logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
WES.ORG
Bad customer service & delay of evaluation
2. (7 mins ago)
Award Notification Commission
award two million dollars
3. (18 mins ago)
Allegiant Air
flight attendants
4. (24 mins ago)
isharedmedia.com
I couldn’t browse my video and moderators ignored me
5. (26 mins ago)

Posted:    Jerry

Fraud and cheating

Dollar General
dollargeneral.com
On February 10 I bought a 'Wireless Gear' mobile phone charger 'for use with all Motorola, Nextel, and Blackberry phones' at Dollar General. I paid $7.00 plus tax. The charger would not work with my Motorola TFC139B. The next day I carried it back to Dollar General.

I was told that Dollar general does not warrant electronics, and that I would have to call the technical 'support' number on the merchandise box. Reluctantly, I did. There was no toll-free number, so I decided to spend a little extra to confirm what I already knew--'there is no one available to take your call.' This was on Wednesday morning at 9:00 and 9:20 AM CDT. If there is no one at these times, most likely there will never be.

But there was a remedy! I could return the merchandise (at my expense) to the importer with a $5.95 shipping/handling fee under the terms of 'ESI Cases and Accessories'' 'lifetime warranty.' No thanks! Being ripped off once in one week is enough.

In effect, Dollar General is selling cheap electronics at a not-too-cheap price with absolutely no customer support. Dollar General will not warrant it. The 'world's largest manufacturer of cellular and IPod accessories' did not have anyone to answer the phone in the middle of the week, but they have an air-tight 'lifetime warranty, ' if you are sucker enough to exercise it.

Over the past ten years, I have bought a little over $200.00 in electronic merchandise at Dollar General. Never again! That will cost them a lot more than seven bucks. How many hundreds or thousands of people will read this? How many of them will avoid electronic merchandise at Dollar General? Circuit City shot itself in the foot with this kind of customer service. Dollar General, take heed.
Comments United States Department Stores
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Mar, 2009 by   neener1737 0 Votes
I work for Dollar General. There is NO policy that states you can't return a cell phone charger or an eletrical product, as long as you have the reciept. If you don't have a reciept you may exchange it for any merchandise.Who ever was working at that store should be flogged. I let customers return cell phone chargers and other products on a daily basis. Dollar General is commited to making customers happy. The only thing we don't do returns on are cell phone minutes and Zone games that have been opened (Zone games can be exchanged for the same Zone game ) I would ask for Dollar Generals corporate customer service number !
 13th of Apr, 2009 by   LeafsFan2005 0 Votes
I work for DG as well and the policy is that we DO NOT refund car chargers or any other items that have been opened, receipt or not. That is per my DM per her RM and so forth. There are too many returns on stuff like that as it is and our stores were taking to big a loss to keep doing it.

But that doesn't mean I sucker customers into buying products even I know probably won't work for them. Since we sell only four types of chargers, I make sure I ask a few questions before recommending one and my associates are instructed to do the same. These chargers will not work on the newer models of the brands in particular, for example and we point this out. The same goes for Tracfones. They do not work in my area and anytime a customer asks about one, I don't recommend it to them.

But then you have the ones who won't take your advice, buy the product anyway and come back the next day wanting their money back. I tell them no. They complain and I still refuse. My DM said no and I'm not losing my job over excessive Tracfone returns. We lose money on them when we take them back. It's the reason they had to have the big promotion where you got the phone for a penny if you bought $30 in minutes. Too many people were returning them, ultimately costing DG money as the companies had to repackage a non-defective product and in turn passed the cost back to DG.
 23rd of May, 2009 by   Whiner 0 Votes
The two comments above from Dollar General employees are a perfect example of how inconsistent Dollar General is - one person at one store believes that this return is acceptable while another at presumably another store believes it's not because some twobit district manager somewhere said so. I've decided to stop shopping at DG myself, after I was recently asked to show ID for a ONE DOLLAR PURCHASE on a Visa card because "it's our policy, we have to ask" even though I've NEVER been asked for ID before and they asked NOBODY else for ID who was in line in front of me using credit cards for signature-based purchases. I have news for you, Dollar General: With the lackluster product variety you have and in our current economic climate, you would be foolish to drive customers away with on-the-fly policymaking that does nothing but drive shoppers away. You need us more than we need you.
 2nd of Sep, 2010 by   Mel20 0 Votes
I've bought one too..didnt work.
 19th of May, 2011 by   go there 0 Votes
For my experience the dollar general in manhiem pennsylvania, jipps you off every time you get to the register you end up paying more than the retail price said on the shelf.Looks like thier rippen there customers off whom they say they care about. False advertisement!!!

Last Minute School Shopping