Doubleday Book Club

No customer service number

Doubleday Book Club
I feel like many who have had the UNFORTUNATE pleasure of getting involved with this book club --------am still dealing with there claims that I have not fullfilled my obligation even though I did nearly seven years ago. I actually over paid them and was asking for my money back (13.74), but they never responded. No CUSTOMER SERVICE number...and then seven years later( 9-27-04) I finally got a refund. I almost had a heart attack...

I was going to frame it...I already filed a complaint with the BBB...Then about two weeks ago (12-7-04) I got a letter stating I had not full filled my obligation and they were turning my closed account over to a collection agency.

It is sad because I just got a check for the the over payment. How can a company get away with treating people like this. I know others have experienced this...Helpful info I found at the BBB: real numbers to reach these people ( 1-516-490-4550 and 1-717-697-0311). I hope this helps someone who is endlessly writing letters like I did for close to four years.
Complaint comments Comments (25) Complaint country United States Complaint category Products & Services

12th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I would like to share here that there is a telephone number to which you can reach Doubleday Book Club customer service. That number is:

The reason that this number is not toll free is that it keeps the overhead costs low so that those who wish to purchase books through this company will have a lower cost to pay than from other companies. This is the reason that was given to me by a CSR of Doubleday Book Club.

Additionally, you will have to have your account number (9 digits) prior to calling as this is the only sure way that you'll get expedient help.

I neither agree or disagree with the information above about the company with the exception that there is, in fact, a number to which you can reach customer service for this company.
 2nd of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
*** NEW NUMBER AS OF MARCH 2, 2010*** 717-918-2665

Ordered "Special Search" books (which apparently do not count toward obligation even though I paid $50 for a set of seven-books), which still have not arrived today, 3/2/10, even though I ordered them 2/6/10.

I emailed, via the website a week and a half ago, but was told I cannot cancel an order that's been shipped. Today, I called and demanded a refund for goods not received. I am very disappointed.

My refund is promised within 24 hours. We'll see..
 23rd of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
For 4 yrs they harassed me then sent my info to a collection agency. i paid. guess why i didnt follow through on my FOUR books at regular price deal????!!! They had NO books i likes or was interested in. Their selection f- in SUCKED. They had NO books that were good. Its like harlequin romances...BORING.
 1st of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
I just got off the phone with Doubleday...supposedly I ordered 2 books from them 2 years ago, I'd never heard anything about these books until this March. I asked for the order information and when they gave me the information they had for me the credit card number didn't match the credit card I've had for almost 3years now. I've never recieved any books from this company and now they've sent this bill to a collection agency. When I told the collection company that this is not my debt they told me just to pay it and then go to the company and complain. I don't get how company's can do this to people, they charge people for crap they didn't get and then screw with their credit and the collection companies are just as bad.
 22nd of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes
I have received a bill from company call RJM Acquisitions LLC about Doubleday Book Club saying, I owed a $137.56. I have never order any products from this company. Also its eleven years later that they are asking for this money, I will not pay for something that I don't have. I don't agree with this company policy of business. I will not deal with any company that treats their customers in this way. Thank you, Mary Colosa
 29th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
The Doubleday book club has used my credit card unaurthorized by me. I did not order anything from them to cause them to make this charge and now I face overdraft fees because of this. Also I have already fulfilled my membership requirements and this is the second time I have asked them to cancel my account. I hope others have a better experience than I did.
 30th of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
Doubleday's official number is as follows: (717)918-2665. This is THE customer service number along with billing, and ordering your books or denying your Editor's Pick. I have been with Doubleday for many, many years (20+). The best things about it (after you fulfill your commitment) is the amazing price breaks you get for ordering (especially online). I just ordered the Stephanie Meyer complete collection, which includes, "Twilight, " "New Moon, " Ecplipse, " "Breaking Dawn, " and the newest novel "The Second Short Life of Bree Tanner." It was $79.95, but when I refused it, Doubleday took me to a new page that allowed me to buy for the low price here... of $53.03 (incl tax), shipping is free!!!

