed me that the 50% off was for material only, not labor, to which I agreed. However, when he said that the price of the laminate (which in my opinion, is of average to inferior quality) was $260.00 a box and that my price WAS the 50% off, I couldn't believe what I was being told!

I will tell everyone I know NOT TO DO BUSINESS with these ripoffs.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Building, Construction
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

12th of Feb, 2007 by    0 Votes
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and are currently researching this matter. You will be contacted within 48 hours to address your concerns in full detail.
 14th of May, 2007 by    +1 Votes
After reading the multiple complaints about Empire I will be sure to steer clear. Poor customer service + inflated prices + snake oil salesmen = bad business.
 4th of Jun, 2007 by    -1 Votes
So... I don't understand your complaint. Do you you have a point here or are you just complaining because you're a cheapskate?
 27th of Jun, 2007 by    +1 Votes
This company is the most crooked company i ever worked for. I hope someone sues there ass one day. Then they will learn!
 4th of Jul, 2007 by    +1 Votes
My husband and I requested a free estimate from EMPIRE TODAY on 06/27/07. We are pregnant and wanted to have laminate flooring installed throughout our home so our baby would have a nice home to live in once she arrives. The salesman came out the next day to provide our estimate. The estimate was 8 times the amount of an estimate that I received from another company. I told the salesman the price that I was expecting to pay, that we could not afford those kind of prices, and that I was very sorry for wasting his time. He told me that he was "teaching me the facts of life" and that I "was delirious in my thinking to believe that I could get that kind of pricing". I told him that we were done here and asked him to leave. He did not leave; instead, he called his "manager" to tell him about the quote we received (this time it wasn't what he said, it was his tone). I had to leave the room for a moment because I was so disrespected by this salesman in my own home. I came back and told the salesman that "I am not trying to be disrespectful, but you need to leave my home." He still would not leave. Instead, he passively agreed with me as he sat on my couch. I had to leave the room again because I was so angry that he was disrespectful and belittling of my decision and research. Thankfully, my husband was at home and politely escorted him to the door. Yes, I am pregnant; however, I know when I am being disrespected, ripped-off, and belittled. My purpose is to warn future consumers: DO NOT ALLOW EMPIRE TODAY TO COME INTO YOUR HOME!
 22nd of Jul, 2007 by    +1 Votes
In April 2007 my husband and I purchased flooring for our entire home, laminate and carpet. We wanted wood flooring but our slimey sales guy talked us into laminate. He said it was "the BMW of flooring" and that our warranty was the best possible. Well, bottom line is we paid way too much for cheap flooring that has lifted, changed color and scratches very easily. We have filed several complaints with the company and are now going to pursue them in court. I don't like being screwed and lied to. They say you can install this flooring in places where water are but it changed to a milkey white color so they lied. Our sales man told us so many lies it is inconceivable that someone can do business like this. Please don't use this company. I wish we could go back and use someone else. We feel so scammed and screwed. Our warranty says right on it that it covers the laminate changing colors but Empire said that "it is not a factory defect". Our carpet is still shedding after 3 months. PLEASE don't use them.
 19th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

Empire Today - The secret is out!

They used to have a TV commercial showing in the Southern California area that showed a dirty old pervert in an Empire uniform rolling around on the floor with a bunch of kids. They subsequently pulled the commercial, but it's TOO LATE!! THE SECRET IS OUT!!
 19th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes
Hey!!! What's your major malfunction, jackass?