So if you want the real number, use mine as listed above. Works like a champ, everytime!!! Tried the number under that "arkiefenarkie" left - it is a different company all together.

Re: Mary Colosa: I had the same thing happen to me with Quality Paperbacks Book Club. Moreover, it took them 5 years to put me to collections for $176.95 for books I never ordered, nor had I ever been a member of QPBC, or ever received a bill. When their creditor calls me, I tell them "I don't owe you and I only pay those that I owe!" He tried to cut me off telling me that I owe THEM, but I never pay collectors, only the original creditor. Since then I have call QPBC and they have erased he entire debt!!! If you don't ask, you never receive ... and I ALWAYS ask to speak with a manager, not just a C.S. person, cuz they can't reverse the charges as their Manager can.

Just my opinion, and you all know what those are like :)
 26th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I called the first number in this posting and it was not a working number. However, the 1-717-697-0311 number worked. They answer under a different name but were able to transfer me to Doubleday's customer service. Thanks so much for posting this.
 31st of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I have ordered from Double Day several times and I recieved the packet and only liked 2 books to fulfil my committments so I ordered 4 that I would like to have read. I got one book that I never even ordered so I called and said I would keep that and they could cancel the one that was back ordered. About 2 weeks ago, I recieved a letter stating that I had my total committment left to fulfil and they would charge me 72.00 or something like that if I didnt fill the committment. I called in and asked how this is possible if I just fulfilled the committment. I looked closer at all my statements and the account numbers are different! So I have 2 accounts with them at the same time in the same name but a different email. I cannot log in . I have tried several different emails and passwords and nothing works. I have emailed them and they will not email back. Every time that I call it says that their closed. It makes it kinda hard to get anything done. I will be glad when this account is done .. it too will be closed and I will no longer do business with them.
 7th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
This company used to be above-board and honorable-no longer-I have been trying to cancel my membership-Have done so
via e-mail and written notice-I have even had to cancel a credit-card, because would charge me, and never send the books, that I never ordered. Then when I complained, would send the book, that I would refuse, lucky for me, my credit card company is reliable and made them refund my money-still I am on the "books". I just don't know what to do anymore-I am actually thinking of contacting my lawyer about this, seems silly-but they need to stop strong-arm selling buy ripping off people-I urge anyone thinking of joining this book club - to not.
 14th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
I am having problems with this company too. They tell me I have to edit my now expired credit card on their site but there is not an option to. It will let me get as far as changing the expiration date but I want to change the whole credit card number. They also say that you can choose to pay with a credit card or to get billed later and yet there is absolutely no place to check "bill me later". what a crock! I have emailed them this several times and I keep getting the same answer back which has nothing to do with the question. Its really strange, its almost as if its being automated cuz apparently noone is actually reading what I am asking. I will never use this club again, they stink.
 14th of Mar, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I guess I am not sure what "your attitude towards complaint" means??
 8th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
(717) 918-2665 - I got my account canceled. When you log back in after canceling your account, it says suspended and displays their customer service number. Hope this helps someone.

5th of May, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I was suckered into signing up for Doubleday through a "risk free" trial that offered 5 books for 99 cents each + S&H. I was billed @ $15. It turns out that "risk free" actually means that I have a COMMITMENT to purchase an additional 4 books at regular pricing. To cancel the account and commitment I will need to return the
5 "trial" books and pay the shipping! So I'll be out @ $30 for the NO RISK, FREE TRIAL offer. I was only able to find a customer service number through this complaint site.
 11th of May, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I want to say thank you again to Mary for posting Doubleday's phone number. I was not real happy to have allowed myself to be drawn in by the initial offer of 5 books for 99 cents (which actually turned out to cost over $27 by the time they added on all the fees and shipping. In fact, I was very irate about the fact that the additional charges were not disclosed until AFTER the order was already processed and it was too late to back out.

However, now that I am already in their clutches, I have decided to make the best of it, at least until I have met my obligation and can cancel (3 more books to go). I have used the customer service phone number, 1-717-918-2665, that I found on this website and called three times. I have to say, in defense of Doubleday (and this is the only thing I will say in their defense), that my experience with their customer service has been very positive. The first two calls, the ladies were extremely helpful in refunding me for books I did not want that were autoshipped. One of them promptly credited my bank card for a shipment I said I did not receive, without any proof or argument. On the last call, a few minutes ago, I had no problem cancelling the next autoship order before it goes out. I have to say that, unlike others, I am impressed with their customer service.

I will add another post when the times come to cancel my membership and let you know how that goes. I don't plan to order the last three books anytime soon, so it will be awhile.
 7th of Jun, 2011 by    +1 Votes
717-918-1069...I called this number and it is Doubleday Book Club. I have already fulfilled my commitment and called them to cancel the automatic shipping of books from their "featured selection" list, or cancel my membership if they were unable to do that. The customer service rep changed my account over to an "order only" status and said that they would no longer automatically ship me books from their "featured selection" list. What a relief, that drove me crazy! They would send me books automatically from their "featured selection", though I had not received an email on those particular books. Several times I received an email to respond to their "featured selection", which I did every time without fail, and they would turn around and either send me the books anyway, or send me other books that were not even on the "featured selection" list that month. I emailed them and they did, however, send me a shipping label (at their expense) to return the books, which I did. I will wait and see how it goes with the "order only" status on my account and see if they treat me right. If they continue to send me books automatically, I will cancel my account. I do like the fact that their books are much cheaper than buying them at a store, especially when Doubleday runs specials and their books are very inexpensive.
 17th of Jun, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Imagine my surprise after receiving an email from Doubleday stating that I had not fulfilled my requirement of ordering 4 books. (Last year, I received an email from them stating I still had one book left to order towards my commitment.) Called the 717 number listed above, asking for an audit of all the books I'd ordered since joining. Oddly enough, Doubleday doesn't keep order histories beyond 18 months. Really? A book club that almost insists upon everything being done virtually, and they don't have the capacity to keep order histories? I'm hoping I've saved that earlier email, stating that I have one book left...but if I didn't save it, I'll play their silly game. The email they sent has an order form on it. I'll simply mail it in and insist that they bill me as, oddly enough, I don't have the capacity to keep track of my credit card...which forced me to report it as lost/stolen...thereby canceling it.
 11th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes

Doubleday Book Club - Misleading Practices
Doubleday Book club

Doubleday Book Club uses misleading practices to send you books you do not request or want and to chrge your credit card without you realizing until it's too late. 1) DD did not recognize the extra book I purchased when I first joined as applying to my overall commitment, even though DD itself pushed the purchase specifically to help appply towards the final commitment.

2) The Featured Selections process is VERY misleading and seems set up to take your money without you knowing. You are supposed to get a Featured Selections Email which gives you the option to deline the 2 books offered. However, the Featured Selection actually offers 4 books but only lets you decline 2 of them. You have to visit the website to decline the 2 others, but the Featured Selection email does not tell you that, so when decline what is offered, they send you the other books and charge you for those and shipping and wrapping.

3) In a 3 week period, I not only got the Featured Selection email for 4 books, 2 of which I was allowed to decline, buta week AFTER the email, ANOTHER 2 Featured Selection books were posted to the website to be accepted/declined, and I received NO email!

4) Total cost of this process - over $75 in books that Doubleday misleads the visitor in having to pay for in November/December 2010.

Really, don't get sucked in to the promotion. You will find your credit card charged for books you don't even know have been added to your account as a Featured Selection - you literally have to check the website every few days to make sure you aren't getting something slipped into your account without you being told. BEWARE!!!
 26th of Sep, 2011 by    0 Votes
Block them. Easy as that.
 23rd of Jan, 2012 by    +1 Votes
when you fist start in this club you think that it is a good deal but they are just trying to get money out of you. they send you books that you didn't buy and then expect you to keep paying the charges from these books. This club really needs to make sure that their costumers understand what they are getting themselves into.

Contact Us