Dirty old perverts need love, too!
 6th of Oct, 2007 by    +1 Votes
three and a half years ago I purchased carpeting for my townhouse. I had living, dining, stairs and hallway. I called Empire (first mistake) they came right away and promised next day instlallation. They were pricier than the other companies I called, but I was in a rush for the carpeting. I was told it would wear well and wouldn't stain (my concern was the dining room). After only three and half years the carpeting was totally destroyed. No matter how many times we steam or spot cleaned the stains never came out. The carpet was flat and had faded. I decided I had enough of the carpeting and was told laminate was the way to go. I called Empire again (second mistake). Really nice saleslady came to my home and told me the carpeting really should have worn better. Measured for laminate (same areas except no stairs). The price was $5800.00 I told her no way. She called the company and told them about my complaint for the carpeting and they agreed to take $1800.00 off the price. Again, I was in a rush (baby shower for daughter next weekend) I now have my son, daughter-in-law and 2 year old grandson living with me. I questioned the saleperson a number of times while she was here about baby toys, etc. She told me the only thing that would scratch the floor would be a knife or scissors. Well, three months after installation, there are so many scratches mostly from the baby's toys. I called Empire and they sent someone down. He told me I was cleaning the floor improperly. I should not be using a dust mop, that it only scratches any grit coming through the screens onto the floor. He also said my cat was scratching the floor. (Cat only walks on floor, does not slide on floor) Had an installer come back and they said it would be $2000 to replace the scratched area. Empire said they would replace the floor but I had to pay $568 for labor. I wrote the manufacturer and they told me their warranty specifically states any plastic wheels (i.e. baby toys) would scratch the floor and they need to have felt bottoms. Well my sister's salesperson took a key to the sample floor and showed her it wouldn't scratch. I believe they must have treated the samples with something to inhibit scratching. I will continue to pursue them in any way that I can. My first course of action is to let EVERYONE I know how they lied to me, my sister and all these other people. Pass the word. STAY AWAY FROM EMPIRE TODAY
 10th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
Seems like a stupid complaint. A guy rolls out carpet with children around. Seems like the homeowner isn't too bright to me. During construction you should get the kids out of the way rather than expect some carpet guy to watch those rug rats.
 29th of Sep, 2008 by    +1 Votes
I also had a bad feeling with empire, after ordering my flooring, and luckly I was here when they came to install it, because it did not look anything like the sample I had picked out. After being treated like I was a pain in the butt for asking questions and canceling my order, I found a new company the next day who is going to install the new flooring I wanted for 11 hundred dollars cheaper, wow, can you believe it.
 28th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes

Empire Today - is empire today scam ?
empire today
all states

are their prices right ?
do they treat their contractors like trash ?
I know for a fact empire-today lowered paying rates to their contractors but for some reason they are still charging the same ridiculos high prices to clients, is this fair ????
 28th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
 7th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes

Empire Today - Schedule
Empire Today
Texas

They where late...very very late. They said 9-11, they showed up around noon. I was his first call of the day too. He got lost...he had a GPS and he got lost!

If you are curiuos, they charge $11 per sqft installed for the cheap stuff. The 60% off is for the ugliest product they have and they say it is actually more (after 60% off) than the regular stuff...which tells me that it is either a lie or they charge way way to much.
 22nd of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
Just wanted to let you know I used to install carpet with a man who overcharged everyone! The reason they are late is because they are a bunch of drunks. It's a tough job and I'm sure there are good people out there installing, but do your homework on a company before you hire them. The installers are usually independent contractors and can get away with anything. Buyer beware!
 4th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes

Empire Today - no call back
Empire today
Ringwood
New Jersey

I also failed to mention that after they were done with the carpet installation, There was enough carpet left over to carpet a whole other room.Thanks for nothing Empire today!.I just love the way you get away with ripping off War Veterans and the Elderly.You should be ashamed of yourselves...Never again..!!!RUN FAR AWAY FROM THEM...FAST.
 7th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
they did lower our rates, and it seems the prices have stayed the same. Its a shame
 11th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
Thank you for bringing your installation experience to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience, and our team would like to work with you to explore a resolution. Please contact us at webcustomerservice@empiretoday.com so that we may be able to assist. You can also visit our online customer center at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service.

Sincerely,
Consumer Advocate Team
Empire Today, LLC
 11th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes
Advocate team... blows hard... these are 18-25 yr old bia-bia's at a computer desk at the home office laughing at you!---------------- Yes YOU!

stupid empire
 16th of Oct, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I wanted to install some hardwood floors in a space a little under 500qft. I had the empire guy come out, he quoted me about $3850. This would include the material (laminate) removal of carpet and disposal, Installation and taxes. I didn't know how much something like this would cost and this was the first quote I received so I told the empire guy we'd think about it. I did make a $25 deposit just incase to keep the quote.

I found an independant contractor which was referred by a family member. The guy came out and measured and quoted me about $1350. I also received another quote for about $1400 from another contractor that a friend reffered. I went with the $1350 guy and I couldn't be happier! The floors were installed within a day, he removed the old carpet and disposed of it, and he even did the molding. He did an awesome job.

I called Empire to cancel and get my deposit back, they tried to bring the price down to $3250, I told them no thanks and they cancelled my order. I just hope I get my deposit in the mail.

So yea.. I would definately agree that Empire Today is a SCAM.

Corporate Tax Scams